Start by marking “The Revenant Express (Newbury and Hobbes, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Revenant Express (Newbury and Hobbes, #5)

The Revenant Express

(Newbury and Hobbes #5)

Published February 12th 2019 by Titan Books

To ask other readers questions about The Revenant Express, please sign up.
Brad Hoyt FYI: As of today, it looks like the final release date for this book will be in February of 2019.

Karl
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Christie’s exciting detective novel “Murder on the Orient Express”, published in 1934, undoubtedly contributed to the legendary status of the train service. The story of detective Hercule Poirot solving a mysterious murder on the train never gets old.

Now George Mann creates his own version of the tale and titles the journey “The Revenant Express” staring Sir Maurice Newbury and Veronica Hobbes, published on the 10th anniversary of the first Newbury and Hobbs story written. In Christie's b
Caitlin
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Feels a bit like filler, going from cliffhanger to cliffhanger. The actual goal is achieved anticlimactically, with the travel to it taking up all the pages, tossing crisis after crisis at the protagonists. Not bad, but not good, either.
Milou
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Finally the time has come I get to write a review for this book. The wait has been long, so so long - especially considering the situation in which we left Miss Hobbes at the end of the fourth book. Sadly it didn't quite deliver.

Don't get me wrong, this is still a great read. Newbury is a wonderful protagonist to read from, and this time he is joined by Amelia. She really gets to shine in this novel. She clearly is the sister of Veronica, they share some feisty characteristics. Yet she is very m
S.J. Higbee
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an action-packed read, given that it is only just over 250 pages long. Mann certainly manages to keep the tempo fast and furious as both Veronica Hobbes and Maurice Newbury are both attempting to tackle a terrible threat. Although I enjoyed the excellent action scenes, particularly on the train – I am a tad concerned about a major anomaly. We are told in the blurb that Veronica is close to death – so I actually reread the opening chapter in which she features, and at no time do we get a ...more
The Unseen Librarian
“Progress for the sake of progress must be discouraged. Let us preserve what must be preserved, perfect what can be perfected and prune practices that ought to be prohibited.”

While I am loathe to quote one of modern literature’s most heinous villains, George Mann’s latest instalment of the Newbury and Hobbes saga, The Revenant Express, is close to proving Um****ge correct. After all, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Cause change isn’t always a good thing. Having ploughed through the first four (
Helen White
Feb 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for the free review copy. In this installment Newbury is off on a train trip to Russia in order to get a mechanical heart for Hobbes. Meanwhile she is trying to help Bainbridge with some disturbing dead bodies. The revenant express itself is a bit like the Orient express but with murdering plague victims. Not a problem for Newbury but some of the other travellers are tricky.

I really like Newbury and Hobbes they're a great duo. I think that's partly why I w
Ubiquitousbastard
So oddly I was waiting for this book for several years. I'm not a huge fan of the series, but it's readable and I was expecting this book years ago. I think the wait was part of the problem that I had. If it's going to take so long, there is more pressure for it to be great. Instead, this was, if possible, lower stakes than the previous books and felt shorter. I was also looking forward to no Veronica, but unluckily for me, there is half the book concerned with flashbacks to her pointless invest ...more
Connie
Mar 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sir Maurice Newbury is bound for Russia with Amelia, Veronica's sister on a Revenant (Zombie) infested train to collect a clockwork heart for Veronica Hobbes who is dying. But also on the train is a member of the evil Cabal that want Newbury dead.
Will Newbury and Amelia survive the journey? Is time running out for Veronica?
I've been waiting for this ages but didn't realise it has been five years... Hope the next one doesn't take as long.
Fred Hughes
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
George Mann delivers another great steampunk detective story.

A continuation of the Executioner's Heart it closes that story line amongst a great adventure on a train and we get to meet the famous Fabrege in Russia.

Lost of enemies and lost of action as you would expect.

A great adventure from a great author
Karen
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed it but I'm disappointed that we did not learn why Veronica needs a heart. Do I need to go back and read The Executioner's Heart again?
Bethnoir
Mar 04, 2019 rated it liked it
I have been looking forward to reading this book for literally years, so perhaps my expectations were unfair, but as much as I love the characters, I can't give this more than 3 stars.

For nearly all of the book the two main characters are apart, the timelines are confused and picking up the threads from the previous novels is tricky unless you've recently re-read them. Overall I am disappointed, but still glad that's I've been able to read it.
Nana
S.J. Higbee
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Annie
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Originally published on my blog: Nonstop Reader.

The Revenant Express is the 5th book in theNewbury and Hobbes mystery series by George Mann. This series reminds me a lot of The Avengers (the Steed & Peel Avengers, that is), set in an alternate Victorian steampunk world. There are steam trains (with a central train subplot set on an intercontinental steam train reminiscent of the Orient express), magic, secret societies, a clockwork heart (<3 the author's nod to Fabergè), spies, counteri
Debra
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
George Mann is a relatively new author to me who is fast becoming a favourite. In 2018 I read and loved his Wychwood duology (duology at the moment but I hope there may be more...…) and I was really excited to pick up another one of his books.

I will start by saying that I have not read the previous books in this series and, to be honest, I wish I had and that is something I am certainly going to remedy when I get my hands on the previous books. Although this is one of those books that you absol
Michael Webb
Take this as a review from an interested but uninformed reader who picked this up based on its premise but with no exposure to the series prior.

