Start by marking “Wild Man's Curse” as Want to Read:
Wild Man's Curse

Wild Man's Curse (Wilds of the Bayou #1)

The bones said death was comin’, and the bones never lied.

While on an early morning patrol in the swamps of Whiskey Bayou, Louisiana wildlife agent Gentry Broussard spots a man leaving the home of voodoo priestess Eva Savoie—a man who bears a startling resemblance to his brother, whom Gentry thought he had killed during a drug raid three years earlier. Shaken, the agent en
Published April 5th 2016 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about Wild Man's Curse, please sign up.

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Jody I wondered the same thing. That was a big loose end left hanging.

Kimberly
Mar 09, 2016 Kimberly rated it really liked it
Five reasons to grab Wild Man’s Curse

If you have a thing for books set in Louisiana, Sandlin’s familiarity with the region is evident from her characters to the incredible scenes she describes. I love books set in the area, and loved the authentic feel from the language to the voodoo.
The murder-mystery was multi-faceted and tightly woven. I loved how Sandlin threaded the pieces together ensnaring the characters and reader within her tale. She has respect for law enforcement procedure and it'
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Mar 29, 2016 Mlpmom (Book Reviewer) rated it really liked it
The bayou, an ancient curse, and hoodoo priestesses, truly, what is there not to love about any of those things in a good story?

I don't know about you but, all of those things combined on top of being from a favorite author, are hand downs, something I don't even have to think about, I'm just in. I know I'm not just in for a good time, a good read, but in for a ride like no other.

It has been awhile since I've read a book in this genre, probably longer than it should be because I had forgotten ho
Jill
Apr 22, 2016 Jill rated it really liked it

While checking on an illegal gator catch, Wildlife and Fisheries agent, Gentry Broussard, sees a guy leaving Eva Savoie's shack. Eva is an old Cajun voodoo priestess. When he investigates, he discovers Eva's been violently murdered. Worse, Gentry thinks the man he saw there was his brother, Lang. But that's not possible; Gentry killed his brother three years previously.

Celestine (Ceelie) Savoie, Eva's great niece arrives back in Whiskey Bayou to tie up her aunt's estate. But when Ceelie is thre
Ian
Calling a spade a spade I'm not a huge fan of Romantic Suspense. Whether it's Karen Rose or Linda Howard, the villains are so over the top evil that they almost become a caricature and the level of depravity committed by the villain is just a dram more than I'm prepared to call entertainment.

So it's not a book I'll ever call a favorite but comparing Wild Man's Curse with other popular Romantic Suspense authors like the aforementioned Karen Rose, Linda Howard and perhaps even Karen Slaughter, I'
Melliane
Mar 10, 2016 Melliane rated it really liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

This series seemed to offer everything I can appreciate: Bayou, Louisiana, voodoo and murder investigation. Yes a lot of things that make you want to discover more and while the author is none other than Susannah Sandlin here clears all other doubts that we might have. Indeed, I always have a great time with her stories and this is still the case this time and I’m curious to see how far this new series will make us go.

Eva Savoie is known by all to be a Voodoo
CD {Boulder Blvd}
I read Book 2, Black Diamond and liked it so well I decided to read the first book in the series. I liked it as well, although I think I like Black Diamond better.

I like the setting and the characters that Ms. Sandlin is developing in this series and I really really like her plots. This feels like a very fresh series and doesn't feel as cookie cutter as some novels in this genre can get.

Linda
A powerful, intense, well-paced, well-orchestrated Southern romantic suspense!!!!

“The bones said death was comin', and the bones never lied.
Eva Savoie leaned back in the rocking chair and pushed it into motion on the uneven wide-plank floor of the one-room cabin. Her grand pere Julien had built the place more than a century ago, pulling heavy cypress logs from the bayou and sawing them, one by one, into the thick planks she still walked across ever day.
She had never known Julien Savoie, but she
So, I Read This Book Today
Oct 04, 2016 So, I Read This Book Today rated it really liked it
“The bones said death was comin’,
and the bones never lied.” – Susannah Sandlin

“Morning, ma’am. I’m looking for Tommy Mason. Is he around?” Polite and professional, that was Senior Agent Broussard.
“Lord, what’s that no-good sonofabitch done now? Wait, you ain’t a cop; you’re a game warden. “What’d he do, run over a fish?” ― Susannah Sandlin, Wild Man’s Curse

