Start by marking “The Mystery of the Chinese Junk (Hardy Boys, #39)” as Want to Read:
The Mystery of the Chinese Junk (Hardy Boys, #39)

The Mystery of the Chinese Junk

(The Hardy Boys #39)

The Hardys purchase a Chinese junk to use as a ferry service, in order to make some money over the summer. It soon becomes apparent that others are very interested in the ship.
Published April 1st 1975 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about The Mystery of the Chinese Junk, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mystery of the Chinese Junk

Start your review of The Mystery of the Chinese Junk (Hardy Boys, #39)
Jerry
Nov 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as good as some of the others in this series.
Will
Dec 04, 2014 added it
During summer break, the Hardy Boys, Frank and Joe buy an old Chinese boat with their friends Biff, Chet, Tony and Jim Foy. As the Chinese watercraft was for sale in New York City, the boys run into some trouble after purchasing it. The teenagers needed a summer job to bring passengers to Rocky Isle. But, a man named Clams Dagget who is already running a ferry service of his own, tries to stop them. But the Hardys are tougher than that, as they continue to run their ferry service.
The setting
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Hardy Boys return in another thrilling addition to the classic book series.
Jessaka
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
The Hardy Boys want something to do for the summer, so someone tells them about an old junk that is for sale. After buying the junk everyone wants to buy it from them. Why? Is there something hidden in it? They won't sell because it is turning out to be a good business for them as they boat people to and from an island to have picnics for the day.

Update: Even though I didn't think that this was one of the best Hardy Boy books, and so I was going to sell this vintage book, when we took a trip
Hannah Belyea
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joe, Frank and the boys, along with their new friend Jim, purchase a Chinese Junk to make money by providing customers rides around Bayport shores - only to end up dealing with smugglers looking to find something board their ship, and willing to take out anyone standing in their way! Dixon provides fans another heart-stopping, fast-paced mystery, sure to keep readers glued to their seats. Will the Hardy Boys and their pals figure out the truth behind their ship, or will they end up at the bottom ...more
Ken
Oct 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Found this book and discovered the same magic I experienced as a child
Daniel Smith
Charlie Wright
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book The Hardy Boys is such a good book for so many different reasons but it also has some flaws. The reason it is so good is because the author of the book doesn't just give you the answer to the mystery he gives clues over a period of time and never really tells the answer until the end. In the book Frank Joe and Chet, which are the main characters, want to make some money for the summer so they buy a Chinese Junk, which is a boat, to start a faerie business. It soon becomes clear that ...more
Annie Valdes
May 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
rereading my youth... LOVED the Hardy Boys series, also Tom Swift Jr. series--which, it turns out, were mostly written by the same writer. found it fun in retro--including how the boys always did dishes for their Aunt Gertrude...
Jack
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ate these up as a kid and usually got them as gifts for birthdays, Christmas and other events. This edition would be quite dated now and I believe they have updated the books. The author was a pseudonym for a plethora of writers who contributed to this series.
Jake K
Sep 26, 2019 rated it liked it
These stories are short enough to tell a story, but not one that compels the reader. I think the story is somewhat interesting, but names and locations start to get confusing.
Ethan Hulbert
Don't you miss the days when you could go out and buy an old Chinese junk just to make some extra money over the summer? Good story.
Grace
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quite mysterious and thrilling
Micah
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
a very good book , I recommend all kids who like detectives to read this book.
Denise
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
What I've Said Before