This is a short, lightly steam-punkish take on Murder on the Orient Express. The narrative is split between an investigation in London (of a spore-based virus) and a train (where several bizarre and not-directly related events are hampering our protagonists).

I found the narrative engaging and the pace breezy but I think my lack of familiarity with the c
Cliff
May 06, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I see that in the past I vowed not to read any more in this series. However, I appear to have forgotten that when I picked this book up. It's no better or worse than others in the series. In the story Sir Maurice Newbury and Amelia Hobbes are travelling by train from Paris to St. Petersburg to collect a clockwork heart from Faberge needed urgently by Veronica Hobbes. As one does. Not only is the train full of revenant, but there is a deadly plant which invades and kills living tissue. The story ...more
Michael Davis
For some reason which I can’t quite put my finger on, this one didn’t do it for me in the way that Mann’s previous stories involving this crew have. The action was high-energy and nearly non-stop, the story clicked along at breakneck speed, much like the futuristic train they were on, and the revenants (zombies) induced just as much terror and dread as usual. And yet, it just didn’t grab me the way that earlier Newbury & Hobbes tales have.

If you’ve read the rest in the series I think it woul
Steven Davis
Feb 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
I think what sold this series to me was the anthology of short tales. This novel continues on from 'The Executioner's Heart' which, I'll admit, I read quite a while ago and have forgotten parts of. I bought this in the local Forbidden Planet, and ploughed through it in a few days, liking the setting and the unexpected twist, plus the additional short story at the end, to discover it was published in February this year. Like, 2 weeks ago. So I've got a long time to wait for what could be quite an ...more
Tal
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sf-fantasy
Following their bloody encounter with the Executioner, Sir Maurice Newbury's assistant Veronica Hobbes is close to death. Desperate to save her life, Newbury and Veronica's sister Amelia board a sleeper train bound for St. Petersburg, in the hope that Gustav Faberge might have the answer. But there are enemies on board, and Newbury and Amelia will need all their strength and cunning to survive the Revenant Express.

this series is always cracking good fun, and this instalment does not disappoint!
Alexandra Hart
May 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What's not to like? Steampunk Victorian England murder mystery with a touch of zombies!

Sir Maurice Newbury is a gentleman investigator for the English crown, and this book is one of a series of his adventures with his partner, Hobbes. After starting this one though, it was obvious that one should start more at the beginning of the series to introduce the characters.

So now that I'm loving the series, I'm reading two of his others, the Affinity Bridge and then the Osiris Ritual, which are set pr
Neal Peters
Mar 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Not sure what to make of this instalment of The Adventures Of Newbury and Hobbes; it's basically two threads, in different timelines, that alternate but could just as easily be read linearly. I'm going to have to re-read it in a few weeks because it just didn't grab me like the previous books. Therefore there will be an updated review then.
Elizabeth Judd Taylor
Maybe it’s because this book took its time to be published, but it felt a bit disjointed and I had forgotten some of the key plot points of the previous volume. It was good, I enjoyed it, but it just felt a bit off to me. The bonus short story story was fun.
Anna Marie
Wow, just wow! When something can go wrong, boy does it happen in a really bizarre and horrible way. Just a simple train ride to get a new heart. It goes off the rails in a spectacular manner, entertaining and fun read.
Helena Richards
Disappointing - I'd waited a long time for this book, but nothing much happened and I didn't feel it was as well written as the previous ones. Shame.
Emily Grace
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Great start, but disappointingly rushed middle and end. This is still an enjoyable read, but perhaps not worth the enormous wait.
Felix
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved it and it's worth the wait, but way too short!!!
nikkia neil
I was given a ARC of this book by netgalley in exchange for a honest review.

A fight against time and death across a zombie infested railway and Russia. What more can we ask for from Hobbes? Just wish it were a little longer.

Courtney
Apr 24, 2019
Ben
Mar 15, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Constantine Affliction
  • The Rise of the Automated Aristocrats (Burton & Swinburne, #6)
  • The Devious Dr. Jekyll (Electric Empire, #2)
  • The Red Plague Affair (Bannon & Clare, #2)
  • PERfunctory AfFECTION
  • The Moonstone and Miss Jones (Paranormal Investigator, #2)
  • Chasing the Green Fairy (The Airship Racing Chronicles, #2)
  • Terminal Uprising  (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #2)
  • The October Man (Rivers of London, #7.5)
  • Unnatural History (Pax Britannia, #1)
  • Badlands (Badlands #1)
  • Thomas Riley
  • The Osiris Curse (Tweed & Nightingale Adventures, #2)
  • Tesla's Signal
  • Wicked Wonderland (The Looking-Glass Curse #1)
  • Fields of Gold (Magnificent Devices, #12)
  • Untitled (Dark World, #2)
  • The Cold Light of Day (Charlie Madigan, #5)
George Mann is an author and editor, primarily in genre fiction. He was born in Darlington, County Durham in 1978.
A former editor of Outland, Mann is the author of The Human Abstract, and more recently The Affinity Bridge and The Osiris Ritual in his Newbury and Hobbes detective series, set in an alternate Britain, and Ghosts of Manhattan, set in the same universe some decades later.
He wrote the T

Newbury and Hobbes (5 books)
  • The Affinity Bridge (Newbury and Hobbes, #1)
  • The Osiris Ritual (Newbury and Hobbes, #2)
  • The Immorality Engine (Newbury and Hobbes, #3)
  • The Executioner's Heart (Newbury and Hobbes, #4)