Start by marking “Any Resemblance to a Coincidence Is Accidental” as Want to Read:

Any Resemblance to a Coincidence Is Accidental

Surreal, way-beyond-prime-time satire. Iconoclastic, politically incorrect, non-linear, over-the-top and jam-packed with losers. Experimental scenarios blend humor and horror. Emotionally disconnected characters shuttle between their waking and dreaming lives. Superficial silliness juxtaposed with deeper, darker sociological and philosophical commentary. Profane, funny ...more
Published November 16th 2015 by Hysterical Dementia

Availability: 1 copy available, 1069 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Jan 09 - Jan 30, 2020

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Any Resemblance to a Coincidence Is Accidental, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Any Resemblance to a Coincidence Is Accidental

Start your review of Any Resemblance to a Coincidence Is Accidental
    leslie hamod
    Although this book does offer some insight and observations not universally held, stated under the guise of humour, I found this satire not humorous. The author has a great intelligence but cutting. It was not tongue in cheek as in the spirit of an open mind, it was mocking. I did find the writing extraordinary. It beguiles, and discusses in a play on words many different topics. It offers eye opening insights.I
    However, I felt a sense of unease while reading. It offers much to feed the mind in
    Brian Homa
    Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
    Masterpiece. State of the union address for the concerned outsider in 2016. Hack through the thick jungle of puns and phantasmagoric wordplay, and you will laugh with characters struggling with the constraints of a stifling small-town America, or with the constraints of rapidly gentrifying big-city America, with micro environments where one can find casual hookups but not love. Characters whose chances for love may have passed them by. You will experience Facebook as you probably already ...more
    Erik
    Feb 18, 2016 rated it it was ok
    A quick, but (unfortunately, at least for me) difficult read.

I didn't dig it. Why didn't I dig it? Like with Night Vale podcasts, or recent Neil Stephenson novels, or bad comedians, I felt like the entire time I was being bludgeoned with self-indulgence. Even after only 20 pages, it was too damn much. I pressed forward, but after the half way point I had to stop.

Why does this happen? Think about comedy teams, how at least one person provides contrast by being the "straight man/woman". These
    Jeff Nichols
    Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
    IN short: funniest satirical attack of fB (and More) I have ever read: LOA! BE my Frenimie!
    This is Steve Birds most assessable and funniest book. His last books were good, but one, or at least, I did not catch all the satire; it took work. This is Steve Bird for Dummies if you will; easy like Sunday morning, Sure he will take you into some dark rooms ( disclaimer: a woman is chased and set on fire with a flame thrower. BUT there no way you wont laugh in the first 10 pages. Like Franzens and
    Tina
    Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
    Originally gave it up on page 50 - however, after pushing through I found that the book really starts up great and makes more sense pass page 62; I got this as a goodreads giveaway and sometimes the language can be confusing and frustrating (particularly if you are sensitive to swearing) though, in my opinion the book is funny and has little hints about how you should live life in it. It's like a comical self-help book about people who live life on the edge and fall off the world, basically.

Willa
    Aug 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Ok, this is a Goodreads win. I love Goodreads wins because it gives me a chance to experiment with authors, styles, whatnot. Some are good, some are excellent even, some, well, not so much. I did manage to get through this one, I think primarily because I read one review that said it got better. If, indeed, it did get better, I could not find where.

The book was chaotic, nonsensical. There was no plot that I could find, all characters were shallow to be polite. Reading it was an experience and
    Alex
    Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: ebook
    This book is my type of weird. Clearly not for everyone, by looking at the ratings. However, for me, the text danced along from page to page. I found the satirical commentary hilarious, but again, it is not for everyone.
    Stephen Bird
    Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)
    500 Word Synopsis

Chapter One: An anonymous female “Fakebook spokesperson” deconstructs sociological manifestations of popular culture, as they occur on Fakebook. She ends her lecture by introducing the central character of Noloso Chushingura. Chapter Two: Noloso Chushingura returns to the wretchedness of Mucha Nieve and is shocked by what he sees. Dreams, fantasy, nightmares and memories are his only comfort. Noloso flees Mucha Nieve, crossing the border by bus into Kanuckya. Chapter Three: An
    Aria
    Nov 09, 2016 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: dnf
    Nope.
    - Full disclosure: I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review. -

