Start by marking “Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)” as Want to Read:
Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)

Jilo (Witching Savannah #4)

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  1,913 Ratings  ·  137 Reviews
Aged Mother Jilo is wise in the ways of magic…but once upon a time, she was just a girl.

1950s Georgia: King Cotton has fallen. Savannah is known as the “beautiful woman with a dirty face,” its stately elegance faded by neglect, its soul withering from racial injustice and political corruption.

Young Jilo—fiercely independent, intelligent, and ambitious, but thwarted by Sava
Published April 26th 2016 by 47North

To ask other readers questions about Jilo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jilo

Kim
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I won this book from a Goodreads book giveaway. Thank you Goodreads and 47 North publishing company for the kindle book. The book was ok. I just wish there was more magic in. When I read a book about witches, I like magic to be a lot of magic in the book. I was bored in some parts because he droned on and on about her being in love with a guy who was a jerk and ignoring her feelings for a really good guy and hurting his feelings.
Jess the Audiobookworm
Apr 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
5 ★ Audiobook⎮ In my mind, J.D. Horn saw how unhappy the ending of The Void made a lot of his fans, so he decided to bless us with Jilo to make up for it. That probably wasn't the case, but if it was, I only have one thing to say: Apology accepted. This story was not only historically, but also extremely culturally enriching. Jilo ended up being my favorite character from the first three installments of this series. Being able to see her life in a full and proper installment only expanded my lov ...more
Barbara (The Bibliophage)
This fourth book in the Witching Savannah series gives us some back story on Wills and Taylor families, as well as the ongoing struggle of darkness and light. Here Jilo is strong, resilient, and less contradictory than in the first three books. I appreciated the regional, racial, and historic elements of the story, although I was anticipating a heavier dose of magic.

For me the book dragged a bit, which wasn't my experience with the first three books at all.
Felicia Wood
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I didn't know what to expect when I made the purchase, just knew that I enjoyed the other books in the series, and had always been thoroughly intrigued by the character Jilo.

At the start, I thought we were getting a brief history on the woman, and a glimpse into her upbringing, but I realized quickly that the 'history' Was the story. That the telling of the story was the art. This book couldn't have come at a better time; in the series, or in my reality as a woman of color in today's America.

T
Jennuineglass
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fun satisfying read in the series. This one is a departure in that we go back to the beginning, as it were, and learn the life of the other half of the characters. Sure we are finally with Ginny and Jude and the whole Taylor clan....but now we go back to Jilo and her mother and her mother's mother and learn her history. This story is lovingly fleshed out and I can't decide if Mr. Horn's skills are growing...or if its just that I am already immersed in this world and so can see it popping ...more
Normalene
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it
I so wanted to love this one because the first three were awesome but it was merely okay. This one was written starting with the death of Jilo's great grandmother and tracks the lives of her grandmother, mother and only gets to her at the end. It moves slowly with much exposition and little plot. I can hope maybe there will be a sequel that takes it closer to the time of the other three books.

This one had so little magic and what there was more acted upon the characters than had the characters
Ash
May 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jilo was less confusing and less cluttered compared to the previous three books in the Witching Savannah novels, but it still meandered. With that being said, I did enjoy the chronological telling of the Wells family, even if it did provide more information than was probably needed. Towards the end, things still got a little confusing and went on for a little too long, but overall this was still a fun book. I loved the fact that it circled around a Black family full of Black women. Even though t ...more
Fangs for the Fantasy
May 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
I’ve liked Jilo as a major character in the Witching Savannah Series as a powerful and clearly complex figure. She has awesome potential and we have a lot of allusions to a long and complex history. The problem is that this series is not about her, it was all about Mercy. Jilo’s relationship with Mercy has been very complex but, on the whole, it has been one of mentor and student. Or an almost maternal relationship. There are times when Jilo even refers to herself as Mercy’s mother figure

