Jump to ratings and reviews

Changes in Latitudes

All Cassie wants is to get some solid ground under her feet following the shock of her parents’ divorce. So when she learns of her mom’s plans to take Cassie and her brother, Drew, on a four-month sailing trip from Oregon to Mexico, she’s stunned. There is absolutely nothing solid about the Pacific Ocean.

Cassie is furious. And nervous. It’s been hard enough keeping Drew sheltered from what Cassie knows about her mother’s role in breaking their family apart, but living in such close quarters threatens to push her anger past its tipping point.

Enter Jonah, a whip-smart deckhand who’s as gorgeous as he is flirtatious. Cassie tries to keep him at a distance, but the more time they spend together—wandering San Francisco, riding beachside roller coasters, and exploring the California coastline—the harder it is to fight the attraction.

Cassie wants to let herself go, but her parents’ split has left her feeling adrift in a sea of questions she can’t even begin to answer. Can she forgive her mom? Will home ever feel the same? Should she take a chance on Jonah? With life’s unpredictable tides working against her, Cassie must decide whether to swim against them…or dive right in.

384 pages, Kindle Edition

First published July 25, 2017

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Jen Malone

16 books517 followers
I once spent a year traveling the world solo from Nepal to Romania to Fiji, where I learned 99.9% of humanity is pretty freaking awesome yet somehow doesn't share my love of ice cubes in a drink. I met my husband on the highway, literally. In fact our meet-cute was SO cute we had a whole story written about it in Ladies Home Journal. My twin boys placed second in the Most Identical contest at the International Festival of Twins. Their little sister placed first in the most adorable contest at the All The People In Our Living Room Festival. I once accompanied a pajama-clad Oprah Winfrey (and her puppies) through the laundry room of the Four Seasons. I have also been in a hotel room alone with a shirtless Mark Wahlberg. In both those instances, it was not what you think. Oh, and I went into early labor while on Stevie Nicks' tour bus. That is pretty much what you think.

Here's the more official bio:
Jen Malone writes fun and flirty YA travel romances with HarperCollins and humorous "girl power" MG adventures with Simon & Schuster. She once spent a year traveling the world solo, met her husband on the highway (literally), and went into labor with her identical twins while on a rock star's tour bus. These days she saves the drama for her books. You can learn more about Jen and her books at www.jenmalonewrites.com. Find her on Twitter and Instagram @jenmalonewrites.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
63 (7%)
1 star
20 (2%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 125 reviews
Profile Image for Heather.
370 reviews16.8k followers
January 1, 2018
Hmmm I liked this book but wanted more from it.
The main problem I had with this book was the main character. She annoyed me to no end honestly. I think if she wasn't so stubborn & mean I would Have liked this book so much more.

Sorry to be blunt but that's just how I feel!

I did love the whole sailing aspect a ton though!
Profile Image for Sarah Elizabeth.
4,670 reviews1,269 followers
May 19, 2017

“Marooned at sea with my mother? For four months?
This is not real life. This is not my life.
‘That was the good news sweetie.’
Yeah, I was kind of afraid of that.”

This was a YA contemporary story about a girl whose mother made her go sailing for 4 months.

Cassie was quite a fierce character, and when she held a grudge, she really held it. She didn’t always show good judgement though, and she often didn’t consider other people’s feelings either.

The storyline in this was about Cassie’s mother springing the news on her that they were going sailing for 4 months and Cassie not taking the news well. We then followed them as they began their sailing journey, and Cassie moaned about it. Things picked up a bit when Jonah showed up though, and we got the beginnings of a very slow romance.

The ending to this was quite sudden it seemed, and I was surprised that we didn’t get to see the whole of the journey through with Cassie and her family, and didn’t get to see where the romance was heading either really.

6.5 out of 10
Profile Image for nick (the infinite limits of love).
2,119 reviews1,326 followers
July 14, 2017

I have come to expect the best summery contemporary romances from Jen Malone just based on her release last year, Wanderlost. Though I didn’t read the book in the summer, Changes in Latitudes was just the perfect read for me, with all the themes that I love in a good YA contemporary.

I have to say, I’m really liking this new trend of unlikable YA protagonists – flawed girls make for the most interesting characters. I’ll admit, I initially struggled with Cassie’s character. She was very angry at the world, particularly at her mom. She blames her mother for her parents’ divorce, and she is angry that her mother has ruined her summer plans to go on a sailing trip. I had to remind myself that this was a teen girl, and teen girls tend to make a mountain out of a molehill out of every thing. It’s that age when you think the whole world is against you because of all the changes going on. What’s great about Cassie’s character is that her irritable personality doesn’t go unchallenged in Changes in Latitudes. As the summer progresses, and she learns more about her mom and dad’s situation, she begins to see just how awful and unfair she has been. Best of all, she acknowledges her behavior and apologizes for it. Her growth in the book was the highlight of Changes in Latitudes for me. It’s clear that Jen Malone knows how to pen characters that are rough around the edges really well.