This is the 39th book in the original Hardy Boys Mystery Series which ran from 1927 to 1979 and was, along with the Nancy Drew, Tom Swift and Bobbsey Twins series, part of the Stratemeyer Syndicate. Like "Carolyn Keene" of the Nancy Drew series, "Franklin W. Dixon" is a pen name used by several different people over time. The usual modus operandi was for the contracted author to write the book according to an outline provided by the Syndicate. The present book was written
Jessica
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: tween-books, mystery
I would recommend this book to older kids who are interested in mysteries or enjoy figuring things out for themselves. I would mainly recommend this for kids between 8 and 10, however, because this book is very unrealistic. The Hardy boys are just teenagers, and yet they are smarter than the police and they and their friends are able to physically overwhelm every opponent they come across. Also, the Hardy boys are angel children, as are all their friends, who are always willing to sacrifice for ...more
Bookish Indulgenges with b00k r3vi3ws
When I first read Hardy Boys, I think I was in class 5, I had such a crush on Frank Hardy. I liked the brainy one over the brawny one and that sums up my first impression of Hardy Boys.
In their late teens, Frank and Joe Hardy take after their detective father Fenton Hardy. Frank is the older of the two and has more breakthroughs in the cases because he is the brainy one. Joe is the younger brother who more often than not is useful when things get hot and they need to fight their way out.
Catherine Woodman
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their famous father's footsteps.
The two boys live in the fictional city of Bayport (on Barmet Bay) with their famous father, Fenton Hardy, a private detective formerly with the New York Police Department, their mother Laura Hardy (erroneously called Mildred in The Flying Express), and their Aunt Gertrude, a
pdarnold
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fun read. Mystery, Chinese intrigue with good and bad guys, summer jobs, Chinese junk (type of boat), interesting characters... trying to figure out who is good or bad, theft, break-ins, solving mysteries, with the joys of discovery and dealing with disappointments.

Simplistic, yes. But still a fun good read.
Edward Davies
When it comes to coincidences, the Hardy Boys books are full of them. Frank, Joe, and some pals purchase an old Chinese boat which happens to have connections to a case their dad is investigating? This is fun for kids who can actually follow clues and play detective in this one, where there are choices of villains rather than just spoon-fed ones.
Deborah
May 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abby-reads
Abby says: I liked this book! My favourite part was when the brothers' friend Tony figured out that the answer had been right in front of them all along. I thought it was odd what the bad guy turned out to be at the end (I won't spoil it for you)! I also learned an alternative definition to the word junk thanks to this book!
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
Sona
Apr 14, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the first Hardy Boys book i read and i liked it...:)
Hillvan
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: j-2015-6-fall
750L
Shelbie Hughes
Apr 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was on the edge of my seat for almost the entire book. Except when I fell out of my chair from leaning to far forwards.
Eric Roberg
I read so many Hardy Boys books as a kid but this is the only one that I remember by title because I didn't understand what "junk" meant.
Kaltrina
is very interesting book..!
Matt
Jul 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: childhood

Not THAT kind of Chinese junk...
Naomi Valkyrie
My book has the same cover as shown in this listing but was published in 1988.
Joy
Dec 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-and-sweet, own
The boys buy a boat and attract a lot of unwanted attention.
Goodreads Librari...: Add to series 3 15 Apr 19, 2019 10:47AM
Goodreads Librari...: Two listings for the same editions of book 7 17 Jun 10, 2015 03:23PM

• The Long-Lost Home (The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place, #6)
  • Squirm
  • Sidekicks
  • The Adventures of Beekle: The Unimaginary Friend
  • No, David!
  • The Button War
  • I Want My Hat Back
  • Hurricane Heroes in Texas (Magic Tree House #30)
  • The Secret World of Mermaids (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #8)
  • Let the Games Begin! (The Kingdom of Wrenly, #7)
  • The Constitution of the United States of America
  • The Wild Robot Escapes (The Wild Robot, #2)
  • The Hike
  • Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus!
  • Orphan Island
  • Hadrian's Wall and the End of Empire: The Roman Frontier in the 4th and 5th Centuries
  • A Writer's House in Wales
  • An Irish Country Cottage (Irish Country #13)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.

The Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 190 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (The Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (The Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (The Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (The Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (The Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (The Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (The Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (The Hardy Boys, #9)
  • What Happened at Midnight (The Hardy Boys, #10)