Start by marking “Lying About Last Summer” as Want to Read:
Lying About Last Summer

Lying About Last Summer

The story centres around a girl called Skye, who is sent to a camp for troubled teenagers after her sister dies in an accident. However, once she is at the camp she starts receiving text messages from someone pretending to be her dead sister.
Published May 5th 2016 by Scholastic UK

To ask other readers questions about Lying About Last Summer, please sign up.
Lady Bookness Not... really. There're just some barely mentioned crushes; nothing that is worth calling romance.
Karen
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Beth
The basis of this book really, really drew me in. It's about a girl who loses her sister and goes to a camp for people dealing with someone they've lost. Whilst at the camp she receives a message from her dead sister. Yep, you read that correctly. How good does this sound?!

However upon reading this, I was so let down, I was really close to not finishing this. The only reason I continued was because I wanted to know who it was. It was pretty predictable as well.

It's quite difficult to explain, yo
Virginie (chouettblog)
I have not read a book which deals with grief in such a manner before.

Its approach to death is all the more delicate as it explores the matter from a teenager’s perspective. And before you think “pass! Books about death aren’t for me”, just hear me out, because “Lying About Last Summer” is everything but a grim story.

Although some of the described events may be reminiscent of similar experiences to some us readers, a full to the top tissue box probably won’t be necessary here.

It has been said a
Rachel Hall
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lying About Last Summer is the debut YA psychological thriller by former journalist Sue Wallman and was selected for the Zoella Book Club in autumn 2016. Pitched perfectly at a YA audience of 12-16, the synopsis does this novel a disservice by misrepresenting it as throwaway horror novel for the teen market, when in actual fact this is a multi-layered and astute novel of a teenage girls bereavement. In a narrative which doesn’t ever get close to being preachy the teenager cast speak in the belie ...more
Sarah Churchill
A quick read that's enjoyable enough, I just feel like there's so much out there that's similar, none of it was new or surprising. Even the Big Twist was foreshadowed to death (bad pun but I can't think of a better term right now) and fell a bit flat. This makes me sad because I really did get into it and enjoyed the first portion, I wanted more from it and it unfortunately didn't deliver.
Maddie
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
THIS. I didn't know it was exactly what I wanted to read until it was in front of me. I had such a fun time reading this (mostly because I read it all in one sitting, sat out in the sun!). The pace was great, creating a suspicious mind-set was successful, and there was something about the writing that was so unassuming but detailed that I was just eating up.
How the mysterious texts (very PLL) were handled was amazing as Skye was just so level headed about the whole situation, keeping it as evid
Zainab
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sakina
Sometimes you need a story that's nothing stressfull or complicated or demanding; something light, relaxing and interesting and engrossing.
I loved the (subtle) thrill that was woven in with every detail. The word picture was lively and amazing, and the characters were quite well-established. The story was satisfying too. A bit different from what I've been reading lately.

Skye is at battle with depression since her sister died. Her mother forces her to join a summer camp for 'bereaved' kids wit
Beatriz Pires
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
3 ⭐
It was a solid book but nothing extraordinary. In fact I had extremely high expectations for this book and it didn't lived up to them. It was addictive and entertaining however it didn't surprise or moved me. I solved the ending really soon. It's still a good book.
Chelley Toy
May 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
This review was originally posted on www.talesofyesterday.co.uk

Lying About Last Summer has been high up on my must read now list for a few months.... basically ever since I heard more about it I knew I would love it. It sounded like my kind of book, a thriller, a mystery and with a comparison to We Were Liars meets Thirteen Reasons Why I couldn’t wait to jump straight into the book as soon as it arrived on my door step!

I have to say it did not disappoint!

Lying About Last Summer tells the story o
Zarina
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Sky's sister drowned last summer and her parents think that sending Sky to a camp for the bereaved might help her process the terrible tragedy better. At first camp is pretty okay, and as long as Sky avoids the pool she's enjoying herself, and even making some friends. However, before too long she starts receiving messages from her dead sister through a password protected messaging app they always used to chat away from the prying eyes of their parents.

Bec
Andrew
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review Taken from The Pewter Wolf as part of Murder Month 2016

Last summer, Skye's sister died. Her parents think sending Skye to a holiday camp for beggared teens will help her move on with her life. Move forward.

And, at first, the camp's not the bad. Yes, there are some people there that Skye dislikes and some of the activities remind Skye too much of her sister. But then the text messages start. The texts that can't be possible. As they sent on an messaging app, in a private group. And only tw
Tiffany Heywood
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lying about Last Summer is a young adult contemporary mystery by Sue Wallman. It is about:

'Skye is looking for an escape from the reality of last summer when her sister died in a tragic accident. Her parents think that a camp for troubled teenagers might help her process her grief. All of the kids at the summer camp have lost someone close, but is bringing them together such a good idea? And can everyone at camp be trusted? When Skye starts receiving text messages from someone pretending to be h
Emma
Apr 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Lying About Last Summer centres around Skye and how she deals with her sisters death. The chapters jump from her being at Morely Hill, a bereavement camp where herself and other teenagers take part in different activities to help them mix with others who will understand and to exchange their stories. We then get drawn back to last summer when Skye's sister Luisa dies. What I found to be interesting here is how very different Skye was and how much had changed since her sister passed on.

