Jump to ratings and reviews

The Protector

People think they have Camille Logan nailed: daddy's girl; beautiful, spoiled young woman with her father's bank balance to fund her lifestyle. But Camille is determined to have a life free from his strings. Out on her own, she's made mistakes, including one that found her clawing her way back after a stint in rehab and plenty of bad press. Now, after fighting so hard to be independent and happy, she finds her life threatened as a result of her father's ruthless business dealings. Caught between resentment and fear, Camille prepares herself for the measures her father will take to protect her. But nothing could prepare her for the ex-SAS sniper who crashes into her life.

Jake Sharp resides in his own personal hell. He was distracted from duty once before, and the consequences were devastating--both personally and professionally. He vowed never to let that happen again. Accepting the job of bodyguard to Camille Logan isn't the kind of distraction from his demons he should take. Women and Jake don't mix well, yet protecting the heiress seems the lesser of two evils. But Jake soon discovers that she isn't the woman she's perceived to be. She's warm, compassionate, her presence settling, and his duty to protect her soon goes deeper than a well-paid job, no matter how hard he fights it. He needs absolution. He comes to need Camille. But he knows he can't have both.

384 pages, Kindle Edition

First published September 6, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jodi Ellen Malpas

47 books18.7k followers
“I write for myself. Not what I think people want to read.” ~ JEM

#1 New York Times & Sunday Times Bestselling Author Jodi Ellen Malpas was born and raised in England, where she lives with her husband, her boys, and Theo the Doberman.

Writing powerful love stories with fierce, memorable characters is her passion – a passion that has taken her on an amazing journey into the world of romantic fiction. Her work is now published in more than twenty-five languages across the world.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
1,403 (7%)
1 star
563 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,002 reviews
Profile Image for Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog.
1,260 reviews9,899 followers
September 9, 2016
*****FOUR STARS*****
{ARC Generously Provided by Author}

All my subjects were a job. A duty. A way to maintain my selfish purpose. I needed to forget everything about my previous life. My subjects gave me focus.
Camille Logan spun that on its head. She gave me a reason to confront my demons. She made me feel and love again.

photo 3744bdb7bea28dabc92a3bf64f2ea850_zpsb3glisra.jpg

The Protector is a brand new standalone by the incomparable Jodi Ellen Malpas. I seriously worship this lady because she created “The Lord of the Manor”!! In the past, I would take off from work on the release day of any of her previous books. Her writing just calls to me. I have to be honest, while I liked this one, I didn’t fall madly in love with it like all of Jodi’s previous books. However, my two co-bloggers adored it. I’m not sure if maybe my short vacation and feelings of jetlag might have contributed to my level of enjoyment of the book or not. I will make a point to re-read this book another time to see if my judgement changes. With that being said, I still found the book to be enjoyable and you will be given some decadent steam that only JEM can deliver!!

Jake Sharp is an ex-SAS and currently works for a security company where he provides his services as a bodyguard. Jake suffers from PTSD which stems from his time with the SAS and he’s haunted by a tragedy that occurred in his personal life. Jake throws himself into his job and his meaningless one night stands to avoid dealing with his troubles. His next assignment will bring into his life the woman who is about to change things in a big way for him.

Camille Logan is a socialite and high fashion model. She happens to be a really sweet person and nothing like the woman that most would stereotype her to be. Her father hires Jake to be her bodyguard after he receives a threat against her life. At first, neither are thrilled with the assignment. Jake presumes that Camille will be an uptight and pretentious snob, and Camille is not thrilled about having her life invaded by a stranger. But when they meet, they feel a strong attraction for one another which helps to change their opinions on the matter.

Throughout the story there’s a mystery as to who is the threat to Camille and everyone, including her own family, appear to be suspects. Jake and Camille ultimately give in to their physical desires and it seems that love blossoms rather quickly between the two. But there are obstacles that stand in the path to their HEA. Jake is tight-lipped about his past and it only ends up making Camille feel alienated. Also, there’s the matter of Camille’s life being in danger 24/7.

Will Jake track down the guilty culprits who are determined to harm Camille, and will he trust Camille enough to let her all the way into his life which includes the past, present, and future???

THE PROTECTOR is currently available. Be sure to one-click!!

US LINKS:

Foyles: http://bit.ly/1MWnAUA
Apple: http://bit.ly/1Vb3EE6
Kobo: http://bit.ly/1X08Rhd

photo 17631979_zpsogt4rrvf.png
Profile Image for Christy.
3,711 reviews31.6k followers
August 28, 2016
3.5 stars!

photo 3A4EE011-1B1E-4ECD-962F-E5915673786A_zpsh3v8pewe.jpg

The Protector is a new stand-alone novel from Jodi Ellen Malpas. I love her writing and I was so excited to read this one. If you love a fast-paced, suspenseful romance with a true alpha male and a strong heroine, this is the book for you.

Camille Logan may come from a rich family, but she’s an independent woman who does what she wants and is determined to make it on her own. Her father is a very rich and very powerful man and has a lot of enemies. When he gets a threat on Cami, he will do anything and everything to protect her. That means hiring the best of the best. Jake Sharp is a bodyguard and he is just that. The best. When he first gets assigned to Cami, he doesn’t know what to think. She does, though. She is not happy about this arrangement and does everything she can to evade Jake. This does not make Jake happy.

I love the back and forth between this couple when they hadn’t quite clicked yet. Their personalities do not mesh well at first, both are much too headstrong, but you can feel that spark between them growing as time goes on. Jake didn’t expect to feel this spark. In fact, it’s dangerous and forbidden that he does. The number one rule in protecting someone is not to get too involved. The more he’s around Cami though, the harder it gets for him to not be involved. The feelings he’s developing for her are real.
I’ve never felt so absorbed by a woman that she makes me want to sacrifice my soul in her honor. I’ve never felt this. Never.

There wasn’t only the romance aspect of this story, there was a strong element of mystery and suspense. I spent much of the book trying to figure out what was going on with Cami’s father and who was threatening her. There are a lot of secrets Jake has as well. Trying to figure everything out wasn’t easy- I liked that this was an unpredictable storyline.

There was nothing wrong with The Protector, I liked the book, it just didn’t hit any of my love buttons. I’m not sure if it’s because I wasn’t in the mood for suspense when I read it, or the fact that there were some parts at the end that didn’t work for me (I felt the ending was very rushed as well) but either way it was solid 3.5 read for me. Not great, not bad, just an average read for me.

If you are in the mood for a romantic suspense novel with lots of steam, a broody male lead and a feisty heroine- The Protector may be right up your alley!
“You’re my home now,” I tell him. “Wherever you are, that’s my home.”

photo E4248C4A-287C-4E7D-911E-E935B1C41640_zpsl81oal1o.jpg
Profile Image for Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦.
662 reviews2,396 followers
November 13, 2016

➦Hokay, so. I actually liked this one a lot. I listened to the audio and the narration is excellent, as long as you speed up the audio CUZ. The chick narrating this one has a very soothing voice and reads her part very... very... slowly... and...
description

➦The heroine is a hot model and a daughter of one huge powerful & rich a-hole who tries to control all aspects of her life. When her douchebag of a father gets a letter threatening her life, he hires her a personal bodyguard. And not just any bodyguard.

➦Jake is an ex-special forces, this badass sniper, who works because he needs to keep busy, not because he needs the money. He has a sad, because something happened while he was in service and now he lives his life trying to not feel and just exist.
description

➦So he takes a job thinking this blond model is a spoiled entitled brat but as he spends more time with her he starts seeing her in a different light. And she starts feeling safe with him by her side.

➦So who wants to hurt her? Will Jake kick their asses?