Along the way, Cassie also finds a sweet romance that had my heart fluttering in joy. Jonah was just the perfect guy for her. He’s flirty, charming and a total sweetheart. You’ll find it impossible not to smile when he’s in a scene. He understands Cassie and throughout the book, while he’s supportive of her, he also has no qualms telling her she’s in the wrong. They grow from a friendship to an adorable romance full of swoony kisses. Trust me, you’ll love these two. I also really loved all the other relationships in Changes in Latitudes. Cassie’s relationship with her mom, while complicated and very messy, was so well-written. As was her relationship with her brother. I always love reading books about siblings that are close, and it was pure delight here. The sailing trip in Changes in Latitudes was also a lot of fun, and made the book enjoyable. It was like a road trip, but at sea. I have to say, I learned a thing or two about sailing, which I thought was great! Plus, Jonah and Cassie explore some cool locales that gave this book an extra something special.

If you love any of the following, you should most definitely pick up this book:

flawed girls that grow throughout the book
super swoony romances and respectful love interests
complicated family dynamics
anything ocean related
Prepare to be delighted!
Profile Image for Samantha (WLABB).
3,331 reviews231 followers
July 29, 2017
This year had already taken its toll on Cassie due to her parents' divorce, which seemed to come out of nowhere, and she had been having difficulty dealing with the changes in her family dynamic. Her father moved overseas and, she was no longer on good terms with her mother. Cassie was just counting down the days until she would be away from it all on a road trip with her two besties. Then her mother informed her that they would be embarking on a trip of their own, aboard a small sailboat, for four months! Cassie needed space, but her mother had other ideas.

This is the second book I have recently read, that dealt with a broken family in need of healing. I loved that Cassie's mom made such a bold choice to trap them in close quarters for such long period of time. It was a good choice, because Cassie was very angry, and something drastic had to be done in order to try and mend that relationship.

The added bonus of this taking place on a sailboat, is that we got to go on a pretty awesome trip along with the characters. I really felt like I was right there sight-seeing with Cassie and her caravan, and I was delighted by the sights and sounds of the west coast. I also liked that I wasn't really there, because there were some close calls, and those parts must have been written well, because I was scared for all the people aboard the boat.

I previously mentioned that Cassie was pretty angsty, and normally I struggle with this type of character, but Malone fleshed her out and gave her more than one speed. We were shown the angry Cassie, but we also got to see the fun Cassie, the generous Cassie, and the sweet Cassie. Malone also did a good job of putting us in Cassie's head, so I understood where the angst was coming from, and was also privy to the inner battles she was having with all her emotions.

You know how they say it takes a village? Well, it took quite a few people to help Cassie see her way out of this state. She was not accustomed to so many disappointments, nor was she used to them being this major. This was a HUGE thing she had to work through, and it took a while for her to face it all and do the growing up that was necessary to maybe not be at peace with all the changes, but rather to accept that they happened and try to keep moving forward.

I was really feeling all the evolving relationships in this one. This trip was such a plus for so many of the characters. It gave Cassie a chance to bond with her brother, and the whole experience really opened her eyes to how much he had grown up. It gave her a chance to mend her relationship with her mother. The loss that both mother and daughter were experiencing due to this rift was palpable. My heart went out to both of them, and I was really rooting for them, for the whole family to get to a better place, together.

Cassie also got to build a relationship with Jonah. Jonah won me over from his first time on the page. There was just something so special about him, and my goodness, he made me swoon, and swoon, and swoon. I loved the exchanges between him and Cassie. They talked, like really talked, and their connection was so obvious and real. He was a little damaged, but as with almost all our main characters, this trip was beneficial for him too.

I would love to say I got all the closure I needed from the ending, but I did not. *Sad face*. For those of you who have read my reviews before, you know this is a thorn in my side, because I need loose ends tied off. The ending definitely had things going in the right direction, but it was so open, and with this being a stand-alone, I am forced to imagine the perfect ending in my head.

Overall: A lovely story about accepting the hand the universe dealt you and leaning how to sail in.

**I would like to thank the publisher for the advanced copy of this book. Quotes are from an ARC and may change upon publication.

BLOG|INSTAGRAM|BLOGLOVIN| FRIEND ME ON GOODREADS
Profile Image for Grace {Rebel Mommy Book Blog}.
475 reviews171 followers
August 14, 2017
Review
If Wanderlost made me want to take a trip to Europe with a bus full of seniors than Changes in Latitude made me yearn to Live on a sail boat for months and learn to sail. While these things will probably never happen I am glad Jen Malone's books can let me pretend for a while!