The songs, the songs, of Bayou Country. Gator’s roar and painter’s scream. Moans of the wind through the cypress trees, the sibilant slide of
Miki
Disclaimer: I received a ARC of this book in exchange for my honest opinion on it!No compensation was received

I really wanted to share with you an early review of this book because i really think that you should preorder/ buy it if you are a romance suspense book lover or simply if you love a good book but let me tell you a little more about this book now

I'm honoured to have gotten the opportunity to read an advance copy and i really don't regret it, it's FABULOUS!!

This story once it has caught
Luli
Apr 16, 2016 Luli rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Luli by: Jill
No tengo palabras para decir lo mucho que me ha gustado esta historia. Ha sido casi perfecta, y aquí el casi es lo que la hace especial.
Celestine (Ceelie) ha llegado a un callejón sin salida en su vida. Con sus sueños a punto de hacerse trizas y sin dinero ni un sitio donde caerse muerta, llega el momento de replantearse el futuro, por muy desolador que éste sea. Y para colmo de males y en sus horas más bajas, recibe una llamada de teléfono que le informa de que su único pariente con vida (su tí
Sue
Apr 05, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it
Susannah Sandlin sets the pace and the plot of Wild Man's Curse with a prologue hinting at mystery, danger, curses and death in Whiskey Bayou. She pulled me right in and I kept reading!

With great descriptions the setting was vivid, and I could feel the heat and humidity, and see the swamp. This was a great draw for me, I was able to easily feel like I was right there!

Ceelie ends up back in Whiskey Bayous for all the wrong reasons...her career in Nashville is going no where, and her aunt has died
Steph
Apr 01, 2016 Steph rated it really liked it
Wild Man’s Curse is the first book in what promises being a thrilling paranormal series (Wilds of the Bayou). I must confess I am not particularly fond of mystery novels but Susannah Sandlin sure knows how to grab your attention from the very first paragraph. In the prologue, she talks about a curse that runs into the Savoie bloodline for generations, the death surrounding the cursed family, a mysterious box that was dug from the Bayou that pushes you toward sin, and so much more. What sane pers ...more
Trish R.
Apr 08, 2016 Trish R. rated it liked it
A 2 1/2 star read..

I’ve read 7 of Ms. Sandlin’s books, all of them except Chenoire, because it only had 48 pages and that’s not worth my time. I gave them all 5 stars, except Storm Force, which I gave 4 stars. I loved all her books, but this one was very slow. At 31% I was wondering if anything was ever going to happen to get me a little excited, or breathless, or give me an OMG moment. AND it went on and on and on without anyone saying a word then a slight conversation and then another long tel
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
From The Book Junkie Reads . . . Wild Man Curse (Wilds of the Bayou, #1) . . .
Murder. Mystery. Suspense. Oh, yeah. . . a little romance on the side. Voodoo, Louisiana, a priestess, a curse, bloody bodies, death threats, secrets, passion and damn no real jurisdiction in any of this action.

Whiskey Bayou, LA has a little something brewing in its pots. Gentry has something brewing in his brain. He thinks he sees what he knows that he could not have seen but want proof that he had see what he seen.
Marlene
Apr 15, 2016 Marlene rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

If you are looking for romantic suspense that is just a touch creepy but is still firmly planted in the real world, run, don’t walk to get a copy of this book. I’ll confess to loving all of Susannah Sandlin/Suzanne Johnson’s work, but Wild Man’s Curse was simply marvelous.

She always does an excellent job of painting the setting of her stories, and this one is no exception. Wild Man’s Curse mostly takes place in Terrebonne Parish, on the swampy southern coas
Stephanie
Apr 04, 2016 Stephanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
WILD MAN’S CURSE by Susannah Sandlin: What You Don’t Know,… http://fangswandsandfairydust.com/201...

Susannah will be my guest on Wednesday, April 6 where she discusses choosing the narrator for this book, and she is offering a giveaway! So come by Wednesday through Sunday to enter!

Audiobook provided by author for review. No remuneration was exchanged and all opinions presented herein are my own except as noted.