➦I really loved how the relationship evolved from dislike and distrust to love. There is a suspense element to the story and that kept me interested. I've read reviews where people felt like the ending was a bit abrupt but I had no problem with it. I felt pretty satisfied with the way everything was wrapped up. Wondering how it all ends? I can't tell ya, but I will give you a hint :)
description

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram
Profile Image for Sabrina.
3,088 reviews1,891 followers
November 4, 2020
NOW LIVE!
Amazon US * Amazon UK

4.5 Stars

The Protector was the epitome of romance for me. These characters had me on the edge of my seat waiting for them to get their moment. You know the one, the moment that everything comes together for two people and allows them to be truly happy. And for Jake and Camille, their moment was brilliant. I felt a connection to them from very early in the book so seeing them finally get to be happy was the best part of my day.

Jake Sharp may physically be in the present but in his mind, he's in the past. He hasn't been able to move forward from the things he's done and the people he's hurt. To keep himself somewhat sane he makes sure to always be working on a job as a bodyguard. His newest assignment? Camille Logan, model, typical rich girl, sure to be snob, and target of one of her father's enemies.

When he meets his assignment though, Jake gets the shock of his life. Camille may be a rich girl, but she is far from typical. She's far from the stuck-up girl he's expecting her to be, and the surprise makes him notice her as more than an assignment. But now he has another threat to protect her from. Him.

Camille actually surprised me just as much as she did Jake because I was very nervous about her character. The blurb mentions her stint in rehab for cocaine use and that she was a rich girl, so honestly I had the same thoughts that Jake did. That she was going to be some stuck up girl used to getting whatever she wants, and I was also nervous that her drug habit would come back up. But her character was actually very well written and I appreciated the fact that her past drug use wasn't brought into the focus too much.

I really liked Camille's character and how responsible she was. There was never a moment where she gave up and let her wealth carry her through life. Instead she worked hard for what she wanted to accomplish and I admired her for that. Especially with her father always wanting to take care of her money needs.

The majority of the story focused on Jake more than Camille, and it was definitely needed. Out of the two he was the more complex character that we had to really dig deep to figure out. I loved that everything about him was below the surface and I wasn't able to guess it easily. In order to truly understand him I had to actually get to know his character and the personality he had. And when I finally got all of him, I loved him even more.

Not only did this book have the romance that I was looking for, it also had suspense that kept me enthralled. Trying to find out who was after Camille and why was the big mystery and it was done very well. It didn't take over the story, yet it also wasn't shoved in the background until the very end. Throughout the whole book I was questioning everything and everyone trying to figure out what was actually going on. I loved that I wasn't able to figure it out and was kept in the dark the whole time, making me even crazier to find out.

This book made me sigh, it made me swoon, and it made me fall head over heels in love with these two fictional characters. I definitely recommend this book for anyone that likes a hot romance with a side of suspense.

ARC kindly provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Ⓐlleskelle - That ranting lady ッ.
982 reviews765 followers
⭐️1 STAR⭐️DNF at 80%

A new Jodi Ellen Malpas’ book is always pretty exciting news for me. I’ve read the blurb of The Protector and was absolutely sold about it and couldn’t wait to get my hands on it.
I remember my love / hate relationship about Jesse, the Lord of the Manor from This Man . Infuriating OTT alpha but oddly charming in his caveman ways.

The Protector promised all kind of go to elements for me : The tortured hero, the forbidden love element, the feisty, spoiled, rich and misunderstood heroine… I was truly eager to meet Jake and Camille. Alright, especially Jake, I mean, JEM does write good alphas, right?

But I’ll be straight and honest about my experience reading The Protector. I had difficulties connecting with the characters fairly early in the book and began to tick at some description’s choices from the author. And if you know me a little as a reader, if I start to nitpick about things like this, it means nothing better holds my attention.
"Her pert breasts are tipped with solid nipples."
"Then I feel her hardened nipples pressing into my chest through my suit."

I’m all for physical reactions demonstrating arousal in erotica and romance books, and yes sometimes they’re exaggerated to the point of ridiculousness, but in this case, I just couldn’t get over the fact that the heroine must have hard steel nipples. No, titanium nipples. No… Bionic nipples.
But okay, moving on…
Well, I was trying to get over it, really, but a little later…
"Oh God, his cock is solid and pushing into my thigh and my nipples are buzzing, probably injecting his chest with electric shocks."

Super Jaimie? Is that you?

Yes I’m nitpicking, but I did read past that, trying to focus on the character that interested me… Jake.
But I’m sad to report that there wasn’t much to him but a facade.
He’s presented as this tough and professional guy. Former SAS sniper reconverted as a bodyguard, he’s supposed to be the best of the best in his profession but kept acting like he had no clue what he was doing.

His actions didn’t match his reputation at all, all talk no substance kind of hero. For instance this little scene where he loses his shit against the heroine’s step-brother… He didn’t know who he was but supposedly previously ran a background check on the heroine’s entourage… Huh. Awkward, but the author needed a little tension there, or just needed to show us Jake was tough and good at "protecting" his client…

Several inconsistencies regarding the threats against the heroine, Jake’s inability to focus on his job because his dick was getting the upper hand… It just became ridiculous to me and I couldn’t care less about the main plot or the romance.

I didn’t mind the insta-love aspect. It was to be expected, but their relationship just felt forced.
I truly didn’t care about whatever was happening between them, I didn’t care about the so called threats against the heroine, I couldn’t give any credit to Jake as a respectable bodyguard…

The whole book was quite boring for me, I’m afraid to say.
It does sound harsh saying this but that was my experience reading The Protector.
I have no doubts I’ll be in the minority with my feelings and encourage you to read the book and see for yourself if Jake is as good as Jesse.
In the mean time I’ll be revisiting The Lord of the Manor soon…

Arc received in exchange for review.
More reviews and book talk at :

You can find me here too ☞
Profile Image for Dana Ilie.
403 reviews345 followers
May 29, 2018
J E Malpas never let me down. I love her books, and this especialy because one special little fire cracker find happines. I love when kids are happy!!!! Can't wait to see the movie....
Profile Image for • Lisa •.
555 reviews1,526 followers
August 29, 2016
THREE BE MY WORLD STARS.

"My world has spun off its axis and is barrelling into the unknown."

description

Readers, look what we have here. A latest release from our much loved Jodi Ellen Malpas. You can always expect that this author will bring into the fold her trademark heat and of course a hero that will keep you glued to your kindle. When I got the opportunity to read and review this gem you can imagine that I was one happy romance reader. Sit back, buckle up and prepare yourself for a bodyguard themed romance that I'm hoping will knock your socks off.

What did I love?
I appreciated that JEM knocked out a standalone. There are times that I'm
Immensely in the mood for a series of trilogy but when I see a respected author release a complete standalone it makes me one happy reader. I also adored the dual point of view. What's better than having an understanding your characters? Getting a look in from both sides of the character coin. I can always appreciate this authors ability to make her heroes extra alpha style and her heroines the perfect damsel in distress. Her erotic scenes are always displaying the heat and her plotting has that over the top quality that makes reading her books so much fun. Overall I enjoyed my time spent with these characters I just needed a little something to keep me convinced throughout the storytelling. However, I'll always be drawn to this author as she provides something to the romance world that only JEM can.

Why not five?
I was totally revved up for this book. A standalone by an author that created one of my favourites heroes of all time. (Yes please with a cherry ontop) and to begin with I was all in and more than convinced. The hero was moody broody and built and the heroine was sassy, smart and clued in. But as the story progressed my interest slipped a little and instead of witty one liners and interesting dialogue I found myself a little underwhelmed. A little lacking for my tastes in the way of character connection and dare I say it, too much rumpy pumpy. This was all over a likeable book by a much loved author that I enjoyed, it just didn't have that originality that I crave. but with all that being said it still had enough to make me fall into like.

