Start by marking “Le conseguenze dell'odio (Inspector Lynley, #19)” as Want to Read:
Le conseguenze dell'odio (Inspector Lynley, #19)

Le conseguenze dell'odio

(Inspector Lynley #19)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  12,557 ratings  ·  1,651 reviews
Non c’è pace per l’ispettore di New Scotland Yard Thomas Lynley, che, reduce dalla difficile indagine condotta in Italia, si trova a scavare tra i segreti, i risentimenti e i rimorsi di una famiglia segnata da un lutto terribile: un suicidio che, ogni giorno di più, rivela risvolti agghiaccianti, costringendo Lynley ad affrontare i suoi stessi, dolorosissimi fantasmi, in q ...more
Hardcover, La Gaja scienza, 576 pages
Published November 5th 2015 by Longanesi (first published October 19th 2015)

To ask other readers questions about Le conseguenze dell'odio, please sign up.
Mary Bowman All these advance copies and freebies seem to dominate a site which seems to be for us regular readers who never get free or advance copies. Just…moreAll these advance copies and freebies seem to dominate a site which seems to be for us regular readers who never get free or advance copies. Just annoying, I find. I don't want to see reviews of books which are unavailable to us peasants for almost a full year. Bah humbug(less)

·  12,557 ratings  ·  1,651 reviews

Susan Johnson
Jun 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As I closed this lengthy (573 pages) new book in the Lynley/Havers series and I breathed a sigh of relief. Oh my goodness, I think Elizabeth George is back on track. This was actually a good installment in the series. After George killed off Lynley's wife and unborn child on their own doorstep, the series went amok. She followed that incident with a book that was truly, in my opinion, horrible "What Came Before Her" and then issued four very mediocre novels with Lynley and Havers behaving very ...more
Esil
Sep 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Elizabeth George is on my short list of must read mystery writers. Each book is huge, and the equivalent of comfort food. I read a bunch of them all in a row a few years ago at a time when I needed something diverting, consuming but not too serious. Since then, every few years a new one comes out and I sink right back into the world of Linley and Havers. There have been ups and downs in the series -- some misses and some high points. A Banquet of Consequences is no.19 in the series. I was lucky ...more
Liz Barnsley
I’ve long been a fan of the Lynley mysteries – Literary crime fiction at it’s best, with A Banquet of Consequences Ms George has hit top form once more.

I’ll be honest and say since the series game changing event that occured in “With No-one As Witness” I felt that the author lost her way a little – whilst the ensuing novels were still good it lost a little something for me – but in A Banquet of Consequences that little hiccup seems to have been shaken off and she is back to doing what she does b
Mar 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-challenge

In this 19th book in the series, Inspector Lynley and his team investigate the death of a feminist author. The book can be read as a standalone, but knowing the characters makes it more entertaining.

*****

Dawn Marie
Mar 11, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you want to continue your relationship with Barbara Havers, do yourself a favor and skip to page 567, read it and walk away quickly (take your Converse and run!), then wait another two years. Lynley has apparently been abducted and replaced by a paper doll cutout that resembles very little of the man we came to know. It says it's Lynley, it drives a car like Lynley but it ain't Lynley! Actually all the men (the few there are) in this man hating diatribe seem to have been created from the same ...more
Roger Brunyate
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An Assured Novelist of Precarious Situations

I recently took a look at the latest Maisie Dobbs mystery by Jacqueline Winspear, whose novels I quite enjoyed at the beginning until I realized that they had settled into a tiresome rut. I felt rather the same about Elizabeth George's British mysteries, though I read a good many more of them before giving up. But here's the difference: I returned to Winspear only to discover that she had become still more annoying; I return to George to find an author
Diane Dickson
I used to absolutely love these books and although I was a little disappointed in the last one I pre-ordered this one. Sadly I think that, for me, they have had their day.

Tommy Lynley seems like a bit part player in this rather slow and tedious tale and though I have not been gripped as I have in the past and at times tried to think of other things to do rather than read which is very unusual for me.

In fairness the plot is clever with a couple of misdirections and one or two of the characters
Lisa Frankel
Terrible, boring, and gross. I can't even believe I finished it. Why does everyone seem to like this book?
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
Swedish review

Oanade konsekvenser är den första Thomas Lynley och Barbara Havers boken jag har läst på flera år, men det känns inte alls som om jag har missat något trots att jag åtminstone inte har läst de senaste 10 böckerna om inte fler. Jag måste erkänna att jag var lite tveksam till boken innan jag började. Men så är den över 600 sidor lång och av erfarenhet vet jag att för att lyckats få läsarna att inte tröttna måste berättelsen hela vägen ha ett flyt och tursamt nog hade boken det. Doc
Janet
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
almost 600 pages of the world's worst mother/world's worst mother-in-law, Lynley Brooding Over Helen And Realizing He Is Running Out of Time to Produce an Heir, and The Great Barbara Havers Makeover. I only finished it to find out if Barbara managed to avoid being turned into a fashion plate and acquire manners. I wanted to wash my eyeballs with bleach after reading the icky parts.

