Start by marking “Something Happened” as Want to Read:
Something Happened

Something Happened

"All around me I see people laughing, joking, and walking around with these huge, goofy smiles plastered on their faces. I've begun to wonder how they do it, and more important, will I ever be able to be like that again?"

Five months after his dad's unexpected death, Billy Romero is still struggling with the loss. Billy's mom spends more time talking to her Bluetooth than t
Published November 4th 2008 by Simon Pulse

To ask other readers questions about Something Happened, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Something Happened

Start your review of Something Happened
Alea
Dec 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
I think because of the cover I assumed that Billy was a high school student of maybe 16 or 17, he was actually a 13 year old in 8th grade. I feel with student/teacher relationships it can go probably one or two ways. #1: The teacher is a predator and their student is the innocent prey or #2: The student isn't completely innocent and encourages the teacher's behavior. I would put Something Happened into the first category. To me, Billy was completely innocent. He was curious and confused but inno ...more
Jackie
Aug 15, 2011 rated it liked it
I found the premise really interesting. But the execution fell short. It wasn't quite as beliable as I would have liked. That a 13 year old boy and a teacher could have that kind of a relationship. It built up nicley, but then climaxed and resolved far to quickly. I think if Billy had been a few years older or more would have happened in Tess's and Billy's relationship it would have been more interesting.
Stephanie A.
I live-blogged my way through this book, which is a pretty raucously entertaining amount of HELL TO THE NO re: the teacher's every suspicious action (see status updates), but it's too short/rushed and written at too low of a reading level to make a strong impact. Seems very much designed as a lesson book for younger readers, depending on your comfort level with how teenage boys think about their hot teachers.

It's not graphic or gross, and far be it from me to complain about hurt/comfort and tact
Lauren
Feb 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Something Happened has been sitting in my TBR pile for ages now, and I'm not really sure why that is, since I always find this subject matter (teachers crossing over the line between right and wrong with a student) to be interesting, and I'm a big fan of Greg's wife's books (Lauren Baratz-Logsted). Though, sadly enough, when I recently did give this book a chance I wasn't impressed, since, in all sincerity, when I think of Something Happened the only word that truly comes to mind is mediocre; no ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Jaglvr for TeensReadToo.com

It's the start of a new school year for Billy Romero. But nothing has changed.

It's been five months since his father was killed in a car accident, and it's all he can do to get through the day without breaking down. His friends can't understand why he can't move on. After all, it happened LAST year. Billy thinks to himself, "Seventh grade was only three months ago, not a year ago!" Billy is still grieving and has withdrawn from most of his friends and has
Hannah Zannetti
Mar 17, 2014 rated it did not like it
Something happened was an alright book. It related to events that are very likely in high school so it was easy to relate to, but it never really caught my interest. When Billy lost his father, he did not think he would be able to be happy again. Then Billy meets his new English teacher, Miss. Gate. Billy feels the support Miss. Gate offers and they soon become friends. However, when Miss. Gate and Billy hangout, things start to happen. They start kissing and Miss. Gate takes Billy to her house. ...more
Vanessa
Oct 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was looking for a good fun book to read as a Birthday treat to myself. I had borrowed this book from my Mom (she's mentioned in the acknowledgements...I feel so famous!) and decided this was the lucky winner. I am so glad that I did! The author has a clear voice that I would imagine teenage boys can really relate to. The story grabbed me from page 1. Billy's Dad has died and he is struggling to deal with this loss. His mother is busy with her work, and only his new English teacher seems to "ge ...more
Sarah BT
Jun 20, 2009 rated it liked it
I really liked this book for taking on a tough subject and handling it in a great way-it's detailed but not graphic. Billy is in middle school, which ups the ick factor of Miss Gate, but the author does a great job presenting the subject matter that I would have no problem giving this book to a seventh grader.

I also really appreciated that this book was told from a male point of view. The reader is able to get into Billy's mind and understand what it is about Miss Gate that interests him. I li
Stephanie L
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Something Happened was not spectacular but it did bring to light a touchy subject on something that happens in American schools. I appreciated that the novel was very descriptive. I felt the pain and guilt that Billy Romero was going through after the sudden loss of his father. I was able to put myself in his shoes and see where he was coming from.

