Start by marking “The Winter Spirit” as Want to Read:
The Winter Spirit

The Winter Spirit

Nathaniel O’Donnelly likes his life quiet, his guests happy, and his ghosts well-behaved.

Although a boyfriend wouldn’t go amiss. Someone to share his beautiful B&B with, even if it is in the middle of nowhere and he’s long past the wrong side of thirty. Problem is, Nathaniel’s living with a ghost who thinks he’s cupid, and whose arrows fly a little too straight.

Gabri
Published November 16th 2015 by Indra Ink

To ask other readers questions about The Winter Spirit, please sign up.
A On Amazon it says the story is 93 pages, but here it says 125 pages. Don't know which is true.

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Heartwarming and SWEET, The Winter Spirit is as much about forgiveness as it is about love: forgiving others, yes, but most of all, forgiving yourself.

Nathaniel's B & B is haunted, but he's quite fond of Gabriel, the friendly ghost in the prim suit. Sometimes Nate doesn't see Gabriel for weeks or months, but even with the tricks Gabe plays, Nate looks forward to seeing him in reflective surfaces, teasing him, and being teased back.

When Nathaniel's first crush seeks him out, it's a dream com
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Grab this Kindle freebie today, 11/13/18!
Len Evans Jr
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, christmas
Incredibly sweet and adorable love story. TotallY loved the two main characters... as well as the unexpected twist the author threw into the plot. Sometimes what or who we think we want is not who we really need. A truly enjoyable and fun read!
R * A Reader Obsessed *
Nathaniel is such an endearingly good guy who is like anyone else - desiring a special someone to share his life with.

Gabriel the ghost, is serving a penance, never thinking he'd get a bit of happiness as he tries to fulfill his mission.

Another sweet story that is pure indulgent whimsy, where the spirit of Christmas wonderfully makes the impossible come true.
Tina
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

4,5 stars.

I’m a fan of Indra’s writing since her first novel ‘The House on Hancock Hill’, so I was completely sure I would love this one as well.

The Winter Spirit is a wonderful romance, a story so sad, so sweet and so romantic. Nate, an owner of a B&B somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Michigan, is living a lonely life, he wants nothing more than someone to share his life with him.

He even enjoys the jokes of Gabriel, the house ghost. For 100 years Gabriel is haunting the house in which N
☆ Todd
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: mine

I really liked both Nate and Gabriel, but it felt like the author sort of took the easy way out with Owen by (view spoiler), which left me kind of disappointed.

I would've loved more information into whether or not Gabriel's past actions had actually led to his 100 year "sentence" of being a ghost and the whole matchmaking clause.

So while very sweet and cute, this one didn't really blow my skirt up and I'd rate it at around 3.5 stars.
Catherine
*** 4.5 Stars ***

I'm genuinely bummed to see that many of my GR friends have given this one such low ratings. I agree with the consensus - the story left some significant ghostly questions unanswered and I wish less time had been spent on Nate and Owen's relationship - but this story still made me feel all the feelz. Like, big, sad ones and warm, glowy ones.

I've had this author on my radar for a while, but this is the first time I've read her work. Consider the test passed with flying colours;
Jewel
I really enjoyed this Christmas ghost story. It was a heartwarming and overall lovely treat. I would have liked some steam, though. Even still, I loved the story. The Winter Spirit is about letting go of the past so that you can embrace the future with the one you love.
Ami
Lori
It's only November and I'm craving Christmas stories. Second one in a row that was made of win!!

This review is sort of spoilerish...

(view spoiler)
Meags
4 Stars

What a lovely (ghostly) Christmas story. I liked these characters a lot. Nathaniel and Gabriel were two very sweet, lonely men. The sadness that Gabriel seemed to exude resonated with me, and I found Nate perfect in his perceived imperfections.

This is another classic case of a short novella which I wish was longer and more developed. I can't help my greediness - when I find a story this enjoyable I can't help but want more.

