Start by marking “The Sign of the Crooked Arrow (Hardy Boys, #28)” as Want to Read:
The Sign of the Crooked Arrow (Hardy Boys, #28)

The Sign of the Crooked Arrow (Hardy Boys #28)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  1,308 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
With only the slender clue of an arrow-shaped tie clasp, Frank and Joe Hardy pick up the trail of a cunning gang of thieves responsible for a wave of jewelry-store holdups.
Published October 1st 1992 by Armada (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Sign of the Crooked Arrow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sign of the Crooked Arrow

John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another fun addition to the Hardy Boys mystery book series.
Sam
Oct 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story had some exciting plot twists, nothing too major or over the top, but things that kept it interesting. The author used some impressive foreshadowing that you wouldn't have expected, and things you learned about at the start of the book came back towards the end in a totally different fashion.

This was much more on an entertaining read than I was planning, there was alot going on, but never too much to comprehend at once. It wasn't as easy of a read as I would've thought, there were some
Deborah
Apr 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abby-reads
Abby says: This book was very adventurous, interesting and exciting. The crooked arrow was one of my favourite Hardy Boys books so far!
Brian King
Jul 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
These books give role models to young boys from every angle. The father character, Fenton Hardy is an awesome character, and shares a healthy, loving relationship with his wife, their mother. The two boys model thinking through problems, handling emotions, courage in the face of danger, wisdom to ask for help, and so much more.
Laura Verret
I purchased The Sign of the Crooked Arrow without realizing that it was a part of the Hardy Boys series. (No, guys, it did not say 'THE HARDY BOYS' on the front cover - my copy has a different cover. [:) I was a little disappointed when I discovered the fact, but decided that I would buckle down and read it instead. I was surprised by how pleasant it actually was.

The Story.

A car has been left at Slo Mo’s garage for two months. No one has called to claim it. But someone has tried to steal it. A t
Daniel Smith
I think this book is both scary and adventurous. I couldn't put it down and finished it quickly. I really liked the end where Mr. Hardy comes with the police and saves his sons. I think it is really cool how the robbers got away with the theft. Over all I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anybody who likes suspense and surprise.
Grampy
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's probably been close to 50 years since I read this, so I can't recall any details or give a pertinent review. However, I CAN say this much: if not for the Hardy Boys series by the esteemed Franklin W. Dixon, I might not be an avid reader today. The life-threatening dilemmas in which Frank and Joe always managed to find themselves, and which they always survived AND got the bad guys arrested, were absolutely captivating to my young imagination. While reading these stories, I WAS the Hardy Boy ...more
Catherine Woodman
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their famous father's footsteps.
The two boys live in the fictional city of Bayport (on Barmet Bay) with their famous father, Fenton Hardy, a private detective formerly with the New York Police Department, their mother Laura Hardy (erroneously called Mildred in The Flying Express), and their Aunt Gertrude, a char
Peter
Sep 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Sign of the Crooked Arrow by Franklin W. Dixon is a book chalk full of mystery. The Hardy boys go out west to their cousin's ranch in New Mexico. They become mixed up in a group of robbers who have found unknown gas that knocks people out and wipes their memory clean. The boys also find themselves up against master archer with poison and a wish to have them killed. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys mystery and adventure.
Porter
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was really good! It had me guessing until the end. One scene in the book was kind of confusing when Hank, a cowhand, gets a call and says he can't do the task until the Hardy's leave the ranch. This causes the brothers to be concerned about Hanks actions. The book is filled with action and mystery and maybe even death.
Kristofer
In which "Indians" smell like corn, the Hardy's engage in racial profiling, and all Native Americans are necessarily mystical people of the land who can tell the future by squinting and saying something real deep.

For some reasons, the Hardy Boys mysteries with more travel and subtle racism are also the better ones.
Edward Davies
Aug 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, all I can say is that some criminals are idiots. The criminal enterprise is quite clever - using poison cigarettes to knock people out and steal their possessions - but then bringing in random outsiders to help in the manufacturing? It's just silly! Still, this is one of the better Hardy Boys books, even though the means of catching the criminals was a little farfetched.
Jack Tracy
Nov 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
This was a classic hardy boys mystery. It had a great ending that anyone would love. When frank and Joe get a tip that there cousin, Ruth Hardy has been having some trouble on her ranch in Arizona the boys grab their good friend Chet and hurry out to her ranch to see what is going on.
Joy
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, 2011
I read these books as well as the Nancy Drew mysteries as a child, so it is always fun for a visit with "old friends"...
Ron
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent series for young readers - highly recommended.
I read these books when I was 10 - 15 years of age.
Veronica
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
The book was okay,but I wish they were longer and have a more difficult mystery to solve.
Partridge Public
Shelves: hardy-boys-books
The Hardy Boys go to a cattle ranch in New Mexico
Sticks
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
They are good at solving mysteries.
Kelly
Jul 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Great family read aloud.
Hollyken3 .
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
one of the better Hardy Boys books!
Kolan
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
read when I was 10 through 13
Lori Anderson
Feb 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: for-zack
I wasn't even going to bother to give this stars since I dislike these books, but Zack wanted me to read it to him. I was enthralled with Nancy Drew at his age, but it's all so trite now.
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
Fernando Osorio
Sep 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
i think it was a good book.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, childrens
A Western and a Mystery rolled into one with the Hardy Boys. Wonderful!
Ashley Tetzlaff
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great page-turning, action-packed adventure!
Melissa
Apr 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book!

Great book! I love a great mystery anytime and this book was perfect! This is the 28th book in the series, so there is more where it came from.
Kristina
Apr 21, 2016
  • Mystery of Crocodile Island (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #55)
  • Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Castaway Children (Trixie Belden, #21)
  • The Secret of the Haunted Mirror (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #21)
  • The Mystery of the Silver Spider (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #8)
  • The Bobbsey Twins and the Mystery at Snow Lodge (Bobbsey Twins, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Headless Horse (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #26)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...

Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 190 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (Hardy Boys, #9)
  • What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)