Start by marking “Trapped - Gefangen: Roman” as Want to Read:
Trapped - Gefangen: Roman

Trapped - Gefangen: Roman

Jetzt zum stark reduzierten Sonderpreis (statt 4,99€!) Nur für kurze Zeit!

Matt Kearns hat zwei Möglichkeiten: kämpfen oder verstecken. Die Kreatur im alten Obstgarten wird den Rest übernehmen.
Drei Tage zuvor kam er an seinem Lieblingsplatz dieser Welt an, einer kleinen Hütte auf Michigans oberer Halbinsel.
Der Plan war, den Tod seines Vaters zu betrauern und herauszufinden
Published November 19th 2015 by Luzifer-Verlag (first published April 23rd 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Trapped - Gefangen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Trapped - Gefangen

Kimberly
THE PULLER is the debut novel by Michael Hodges. It appears that I am in the minority of readers in regards to this book, after reading some of the "rave reviews" that others left. Honestly, my frustration with this novel wasn't because of the author's writing, it was more on how the book was put together...

After the first chapter, I had a "suspicion" on where the story was going to go--that was bad enough; I don't like to be able to predict the ending so early on. However, what really bothered
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a brief version of the review. The full review can be found here on Sci-Fi & Scary.

The Puller is a solid debut work. Michael Hodges lays out his story with a pleasing steadiness. The slow-burn aspect of it put me off a bit at first and I was afraid it was going to drag on, but luckily things start picking up well before I hit the halfway point. It went from ‘a little creepy’ to ‘Okay, run now you idiot!’ with a swiftness I didn’t expect.

While The Pulleris a good man versus monster st
Robert
Jul 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To the people who have seen my various reviews on Amazon, you know I'm a huge fan of unique monster stories. The Puller was no slouch in this area and was a fun and exciting read. Characters were very well developed and it left you just enough in the dark as to what The Puller or the Being really was, let alone it's origins. You begin to really feel for the main character, especially with all of the stuff that he has dealt with and all that he has to deal with in the story. Very well written and ...more
Adam Light
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent debut from an author I will check out again. Really enjoyed this book.
j
Jul 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining prose reminiscent of Stephen King, i.e. internal monologue / protagonists conversations with himself / warning voice. Effective build-up of dread and fear. Unfortunately, the meat of the story to include the anxiety building comprised less than half the story. Fully 50% of the book is a description of the Michigan Northwoods Upper Peninsula. Page after redundant page concerning the trees, flora and fauna. Ad nauseum descriptions of the cabin, the grounds, fly rods and fishing techni ...more
The Grim Reader
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great, original and very interesting read from Michael Hodges. When Matt Kearns escapes to a cabin in the wilderness for a little r&r, he gets more than he bargained for. This is a slow burner of a book - and all the better for it. Don't be put off at the start as it can be a little over descriptive with the surroundings but I feel that this really gives you a sense of isolation and wonder of the environment. Over seven days Matt tries to leave the cabin, but he keeps getting pulled back b ...more
James
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Hodges’ debut novel, The Puller, is an action-packed creature feature with an environmental conscience.

After losing his father, girlfriend, and childhood dog, Matt Kearns heads to his family’s remote shack in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula for “nine days of peace and quiet” in the hopes of figuring out his life. Matt is a twenty-one-year-old Chicagoan who developed his love of the outdoors from his father and their trips to the Ottawa National Forest, a “million sprawling acres of undevelope
Jeanette
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good reading...

I enjoyed this book immensely....a nod to the environment and also endangered animals...great story flow (a little stephen kingish) and the main character was written in a way that I felt I was almost there! I also loved the correlation between death and acceptance...please keep writing Mr. Hodges & I will keep reading...
Lindsey
Aug 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great read. I enjoy a good horror story that keeps me guessing. I found myself really liking the main character. The only reason this book received four instead of five stars was due to the ending. I don't expect a detailed description as to why this creature came to the woods, but I felt the ending was too vague. I have a good guess, but nothing much to confirm my suspicions.
Janie
May 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Story that sucks you right in until the end!

While this is not my usual genre, a friend recommended this book to me and it sucked me right in!

This is a great story of the triumph of human spirit. The Author has written in such great detail that you can picture the scenes and feel this man's physical struggle and pain throughout the story. Once I got through Day 1, I could not stop reading until I got to the end.