Skye make
Franki White
Disappointed that I had to struggle through 200 pages to get to a good bit but it was a very good bit. The main plot kinda fizzled to nothing and then the actual climax was over and done with a little too quickly. I wouldn't recommend this.
Tara
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Ending wasn't really that exciting.
Anna
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Stunning! Will review when I get my breath back!!
Stephen Donovan

Having read and enjoyed Sue Wallman's other two YA novels earlier in the year, I always expected to like this one. However, I did not expect it to be quite so impactful. This book explores a very wide range of themes, which are extremely prominent throughout, and act as an effective series of underlying messages within the overall plot.

Many of these themes are reasonably hard-hitting, but they are handled in an accessible way that is ideal for a young adult audience. It is a mixture of
Kelly-Marie
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
At first camp doesn't seem so bad. But when Skye starts receiving texts from someone claiming to be her dead sister, she fears the past is about to surface....

It is such a great contemporary novel think it has a powerful meaning. I read it pretty quick just couldn't put it down. Sue Wallman is a fantastic author love the characters and plot or plots that were in the book. Knew there was something dodgy about that Joe!!

Ratings out of 5:

Cover of novel: 5
Plot: 5
Characters: 5
Language: 5
Reccomeda
Fem
Jul 27, 2018 rated it liked it
It was alright a bit meh.
Agustina
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 I was expecting a lot more from this book. The ending wasn't stunning and it all happened so fast. Anyway, it was a quick entertaining read
Leah
Apr 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-read-2016
Lying About Last Summer is one of those books that sucks you in, and doesn't let you go until you've finished it. I've had it on loan from the library for a while, but never felt like reading it until now. Yes, I am a mood reader, and sometimes I just do not fancy a book, but I finally wanted to read this one, and I did, and it was pretty awesome. It wasn't as twisty as I was expecting, as I had guessed a few of the things that came out towards the end, but it was still a stellar, enjoyable read ...more
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Originally posted on:> http://lauraslittlebookblog.blogspot....

I have been so impressed recently with the amount of thrillers that have come out this year, but Lying About Last Summer is my first YA thriller and it definitely met the mark.

Lying about Last Summer centres around Skye and her dealing with her grief from losing her sister a year ago. To help her handle this grief she has gone to a summer camp for bereaving teenagers, people that she can relate to, but all may not be as it seems.
Paige Watts
Aug 10, 2016 rated it it was ok
My underwhelming book streak continues!

Lying About Last Summer really tried too hard to be something that it was not. From the title and synopsis, I expected a summer thriller with tons of twists that left an impact on me emotionally because it dealt with death and grief, however, nothing really happened..

The idea of a summer camp for teenagers dealing with grief is such a cool idea, and I did enjoy reading about the activities and meeting the characters that all had such different personalities
Nicola
May 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
There's nothing particularly bad about this story; I think it's mostly just a case of it's me not you. Skye is at a camp for teens who are grieving a lost one but soon starts to receive texts from her dead sister. I found the setting pretty interesting as we have all of these grieving teens in one place and it was a good way of exploring the different ways in which people deal with their grief. The mystery side of the plot is where it didn't work as well for me. The reveal of Skye's texter was a ...more
Stacey (prettybooks)
To accompany the slightly lighter novels on my summer TBR., I thought it'd be fun to add a contemporary thriller into the mix! Skye's older sister, Luisa, was killed in a tragic accident, and her parents think that a camp for troubled teenagers, Morely Hill, might help Skye process the grief. But once there, she begins to receive messages from someone pretending to be her dead sister.

Continue reading this review over on Pretty Books.

Thank you to the publisher for providing this book for review
Sheila M. Averbuch
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I tore through this book..can't remember when I last read anything that moved so fast. It's beautifully subtle in its slow reveal of what happened last summer, which works well alongside the vivid characters who are all dealing with having lost someone they care about. I don't read huge amounts of YA ...I find the romantic relationships in much of it overpowering to the rest of the storyline, so I especially loved that the main story here is with Skye's lost sister and the strained friendships s ...more
Kate Ormand
This was a great little thriller that took me by surprise. Not only was the mystery done well, but it was a touching story too. Even though Skye is dealing with fear and confusion over whoever is messaging her pretending to be her dead sister, she's also working through grief and regret, and it all weaves together into a really gripping debut novel full of secrets, lies, and a subtle horror-movie vibe.
Leore
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
There was something about this book I just really liked. It is considered a YA thriller but to me it just seemed like a calm and peaceful novel to read. *shrugs* Don't know what that says about me. Maybe it's the writing but anyway I found it always nice to be reading. Might end up checking Wallmans other book soon.
Camilla Chester
May 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT! Great read, really exciting. Read it!
J.M.
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Very satisfying read. Loved the added sinister element and especially the moment in the story when that dawned on me. Trying hard not to spoil!
Leanna
Oct 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
Started off quite slow but really picked up. So interesting that at one point, I was so engrossed in the book that I missed my train stop!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Twisted Wing
  • Girlhood
  • When I Was Me
  • Flashes
  • Frozen Charlotte (Frozen Charlotte, #1)
  • Young, Gifted and Dead (St Jude's Academy, #1)
  • Possessed
  • Deep Water
  • Shock Treatment (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #17)
  • The Rest Will Come
  • Indigo Donut
From eight to eighteen years, I lived in Highcliffe, Christchurch, on the south coast of England. Before that we lived in various places, including a hospital in York where my dad was a psychiatrist.

After Oxford Brookes University (I was one of the first people to do their publishing degree), I became a magazine journalist. A couple of years later, I went to live in Paris where I was editorial ass
“I know she's dead, but it's too big a thing to know. So I scream at her to wake up, and I can't stop” 0 likes
“I wonder if it's only me who hates wishes. If there are other people who think wishes are thoughts that hurt.” 0 likes