Start by marking “Crooked Tree Ranch (Montana, #1)” as Want to Read:
Crooked Tree Ranch (Montana, #1)

Crooked Tree Ranch

(Montana #1)

When a cowboy meets the guy from the city, he can't know how much things will change.

On the spur of the moment, with his life collapsing around him, Jay Sullivan answers an ad for a business manager with an expertise in marketing, on a dude ranch in Montana.

With his sister, Ashley, niece, Kirsten and nephew, Josh, in tow, he moves lock stock and barrel from New York to Mon
Kindle Edition, 2nd edition, 193 pages
Published November 16th 2015 by Love Lane Books Ltd (first published December 13th 2013)

Start your review of Crooked Tree Ranch (Montana, #1)
~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Considering its short length, this book was amazingly well developed with solid characters. Nate and Jay felt real to me. They both had deep loyalty to their families and knew what they wanted. There wasn't a lot of angst here, just tension, a slowly developing love story, and two guys wanting a forever (swoon on cue here). A few plot points were seemingly dropped (What happened to Justin? Did Henry have something to do with it), but I'm assuming they'll be further developed in book 2 (which I w ...more
Erth
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Crooked Tree Ranch by RJ Scott is all about family. It is the veritable city slicker meets country boy, as two families from different walks of life are joined together. Sprinkled with low drama, some tension, and a heaping of family love, Crooked Tree Ranch introduces the many inhabitants of Crooked Tree, along with the coupling of the first pair in this Montana series.

Let’s meet the city slicker Sullivan’s from Manhattan: Jay, his sister, Ashley, and her two kids, Kirsten & Josh. Jay is the he
Meags
3.5 Stars

Family is a focal point of this story, perhaps even more so than the romance that blossoms between cowboy Nate Todd and city slicker Jay Sullivan.

Each man would move heaven and Earth to protect and provide for their families, with Nate being the oldest of three brothers, living and working on a horse ranch—Crooked Tree Ranch—left to them by their deceased parents; and Jay, a NYC marketing pro who works tirelessly to support his older sister and her two children in the aftermath of an a
Jenni Lea
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bmbr, ride-em-cowboy
Jay - city boy extraordinaire

Jay was recently laid off from his marketing job in New York. He’s desperate to find work so he can support his small family. He’s taken on the role of provider for his sister and her two kids. After many unsuccessful attempts at landing a new job in the city he answers an ad for a business manager and marketing director at a dude ranch in Montana…

Nate - gruff cowboy alpha male

Nate is co-owner of Crooked Tree Ranch, a dude ranch that has been in his family for genera
Trio
Who doesn't love seeing city slickers fumble around on a ranch? R.J. Scott does a good job starting this series, introducing the characters and setting up the background info for the ranch. Doubly enjoyable this time around because I got to hear Sean Crisden perform it for me.

an audiobook copy of Crooked Tree Ranch was provided to me for the purpose of my honest review
Macky
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75* rounded up.
The start of a new cowboy series and a very nice, sweet read. I loved the friction between Jay and Nate when they first met and the fact that it built up some good tension in the early stage of their relationship. There's a few story lines and mysteries brewing in the background which I can see coming into the series as it progresses so I'm definitely going to keep reading. I like the family theme running through and there's some interesting characters in there that I'm sure we
Christelle
An enjoyable read with cowboys, horses, the Montana mountains, and families.

Jay takes care of his sister and her 2 children and decides to take a marketing job in a ranch after being fired and wanting to put some distance between his family and his sister’s abusive ex. There, he meets one of the owners of the ranch, Nate, and his brothers.

The cute city boy meets the grumbling cowboy. It’s sweet, full of nice feelings. For a short story, it’s entertaining, even though with no surprises, and leads
Trisha Harrington
Another RJ favourite for me.

Crooked Tree Ranch is the first book in the new Montana series by RJ Scott and let me just say, I adored it! I'm a huge fan of cowboys so this was definitely my thing.

I loved the build up to everything. Nate and Jay don't meet straight away. But that gives us a nice bit of background and character introduction. Two things that I really loved in this book. We also had a chance to get to know the characters. Everything started out really well, which was a really good th
Cory
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It seems that any book R.J. Scott writes about cowboys draws me in! I really enjoyed this short story about a cowboy running a failing ranch and a city boy who comes to help.

First off....Nate. He definitely doesn't mix words and sometimes doesn't say the right things, but I absolutely adored him. Especially the way he was with his little brothers.

Jay had an edge to him and was sometimes cocky, but as with Nate, I loved the way he was with his sister.

I love books that put two explosive personali
Ezinwanyi
This story was very sweet and satisfying. It wasn’t overly dramatic and angsty but it was emotionally engaging enough that I listened to the book in one day. I have to be honest, I am on the fence about Sean Crisden, but his narration of this story was spot on. The author told the story in a dual POV and the voices the narrator used for the characters fit my image of them. This one was one of Sean Crisden’s better performances.