I really enjoy the natural feeling of Susannah’s writing, both as Susannah and her alt
Bambi Unbridled
Susannah Sandlin is a master at world building. I can't think of another author that draws me into the setting of the story quite like she does. I was flying at 30,000 feet while reading but swore I could feel the swamp humidity and hear the mosquitos buzzing. I love that she weaves local culture and legends into her tales as well. This story set down in the swamps of Southern Louisiana combines Creole and Native American culture, and a little of the voodoo religion as well.

Gentry Broussard is a
Cindy ~ SnS Reviews
The location in this book is Houma is the only parish of Terrebonne Parish, Louisiana which is steeped in Cajun tradition and culture, a mixture of Native American, Acadian and African traditions. I have always been fascinated by the history and the current culture of Louisiana but on the flip side those cultures scare the bejeezus out of me but they do make for fascinating reading.

Wild Man's Curse kicks off a new series set in and around Houma and is rich with the voodoo culture but not enough
Patti
Apr 06, 2016 Patti rated it it was amazing
Susannah Sandlin has created an engaging tale of mystery, murder, voodoo and burgeoning love set in the wilds of the Louisiana bayou. Written with an attention to detail that makes you feel as though the beauty and danger of the swamp surrounds you, Wild Man's Curse follows the interaction of Louisiana Division of Wildlife agent Gentry Broussard and Celestine Savoie, an aspiring singer who leaves a foundering career in Nashville to settle the estate of her great aunt, who was found brutally murd ...more
Carien
Apr 18, 2016 Carien rated it it was amazing
I love the Penton books by Sandlin and all her other books as well, so I had to get my trotters on this book.

And it is so good!

Sandlin has a very engaging writing style that draws you in from the start. I love how she sets the mood for this story in her descriptions, and I could almost feel the swampy heat. Whiskey Bayou sounds like a beautiful, but harsh place to live.

Both Gentry and Ceelie are easy to like and root for. I also fell in love with Jena and Paul, two of the other characters. I'm r
Barbara
Apr 18, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing
Great romantic suspense tale set in rural Louisiana, with Celestine Savoie - a lovely young singer/songwriter and Gentry Broussard - a handsome and hunky wildlife agent and their involvement in the search for a junky murderer who also might be Gentry's brother. There was quite a bit of brutality on the part of the perpetrator, but the courage and perseverance shown by Ceelie and Gentry made the story one I couldn't put down until I got to the end. I enjoyed learning more of the history of the Ca ...more
Becky Burciaga
Apr 16, 2016 Becky Burciaga rated it really liked it
A dark and suspenseful, Cajun country romance, thriller, with a dash of mystery, superbly written, that keeps you on the edge until the very end. Ms Sandlin has a way of writing that pulls you into the story and the minds of the characters, both good and evil. Her characters are multi-dimensional, with layers that are peeled away as the story unfolds.

It's hard not to fall hard for Gentry, the overly protective, alpha male Wildlife and Fisheries Officer, and cheer for Ceelie and her deep sense o
Karin
Apr 02, 2016 Karin rated it really liked it
Wilds of the Bayou Book One

On patrol one night, Gentry Broussard believes he's seen a ghost, literally. He had shot his brother years ago in a drug bust and everyone thought Lang was dead. When Gentry sees Lang leaving the house of Eva Savoie just after her vicious murder, he thinks he must be mistaken. When he visits Tommy, Lang's best boyhood friend, he knows his sighting was truly Lang. Meanwhile, Eva's niece must come home to the bayou to claim her aunt's belongings. She isn't sure if she wi
Portia
Dec 08, 2016 Portia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my introduction to Susannah Sandlin. And, damn, if she hasn't risen to the top of my favorite romantic suspense authors.

The cover is what first caught my attention. Celestine is smart and beautiful and Gentry and I fell in love with her.The suspense element is intense. I held my breath for half the book. Always waiting for the next boogie man to pop up.

The romance is more sexual tension than actual nookie, but it was deliciously done.

The narration was excellent. I love a Cajun accent.