Final thoughts ...
If you like your romance style on the side of erotic, your heroes alpha-tastic and your heroines a little helpless then this author will hit your buttons. JEM will already have her dedicated fans queueing around the corner for this latest release and I'm sure plenty of readers will soon be falling in love with this authors latest hero. As for myself I'm glad that I was able to engage myself in this authors work and like always I'll be happy to read more in the future. Enjoy ... Kisses.

description
Profile Image for Sophia Triad.
2,239 reviews3,427 followers
May 30, 2018
NEWS:
The Protector Movie and This Man Series are coming soon from PassionFlix!

My review for The Protector:
Jake Sharp IS NOT Jesse Ward or Miller Hart. Thank f@ck for that!

Both Jesse and Miller are perfect Alpha males and each one of them has his own awesomeness. I adore them both. I have reread their books I don’t know how many times and they hold a special place in my heart. But this time I wanted something different by JEM. I wanted an equally strong character with his own voice and actions and not a “copy and paste” of Jesse. I am so glad the write has produced a male character with a distinct identity and not really comparable to the characters that become famous by her previous books.

Let’s talk about the book specifically and let’s start by having a look at the book cover. Brilliant! It is not a half naked man on the cover with a six pack like most of the romance books these days, or a recycled photograph you have seen in several books before. The photo is the product of an actual photo shooting which was advertised and become available to the fans a few months ago. I truly believe that it has been a major selling point of the book (besides the writer’s name). The cover increased readers’ expectations and it delivered the promise that the book will be good (Ok, I also have to admit that Sotiris Palladas as the male model is super deliciously yummy and cute).

Now let’s talk about the actual story of the book. There is this beautiful model, Camille, daddy’s little girl (although she is really a 25 years old grown woman) who is in danger according to her famous filthy rich daddy. Jake is the bodyguard who comes into the picture in order to be her shadow and protect her from a possible danger.
The events take place in a few days time. There is this fast lust, fast love factor, which all the romance junkies seem to seek in the novels they read.

So, a lot of things are happening in a few days: There are
-passion moments (the picnic in their enchanted place) ,
-embarrassing funny situations (the perfume photo shooting when Camille has to be almost naked and take erotic poses with her also almost naked male partner, while Jake is growling in the corner),
-pathetic attempts to professionalism (Jake is trying to hold back even after they make love for first time),
-full of myself beliefs which made me roll my eyes (Jake was thinking things like “her eyes are staring dreamily at me”, “all women smile hopefully when they see me pelting towards them”, “I am aware of the looks being pointed in my direction” etc.)
-mystery conditions (who is sending the threatening letters, what is the deal with Camille’s old boyfriend, what is exactly the troubled Jake’s past) and
-chase and run action scenes (Jake running desperately up and down the streets. Where did she go? Where? Where? I am gonna kill them all with the most painful death!).

I believe JEM’s writing style is excellent. The story is engaging. The writer succeeded in producing two strong leading characters, one character is the exact opposite of the other. Jake is dark and tortured while Camille is the light to his darkness. But be warned! This is not a dark romance and it shouldn’t be treated as such.
Concluding my thoughts, I have just discovered a new favorite book and a new favorite Alpha male!
;)
September 7, 2016
LIVE-->
USA 6th Sept http://goo.gl/IQJUPY
UK 8th Sept http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01B69SK1O

Jodi Ellen Malpas once again offers her quintessentially British penmanship in her latest sexy STANDALONE about a rich girl and a super sexy bodyguard. I had cover lust and couldn’t wait to dive into this protector tale, a trope that has the power to provide the most swoon worthy of stories. Did I swoon? I certainly did, I was pulled easily into the light suspense of the narrative where twenty-five-year-old Camille was nearly ruined by her ex drug dependant boyfriend and Jake, ten years her senior, has endured his own turbulent past, a past that shapes the way he lives and works. As the story unfolds we discover the reasons why Jake has been hired to protect Camille, experience the push and pull of their relationship, feel the intrigue and romance of the narrative and learn the true extent of the protagonist's histories.

I absolutely adored Jake in the first third of this story, he immediately captured my attention with his powerful, charismatic persona. He made my heart beat fast and gave me butterflies in my tummy with all his protector ways but somehow, as the story progressed, Jake’s perspective made me fall out of love with him and my swoony story bubble burst just a little.

His development if I'm 100% honest did not feel organic. He began to sound different to how his character was originally portrayed and behaved in ways that I didn’t believe he would, both professionally and as her lover. An aspect of his motivational history didn’t work for my personal tastes and I felt at times that the emotion of the story repeated causing the prose to lose momentum. There was a little of the…’it’s never been this good before…’ vibe which is maybe a little overstated and highlighted the predictability of the story which in itself is not a bad thing, I do enjoy a certain degree of predictable happenings in my romance reading.

I appreciated the climax of the story, the unfolding of the suspenseful aspect and of course the gorgeous sexy times that is pretty much guaranteed reading from this author. There are reviewers raving highly about THE PROTECTOR and the formidable presence of her male character Jake Sharp and there's no doubt that many fans will be swooning all over this standalone during their romantic escapism.

★ Advance copy provided, via NetGalley, for an honest review ★
Profile Image for Pavlina Read more sleep less blog  .
2,434 reviews4,555 followers
4.5 Stars

"My need to protect this woman isn't duty.It's instinct."

I have to admit I was afraid to start Protector due to the mixed reviews but once I started it I couldn't put it down and I was surprised at how much I loved it!

"I'm going nowhere.She is my fate.It isn't something I'm prepared to fight."

Camille is the daughter of one of the wealtiest men and he has many enemies plus Camille has a wild past. To keep her safe he hires Jake who will be her new bodyguard to keep her safe. But what happens when business mixes with pleasure?

description

Jake intrigued me from the beginning! He was a complex, mysterious, dark and sexy character. I couldn't stop myself from wanting to know more and more about him. I wanted to understand him.

"I'm lost in a world of raw abandon with my strong protector,praying that I never find my way out."

Camille isn't the girl who you expect her to be! She is strong, lovely and so much more. I loved their romance it was slow burn, with some angst, intense moments and passionate.Their attraction for each other is obvious from the beginning. I loved their chemistry and it was fantastic seeing them trying to fight their feelings!

Jodi Ellen Malpas delivers a captivating story with suspense, mystery and sexual tension.

Profile Image for Maria Clara.
963 reviews476 followers
July 25, 2017
2.5
Y estas dos estrellitas y media son lo por que pudo ser y no fue. No voy a negar que la historia tiene un pase, que se puede leer y hasta enamorar, pero no estoy a favor de las relaciones tóxicas ni dominantes ni nada que se le parezca.
Profile Image for Dee Montoya.
942 reviews571 followers
August 25, 2016
4.5 ALPHA STARS****

(ARC provided by author via Netgalley)
(BR with Mel)

Leave to Jodi Ellen Malpas to create yet another panty-melting, Alpha hero that will infiltrate your heart and dreams without asking for permission. An exquisite story about a broken man who found peace in the arms of an angel...

photo 13B751F5-E75D-4537-89FD-60B92DC1E423_zps7zrtzx1w.jpg

Jake Sharp is an ex-military man, who came back from war carrying a lot of guilt and heavy secrets. Heavy darkness that haunts him day and night, but he tries to tune it out through work, sex, and alcohol.

When he learns that his next assignment is to protect a young socialite, he imediately declines it. He takes his job as an strategic security specialist very seriously, and he doesn't feel like babysitting a daddy's girl, even if she is gorgeous. But his demons are about to suffocate him, and he desperately needs a distraction from all the pain that's eating at him, so he ends up taking the job.