This was my very first Indra Vaughn experience, but I can happil
Leta Blake
Oct 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely LOVED this book! It's heartwarming, romantic, and full of the holiday spirit. I strongly recommend it for Christmastime, especially, but it's a good read for anytime of the year. I stayed up late beta reading because I had to see how these adorable characters get their Christmas miracle. <3 <3 <3 HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!
Ula'ndi Hart
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE WHO LOVES SWEET AND CHRISTMASSY ;-)
Overall book rating: 4.5
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 3.8

Christmas/Holiday romance + Sweet + Magical and Fluffy = ME THROWING ALL CAUSTION TO THE WIND!

I can’t help it! I get all giddy and silly about a good little Christmas Holiday romance. And for some reason adding a ghost to that mix just makes me smile even wider!

I jumped into this with glee.

Maybe I’m just in the right mood but I absolutely ADORED this little gem. I don’t even care that it’s a short-read. I don’t care that because of that I
Elsbeth

(6th X-mas read 2015 with Paul)

*4,5 stars*

Perfect Christmas Fairy Tale...

description

In the end, who was ever completely safe in the knowledge nothing would ever happen to their loved ones?
All I could hope for was that we'd paid our dues for a while, and we could live off this happiness for a long time.

Elena

While the general idea of this story wasn’t bad, the execution suffered from some of the author’s choices. On one hand, there was too much focus on Nate’s old friend/possible love interest/villain, Owen, without any of it adding much to the story. On the other hand, it didn’t seem realistic that Nathan suddenly became interested in Gabriel’s history after 12 years of cohabiting and the details of Gabriel’s situation as a ghost, especially the resolution, were oddly glossed over.
Jenny - TotallybookedBlog
Dec 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing

Reviewed as part of a Christmas post at Totallybooked

5 Spirit of Christmas Stars

“I caught sight of Gabe in the mirror, staring at me with a scowl on his face….”

Oh be still our swoony hearts. We read this beautiful, sweet and mystical Christmas story in one sitting. We were swept away in the exquisiteness of it all - falling crazy in love with a man, a ghost and their respective stories. We loved Nathaniel; we wanted to hug him and keep him safe and happy. What we wouldn’t give to go visit a
M'rella
I absolutely love the story, love the fairy-tale setting of "I love you" conquers death and evil evil relatives. Love the snowed-in isolated dwellings, love googly-eyed couples. Love characters damaged and hurt by former lovers/spouses.

The problem for me here is the length of the book. Not enough Owen. Not enough of the lovey-dovey couple (there were adorbs!), not enough Nate's history, not enough Nate/Gabriel interaction prior to the events. I hope some day the author will expand and build upon
Susan

Nice holiday short, even though it wasn't super special.

description

I really like those stories where one of the characters is not sporting a six pack and is a bit socially awkward. Nathaniel was a bit insecure about how he looked and I liked that.

This was a lovely Christmas story.
Ann
Tragically romantic and romantically tragic. I loved every bit of this story.

Unicorn group review - wheeeeeee!

What a great start to the Merry Christmas Jizzfest for 2015. I hated that I started this late on Sunday night, because this is one I would normally devour in one sitting. No fault of the story, it was all me and my stupid need to be coherent at work on Monday morning. Stupid work is stupid.

The story begins with a mellow and rather quiet pace and I liked having the chance to get to know a
Breann
4.5

Nathaniel's B&B was haunted and he really couldn't have had a cuter ghost.

What I loved most about this paranormal ghost story is that we come into at after the haunting has been established. Nathaniel knew of Gabriel and his antics all too well.

