Start by marking “The Shark (The Forgotten Files, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shark (The Forgotten Files, #1)

The Shark

(The Forgotten Files #1)

At the grisly murder scene of a teen prostitute, Virginia state trooper Riley Tatum’s past roars back to haunt her. When she was a teenage runaway, she was kidnapped, drugged, and left unconscious on the streets. She has no memories of what happened, only strange recurring dreams of two men playing cards.

Former FBI agent Clay Bowman, Riley’s old flame, is Shield Security’s
Published May 24th 2016 by Montlake Romance

Start your review of The Shark (The Forgotten Files, #1)
Mary Beth
Mar 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

This was a new author for me and I have to say this book rocked! This is a dark disturbing thriller that has some fantastic twists that I didn't see coming. It was a race to the end because the suspense drew me in. The characters were done very well. It kept me turning the pages till the very end.

An engaging suspense where past and present collide. Over twelve years ago young women who lived on the streets were being killed in New Orleans and now the killings have started again in Virg
Julie
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
“The Shark” by Mary Burton

I believe romantic suspense lovers are going to be thrilled with Mary Burton’s new series, The Forgotten Files.
The first installment, “The Shark,” is centered around Riley Tatum, a Virginia State Trooper, who has worked exceedingly hard to get her life back on track after running away from home as a teenager and getting herself into a nightmarish situation she was lucky to have survived.
She now specializes in ‘tracking,’ with her faithful dog, Cooper, and is adopting a
Tulay
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Very disappointed.

Got this free with audio. Narration is very bad, goes to high volume to whisper.
Trained police dog Cooper is kept in a cage at home, why?
Nazanin
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, crime, thriller, suspense
3.75 "Life-and-Death Game" Stars

Twelve years ago, Riley Tatum disappeared from the street. When some one offered her a bottled water, she’d taken it. that was the last thing she remembered. She lost seven days of her life. But then she found five playing cards in her back pocket. Now after these years, she’s become a police officer and she has a case like that but with one difference: the girls are dead and one the back of cards was written loser!

Clay Bowman had first met Riley five years ago. I
Sabrina
3.5 Stars

For twelve years Riley Tatum has eluded the grasps of a serial killer, and she hasn't even known it. But now the killer is back, this time with plans to never let Riley go again. With the help of ex-FBI Agent, and former lover, Clay Bowman, Riley starts a dangerous cat and mouse game with a killer hellbent on getting to her.

The Shark was an intriguing tale of how the past can follow you to the present. I loved getting to know Riley and learning how she survived a hard life and always m
Lisa
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Wow I just finished The Shark last night by Mary Burton & I must say I have found a new author & series I just loved every minute the pacing was good & the characters were well written especially Riley Tatum & Clay Bowman just loved how well they jelled together as a couple.

This was a dark gritty thriller that kept me wanting to know more about Riley Tatum she had balls & was so believable I was rooting for her the whole way through, also liked how Miss Burton combined trooper Tatum's job & her
Alex ♈
Solid suspense, amazing heroine, well-written.

Absolutely loved the heroine. One of the best!

"Real men don’t bruise the women they love."

The romantic part wasn’t very prominent, crime mystery was the main storyline.
Ok hero, no epilogue.

4 and not 5 because of 1 twist, which disappointed me a lot. I didn’t want certain character to be a bad guy :-((((((

Carrie
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Riley Tatum past is coming back to haunt her, as a teenager she was a runaway and found herself waking up on a bus not having any memory of what had happened to her the week before after being drugged. Other than playing cards in her pocket and a few strange dreams Riley had no clue of what had happened to her during the missing time.

After the incident Riley found a bit of help in her life and finished school and went on to become a state trooper. Now Riley finds herself investigating the murde
Jill McGill
Apr 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

This was my first Mary Burton novel and I have to say it did not disappoint! This is a dark and twisted psychological mystery/thriller with a splash of romance added to the mix. The Shark is very intense and a complete page-turner, I couldn't stop until I got to the end. I'm so glad I picked this book up - highly recommend!
Bridgett
Aug 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kindle-unlimited
I had high hopes, as I've never read this author before. Unfortunately, I was left feeling a bit ambivalent.