Jay Sullivan worked for a marketing firm while taking care of his s
Cadiva
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love starting a series from RJ Scott because I know I'm going to get a well crafted tale of family and romance with a side order of steamy encounters and a little bit of humour.

Montana is no different and this relatively short opener sets all the scene without ever being a wall of exposition. We see Jay and Nate connecting and falling for each other, we see Gabe and Ashley doing the same.

There's tensions enough to stop the narrative all being one tone but they're the every day life kind, not m
Martin
Apr 08, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned
DNF at 56%
I'm quite sad that this story didn't work out at all for me. Jay and Nate did not seem like a natural match and their interactions rather bored me. All characters were set up to end up with each other (Jay gets Nate, Ashley gets Gabe, Kirsten gets Luke, Marcus has Sophia), which doesn't really keep me on the edge of my seat and made me wonder why I should even finish this.
So I'm gonna let this one go.
2 stars.
BWT (Belen)
Crooked Tree Ranch is the first book in a (so far) four book series. There's a dual POV with slow burn, on page sexy times, some humor, and not a lot of angst.

While I thought the characters are mostly fleshed out, there's a lot that just skims the surface, and I felt like the story was missing some real conflict to drive it forward.

Nate is dyslexic, Jay was in a toxic relationship, Ashley has depression and has been physically and emotionally abused, and her son Josh has dyslexia, but none of t
Candice
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, cowboy

I have mixed feelings about this book. I love this author and pretty much have read most of her stories, so when a new series came out, especially with my favorite, cowboys, it was an auto buy for me.

I enjoyed the book, however unlike others by this author, this one was very slow going for me. I kept wanting it to move along. I realize that this is the first in a new series and the characters need to be set up and the background given, I understand and appreciate that but it just seeme
Heller
3.5

Start of a new series. I'd read more. On a bit of cowboy kick lately and this definitely delivers. A struggling Montana dude ranch hires a marketing expert from New York City. This focuses quite a bit on the marketing strategies which I found interesting. There are a few mysteries alluded to in the story so I'm curious to see where the other books in the series go.
Kaje Harper
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it
One of six free books available right now (Jan 2020) on Prolific Works - https://claims.prolificworks.com/gg/T...

This is a sweet, low-key, cowboy and city slicker story, with the addition of a sister, two kids, and some ranch family. Jay loses his advertizing job in New York, and in a moment of impulse, facing a lack of other workable options, takes a short-term position creating publicity for a Montana dude ranch. The position at least comes with housing on the ranch, and it's a chance to move
Eli Easton
Nov 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I quite got sucked into this RJ Scott novel. I enjoy family-oriented romance novels and this one has two families at the forefront. There're the Sullivans: Jay, his sister and her two kids, who live in Manhattan and need to find a new home when Jay loses his high powered marketing job, and his sister's violent ex becomes a problem. Then there are the Todds, three hunky cowboy brothers who own a dude ranch in Montana which is badly failing.

Of course, this Brady Bunch mix is a match made in heaven
Aղցela W.
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a pretty good read that I liked. Jay Sullivan answers an ad for a business manager with an expertise in marketing, on a dude ranch in Montana. With his sister and his niece and nephew they leave NY behind. Nathaniel 'Nate' Todd has been running the dude ranch, for five years ever since his mentor Marcus Allen became ill he is a former rodeo star and part owner of the ranch along with his two brother Gabe and Luke. Nate and Jay didn't exactly hit it off when Jay first got to the ranch Na ...more
Karen
4.5 stars rounded down to 4 because still no 1/2 stars here on GR. I really, really liked this one...what was I thinking waiting so long to enjoy this story....audio book #2 is happening soon and so is my full review on this one...but, I have a Buddy Read to get to right now so...later ya' all!

With his advertising career coming to an abrupt end, Jay finds that he suddenly needs a way to support not just himself but his sister and her two children. The Crooked Tree Ranch needs saving. Nate's been
Nic
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yippee - A new series!

Available for pre-order 1 November (15 Nov release Total-e-Bound)

Crooked Tree Ranch is the first book in the new Montana series by R.J. Scott. Those of you who read my reviews regularly will know that I have a definite soft-spot for R.J. She's one of those authors who's on my must-read list and I have yet to be disappointed. I love her characters and I love the stories and I adore the way she builds a series. Without fail I get emotionally invested in the characters and lov
Lily
3.3 stars. It was good to see a nice cowboy read since I have not come across one for quite some time; quite well portrayed characters, an interesting universe but a too rushed romance... The protagonists' relationship was developing at a reasonable pace with some tension and revealing banter, when suddenly the super fast-forward button was pushed - they fell in love, most problems were solved and the story ended. I fail to understand why a few more pages could not be added to properly present t ...more
Debra

Good start to the series. This was a real slow build with a good mix of humor and family drama. NYC transplant Jay is a bit of a fish out of water on the ranch, but he knows just how to bait Montana rancher Nate. Their chemistry was good and so were all the family interactions. My only minor issues were some editing problems and that it was such a build up before Nate and Jay got together, that things seemed a bit rushed once it happened.