Definitely recommend this book!
Alex Kane
Jul 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hodges takes great care in building a stark, isolated wilderness in which Mother Nature is his protagonist’s only ally and Matt Kearns’s fellow human beings tend toward varying degrees of hostility. With the rich characterization one finds in an Elizabeth Hand thriller and the masterful, slow-cooker plotting of classic King, ‘The Puller’ goes off like a bomb. You won’t want to put it down.
Lonnie Trout
Jan 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the monster

Living in Michigan this novel really made me smile. While I'm not a yooper the northwoods of the state are as magical as the author makes them sound. The monster was unusual and I sure hope this was the first book of a series.
Timothy J Bandy
Nov 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Did Not Expect This Level of Quality

As Stephen King can be scary and well written, so can Mr. Hodges. Amazingly tight plot for this genre. And, honestly, sort of inspiring.
Jeffrey Hatcher
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Michigan's Upper Peninsula, there exists a creature that is a little bit animal, a little bit alien, and a whole lot dangerous. The Puller is an effective horror story in the manner of Stephen King & Peter Benchley, and it shows the influence of both to good effect. Where Benchley's great white shark controls the local environment, traveling invisibly, so does the Puller. Within its environment, it has a seemingly unfair advantage in power and stealth over people and animals that come clo ...more
Wendy Rinebold
I was so excited to read this. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. The basic premise is that the main character, Matthew, gets away to a cabin in the woods he went to as a kid. He was hoping to be alone and think about his father whom he had recently lost. However, some unseen (literally, its invisible) creature is holding him hostage within a certain radius of the cabin.

I am a fast reader. It usually takes me a day or two but I was holding onto this for what felt like weeks.
Marlen
May 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-2019
Oh boy this was...what the f*** did I just read.
First hundred pages are basically an inventory of a forest and a hut.
Blue tape. Oh, a deer. Oh, a bird. Oh, a tree! A tree! In a forest! Who would have guessed!

The middle part is slightly better, reminds a bit of Stephen Kings Die Arena, but the end is... you know the old disney snow white film? Where she sings and all the creatures come to sing with her? This, but with more blood.

Janet
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This as an interesting story. One act of kindness can be the difference of life or death. What a journey this man lived through during his time to reflect and try to have some peace in his life. I am glad the story ended the way it did. This was a Goodreads giveaway winner.
Letitia
Jul 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
The Puller is a strange ride.
It took me a while to get into it, mostly due to the author way overdoing the descriptive writing.
Instead of setting the scene, it was really putting me off, kinda reminding me I was reading.
When things got rolling, I started to enjoy the book and found myself rooting for the main character, Matt.

I liked the underlying theme of caring for animals and the environment.
The scene where Matt sleeps beside a black bear was a highlight, and to, Matt's father freeing bear cu
Wes
Nov 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really weird book. Thought it was more of a monster book but it was not. Pretty slow for my taste and I think the author listed tree types no less than 1000 times throughout. I get the general premise and theme but it was way too loose of a concept and the end pulled it together as tightly as a piece of hair would be able to tie your shoes.
Brad
Jul 25, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: podcast-reviews
Follow the link to listen to my podcast review:

The Daily PawnCast reviews: "The Puller"

kozettekaysmith
Aug 18, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Very Disappointed

This was one of the worst books it was so boring I couldn't finish. Made no sense a real struggle I finally gave up. Do not waste your time or money.
kozetteksmith
Kaisu
Apr 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interessantes Buch und mit einer unterschwelligen Botschaft. Leider war mir der Anfang zu schwärmerisch und gezogen über die Mountains. Danach ging es aber dann ordentlich zur Sache.
A. Hunt

• Northwoods
  • Bestiary
  • Into the Mist
  • Sea Change
  • Gorgon (Alex Hunter, #5)
  • Forest Ghost: A Novel of Horror and Suicide in America and Poland
  • Kaiju Rising: Age of Monsters
  • Dust
  • The Night Everything Changed
  • Husk
Michael Hodges' debut novel The Puller was optioned for film, and his followup novels are The Invasive and Black Friday. He's also taught a writing panel with Game of Thrones editor Anne Groell, and he's represented by Lane Heymont of Tobias Literary.

Michael is also a member of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America and the Horror Writers Association. His work has also been translated