Robert Dunbar
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
God, she's good at what she does. It's been ages since a book actually kept me up all night. Of course, I'm having a little trouble getting my eyes to focus this morning...

Trish
George’s massive, character-rich mysteries are unique in the annals of British mystery writing. George’s conclusion to the nineteenth in this series leaves us as anxious to hear the future for her characters as we ever were in the beginning. She throws in everything her characters encounter in a day, making the book dauntingly long, but as I pointed out in an earlier review, look how much story one gets for the investment of a few quid.

Inspector Lynley may indeed be the spine of these novels, bu
Moshe Mikanovsky
Elizabeth George is such an amazing writer. It's been awhile since I've read one of her inspector Lyndly cases, and this one was so good! George has a special ability to develop characters and plot and to create such vivid personalities that I was able to feel sorry for or to want to strangle with my bare hands one of the characters ( i won't tell you who...)
It would have been a 5 stars if not for the long time it took to get to the murder. Almost a quarter into the book. While eventually you ge
Barbara
Elizabeth George likes to write very long books. This 21 hour audiobook, though, was too long. While the ending wasn't predictable, some thing were. Havers in hot water with her boss, Tommy Lynley being attractive and trying to ignore that he's a lord. You will continue to read though to see who continues to be single or not, if Havers gets a makeover or not, and how they catch the killer.
Ellinor
Clare Abbott, a well known feminist writer, is poisoned. A few days later her editor almost dies as well. But were the two really meant to be the victims or was someone else actually the killer's target?

With this 19th installment in the Inspector Lynley series the old Elizabeth George is finally back! And it was high time for that. After the really bad Just One Evil Act I was about to give this series up. I'm glad I didn't because this book was so good. My expectations weren't very high but once
switterbug (Betsey)
This is my first Elizabeth George book, and I am eager to read any more of them that combine traditional novel with a detective story. In A Banquet of Consequences, the first third or so of the book is pure novel. Had I not known George’s reputation, I never would have anticipated a police procedure with returning characters. The author did a superb job of combining the two different genres—in fact, this felt like a story that eclipsed genre altogether.

For those of you already familiar with the
Beth
Nov 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Well, the good news is that after a slog through the adventures and misadventures (ranging from sad and pathetic to horrifying) of the various members and acquaintances of the most dysfunctional family I've ever encountered in my reading, I did finally come to the part of the book I quite liked. The bad news is it took about 500 pages to get there. The book's fly leaf asks the question whether or not there's a connection between a suicide and an author's death and another attempted murder years ...more
Richard Brand
Nov 19, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The only good thing I can say about this story is that Ms. George did create a character that all of us wished were dead. For the rest of the story in my mind was made up of incredibly deficit people. Characters who could not make a decision and move on. There was a certain clique about relationships. Two of the major "families" all had partners outside of marriage. And they could not settle. There was a certain familiar repeating of a love relationship murdered. Those were not the murder that w ...more
Lobstergirl
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: chupacabras

Readers may be surprised that, in installment #19 of the series, Lynley and Havers are still in their 30s. Why, we began with "The Great Deliverance" in 1988, and if you figure Lynley couldn't have been younger than 25 then, in 2015 he would be 52. Havers couldn't be any younger than 50, unless they allow teens to work as detectives.

As usual with George, though there are sexual perversions aplenty, it's the "lovemaking" between ordinary adulterous middle-agers that is most disgusting. There is "
Thomas Strömquist
Being able to enjoy such a quite vast story that is a 'Lynley' series entry in quite few sittings and period of time is a great and rare treat. Elizabeth George writes with such care and such detail, that you get to know her characters amazingly well - the reappearing ones even more so of course. The story in this one is one of family hardships and tragedy - ending in suicide and a few years later, some cases of poisoning. What these have in common and who's to blame is very much down to Barbara ...more
Mary Lins
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: complete
Fair warning, I'm a huge fan of Elizabeth George's Inspector Lynley novels, and I'm particularly fond of Detective Sargent Barbara Havers. ( I've avoided watching any of the British TV series because I don't want my imagining of the characters altered by actors as they are real to me in my mind as Ms. George has painted them. For example, a character describes Barb as "a barrel on legs with porcupine hair", and I doubt they cast an actress who can meet that description!)

"A Banquet of Consequence
MARILYN
One of the best in series featuring Barbara Havers. Barbara is trying to redeem herself from her disastrous outing in Italy. She's looking into the death of a feminist writer and attempt on her literary agent. This was classic EG with interesting characters and red herrings galore. My only problem is Thomas Lynley's' love life. She is so lifeless and boring compared to Helen how could he possibly be interested in her. I don't buy that aspect of the story and wish she would. Drop it so she can ge ...more
Tammy
Sep 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems that George is back to writing the complicated and engrossing Lynley series that is as good as it should be. A Banquet of Consequences is filled with flawed, very human characters and has the detail that makes George a first rate writer. While A Banquet of Consquences is not among her best it is certainly head and shoulders above, say, What Came Before He Shot Her. Ultimately satisfying.
Julie
Jan 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Banquet of Consequences by Elizabeth George is a 2015 Viking publication.