My complaints:

1. There are so many inconsistencies in this story-telling. And they're BIG inconsistencies too, like character's eye colors changing from chapter to chapter. But not just any characters...the ones described as all looking alike with dark hair and eyes. That's a problem.

2. The romance was ridiculous and unnecessary. A guy in a power position makes eyes with his student,
Linda Strong
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2017
State Trooper Riley Tatum has a past that very few people, if any, know about. When she was a teenager, she lived on the street. She's missing several days and the only thing she vaguely remembers is that there were men playing cards. She was left unconscious on the street with only 5 cards in her pocket .. a royal flush.

Today she is first on the scene of the discovery of a teen prostitute and it's bringing back those memories. Found on this young girl are five cards ...with L O S E R written on
Kris - My Novelesque Life
RATING: 4 STARS
2016; Montlake Romance

Nothing can put a damper on Virginia state trooper, Riley Tatum adopting her seventeen year old foster daughter until she gets a call to a murder scene. The grisly murder of a prostitute brings back memories of Riley's past - a part of her past that she cannot remember so well. She is brought on to the team of investigators including former FBI agent, Clay Bowman. Bowman is now retired and working at Shield's (Shield is also former FBI), a security company.
Mackenzie
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Song for summary: It's Not Over by Daughtry

A breathtaking romantic suspense! The characters are driven, gritty, and haunted; while the plot follows the pursuit of a serial killer who takes his poker games to a new and deadly level. Packed with attraction, crime, murder, one loyal tracking dog, and a nightmare from the past; The Shark is a non-stop thrill ride from start to finish. Keep your playing cards close and your poker chips closer, because in this chilling novel, Lady Luck has the final s
Lee
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
I always get excited when I see a new book from Mary Burton and once again I was not disappointed. Fast paced and full of tension this really was a great read. Police Trooper Riley Tatum left home as a teenager to get away from her overly friendly step father. Alone on the streets Riley was abducted and drugged but fortunately for Riley she was able to get away, the same can't be said for several other victims. Now the killer is back and has returned to his old ways, he also has Riley in his sig ...more
Petra
Good storyline, predictable in parts but entertaining and held my attention. The romance didn't work for me. Volume issues with the audio. The male lead character was painful to listen to and the accents were all over the place. 4 stars for the book but not for the audio.
Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads)
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it

I purchased this series (three books total) on a whim during a Kindle sale a couple years ago and decided to finally read book one, The Shark.

First, I'll say that I was surprised to see this listed under the romance genre because while there is a relationship with a couple steamy scenes, the story in no way focuses on that aspect and it doesn't diminish what I think is a solid mystery/thriller.

Riley Tatum lost her mom as a teen and quickly bailed on her childhood home with her creepy st
CD {Boulder Blvd}
I like books with strong heroines and Riley Tatum is a strong heroine so it was easy to get vested in her character. She is days away from adopting Hannah, a young teen-age runaway when a traumatic event from her past comes back to haunt her. She gets teen-age runaways, because she was one. During her time on the streets 7 days of her life are blank and she doesn't remember hardly anything except having 5 poker cards in her pocket and a bus trip landing her in Virginia.

Now girls with similar pla
Terri Wino
Mar 27, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: year-2016
Rounding up to 3 stars on this one.

The Shark was an okay read to pass the time, but definitely not my favorite of Mary Burton's.

I found the basis of the plot rather flimsy, but was able to look past it for awhile. However, it was entirely too long and could have been a much shorter book. I don't think any of the characters were very well developed and, quite frankly, were a little irritating most of the time.

One thing I found very annoying was that not once, but twice, there was a huge editing
ElaineY
NOT A REVIEW

I did not listen beyond chapter 2 so this is not a review. It's a rant. If you hate someone else's rant, do yourself a favor and don't bother to read this.

The 1 star is for my aborting it so early. Not because of the plot but because of one minor (to others) but major bugbear for me: Riley attended a training class that Clay was teaching and the only interaction they had during the 5-month course was Riley asking some questions. At end of said course she goes to his motel room, they
Mei
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
A rather sloppy mystery.
There're too many things that could have been done differently and many mistakes that even I could see that could have solved the crime sooner...
Sorry... If they engaged their super-cool technology and their brain cells better it could have been a winner because the idea was good...
Hollie
I really enjoyed the writing style in this book. The plot was fast paced and it had just the right balance of suspense. An impressive and unique thriller. I'm also glad it was offered as a kindleunlimited. I look forward to checking out more of this writers work.
Books on Stereo
A sub-par thriller/romance that fails on both fronts.
Tracy T.
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it

Very interesting story, very good narration by Christina Traister (audible review)

This was an interesting story, kept me guessing until the end. I like it when that happens. I liked all the characters, especially Riley and Cooper (her dog). LOL Clay Bowman was good too. There was a little romance mixed in here which was nice. They had some good chemistry together.