Camille Logan is more than what people usually think of her, when they meet her. Yes she's a beautiful super-model, yes, she's rich, and yes, her father is a very powerful man, but she has a talent for fashion and is after a career, and stablishing a name for herself, without her father's help or influence. She doesn't just want to marry a rich guy and become a trophy wife; she wants to own her own business, and thrive on her own.

Camille's father has hired Jake to protect her from the death threats he has been getting against Camille. She can recognize that her new bodyguard is dangerously sexy, but also he is extremely alpha and infuriating. A battle between Cami and Jake will unravel as he tries to protect her from harm, but the more they fight, the more the lust ignates between them, until one night the carnal desire for each other will win over anything else...

photo D4F1C321-2947-436B-BC33-76A2B2138FAC_zps6qzenm1g.jpg

Can Cami fall for her dark and secretive protector?

Jake's mission is to protect Cami, but can he save her from his own darkness?

This is one sexy tale of a forbidden love born when least expect it. In the end both Cami and Jake will save each other but it won't be an easy road. Unpredictable and highly enjoyable, The Protector will fill your dreams for endless nights.

photo 17631979_zpsogt4rrvf.png
Profile Image for Shannon Moore.
370 reviews145 followers
October 27, 2016
Actual rating: 2.5 Stars.

To discuss what should've been my first clue that The Protector wasn't for me, we need to go back to the beginning. There was nothing that grabbed my attention to either 1. Pull me into the story or 2. Make me give a damn about any of the characters. I didn't give a rats ass at all. I had some friends I trust going on and on about this when they got an ARC in the summer so I thought I'd give it a try. Not every book is for every person, and I get that, but man this one wasn't for me. Give me something strong and memorable in the beginning to pull me in and I'll be a sucker for that book until the end, but if you start slow, I lose hope that it'll get better.

This story isn't exactly what I expected while basing opinions solely off of the synopsis and the cover. Judging a book by its cover, could I get anymore cliche? Maybe not today but don't worry, I'll work on it. Even just thinking about it abstractly: young woman needs a bodyguard to protect her and here comes a big, bad, ex army dude. The questions start forming: What's he protecting her from? How cozy are they getting? Oh how intense and scandalous will this be? Will he take a bullet for her?! OMG It's going to be something epic and heroic and awesome! Ouh la la! And thennnnnn, not so much.

Jake was sweet, which was fine, but kind of unexpected from what we were lead to believe about his character. Everything from the cover to blurb to even the first few chapters let you assume that it's going to be a hot alpha bodyguard who can kick some ass and take names at the same time. But that's not exactly who Jake was. He was sweet and caring, which is fine, I really enjoyed the struggles that his past had with PTSD, but he still felt sort of flat. There was just little there past his one anxiety issue that we saw and a bunch of bitterness. It was great when he was in bodyguard mode, the protector, at times a little cocky, but then the jump from this to the sweet guy was awkward. It can be fine if explored more but it just felt choppy and indecisive.

I love it when I can connect with a character and really feel myself care for them and the story that they're living, but Cami was just sort of there. She's not memorable, I never actually really liked her and didn't connect with this one what so ever. Maybe it's just me, maybe I can't connect with young British socialite models who grow up and still live on daddy's dime? No? Just me? And no I don't care if she pays 'rent' to him.

This story has an extremely odd timeline. At times only a few days had passed but the characters then mentioned it had been weeks, and others they had 'known each other for so long and knew the other so deeply' and yet it had been two days. Let's get real here. From my understanding, there was the day that Jake started to work for Cami, and it was a day or two after that where the threat countdown began. This gives them a total of five to seven-ish days together. But then it's mentioned how it was actually weeks together? No? I know math is sometimes hard but I don't think that's how it works...

Then, to make this time line even better, the characters fall in love. Fall in deep, mushy instalove. Seriously, they were 'in love' faster than my car insurance company takes my money at the beginning of the month. It was (again) kind of hard to grasp with the timeline, but I figured it was around day four that this magical revelation started arising. Fun stuff. There was also very little build up beyond lust and appearances. Jake was a little heavier in that he was appreciating her personality as well, but Cami seemed to appreciate how Jake looked and the fact that he was all manly, mysterious and protecting her (after she threw her tantrum, that is).

After the climax of the novel, you know, where in theory they get the bad guys and everyone lives happily ever after, usually I'm all hyped up and in my mind, whisper yelling "Yeah, look at you being all awesome! Damn straight, no one messes with these two! *Cue the Cell Block Tango* because they had it coming." But in The Protector, I actually stopped, looked up from the book and had a "Really? They was it?" Moment. The reasoning was weak and I just couldn't find it within me to care.

In all honesty, I was a little underwhelmed with the entire story in general. It wanted more romance, more intrigue, suspense and mystery. More heart, more angst, more something. Something more than what I got.

The ending, meaning the last chapter and a half was fine, dare I say cute even, but it didn't feel like it fit with the rest of the novel. Almost like no one knew how the story should end so that was just shoved in. Everyone was miraculously happy and cured and moving on with their life with no setbacks. #thatwasfast. The characters (two in particular) had major character/attitude/opinion and outlook changes near the end and it was odd. If worked in a little smoother, maybe given the impression of these changes taking place earlier on, I perhaps could've been on board, but you can't just go changing everyone right at the end! They didn't all see the light at the end of the tunnel, I promise!

You know what really grinds my gears? Discrepancies in the small details. Don't go on and on about a heroine's gorgeous topaz eyes, describing how amazing and unique they are, but to switch halfway through the story and decide the heroine all of a sudden has 'sparkling blue' eyes. Now I know I could be a little rusty on my colours but last I checked, topaz and blue were not the same thing. Isn't it like a red/orange/yellow/brown colour? Come on, this is what betas are for. Or editors.

*EDITED* Apparently topaz can be a blue/brown shade as well but it's not as common. Stick with one descriptor if this is the case, don't start confusing people (like me! Clearly I have no idea how gems/colours work these days).

So yeah... This isn't exactly a review, more like a list of why I didn't love this one. If I had a little more of a heart today I could've maybe come up with something I liked about it to add to the list but meh, not feeling it. So enjoy my mess of nonsense. :)

Here's something nice! I chuckled at this quote. Oh, and any character who can beat someone over head with a frying pan (in true, Disney Tangled fashion), gets a high five from me. So kudos, you guys get one high five.

“I recoil, disgusted, as I remain on the bed listening to Lucinda’s tirade about Jake’s stupidity, but Jake doesn’t argue, doesn’t breathe a word. Then it falls quiet, and I wonder, probably reasonably, whether he might have strangled her.”

Profile Image for MELISSA *Mel Reader*.
1,324 reviews1,389 followers
4.5 "I See You" Stars!
(ARC provided by author)
(BR with Dee)

photo D288BBB1-A149-4883-A612-085A4F37B9A2_zpsqyjgqknz.jpg

Jake Sharp is a 35 yr. old ex-SAS sniper who loathes himself. He's still living in the past & getting by by indulging in drinking and sex. He suffers from flashbacks, PTSD, & anxiety. He's tortured by his nightmares & needs to stay busy. He needs a purpose to keep his past horrors and demons at bay.

As a trained soldier, he now works as private security for a security firm in London. He hasn't had work for the past two weeks & is losing his mind without an assignment. When he's offered the job as bodyguard to Camille Logan, the daughter of one of the most ruthless, powerful businessmen in London, he takes it. He's relieved to have a job, & be able to focus on a mission again.

photo 4D3B401E-C588-449C-8337-1D5E7FA9EC50_zpsi0lohxel.jpg

Jake is the best of you want to keep someone safe. He has an impressive reputation, but Camille Logan could care less. She is angry her father has hired her a full time shadow, even if he's absolutely gorgeous. She isn't taking the threat seriously, & just wants her life to stay the same as it was. As a successful model & daughter to Trevor Logan, she is already hounded by the paparazzi & has little privacy.