Longest run-on stream of consciousness ever. Unreadable. I tried to give this a fair shake and read much longer than I would have had I just come across this randomly. Usually a stream-of-consciousness will at least have themes it runs through, or even a character of sorts to follow through their experience. This was just nonsense, and after several "chapters" I was done trying. Here's the
    Nina
    Jan 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
    Any Resemblance to a Coincidence is Accidental (Paperback)
    I have read all of Mr. Birds' previous books and feel this is his best work yet. The book has a feel of a modern day Alice in Wonderland looking at the world of social media in a very funny, bizarrre and satirical way of thinking. Every time I read it, I could not wait to see what the next chapter would bring.

Mr. Bird is a very talented author and his writing ability is able to reach beyond all boundaries, which is truly amazing. The
    Katie
    I won this book on a Goodreads Kindle give-away. I don't think I was a good person to win it, because the style of the book is not my cup of tea. It is tongue-and-cheek and sardonic in a stream of consciousness style. I did note some clever word-play and insights.

I am willing to pass this book on if anyone is interested (Kindle version).
    George
    Feb 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: giveaways
    I received this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review.
    What on earth did I just try to read? I guess, unlike the other reviewers, I just didn't get it. I read 2 chapters and couldn't take it anymore.
    Jay! M.
    Feb 18, 2016 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: stopped-reading
    Received a copy of the book in a promotional giveaway. I was unable to finish. The style just wasn't for me.
    Ann-Marie
    Oct 14, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    I received this book free in exchange for an honest review.

No. Just no. Disjointed, frenetic nonsense.
    In case you think I object to this book because of the writing style, let me tell you I loved the work of John Brunner. You do not have to "make sense" to be a good author.
    But you have to make a point.
    "Any Resemblance..." Just makes a lot of noise. This is the first ARC that I am not going to even finish.
    Pj Gaumond
    Sep 05, 2017 rated it liked it
    I will start by saying that I won this book through Goodreads. It was interesting but sometimes difficult to follow. It's a good thing I have a decent knowledge of NYC and Upstate New York because otherwise it may have been more difficult. I'm not sure what the author's intent was with this book regarding the LGBTQ community since there were really mixed messages.
    Mary
    Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Loved these short stories. Read them all in one day.
    Aimee
    Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Goodreads giveaway
    Brenda Hymes
    Humorous view on what social media is doing to our culture. plenty of laugh out loud moments.
    Shaun
    Jul 03, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: first-reads
    I received a free copy of this ebook through a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

Did not finish. This is not my type of book. Poor writing by including a disclaimer that the writing is poor on purpose isn't an excuse. It was annoying to read. I've never actually read a book that's actually annoying to read. It was like reading Facebook posts from your most annoying friends/acquaintances over and over again. I gave it a good try...getting about a third of the way into it, before giving up.
    Verne
    Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
    Great book!
    Heather
    Jun 03, 2018 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: first-read
    ***I won this book via the Goodreads Giveaway program. This has not influenced my review.***

There is a disclaimer before the table of contents that lets the reader know there will be names, pronouns, and place names that have exaggerated spellings. This is true for verb conjugations, as well. Ok - how creative!

After reading the first few pages of this, I was so lost. Maybe I'm too old, maybe I'm not hip enough, maybe I'm not cultured enough. What the heck is going on here?

I found the sentences
    Jim
    Feb 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: reviewed
    Stephen C. Bird is back with another leap into a linguistically twisted netherworld populated by an underworld of various sex-obsessed down-on-their-luck-like-they-ever-had-any basket cases, with a smattering of magickal beings and fantastick occurrences. At first this book seems like it might be a bit more grounded in reality than Bird's previous works, Hideous Exuberance and Castastrophically Consequential. A good deal of the "action" takes place in towns standing in for various upstate New ...more
    Joleigh Doner
    Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
    I won this book through a Goodreads Giveaway.

This was a bizarre and surreal satire that never focuses on any one character for too long. The book jumps around from a man witnessing the murder of a woman by a group of homeless men to a woman who suddenly transports to a shrine dedicated to Bast to a redneck telling a story about a group of other rednecks who tried to hunt down a woman who had an abortion to a girl admitting through a "Fakebook" post that she's actually an alien to a man lamenting
    Sarah Fisch
    May 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
    I think I'll likely read this several more times, as I did with Hideous Exuberance and Catastrophically Consequential. As with his two earlier novels, ARTACIA is a deft collage of anguished voices, weirdly reassuring if you're as attracted/alienated by social media as he is -- or as the opening narrator is, rather.