Gabriel couldn't have been any more likable. Right from the start, he was my guy. Nathaniel can have some of him, but he's mostly mine. His ghostly shenanigans were due to his curse. He was given a time frame and he was to be 'match-maker' and make
Juxian
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: didn-t-like
1,5 stars.
Oh my God, everyone loved this story. And I can't even say if it was objectively good, because there were so many small things that annoyed me that I couldn't get into the flow at all. I didn't like good guys - Nate and Gabriel, and I certainly didn't hate the bad guy Owen as much as the author was trying to make me. Nate was so judgemental and rude I kept thinking I would never want to end up at his B&B. Also, what - after knowing Gabriel for twelve years, it's the first time he w
Tammy
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: amazing-books
Very enjoyable sweet read! Sad at times but with an outcome for Gabe well worth his wait.
R.J.
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended... a gorgeous christmas story that made me tear up in places, and laugh at others. Perfect.
~nikki the recovering book addict

Wow.. this did not turn out like how I expected it to. After sitting on my tbr list for so long, I decided to just give it a go. That it would either be okay or just boring. Boy was I wrong. It was beautiful! Heart warming and heart wrenching and so, so beautiful.

The blurb didn’t give away anything so I won’t either. I was actually a little peeved that the blurb was kinda vague. Now I understand why and I’m loving it but it also doesn’t paint the story in any compelling light. That’s p
Eugenia
Ghostly Christmas romance....

2.5 Stars.... I enjoyed this for the most part. My chief complaint is that I found it hard to believe that a man and the ghost who haunted his B&B could know so little about it each other after 12 years of interacting and talking on a daily basis. This "not knowing each other" lies at the base of this little story. It was just hard to swallow.

Forgetting that, it was sweet.
Meep
Nov 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
This really didn't work for me. The characters were ok, the writing ok, it totally lacked any Christmas cheer. In fact found the book proved largely a downer, mostly a tirade on cheating that was never given any relevance - I mean to say, I hate cheating but why that continued focus? Where was the romance?

Nate as a character didn't add up. Pudgy self-conscious has worked construction renovated the house, started up a B&B and cooks fancy dishes. It takes him TWELVE years to consider googling
Duck
4.5 stars rounded up!

I loved this! I think the author did a great job for less than 100 pages. Would I have loved it more if it was longer and more detailed? Of course. But as a Winter novella I really enjoyed this. If I had any complaint, I would have liked a little more steam. That's only my opinion; the sex here was sensual and tasteful.

If you're looking for a quick read, this one has a great HEA with a paranormal twist. I'll definitely put this on my Holiday reread list.
Bev

I liked this one, but it didn't fully explain the mystery surrounding Gabriel's appearances and disappearances, and why at the end (view spoiler). 4 stars from me.
Line
Nov 12, 2018 marked it as maybe
Freebie at amazon.com right now: https://smile.amazon.com/Winter-Spiri...
Andrea
Sep 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbt, romance, christmas
My first book by this author, but definitely not the last!

This was really heartwarming (ok. fine. I cried. There…), and just a really cozy, wonderful story. Perfect for cold nights, cuddled up on the couch.
I loved the playful ghost and how he teased the lonely B&B owner, and I was pleasantly surprised when I learned more about where they came from. Those are two really well fleshed-out characters, and I only wish you'd get to spend more time with them! I'm not really sold on the ending, th
  • Humbug
  • The Trouble With Elves
  • Gaudete
  • The Working Elf Blues
  • What Happens at Christmas
  • Magic & Mistletoe
  • Something to Believe In
  • Alaska (2013 Advent Calendar - Heartwarming)
  • Feathers From the Sky
  • Merry Gentlemen
  • Angel in a Book Shop
  • Walking on Thin Ice (Ice and Snow Christmas, #1)
  • Winter Oranges
  • Three Dates of Christmas
  • Wish Come True
  • Sixty Five Hours: The Twelve Days of Christmas (Sixty Five Hours, #1.5)
  • Glass Tidings
  • Better Not Pout
After living in Michigan, USA for seven wonderful years, Indra Vaughn returned back to her Belgian roots. There she will continue to consume herbal tea, do yoga wherever the mat fits, and devour books while single parenting a little boy and working as a nurse.

The stories of boys and their unrequited love will no doubt keep finding their way onto the page--and hopefully into readers hands--even if