Camille & Jake clash as he tries to do his job, and she continues to make things difficult for him. Jake soon learns Camille is an extremely strong, independent woman, who wants to make it on her own. She isn't the spoiled, shallow heiress the media makes her out to be. She's a kind, compassionate, stunning woman.

As they are together day & night they are insanely attracted to one another, & their want for each other just intensifies. Jake is so tempted by Camille, but tries to keep things professional & remember she's a client.

photo 0F2B1B84-7C40-4284-BAFD-C3617DFEFB8E_zpsuh0acgyu.jpg

-Oh my days, he's stunning- so tall, solid under that grey suit, but not bulky, and his long legs are spread a little, his stance wide. He looks powerful. Strong. Fucking delicious.

-He is just about the most perfect man I've ever seen.

-"I know I shouldn't be attracted to you like this."

-"But I can't think of anything right now but you."

-I want it. All of it. All of him.

photo E0A45B19-CCBD-4FED-B101-4B9CA1E7A336_zps3rn7dto6.jpg

Jake & Camille grow closer & she becomes used to him being with her & starts to rely on his protection as threats against her grow more serious. His instinct to protect her becomes more primal than driven by duty. As they give into their desires for one another Jake feels powerless against his feelings for this woman. She makes him want a future, & he's totally devoted to her. She brings his broken soul back to life & teaches him to love again. I really loved this book & thought what this couple shared was beautiful!

photo db1c578e-a78a-4668-948b-dd7d85fdbe7f_zpsmtdbzdfp.jpg

-I've never felt so absorbed by a woman that she makes me want to sacrifice my soul in her honor. I've never felt this. Never.

-Many words are trying to wrestle their way into my twisted mind, but only one is making it through. Mine.

-She is all I see, all I feel. She belongs to me, every piece of her spirit, her body, and her heart.

-I'm keeping her forever.

"You're the missing piece I wasn't looking for, angel."

photo 7f2a0674-9457-4206-a18b-ab26ca446dbc_zpslrutmwsc.png
Profile Image for Rachel Reads Ravenously.
1,789 reviews2,134 followers
Read
DNF

I was intrigued by this book because of the cover and the blurb, so high five on the marketing job. Unfortunately the execution of the concept is not for me. I didn't care for the main guy, he was so beyond self involved and arrogant. The heroine wasn't bad at all, at least in what I had read.

ARC provided by publisher via netgalley in exchange for an honest review
Profile Image for ✰ Bianca ✰ BJ's Book Blog ✰ .
2,120 reviews1,175 followers

description

Four years ago one of Jake's missions as a special forces soldier went wrong, and he lost two of his best buddies in Afghanistan. He blames himself for having been distracted and still has horrible nightmares every night.

He's working as a security person in London now. And his work, alcohol and sex are the only things that make life worth living at the moment. If you can call what he does living...

description

Camille Logan is your typical rich, spoiled princess slash model.

description

Daughter of a rich and important guy, she has been all over the tabloids. But her last boyfriend and her recent stint in rehab seem to have woken her up a bit.

She's trying to live a good life now. Trying to prove to herself and everyone else that she can do it on her own. Start her own clothing line without Daddy's help. But some bad guys her dad has been doing business with are out to get him. And her. That's why Daddy Logan hires Jake.

Watching a spoiled brat is NOT what Jake needs in his life right now.
But the money is good and he needs every job to get his mind off the bad things that are constantly playing behind his eyes.

He didn't expect Cami to be this amazing person.
He was expecting to just shadow her, to not engage in anything. Easy job. Easy money. Not much contact with that tabloid girly.
But nope, Cami has changed... And he's fascinated by her.
And she's just as fascinated.

Oh my days, he's stunning....
He looks powerful. Strong.
Fucking delicious.

But he can't afford to be distracted from his job. That has happened before and good people had to pay the price for his mistakes....

description

But maybe it's time to give being happy a try again?? Even if he's not the kind of guy a girl like Cami needs and deserves? And with her dad against him and the bad guys still out there....

Cami and Jake have a long way to go until they can see a Happily Ever After on the horzion....

WHAT WILL HAPPEN WITH CAMi & JAKE???
WILL THERE BE A HEA???
OR WILL THERE BE A CLIFFY???

description

I'm not telling you that of course ☺

═════════════════════════════

I LOVED THIS STORY!

Perfect book!

I just loved Jake & Cami.
There's this instant attraction/connection/lust thing that both don't really want ... but can't stop either.
They're so adorable - they way they fight against their feelings.

Lots of funny and cute and sexy moments with those two!

But of course it's not all cute and funny and adorable. We have some serious suspensy and mysterious and exciting and moving things happening too.

description

The perfect mix of genre elements come together to make an amazing story!
Jake & Cami will make you laugh, guess, wonder, hate, love, want, cry and some grrrrrrs and aaawwwws will come out of you too ☺!!!

Also - mega-beautiful cover!!!
(not one of those random, sexy guy-covers. This scene really happens ☺)

THE PROTECTOR was such an adorably beautiful & exciting & sexy & funny romance! Donations will be accepted via paypal - I'm going to hire Jake to guard MY body next!
Run to your nearest amazon to fall in love with Jake & Cami too!!!!

Smokin Hot Book Blog Email
Profile Image for Beverly.
1,005 reviews801 followers
August 30, 2016
Jake Sharp hasn't really been living his life since his military career ended. Now working for a private security company he goes from one job to the next with no fulfillment or peace. He cannot forget his past mistakes and is living with regret.

Camille is a model and heiress, to the outside, her life looks perfect. To be honest, she is pretty pleased with her life right now too. She has ended the relationship with her abusive ex and is focusing on building a fashion business with her best friend.

Camille, still very much in her father's grasp is summoned to his office when he receives threats on her life. Her father wants only the best to protect his daughter, that's where Jake comes in. Jake and Camille do not hit it off immediately despite their attraction. Jake thinks she is a spoiled princess and she doesn't feel she needs a body guard.

I love the build up in a story between a couple and this one definitely had me ready and waiting for more. Mainly because this story actually has so much going on. Jake has his secrets and then we also have the suspense and mystery surrounding Camille's threats.

Personally, I would have loved more romance and less suspense, but that's just my preference. To me, the story would have moved more quickly with more focus on them together. However, if you are a fan of suspense and mystery this is probably right up your alley.

ARC kindly provided in exchange for an honest review.

344 reviews200 followers
October 1, 2016
3 Stars!

I feel like a horrible person because every time JEM releases something new I always compare the H to Jesse Ward... and I usually get disappointed. I can't help it!! I love Jesse so much, and I always crave more of his character in other characters. Which I know is completely unreasonable because Jake Sharp is obviously NOT Jesse Ward... but still.

I was mainly not a fan of Jake and Camille's characters, she came off as bratty and he was just tortured and broody (which I usually dig). Although their relationship did develop rather beautifully, how they were at the end really showed how far they came with each other. And they really had to fight a lot of obstacles to get their.

Jake did have his possessive tendencies which I loved!

"She is all I see, all I feel. She belongs to me, every piece of her spirit, her body, and her heart. I'll cherish it with everything I have. Let it be known as god is my witness, I'll tear apart anyone who tries to take her from me... Blood will be shed, and I will show no remorse for the carnage I create along the way. Amen."

It was an overall good story, lots of twists and turns to keep you on your toes!
Profile Image for Kate.
159 reviews240 followers
Shelved as 'couldnt-finish-dnf'
DNF 30%
Jesus, i fucking hate when this happens!