If you follow Mr. Bird on Feignbook (tm) you'll recognize his self-and other-lacerating social media voice, herein dilated and sharpened and pushed as far into excess as sexual
    Mandie Pottery
    Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
    I received this book as a Goodreads giveaway, and was looking forward to it, as I'd heard a few things about this author's style being unique. I have to agree, that the style, and story were both unique, but found that in trying so hard to be unique, and utilize satirical names, for various places/celebrities/shows, ultimately ended up taking away from the story line itself. I also had a friend read it, to determine whether my intellect was just not up to the task at hand, or whether, they too ...more
    Rumeur
    Jan 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
    Shelves: goodreads-won, own
    A most enjoyable read! This book was quite different , in many aspects, from what I normally read. While humorous at times, it was complimented by dark sides it was a fast read & wished it could've been longer, but I believe it's considered a novella. I'm hoping the author writes a longer book with similar qualities, or a full size based from this book. Having mixed genres, blending together well in this small size "package" was a delight & a new reading experience for me

I'd highly
    Andrea
    Jun 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
    I received this book in a Goodreads giveaway.

Oh boy, where do I start? The font size was so large I had to hold the book so far away that my arms got tired super quickly. I got a headache after reading for this book for 30 minutes.

I understand the author is trying to be extreme but they could have dialed it down a little bit. Why change all the names of cities? I couldn't keep track of half the streets in the last bit I read because nothing made sense.

I understand that this is suppose to be
    BookNerdBetty
    Sep 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: giveaway-winners
    Interesting and compelling

* I won this book as a giveaway*

I found myself going back for another read of this book after reading reviews and speaking to a friend about it.
    At first I thought I wasn't going to comprehend some of the content, but I gave it another look with a different perspective, and enjoyed it. Always remember, life and art are about perspective. It's not a book I would normally pick up, but I now have a new author to follow.
    Nic nittle
    Feb 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: goodreads-win
    Goodreads win

This was a pretty good book. It was one of those books that I had to get part way through before it finally hooked me. A good quick read. I would suggest to not give up on it till your about 80 pages in. It took about that long for me to really get in it. It is a good written and paced book. Very enjoyable.
    Crystle
    Jun 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
    Shelves: tried
    I received this book as a giveaway in return for an honest review.
    I'm sorry to say I couldn't get through it. It was just a lot of complaining/mocking and poking fun at everything, I mean everything. I couldn't even find the story. I found myself thinking ok I get it, you hate everything. I got halfway through but it's just not for me.
    « previous 1 3 next »
    Any Resemblance To A Coincidence Is Accidental -- Facebook Page 1 1 Sep 07, 2016 02:28PM
    Review -- Kirkus Reviews 1 3 Mar 08, 2016 12:35AM
    Review -- Foreword Clarion Reviews 1 2 Feb 08, 2016 05:23PM

• High Rollers
    • The Touch: A Supernatural Story (The Touch, #1)
    • Fallout Stories
    • There Is a Generation III: Kids of the Greatest Generation
    • The Chateau by the River
    • Identical Pigs
    • The Nowhere Stone
    • Growing Influence: A Story of How to Lead with Character, Expertise, and Impact
    • Do You Take this Man, Elli Moon?
    • Brief, Horrible Moments: A Collection of One Sentence Horror Stories
    • Marked by Love: It's the Only Thing That Matters
    • The Return
    • The Reluctant Healer
    • God: An Autobiography, as told to a philosopher
    • Santa Fe Mojo (Vincent Malone #1)
    • The Nonfiction Book Publishing Plan: The Professional Guide to Profitable Self-Publishing
    • Hedda Stein-Sun's UnRemembered Islands
    • The Girl With No Last Name (John McBride, #6)
    Stephen C. Bird is a fiction writer and visual artist. He was born in Toronto, ON; grew up in Erie County, NY; and lived in New York City for thirty-three years.
    “By the way [or as they say on Fakebook – BTW]” 1 likes