Hig
Dawn Cavenee
Mar 08, 2016 Dawn Cavenee rated it really liked it
Smooth read
The author definitely did her homework because this book was not just thrown together. The environment is picturesque and convincing. The characters are realistic, endearing, smart and believable. The story is engaging and entertaining; romance mixed with mystery; loyalty mingling with duty. I did not want to put this down once I started. After reading this, I now want to visit Louisiana!!
Celeste
May 01, 2016 Celeste rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! I read it all in one day, because it was so fun and suspenseful that I just couldn't walk away from it (and really, it's not an overly long book). The settings and characters were so well described that I could picture them in my head. And there's a wee piece of the story that is a little open-ended when it's over... which makes me very excited for the sequel!
Maureen
Apr 22, 2016 Maureen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book

It's a great book, full of mystery, romance and a great deal of interesting info of living in the bayou. And voodoo. Gotta love the voodoo! Can't wait to read more of this series.
Angel Hart
Jan 15, 2017 Angel Hart rated it it was amazing
Ceelie left her bayou roots behind her because she promised. However, a curse brought her back and threw her into a nightmare when she craved peace of mind and heart. As I read, I felt a kinship to her. She is a dreamer with the voice of a sultry fallen angel looking to find her piece of Heaven on earth. She comes home to find blood stained floorboards in a ramshackle cabin deep in bayou country as well as vague but fond memories of her Aunt Evie.

In comes Agent Gentry to the rescue, when she st
Christal
Susannah Sandlin (aka Suzanne Johnson) writes several different series, but it's her Sentinels of New Orleans that has long been my favorite.  Well, the cast of Wild Man's Curse could be giving DJ and co. a run for their money!  I'm not a very prolific romantic suspense reader, but the combination of the colorful setting and the fun characters and the very personal mystery plot made this a winner for me.

Celestine "Ceelie" Savoie is trying to make a name for herself in Nashville when she's contac
S. R. Lewis
Oct 11, 2016 S. R. Lewis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!

This was a totally enjoyable book. It has great characters and a great story with the right amount of cultural references, mystery, action, and romance. I loved it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Deathwish (Broslin Creek, #6)
  • The Echoed Life of Jorja Graham (Jorja Graham #2)
  • Deception Island
  • Bullet Proof (MacKenzie World #2; B-Squad #0.5)
  • Redemption (Beartooth, Montana, #2)
  • Unwilling (Unwilling #1)
  • Nightbloom (Nightwing, #3)
  • Zombie Halloween (Goosebumps Most Wanted Special Edition, #1)
  • Lie to Me
  • Secret Obsession (Red Stone Security, #12)
  • Fight For Me (The Tate Chronicles, #2)
  • The Talon of the Hawk (The Twelve Kingdoms, #3)
  • Burning Desire: Part 1
  • Hunger Awakened (Vampire Hunger #2)
  • Fringe Runner (Fringe #1)
  • A Gift for Guile (The Thief Takers, #2)
  • Fruzzle's Mystery Talent: A Bed Time Fantasy Story for Children ages 3-10
  • Up Close
Pseudonym of Suzanne Johnson

Suzanne Johnson writing as Susannah Sandlin is the author of romantic suspense and paranormal romance, often set in the Deep South, where there are always things that go bump in the night! She is the author of the Penton Legacy series (REDEMPTION, ABSOLUTION, OMEGA, ALLEGIANCE and STORM FORCE (spinoff), The Collectors series (LOVELY, DARK, AND DEEP and DEADLY, CALM, AN
More about Susannah Sandlin...

Wilds of the Bayou (2 books)
  • Black Diamond (Wilds of the Bayou, #2)

“The bones said death was comin', and the bones never lied.
She had never known Julien Savoie, but she knew of him. The curse that had stalked her family for three generations had started with her grandfather and what he'd done all those years ago.
What he'd brought with him to Whiskey Bayou with blood on his hands.
What had driven her daddy to shoot her mama, and then himself, before either turned forty-five.
What had led Eva's brother, Antoine, to drown in the bayou only a half mile from this cabin, leaving a wife and infant son behind.
What stalked Eva now.”
2 likes
“Morning, ma'am. I'm looking for Tommy Mason. Is he around?" Polite and professional, that was Senior Agent Broussard.
"Lord, what's that no-good sonofabitch done now? Wait, you ain't a cop; you're a game warden. "What'd he do, run over a fish?”
1 likes