More info below.
Profile Image for Beatriz.
817 reviews694 followers
July 31, 2017
¿Qué puedo decir? ¡Es que este libro me ha encantado! Aunque, por los comentarios que he leído de otros lectores, quizá se deba a que soy una completa debutante: es el primer libro que leo de Jodi Ellen Malpas y es mi primera novela con temática de guardaespaldas.

Está escrita en primera persona, alternando las voces de sus personajes principales, lo que nos permite comprender cómo se van gestando los sentimientos de Camille y Jake, así como sus miedos y esperanzas. Personalidades bien definidas, que no dejan que te confundas en esta lectura alternada.

También quedé muy satisfecha respecto del misterio asociado a las amenazas a Camille y al pasado de Jake, me gustó como se resolvió todo y la autora supo bien cómo mantener la intriga hasta el final (por lo que es difícil comentar más sin hacer spoiler). Además, tiene la carga de sensualidad que me gusta, esa que incluso se siente crepitar antes de llegar a los encuentros íntimos de la pareja.

Llámenme romanticona, pero también me encantó la portada, que recrea una de las escenas del libro.
Profile Image for  Sonya ♕Chatterbooks book blog♕.
953 reviews1,052 followers
September 4, 2016
★★★3.5 Stars★★★

photo 1472948662966_zpsvdjuapej.jpg

photo rfJO72E_zps5or7gerf.png

A famous model,an ex military guy who's been hired to protect you, and off the charts sexual tension surrounded by deadly suspense? Yes please. What happens when the life you've known, suddenly gets turned upside down in the form of a 6'2 menacing and very hot bodyguard? Drama. You get drama!

Jake Sharp has been battling his own personal war for the past four years. Having been out of the military, everyday has become a constant struggle with trying to move on. How does he cope? By keeping busy with different job assignments and screwing his way through London. Not exactly the best tactic but it works for him in the meantime and he's trying his best. Hired by a rich bussinessman to protect his famous daughter, Jake's job is about to get a whole lot harder.

Camille Logan has a bright future ahead of her. With a successful modeling carreer, her next goal is to have her own clothing line along with her best friend. Coming off of a bad breakup and negative press about her social life, Camille is determined to move on and live a happy life. But when a threat forces her father to take precautionary measures, her somewhat simple life is going to be a thing of the past. When Jake Sharp enters your life, expect some things to change.

photo tumblr_njaoj7Xnmi1s7oxg6o1_500_zpszcigr1j4.gif

photo rfJO72E_zps5or7gerf.png

"I've never felt so absorbed by a woman that she makes me want to sacrifice my soul in her honor. I've never felt this. Never.

What started out as a job has turned out to be a fierce need to protect Camille and Jake isn't taking any chances with her safety. But her stubborness is starting to piss him off and turn him on at the same time making their arrangement quite hard.No pun intended*. Will they give into their desires or will Jake's past come back to haunt him?

I really enjoyed the first half of this story. I loved Camille and Jake's first interaction with each other and how they were trying to get along despite the orders. And when those two got together, it was like someone struck a match because those scenes were freakin HOT.

But somewhere along the line, I became distracted and quite frankly bored. I wouldve liked if the story was more focused on them for a little while and not the other stuff. I also didn't like the instalove and everything became too rushed for me especially towards the end. Despite all of that, if you're a fan of suspense, then you're going to absolutely love this one.

*Arc kindly provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Michelle.
2,101 reviews1,251 followers
January 25, 2018
ARC provided by publisher in exchange for an honest review

photo ee5a0e0688a2f0d1b09bba6d186286_zps4c8y1nh3.gif

photo 814a732d54b00f95e2fccf437ea7d8_zpsmyrhxwk5.gif He looks serene and even more handsome without the hardness in his eyes that’s present when he’s awake. His face alone could hold my attention for all of eternity, his dark mussed hair all askew, his stubble rough, his jaw sharp. Absolutely gorgeous. Manly. Primal. Rough.”

Jodi Ellen Malpas is synonymous with strong alpha male heroes and in her newest release, The Protector, Malpas entices readers once again with a new sexy alpha male hero that will steal our hearts!!! Readers who love the bodyguard trope are in for a special treat as Jodi Ellen Malpas delivers a sexy, emotional fast paced romantic suspense that will hold you hostage.

#TheProtector

Jack Sharp is a former military sniper who suffers from a severe case of PTSD. From time to time, he is still haunted by memories of war and his past. Jack Sharp knows death and has stared death in the eye and yet he is still alive. Jack takes the job offer to be a personal bodyguard to Camille Logan so he can distract himself from his past and issues. This should have been a simple babysitting job but as it turns out there is nothing simple of Camille Logan especially when lust, passion and feelings begins to emerge.

photo 814a732d54b00f95e2fccf437ea7d8_zpsmyrhxwk5.gif She’s so fucking strong. Just being around her offers a sense of calm that I know I shouldn’t be taking. She’s not a distraction. She’s a comfort, and I don’t deserve any comfort.”

Camille Logan is the daughter of a very wealthy powerful and ruthless businessman. She is also no stranger to the spotlight as she was once a former party girl. Now clean and sober, Camille is ready for a fresh start with her career in fashion design alongside with her best friend. As an independent and outspoken individual, Camille is shocked to learn that death threats have been made against her and so her father took precautionary measures and hired Camille a personal bodyguard. What she didn’t expect was to fall for bodyguard, Jack Sharp.

#TheProtector2

Right off the first meeting, it was undeniably obvious that these two were attracted to one another. As Camille tries to push Jack away and remind him that she doesn’t need a babysitter, Jack would push back and so began their push and pull relationship. It was only a matter of time till one of them crossed that line. When Jack couldn’t resist any longer, one taste of Camille was not enough as she stirred something deep inside in him. It was as if she awakened his heart once again to the possibility of love. But what happens when Jack’s past and secrets are exposed, will Camille be able to love a broken man? And will he be able to do his job of protecting Camille from the person who wants her dead?

photo 814a732d54b00f95e2fccf437ea7d8_zpsmyrhxwk5.gif My need to protect this woman isn’t duty. It’s instinct.”

The Protector was a fast paced electric charged romantic suspense that beautifully weaved passion, danger, and raw emotions in a very sexy manner. Jodi Ellen Malpas did a great job showcasing a broken man who’s job was to protect but in the end, it was Jack Sharp who needed protection as Camille Logan did her job as she broke down the walls of his heart. So if you are looking for a sizzling romance that has weaved suspense in the mix then this book is definitely for you.

photo 292a3e906e0c0e3309d099b27b610c_zps0ewbbusc.gif

photo MICHELLE1_zps3515xymk.jpg Jodi Ellen Malpas

photo goodreads_zps4ne1ish9.png  photo facebook_zpsbtsrwwc6.png  photo twitter_zpspaaihikb.png  photo instagram_zpsbght1shy.png  photo networked-blogs_zpse4jmfh6l.png
Profile Image for Gi's Spot Reviews.
1,073 reviews1,151 followers
4.25 'I'll Always find You' Stars

Jake Sharp is every woman’s fantasy man because ‘Mysterious, dark and dangerous’ fits him to a t. That is until you really now what his happening behind that handsome and appealing package…

“Where’s the billboard?”
I swallow. “Huh?”
“The billboard.” Her eyes dart, genuinely looking around.
“What billboard?”
“The one he’s just fallen out of?”