The story line and plot was good. Mystery, murder, kidnapping, villains and a little romance to boot. The story flowed very well, not
Bourbon, Books, and Brenda
I really enjoyed this story and look forward to the next book. I was on the edge of my seat trying to figure out "who-dun-it". I will be honest, I had an inkling about 60% through the book what was happening, but it was purely an inkling. I liked all the characters, and I appreciated the way the story was laid out. The heroine, was tough even though she had been through a lot. I do wish she had made Clay work harder for her forgiveness though.

Clay was a good guy, and I got where he was coming f
3.5 stars.

Engagingly told, this held my attention from beginning to end. I appreciated a strong, compassionate heroine and gently told second chance romance. She wasn't bitter, she didn't beg him for another chance (go, womanly pride!), nor did she fall into bed with him right away after five years. There's no mention of what either of them were up to during their separation, but I was ok with that. The author didn't make it seem like the heroine pined away for the hero the whole time. In fact,
Aleera
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Rating: 4.5
Debbie Oxier
Mar 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
While I hated paying more for the larger size paperback, it was worth it. I really enjoyed this start to her new series. Riley Tatum was a state trooper. When she's called to the scene of a murder, it brings back memories of a past she's tried to forget. She used to be on the streets before someone rescued her and gave her another chance at life. She'd been kidnapped, drugged and left unconscious in New Orleans but woke up at a bus station in Virginia. When found by her rescuer she had five play ...more
Widala
Jun 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked the no-nonsense vibe of this book. Things were pretty straightforward, no holding back about anyone's past and no unnecessary secrets. The investigation was not too procedural but it had enough explanations.

The pace was just right for me, not too fast and not too slow. The dialogue flowed nicely. The characters were interesting, although the book was leaning more heavy on the investigation, I still get to know them enough.

But, you'll be disappointed if you read this for the romance, be
The BookChick
The Shark was my first Mary Burton book and it most definitely will not be my last. Every element of the story was perfect -- the suspense, the intrigue, and character dynamics, sprinkled with a dash of romance -- kept the story interesting and engaging. The story dealt with the baser darker urges of human nature and how they often skirt the line between right and wrong. Exhibit A was the "The Shark" the mastermind behind the games. Exhibit B was the only player who managed to best him but had s ...more
Betsy
Jun 26, 2018 rated it liked it
The Shark is the first book I have read by Mary Burton. Although very predictable, I enjoyed the story. Likable characters and flow of writing made this a nice quick read. Solid start to the series. I will read more by this author. 3.5 stars

• See Her Die (Bree Taggert, #2)
  • Cross Her Heart (Bree Taggert, #1)
  • Save Your Breath (Morgan Dane #6)
  • Forgotten Secrets (Singing River Legacy, #1)
  • Bred in the Bone (Widow's Island #4)
  • The Last Sister (Columbia River #1)
  • Forgotten Legacy (Singing River Legacy #2)
  • Whisper of Bones (Widow's Island #3)
  • Secrets Never Die (Morgan Dane, #5)
  • The Silence (Columbia River #2, Callahan & McLane, #5)
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Autumn's Game (Autumn Trent #1)
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • She Can Scream (She Can #3)
  • A Bone to Pick (Widow's Island #2)
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)

Mary Burton, whose latest novel is Hide and Seek, loves writing suspense, getting to know her characters, keeping up with law enforcement and forensic procedure, morning walks, baking, and tiny dachshunds. She also enjoys hunting down serial killers, which she does in her New York Times and USA Today bestselling novels. Library Journal has compared her work to that of Lisa Jackson and Lisa Gardner

The Forgotten Files (3 books)
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)

News & Interviews

“poring” 4 likes
“Don’t skip school,” Sharp cautioned. “The monsters love the girls that color outside the lines.” 2 likes