I'm intrigued by Ethan and the missing boys' sto
Lyn❤Loves❤Listening #AUDIOBOOKADDICT
2.5 stars because this story wasn't only about the MCs but about their siblings and children. It's ridiculous when an author writes a romance novel but makes not one but several secondary characters overly present in the story. It takes away from the development of the romance developing between the two main characters.

I will give the next book a try. If the same nonsense goes on in that book, I will give up on the series all together and maybe even author.
Ula'ndi Hart
Aug 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall book rating: 3.5
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 3

I liked the characters and I was in the mood for fluffy with little to no drama. This did the trick.
I'd like to see what the story with the missing boys are in future.

PS. I'm happy to not have to read Ashley's 'story'
Wax
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: z-11-utc, own-have, mm
Sweet story about a city boy who gets a job on a ranch and falls for the ranch owner. I thought overall the story seemed too pat...like there is someone for everyone. And not enough is done to really shed light on the background into why there are issues on the ranch.
Dani Elle Maas
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars!

Being a big fan of this genre and of the author Mrs R.J. Scott, I was extremely excited to have the chance to review this first book in a new series by this author.

In this story we meet Jay, a marketing guy who loses his job during a big layoff due to re-organisation.

As he is responsible for his family and providing for them, he needs to find a way to get a new job fast. His family consists of him, his sister Ashley and her two children, Kirsten and Josh.

Turning down a job offer set up
Serena Yates
Nov 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gay, read-2016
The first thing I liked about ‘Crooked Tree Ranch’ is that it has a cast of multi-layered characters that was great to watch meeting and interacting in this first book, but that I am sure will continue to be wonderful in books to come. Then there is the whole “city meets country” angle with Jay, the city slicker, moving on to a ranch in the middle of Montana to help with the marketing, and Nate, former rodeo cowboy and current part-owner, unsure how someone who has never even ridden a horse is s ...more
Steph ☀️
Good, but a very slow start....

Not a bad read overall, just not a lot of chemistry between the characters and at times the story itself felt bland. In addition, there were some minor discrepancies when it came to the ages of Sullivan and Todd families.
Caipi
On the first pages I thought, this is going to be a great book! I enjoyed the characters and the writing style.
Unfortunately, it didn't take long and the book started to drag, leaving me dissatisfied and finally bored. :(
Although there were so many interesting characters!
Jay Sullivan, working in marketing, a great guy, who lives with his sister Ashley and her kids Kirsten and Josh to take care of them. Family has his highest priority, something his cheating ex didn't understand!
Ashley, a lovin
Leisha
An Audible copy of this book was provided to me in exchange for an honest review. All opinions that follow are my own.

Writing: ★★★★
Story: ★★★★
Characters: ★★★★

Overall: ★★★★ (4)

~~~

I really liked this one - it was a feel-good read with an interesting story and multidimensional characters. Even more so, I could so clearly picture Crooked Tree Ranch due to the author's detailed and loving descriptions which is always a big plus. The one thing that was clearly missing for me is length - the story was
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• I've Got You (True-Blue, #2)
  • Fakers
  • Dancing with Daddy
  • Say You’ll Be Nine (Say You'll Be Nine, #1)
  • Murphy's Law (Havenwood #2)
  • Stupid Love (Stumbling into Love, #1)
  • Above and Beyond (Twist of Fate #4)
  • Hard Knox (Havenwood #3)
  • Let Me Show You (True-Blue, #1)
  • Off Plan (Whispering Key, #1)
  • Melting
  • Just My Luck
  • Hardwood (Four Bears Construction, #3)
  • Facing West (Forever Wilde, #1)
  • Suddenly Daddy (Close Quarters #1)
  • The Night (Love in O'Leary #5)
  • Safe Harbor (Pine Cove, #1)
  • Renegades (Breaking the Rules, #1)
RJ Scott is a USA TODAY bestselling author of over 140 romance and suspense novels. From bodyguards to hockey stars, princes to millionaires, cowboys to military, she believes that love is love and every man deserves their own happy ending.

Find RJ here: Amazon | BookBub | Facebook - Also, Never miss a release

Montana (6 books)
  • The Rancher's Son (Montana, #2)
  • A Cowboy's Home (Montana, #3)
  • Snow in Montana (Montana #4)
  • Second Chance Ranch (Montana, #5)
  • Montana Sky (Montana #6)

News & Interviews

“Articles like this gave him hope for one day marrying a man he loved, but, at the same time, made him look at his barren love life with regret. Maybe one day he would find someone he wanted to stay with for longer than a few months. Someone who stole his breath and made him believe in forever.” 0 likes