But looks can be so deceiving, and being that panty melting magnetism he hides a world of pain, guilt and suffering. Five years prior something horrible happened, destroying his world, and his causing a chain of events, that altered his existence forever. An existence where alcohol, anonymous sex and his job are his coping mechanisms, and which allow him to barely survive, much less live. But his job in security and protection really is his lifeline. Without that distraction, he would just drown in a sea of pain. And its only this prospect that makes him a accept to take on the job as shadow of the spoiled and frivolous daughter of a billionaire. Or so he thought…

Camille as always tried to escape this preconceived image of daddy’s spoiler and wealthy girl, and takes her independence and struggle to fight her own battles very seriously, so when a treat against her life, doe to her father’s business, comes up and she his forced to deal with a shadow, a ever present bodyguard in her life, let’s just say she is less than pleased.

To make matters worse that protector had to be an handsome and sexy devil, which causes her body to react in most unwelcoming ways, so in addition to fighting this theft of her privacy and independence, she also has to fight her body and the attraction to Jake. Talk about an impossible mission!

But this struggle against this attractions isn’t one sided, Jake has to fight at every turn against these feeling and magnetism that Camille has woken in him, and let’s just say he also isn’t a happy camper.

Camille, however, is costing me lots of thoughts. Inappropriate thoughts. Painful thoughts. Annoying thoughts.

I can behave as professionally as I like, but my cock and all other vital organs aren’t playing along. Resistance is key. Being sensible is paramount.

All the pushing and dodging away is hard to keep up on both ends, specially given that they’re together and in contact 24/7, even more so when they start to unveil the other’s true personality, and what they both hide behind their well put together facade. When they do, they are even more attracted than they were together, because they complement each other perfectly.

My eyes are heavy, and my heart is full of hope.
Hope that I never encounter Sebastian Peters again. And hope that Jake Sharp stays with me forever to ensure it. To protect me from him. From everything.
I’ve never felt so certain or so desperate in my life. I want him—this cryptic, unfathomable man. I want him with every fiber of my being.

Of course with this new discoveries, their already epic attraction, that was set to explode at some point, took only a small physical touch to break through in a way, that there was no more coming back for them. They were completely lost to each other, and nothing else existed.

I’ve never felt a connection so intense that I can physically feel it. It’s no distraction. It’s no means to an end. It’s tangible. It’s pulling at every one of my muscles and stabbing at every inch of my naked skin. I’ve never felt so absorbed by a woman that she makes me want to sacrifice my soul in her honor.
I’ve never felt this. Never.
Mine.

And it was an hold no barriers explosion! One of vulcanic proportions, that will surely leave you weak kneed and panting. That’s how crazy HOT they are together!

From that point forward there was no more denying their true feelings, and they gave in to all the lust and passion in the most delicious and steamy ways, with some scorching sex scenes and interactions. We could literally feel the sparks flying when they were together – it was enough to be in the same room. Jake really let it all show and his possessive, protective, OTT Alpha couldn’t have shone more through. And I loved every second of that, how he wasn’t afraid to show how crazy he was when it came to Camille.

“Does it swallow you up like it does me?” he asks quietly, unmoving above me. “Does it consume you so much you think you might never break free?” He rises to his elbows, taking his time, until he’s gazing down at me, looking almost confused. His handsome face is clear, his gorgeous eyes twinkling. “Tell me you feel the same. Tell me I’m not alone.”

Yes, he did get on my nerves in the beginning, with his arrogance, cockiness (specially in the regards of his sexual past and confidence) and asshole and standoffish attitude towards Cami. But when he gave in, OMG! he made me fall in love with him along with Camille. I loved his brand of crazy obsessed with her. They had these fantastic steamy moments, where he made me fan myself with his possessiveness and dirty talk, but also had the most amazing tender and loving moments, where he showed her how precious she was to him, that had me swooning… WOW!!!

“You calm me, regardless of the fact that you’ve actually made my life the most chaotic it’s ever been. You’ve found me, despite the fact that I never wanted to be found.” I grab her hands and squeeze, desperate for her to understand the depth of impact she’s had on me. She looks stunned but calm. “You’re the missing piece I wasn’t looking for, angel. And now I’m scared of being incomplete again. I’m so scared of being without you.”

Doesn’t that just make you melt? I couldn’t get enough of these moments, where he truly showed her what she meant to his, that she really was his angel. That she saved him from the darkness and despair.

And of course that this ‘perfect imperfection’ of Jake isn’t surprising, given that we are talking about a story written by Jodi Ellen Malpas! She is, after all the creator of the Lord of the Manor, Jesse, and who could forget that character? I certainly never will! And after reading this story I have to say that Jake is close to that unforgettableness, given some personality similarities, like the crazy possessiveness and obsession (not quite on Jesse’s level, LOL) as with their unquestionable love for their ‘angels’.

Like I mentioned before I enjoyed this story immensely and loved all the characters – specially Jake and Camille – and the pace and development of the side plot and the unveiling of the mysteries. I would have rated it higher if not for that nerve touching details on Jake that I referred before, and for the lack of true epilogue. I wanted more about their future, and what happened to them further along, specially given that it’s a standalone.

Nonetheless I LOVED this story, which was one of my most anticipated releases this year, and JEM sure did not disappoint! After this I can only count down the days and be on the look out for her next release, because I have no doubt that from her creative hands it will certainly be something delicious – specially the Hero!!! <3

“Home.”
“Where’s home?”
“Where do you want it to be?” He looks across at me, keeping his face blank, waiting for my reply.
“You’re my home now,” I tell him. “Wherever you are, that’s my home.”

“What is your thing?” “You.” That’s easy. “You are my thing.”

ARC Kindly provided by the author via Forever in exchange for an honest review

For full review with Release Blitz and Giveaway, check out my blog post,
Profile Image for Olga therebelreader.
888 reviews666 followers
August 9, 2017
**3.5 stars**

Meh. I liked it but I didn't love it. I loved the story and the ending, the fact that we got both main characters point of view and Jake of course, but then who wouldn't. The suspense/angst storyline intrigued me but the romance aspect of the book was weak. I wasn’t satisfied by the relationship-building between the lovely couple…The ending was sweet though. There were some really steamy scenes which I loved. I liked the chemistry between the main characters. Cami was sweet, kind, strong and spirited. Jake was dark and enigmatic. The Protector is a book perfect for bookworms who are into bodyguard romance stories and great heroes with PTSD.

In short:
Hero 4/5 | Heroine 3/5 | Plot (Point, Originality) 3/5 | Writing Style 3/5 | Steam 4/5 | Romance 3/5 | Angst-Suspense 4/5 | Darkness 1/5 | Humor 0/5 | Secondary Characters 3/5 | Drama-Conflict 3/5 | Mystery 3/5 | Twists 4/5 | Pacing Steady | Action 4/5
October 7, 2017

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

I've had several people recommend Jodi Ellen Malpas's work to me, so reading THE PROTECTOR felt like common sense. Plus, that cover looks just like the iconic carrying scene from The Bodyguard. I can practically hear Whitney Houston singing...

No, not "I Will Always Love You" but "Why Does It Hurt So Bad?" And by "it" I mean my brain, because reading this book gave me one mean mother of a headache.

The plot is pretty simple because there isn't much of one. Cami(lle) is the daughter of a rich magnate-type who is getting blackmailed. When Cami becomes the focus of the threats, her father hires Jake, an ex-Sniper from the SAS, to guard her body. This being a bodyguard romance novel, pretty soon he's doing far more to her body than guarding it. Also, since this is a bodyguard romance novel, Jake is naturally hiding something from Cami about his past. And naturally, she finds out about it in the worst way.

Naturally.

Cami is kind of like a cross between Paris Hilton and Tiffany Trump. She comes across as spoiled, but she has a business acumen as well (she wants to start her own fashion line). She also has moments of kindness, even if she's blinded by privilege. I liked her at first, because I like reading about feminine women who don't feel apologetic or ashamed by their femininity (one of the reasons Elle Woods from Legally Blonde and Cher from Clueless are my faves). Then Jake hopped on the scene and literally all she could think about was "Jake, Jake, Jake, Jake, Jake."

