Start by marking “Lemons Lemons Lemons Lemons Lemons (NHB Modern Plays)” as Want to Read:
Lemons Lemons Lemons Lemons Lemons (NHB Modern Plays)

Lemons Lemons Lemons Lemons Lemons (NHB Modern Plays)

The average person will speak 123,205,750 words in a lifetime. But what if there were a limit? Oliver and Bernadette are about to find out.

Lemons Lemons Lemons Lemons Lemons imagines a world where we’re forced to say less. It’s about what we say and how we say it; about the things we can only hear in the silence; about dead cats, activism, eye contact and lemons, lemons, l
Published November 5th 2015 by Nick Hern Books

To ask other readers questions about Lemons Lemons Lemons Lemons Lemons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lemons Lemons Lemons Lemons Lemons

Maddie
Dec 05, 2016 added it
Stumbled across this play while doing some research for Creative Writing and really, really loved it! The concept of only being allowed to speak 140 words per day was so interesting to watch unfold, like if Twitter was our only reality.
Doug
Oct 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Steiner's debut play is perfect for the Age of Twitter. Here, the government imposes a 140 word maximum that people can speak per day, and this two-hander details how this imposition affects one couple's communication style. The beginning is a bit of a jumble, as the play is presented in many very short scenes that are non-chronological, and the conceit isn't clearly delineated till the play is half over; but I think that is one of the play's strengths actually, in that the audience has to reall ...more
Harry Revell
A brilliant play about the beauty and significance of the spoken language. Very clever and delivering a variety of emotions throughout. Great stuff.
Duncan Hendry
May 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play, read-physical
A true revelation. I absolutely loved this and when it all fell into place it made me happy, mad and sad all at once. Stellar. On to more Steiner!
Rachel
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Liked the simplicity of the idea but it left a bigger impression on me. What if you only had a limited number of words to speak with per day? What is essential to say and what isn't? It really made me think of how we use language and how much of what we say is wasted...
Kat
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: plays
Bit gimmicky, but still fascinating
Alex Carlson
Nov 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brilliant concept that is executed well in the full script. The non-linear structure is particularly effective and the author does a good job not over-explaining a concept that is better kept vague.
Matt Whitby
Apr 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Not as fun as I'd hoped.
Chunyang Ding
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Fun two-person play, although it doesn't go incredibly deep on any idea. Which is reasonable for one-hundred and forty words.
Adrian
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
The Government imposes a daily 140-word limit on speech, and this play presents a relationship before, during and after, showing how they communicate with more or fewer words. The timeline is jumbled so it takes a while for the story to be clear, but I could see this being really intense on stage. Words are a valuable gift, and it becomes shocking when they're wasted - and beautiful how they characters can speak to each other without them.

[I'm mindful that there is a counter at the bottom of th
E.J. Raymond
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tell each other the numbers before make conversation. Enjoying to read it X
Victoria