Of cour
Ami
This was so well done. I much enjoyed getting to know Jilo and what started her down her path. But where's the last third of the book? Events are alluded to, but not always fully explained in the rest of the series and I had looked forward to Jilo and Ginny in their later years leading up to the events of The Line.
Pat
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful continuation of the Witching Savannah series, this book focuses on the intriguing character of Jilo, or Mother Jilo as she is later known. It explores more closely the relationship between the Taylors and Jilo, and how she became the force she is.
From infancy to adulthood, we follow Jilo and learn to admire her even more than we already do.
This book takes place during the beginning of the Civil Rights fight, and examines how everyday life and decisions were driven by your position an
Duck
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Old Savanah

I love the rich and deep narratives. I’ve read the entire Witching Savanah series so was familiar with Jilo, but reading this proved how little we all knew or understood Jilo and her ways.
Eliza Sanders
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
I liked this book the best out of all the books in the series. The story here does not feel forced or rushed but flows beautifully. Kilo was beloved by me in the other books but this masterful backstory only makes her even more commendable. Plus in the audio version- this narrator is a thousand times less annoying.
Sabrina
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audiobooks
I was anxious to get to this book because 1. I liked the other 3 and 2. I loved Jilo from the very beginning. I wasn't sure why I liked her as she was clearly supposed to be a bad person from the beginning but I just did. I really enjoyed this book but, honestly, I wanted more. I wasn't ready for the story to end where it ended. Def recommend!
Marjorie
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The fourth, and final installment, of the Witching Savannah series is a departure from the first three. I should have figured that out from the title really as it is a bit of a giveaway but I didn't. To be perfectly honest this book could quite easily be read at any point in the series - although first or last makes the most chronological sense. There is little about the Taylors until the very end of the book but not enough there to spoil any of the other 3 books or give any real indication to t ...more
Denise
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I won this on a Goodreads giveaway.

This was the first book that I've read in the series. From what I've read in other reviews, this is more of a prequel to the other books in the series. It's not quite what I expected. I thought there would be more magic. There is magic, but most is in the background. That's OK, I still like the story.

Jilo was written as an intelligent, enlightened, and strong for being a black woman born in the 1930's. There is one thing that really bothered me. (view spoiler)
John
Although Jilo is the 4th book in the Witching Savannah series, it is actually the prequel to the first three.The Taylors, a family of Savannah witches with a large home on Forsythe Park, is the focus of the first three books. Jilo is a character in these books, too, but she is an elderly black witch descended from a long line of females practicing hoodoo magic. There is animosity between Jilo and the Taylors but we don't know the origins until this book. This novel begins with Jilo as a young ch ...more
K.F.
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a pleasure

I first started reading the LIne books ages ago and never finished, but my goal of the series was always reading this book. Honestly, I should have started with it. The world building, the intersectionality, the realness of the characters in a genre of super southern-gothic inspired urban fantasy was ridiculously satisfying. I have some mad respect for JD Horne and the sheer amount of research he must have done because this book is so spot on that sometimes I had to pause and tak
Tiffany
Good Introduction to the Witches of Savannah

I liked this story. I liked the knowledge of how Mama Jilo came to be. I liked learning how how all the witches were connected. I thought it was a good "after" prequel, since it came after the other books.

I would reread the book and I did like the many variety of characters. There were a few relationships I couldn't understand, so had a hard time giving it 5 stars because of that. I know it is life and that there are people that have those types of re
Deb
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Jilo!! For me it pulled together all The Line books and confusion over Jilo and The Taylor family. And made me want to reread the series again

This book spans three generations of Mothers and is a prequel to the Line series and in many ways outshines The Line series in its scope. I recommend this book as a must to anyone who found Jil o an intriguing character in the Line series, anyone who loves supernatural stories and anyone who would like to read a tamed down version of Anne Rice.

I k
Pamela Love
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great!!

