Start by marking “The Saltergate Psalter (Chesterfield, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Saltergate Psalter (Chesterfield, #2)

The Saltergate Psalter

(Chesterfield #2)

‘Chris Nickson works his usual magic, populating late medieval Chesterfield with characters that are clearly of their time and yet jump off the page, vibrant and familiar. The icing on the cake (or the jeweled cover on the exquisite psalter) – a fiendishly clever puzzle. Highly recommended!’ Candace Robb, author of the bestselling Owen Archer mysteries

1361: John the Carpen
Published November 2nd 2015 by The History Press

To ask other readers questions about The Saltergate Psalter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Saltergate Psalter

Cybercrone
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
Not as good as other things I have read of his.

Some of the historical touches seemed to be wrong too. As far as I can find out 'solars' were not in ordinary homes, just in manor houses and castles, and they weren't meant for sleeping in.
Also the phrase "from your mouth to God's ear" would never have been used by a Catholic, as it is a Jewish saying for one thing, and for another Catholics use intercessors for prayer and don't, in my experience, pray directly to God.

And then there was the fact th
Helen
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I mentioned in my review of 'The Crooked Spire' (the first in the series), I live in the area of Chesterfield in which these novels are set. I actually walk along Saltergate every day on my way to work so reading about its medieval counterpart is quite surreal. Due to its familiarity, I find these books really cosy and appealing. This is an enjoyable murder mystery with twists and turns and an unexpected ending. I never guessed the identity of the 'baddie'! I've just started 'The Holywell Dea ...more
Spuddie
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Second entry in the "John the Carpenter" historical series set in Chesterfield in the 1360's. One of my favorite time periods, as Britain continues to struggle through the devastation after the Black Death. This one seemed quite repetitive in places and I felt it could have been shortened somewhat and not been at all detrimental to the story, but otherwise well done as per Chris Nickson's usual.
Beverly
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: detective
New author (to me). Interesting historical detail. Mystery not that much of a challenge -- although very involved.
Soozee
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable, a good read, set in Chesterfield, Derbyshire. It continues the series, and I look forward to reading more of the series.
Loretta
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this. I felt as though I was throughly immersed in the period. I'll be trying other books by the author.
Carole Hawthorne
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like these books, they're easy to read and fascinating. Looking forward to reading the next one in the series.
Fruitbat
Nov 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this more than I expected to. Not my usual genre but found the characters really interesting, liked the period detail and the style of writing.
Kathleen
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: historical mytery fans
Riveting and sometimes even scary mystery set in Chesterfield in 1361, a time when mysteries and myths abound. The position of Coroner was established by King Richard before 1200 and had its origins even earlier perhaps in Saxon times. This period in Chesterfield illustrates a great deal of power in the office, as demonstrated by de Harville, which John the Carpenter had to work to overcome.

Some of his reluctance to not pursue an outcome had to do also with his own moral sense and curiosity abou
D.J.
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series is my favourite since the Constable Nottingham series and I think Chris Nickson's writing is especially poignant when he writes about this era. As always with a Chris Nickson novel - finishing the book and having to say 'bye for now' to the characters was a real wrench. I am very much looking forward to the next novel so I can find out what happens next.
Nancy McLaughlin
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating read

This book was an absorbing look into the past. The characters were well fleshed out and believable. I feel like I know John the Carpenter & his family & want to spend more time with them.
Lexie Conyngham
Mar 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Decent mediaeval murder mystery with a good setting in and around Chesterfield and Dronfield, the second in the series. Looking forward to reading more.
Bronwyn
Jul 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Had potential, but way too slow getting to the point. And by the time I found out whodunnit, I really didn't care. I hope this writer gets a good script editor as it could have been a good read...
anne pizzuto
May 17, 2016
Marti Hidden
Dec 27, 2015
judith ungvary
rated it did not like it
Feb 06, 2016
Feb 11, 2017
Paula Smith
Feb 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
I'm a novelist and music journalist, the author of many books set between the 1730s and 1950s in Leeds, as well as others in medieval Chesterfield and 1980s Seattle.

Above all, though, its Leeds I love, the people, the sense of the place changing with time. Yes, I write mysteries, but ultmiateoly they're books about people and their relationships, and the crime becomes a moral framework for the sto

Chesterfield (3 books)
  • The Crooked Spire (Chesterfield, #1)
  • The Holywell Dead (Chesterfield, #3)