This is yet another long running series, this being the nineteenth Inspector Lynley mystery, that I have been neglecting for a good long while. Although I have a few older titles in the series sitting on my shelf that have yet to be read, I couldn’t help but picking up this latest installment from my Overdrive library account.

I have kept up with the series well enough to know that a huge change took place a little whil
Tanja Berg
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: murder-mystery
This is vintage Elizabeth George! A detailed character study of familiar evil. It takes about 160 pages before the first person, the writer Clare Abbott, gest murdered. Of course, it does not first look like a murder at all. It is when her friend and editor Rory contacts police inspector Barbara Havers - who's had a brief encounter with Clare - that a second autopsy reveals death by poison.

Before we get to this death we've had plenty of time to get to know Clare's personal assistant Caroline. Sh
Donna
May 03, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
Technically, I didn't actually read this. I started it but less than 5 minutes in, I just couldn't do it. I have never given up on a book so fast before. This one holds the record for that. So I read another book instead, and when I finished that one, I started this one again. Wrong thing to do. I didn't like this. I think I just wasn't in the mood, at least that's my story and I am sticking to it.
Lori
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-fiction
One of Elizabeth George's best. This is saying a lot as all books in her Thomas Lynley series are excellent. This one has it all: A compelling and moving mystery with lots of emotional pull because of the subject matter and great character development of her main cast: Tommy, Barbara and Winston. Barbara and Winston rooming together in Dorset offers many entertaining moments with Winston's healthy and straight and narrow ways running up against Barbara's less healthy and more avant garde approac ...more
Barbara

Will Goldacre is a troubled young man who's afflicted with a deformed ear and a condition that seems to resemble Tourette's Syndrome - he sometimes vocalizes curse words and inappropriate phrases. After a break-up and attempted reconciliation with his girlfriend Lily, Will commits suicide by jumping off a cliff. This devastates Will's family, especially his mother Caroline Goldacre.

Caroline copes with her grief (in part) by working as an assistant to well-known feminist author Clare Ab
Deborah
Sep 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I reviewed Elizabeth George’s last novel, Just One Evil Act I commented that it was a big improvement on the recent books in her Inspector Thomas Lynley and Sergeant Barbara Havers series.

I’d been a fan for ages but things went downhill markedly after the death of one of the main characters. Since then our two leads seemed like shadows of their former selves and I was almost tempted to give up on them completely. Almost.

Just One Evil Act, released in 2013 saw a return to the form I remember
Jan
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary, crime
Reading Elizabeth George is the same kind of pleasure that you get from reading the measured, yet eloquent sentences, of P D James. Unlike many of my formerly favourite crime writers, Elizabeth George has not jettisoned complex sentences, or interesting vocabulary. She has not sacrificed observation and detail in order to create the skeletal remains of a novel that relies only on a simple plot that can be squeezed in in short chapters. Reading her is a pleasure in itself even without our favouri ...more
Play Book Tag: A Banquet of Consequences; 2.5 Stars 5 18 Jul 04, 2018 09:16PM
Play Book Tag: A Banquet of Consequences - Elizabeth George - 4 stars 3 14 May 04, 2018 04:36AM
Author Error 1 52 Jan 06, 2016 05:11PM
Kindle English My...: A Banquet of Consequences by Elizabeth George 4 52 Oct 24, 2015 09:01AM

• The Sound of Broken Glass (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #15)
  • Good Bait
  • Vertigo 42 (Richard Jury, #23)
  • Execution Dock (William Monk, #16)
  • The Princeling of Nanjing (Ava Lee, #8)
  • Splinter the Silence (Tony Hill & Carol Jordan, #9)
  • Death's Jest-Book (Dalziel & Pascoe, #20)
  • The Malcontenta (Brock & Kolla, #2)
  • The Soul of Discretion (Simon Serrailler, #8)

Susan Elizabeth George is an American author of mystery novels set in Great Britain. Eleven of her novels, featuring her character Inspector Lynley, have been adapted for television by the BBC as The Inspector Lynley Mysteries.

She was born in Warren, Ohio, but moved to the S

Inspector Lynley (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • A Great Deliverance (Inspector Lynley, #1)
  • Payment in Blood (Inspector Lynley, #2)
  • Well-Schooled in Murder (Inspector Lynley, #3)
  • A Suitable Vengeance (Inspector Lynley, #4)
  • For the Sake of Elena (Inspector Lynley, #5)
  • Missing Joseph (Inspector Lynley, #6)
  • Playing for the Ashes (Inspector Lynley, #7)
  • In the Presence of the Enemy (Inspector Lynley, #8)
  • Deception on His Mind (Inspector Lynley, #9)
  • In Pursuit of the Proper Sinner (Inspector Lynley, #10)
“He wants your sympathy, and sometimes, India, people mistake sympathy for love.” 0 likes
“At that point she came to understand that, difficult as it was to face, there were times when the only life you could save was your own.” 0 likes