At first I was a bit disappointed in how the book was flowing, but realized it needed to give more of a back story of Mother Jilo without jumping into her story without k bowing more. It was as well written as all of Mr. Horn's previous Witching Savannah books. It heed tie together the loose threads from the previous 3 books. I truly enjoyed it and look forward to more of his work in the future.
Julie Shankle
Good. But not so much what I'd call part of the Witching Savannah novels

This flashback book in the series offers great insights to Mother Jilo and even Ginny and the earlier generations of the Savannah witching community of these books. It opens a bit of a gaping hole though by the Beekeeper never showing up in the previous novels and that bugged me a bit too much (no pun intended).
D.L. Kelly
Nov 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tying up loose ends

I enjoyed this book, the fourth in the series of the Taylor witches. Jilo was a prominent character in the previous books, and this one explains where & how she got her power, and her ties with the Taylor family. Well written books, great descriptions and solid characters made this series educational as well as entertaining, and I plan to read other books by Mr. Horn.
Mary
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I have read all 4 of the books in this series (Witching Savannah) and loved them all, J.D.Horn is an awesome author! Mercy Taylor and Jilo are powerful and memorable characters and the story that is told, is breath taking and adventurous! The last book Jilo could be a series in itself if the writer wanted to expand. These are must read books!
Dione Brown
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Suprised

This was a REALLY great book. However, I felt like there was a big build up & then it was like nothing or rather too many open ends. I am guessing we may hear more from Jilo & the rest of her family. There was only a blink of The Taylors. This series could produce many more books. (I hope it does)
Mitchell
An Endeavour Read. And not my usual kind of thing. It was interesting to read something set in Georgia - though I certainly am more familiar with Atlanta than Savannah. Witches. Rural black life. Yeah, whatever. Stuff just kept happening to this family, not sure I cared much. And the magic was just too arbitrary. Readable but just okay.
Donna Allen
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book.

I enjoyed this book, but wish I had before the others on the Witching Savannah books. As people were born into the story, I wanted to be better able to connect the dots between timelines.
Linda Williams Leal
Captivating

When first got this book was not sure I would like to. But have not been able to put down its the first in the series i read and it is #4. Wish had read in order but this one relived parts of previous.
Greg Garguilo
Not as strong as the first three.

Covered a lot of ground, sure, and provided the necessary backstory to support the three books already written, but I just wasn't invested in this one. It didn't grab me.
Stacy
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal, mystery
Excellent read...was definitely different take on witch stories in general. I really enjoyed it. Time of era was different and it was nice to read a story of AA which was not the usual drug, murder, pimp etc. type of story. I thought it was a really great read.
Nicki
May 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such a good read! Can't wait for more!

It's nice to get the backstory on these characters & the understanding that comes with them. I loved this book and I truly cannot wait for the next one. Such an exciting read!
  • The Ghost of Africa
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Everyone Pays
  • His Darling Bride (Echoes of the Heart, #2)
  • Broken Angels
  • Burying the Honeysuckle Girls
  • Covenant (The Books of Raziel, #2)
  • Something More Than This
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Heroes of the Dustbin (Janitors, #5)
  • The Dragonlord's Heir (The Ascalon Trilogy, #1)
  • Alcatraz (Alcatraz, #1-4)
  • The Witchy Worries of Abbie Adams
  • Sound Bender (Sound Bender #1)
  • Blades of Accession (Dusk Gate Chronicles #7)
  • From the Ashes (Force of Nature #1)
  • Jericho (Lauren Reardon #2)
  • Infinity Reborn (The Infinity Trilogy #3)
J. D. Horn is the author of the standalone dark fantasy Shivaree and the bestselling Witching Savannah series (The Line, The Source, The Void, and Jilo). The Witching Savannah series has been/is being translated into Russian, Polish, German, Spanish, Italian, French, and Romanian. He and his spouse, Rich, and their rescue Chihuahua Kirby, split their time between San Francisco and Palm Springs.
More about J.D. Horn

Witching Savannah (4 books)
  • The Line (Witching Savannah, #1)
  • The Source (Witching Savannah, #2)
  • The Void (Witching Savannah, #3)
“the heart speaks the truth even when blood itself lies.” 0 likes
“You want to love him. But I don’t know why. What has he ever done for you, really?” 0 likes