His teacher recognized his pain and instead of helping him feel better, she put him in situations that could have caused his great harm. The author d
Takeena Strachan
Jul 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
The book was fine. I feel as though the writing of the book was done well but the plot and the storyline and how it progressed was not brought to justice. I thought the book deserve 2 stars due to the fact that the actual climax of the book didn't come in to play until the very end and I mean very end of the book, like last 20 pages end. As a senior in high school reading a young adult novel I recommend this book to someone in middle school or a young freshman in high school just to the fact tha ...more
Margaret Garrett
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book surprised me. It is written from the point of view of an eighth-grade boy who lost his father and is dealing with a new school year where friends and teachers have moved on.

His English teacher takes a special interest in him and his poetry and takes it a little too far. I read this book in one sitting. I enjoyed getting the perspective of the male character and seeing how he deals with his emotions and the crises around him.
Catherine
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
Maybe it's because I am an English teacher myself, but I found this book slightly enough outside of the realm of believability that I often rolled my eyes (though it was not so totally unbelivable that I could read it as an alternate reality or anything).

Storyline was intriguing but poorly executed and I feel like the author rushed to finish it rather than taking his time to develop the denouement fully.
Ashley
Mar 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2009, young-adult
Really I would give it a 2 and a half star. I just didn't find it believable. When I started the book I thought it was going to be about a high school boy, but he was in 8th grade. I felt really disturbed that a grown women wanted this boy. I know it happens, but it just seems weird to me. The end was also rushed.
Liberty Abbott-Sylvester
Billy is a 13 year old kid who lost his father in a car accident recently. The book centers around his vulnerability and innocence and the English teacher who takes advantage of that. I think the story was not developed enough. It was very rushed and because of that made the situation not very believable, especially the ending.
Patra Kennedy
Sep 15, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: books-this-year
I rated this book a three because nonthing really happens. Many parts of the book get your hopes up that something is actually going to happen but nonthing ever does execpt fot they kiss and the end doesn't make a difference in the story at all.
Maddy
Feb 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Vashane
May 26, 2010 is currently reading it
This book is about 13 year old Billy Ramero. He just lost his father in the spring and now he's trying to find someone to talk to. Billy's English teacher Miss Tess Gate has giving billy support and friendship.
F. O.
Dec 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: teen
A teacher who looks like Angelina Jolie and owns a Mustang? Rolling eyes.
Mary Louise
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
This book had the potential to be riveting and interesting based on the subject matter. I enjoyed the majority of the book but found the ending to be incredibly rushed and unrealistic.
Lori
May 12, 2011 marked it as to-read
Donated to my lending library by Jennifer Cycholl. Thank you, Jennie!
Niecey Babyy
Mar 05, 2009 added it
Recommends it for: Drama wit teachers
Recommended to Niecey Babyy by: mrs.LeVessaur
Dis book is very thrillin...
wat i learned from dis book i neva get 2 close 2 teachers...hang out wit kids ur own age....
Cecily Kyle
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Good book, no one thinks of the situation being reversed and a woman being the sexual predator but I guess it happens a little more then we think.. at least in the writing world.
Gina Rose
May 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
Everyone asked me while reading this book "Well, what happened?" My response: Nothing happened.

Not worth the time, in my opinion.
Trevor
Sep 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
was hoping something (more) would happen.
Yamilé Nadra
Characters: 3.5.5
Writing Style: 3.5
Overall Rating: 3/5 stars
Bridget
If I had to compare it to a real life story...I would say it seems most like the Amanda Ludwig trial. But, I dont know any of the extreme details.
May 20, 2014
Halima Farouk
Jun 10, 2010
Melanie Douglas
Mar 28, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• To Professor, with Love (Forbidden Men, #2)
Greg Logsted has lived in Connecticut his whole life. He occasionally escapes but always comes back. He suspects that strings are attached. When he’s not writing he’s climbing ladders, drinking coffee, and turning night into day. He presently lives in Danbury with his wife Lauren Baratz-Logsted and their daughter Jackie.

News & Interviews