Jake, on the other hand, reminds me of those heroes from the Harlequin Desire line - alphahole, controlling, creepy, possessive, and manipulative. Cases in point: Using the word p*ssy and what I think is a British gay slur ("ponce"?) to refer to feminine things or emotional things and getting so jealous of the male model posing with Cami during one of her photoshoots that he shouts a curse word, disrupting the set, while thinking something like "that man has his hands on MY breasts." Because Cami's breasts are apparently his breasts. He owns them. Ew. Later in the book, he decides he loves her, so he controls her eating habits (forcing her to eat fatty food she doesn't want), and then an instant later, proposes to her and draws a wedding ring on her finger in pen. Ew. I didn't like him from the beginning and I liked him even less when I found out what his secret was.

Between the bad sex scenes, bad characterization, last-ditch attempt at conflict in the third act, and the insta-love that is utterly without basis or substance, I can't say that there's much to speak in this book's favor. I guess I liked Cami's mom a lot, and I learned a new phrase: "cunny funt."

Apart from that, I'd give this book a miss - unless you find men who think of women's bodies as Monopoly boards attractive.

1 star
September 27, 2016
4 ★'s

JEM is one of my favorite authors and I have quite the love/hate relationship with her This Man series and especially with the hero, Jesse. So, there was no way I was letting this bad boy pass me by even though some of the reviews were less than stellar.

Camille's father has gotten some threatening letters against Camille so he hires Jake to be her bodyguard. At first, Camille is having none of it and gives Jake a run for his money but fairly quickly there's no denying their attraction any longer.

description

I have to say that I love Jake. He's definitely not as alpha as Jesse...that doesn't mean he's not badass because he certainly is but I think with getting his POV, we get to see his brokenness and also his softer side.

I got a kick out of Camille. I loved that she wasn't riding on her daddy's shirttails and that she was so independent. I do think some of "separation" left her with not having her eyes open to things going on with her father.

Things were a little one sided with Jake knowing almost everything about Camille and her hardly knowing anything about Jake. And boy, did he have some secrets!

I thought these two were pretty hot together...there is a lot of sex but I loved seeing Jake's romantic side. However, what in the heck was up with the Twilight déjà vu scene? That was a little...weird.

description

My main problem with this book is that it's a standalone. I know, I know...that should be a good thing but the things is that JEM has written trilogies...and this felt like a whole trilogy crammed into one book. Some things got a lot of attention and others made me curious why they were even in the book!

The drama(s) are pretty predictable but everything ended quite well. The twist with Jake's secret sweetened things up and I liked how that ended even if it went a little too well.

(Prior to review...)
description

sucks that it's not coming out till Sept 2016 but i cant wait!!
Profile Image for Jacqueline's Reads.
2,735 reviews1,477 followers
August 26, 2016
First 7 chapters HERE

4 Bodyguard Stars

The Protector is my first Jodi Ellen Malpas book. I don’t know why it took me so long, but I was very excited about this read. When I got the book my husband asked me why I was reading The Bodyguard, which was a great movie, so I had high expectations.

The Protector is a mixture of suspense and romance, my two favorite things in a read. I love an alpha male and a damsel in distress, especially one that is rich and slightly famous.

Cami is beautiful and is in danger. She’s not your typical damsel in distress gal, she’s very independent and successful in her own right. She’s also a model. I liked Cami. I liked how she balanced the story with her sassy exterior and rational personality. I felt like she mixed with the Hero really well.

Jake is the bodyguard and he takes his job seriously. He takes it so seriously that he doesn’t even want to take the job on at first. So this created a cute little tension between the two. Jake is the best out there and eventually he takes the job.

I really like the dynamics between Cami and Jake. I like how Jake takes his job so seriously he has this no-none-sense attitude and I like how Cami finds him a little controlling. The banter between the two was a pleasure to read.

“My need to protect this woman isn’t duty. It’s instinct.”

As the relationship progresses, we realize Jake is very guarded and he has his own secrets. This kind of adds a little tension to the read and a bit of mystery. Also, Cami’s crazy ex comes to play and I love a crazy ex storyline.

The book delivers in steam. It’s a lengthy book with plenty of things going on. The second half of the read will keep you on your toes and wondering what’s going to happen. It’s very action pack.
Overall, I enjoyed the storyline and I felt like the main characters had a great fast pace chemistry.

An ARC was provided

The Protector by Jodi Ellen Malpas AMAZON

Profile Image for Mindy Lou's Book Review.
2,630 reviews605 followers
September 17, 2018
I have done a re-read and liked it more the second time around. I think I was expecting it to be like the author's This Man series, so it wasn't what I was expecting the first time around. The Protector was a bit toned down from all the crazy things that went on in the This Man series. Overall, It was good and I enjoyed.

This was my first duel narration audio book and hope they do more like this. It's nice having the appropriate gender to their own pov. And let me tell you, listening to Owen MacMahon's accent was no hardship! My only complaint is I felt like I needed to speed up the females narration but if I did that then the males part was too fast. My re-read was not with audio.
Profile Image for Angie - Angie's Dreamy Reads.
686 reviews13.5k followers
September 6, 2016
Jodi Ellen Malpas brings a mixture of suspense and romance in the stand-alone novel --The Protector. This story follows Jake Sharp, an ex military veteran, and Camille Logan, a model/socialite. Both characters have their own sets of issues, yet they're brought together when Jake is hired by Cami's father to shadow her every move. Cami's dad is a ruthless business man who has made one too many enemies and unfortunately his daughter is caught up in the crossfire by a threat that he's perceived to be worrisome. Thus, Jake Sharp has been brought in to make sure Cami stays safe.

Jake is a rugged, strong, and deadly fighting machine with reflexes and muscles that'll have you double blinking in delight. He's the very BEST bodyguard in the business. And when it comes to the very wealthy Logan family, they only use the best of the best. But when Cami and Jake first get together she is not pleased.

Cami is a fiercely independent person who is not only modeling professionally, but is in the middle of trying to get her fashion line, with her best friend, off the ground. She doesn't want to be shadowed by a devilishly handsome and broody hunk of a man with deadly skills. But unfortunately for her, she has no choice. She's in danger. Jake needs a mission to keep him busy. And her life is about to take an unexpected ride.

As time passes, sparks fly between our hero and heroine, and the mission to protect Cami gets a little more heated and a lot more complicated. Eventually, these two can't deny their attraction and the wicked web around them tightens, leaving them both gasping and hanging on for dear life.

This story is well written and there are many elements to the plot. Not only do we have the romantic push and pull between the characters but there's the underlying threats against Cami. Also add in the complicated dynamic between the characters, Jake's many skeletons, and you have a lot going on. Our hero is troubled, struggling with some seriously heartbreaking PTSD issues.

And while overall the story has the romantic suspense down, I found myself a tad bit underwhelmed. I can't really put my finger on the why, it's not a poorly written book, but it just didn't pack the emotional punch I was expecting.

And maybe that's my fault. Were my expectations to high? I don't know. But no matter how hard I tried to feel this book, it just didn't work. The romance felt dull and the suspense element didn't give me the rush, the heart rate dips and pulls, that I needed. So I guess, I wanted more.

More romance.
More action.
More something.

I'm usually a HUGE lover of instalove/lust and over the top alphas but this felt bland, done before. So ... it wasn't bad, it wasn't good. It was just okay for me.

ARC received in exchange for an honest review

FOLLOW ME ON: FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM | TWITTER | BLOG
Displaying 1 - 30 of 2,002 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.