Changes in Latitude is about Cassie, whose parent's divorce rocked her life and changed her relationship with her mother for the worse. Cassie has big plans for her summer when her mother informs her that her and her brother will be spending 4 months on a boat sailing to Mexico. The last place Cassie wants to be is in close quarters with her mother for that long. Her mother hopes this will bring them all closer together. Will it work??

Cassie reminded me of a typical teenager. She wasn't always the best to her mother, everything happening seemed like the end of the world and she was stubborn about opening up to new ideas. That said I still really liked her. She just wasn't adjusting well at all. We see her grow and realize how she was acting wasn't justified or appropriate. Yay for growth!

Of course, there is an adorable romance. Jonah was hard not to love. He was fun and flirty but could be real when he needed to be. I loved when he showed her around San Francisco, his hometown. That was definitely a favorite part for me.

Family dynamics galore! Even though her parents are divorced it doesn't mean she doesn't have two loving parents. She does and we do get to see them both. Her dad isn't in it much but he is there and supportive and lovely. Her mom is just trying so hard to reach Cassie and mend their relationship. Also, her brother is pretty awesome and their relationship is great. I was glad to see them all come together and get past a lot of their issues.

I never knew I needed a book with sailing in my life until this one. I loved the adventure of it and all the terminology.

This was another winner from Jen Malone for me!This review was originally posted on Rebel Mommy Book Blog
Profile Image for Jaime Arkin.
1,417 reviews1,333 followers
April 25, 2017
You guys… Jen Malone writes such good swoon. My very first book from Jen Malone was Wanderlost and anything she writes will forever be compared to the sweet and swoon from that one and while this one doesn’t surpass it, I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Cassie has been struggling with her parents’ divorce for months now. Her father is overseas teaching, her brother could care less and her mom… well, she couldn’t blame her mother more for the end of their family. All she’s looking forward to this summer is spending the days with her best friends and forgetting the crap that her life has dealt her.

That is until her mother explains that they’ll be sailing from Oregon to Mexico this summer. If she thought it was hard enough to avoid her mom while living in a house, just imagine the fireworks while living for months on a cramped ship.

First of all, I really loved the setting of this story. The majority of it takes place on a sailboat in the water, and it really allows for a unique spin to the story. As someone who has never sailed I appreciated Cassie’s newbie status which allowed Malone the opportunity to teach us readers a few things along the way.

For as much angst and drama that there is in Cassie’s family at the current moment, I appreciated that their love for each other was apparent. Cassie’s dad, while not on the boat, was still a part of this story and in such a positive way, and I loved Cassie’s relationship with her younger brother. And yes, while a teenager being angry at their mom can be somewhat cliché, Cassie has her reasons, but I loved the evolution of their dynamics in this story. Malone really develops these relationships between everyone in such a wonderful way.

Then there is Jonah… *sigh*.

This guy is flirty, fun and sweet and I can completely understand how Cassie couldn’t resist. Jonah has his own issues going on, but he and Cassie manage to bond and build a friendship that blooms into so much more. I loved how he actually listened to her and offered her advice… even if she was too stubborn to take it. Their relationship was just lovely to read and I can’t wait to experience it again when I reread this story!

Of course I have to admit that there were times that Cassie really irritated me with her selfishness, but then I had to remind myself that she is a teenage girl, who is pissed that her summer is ruined and she’s going to lose all the things that she feels define her and her family … and while I still didn’t love it all the time, I understood why she acts the way she does.

If you are a fan of fun, sweet contemporary romances you don’t want to miss this one from Jen Malone.

Thank you to the publisher for an early copy in exchange for my honest thoughts.
Profile Image for Theresa.
106 reviews141 followers
July 13, 2017
Super cute and quick summer read!! Definitely recommend if you're looking for a book to relax with at the beach!
Profile Image for Thamy.
429 reviews26 followers
July 24, 2017
This was a well written and well researched book. I could really feel like I was traveling on the Sunny, along with Cassie, and got to learn so much. It's hard to find YA's like that. However, I think it lacked some magic. But first things first.

Cassie still hasn't accepted her parents' divorce, especially when it was all her mother's fault and now her father needs to work in Hong Kong. Now she needs to follow another of her mother's crazy ideas and sail down to Mexico all summer long, stuck in the boat with her mother and her younger brother. On the bright side, she meets Jonah in the caravan.

The characters were great. Even though Cassie's rebellion got on my nerves for most of the story, I think that's exactly how I'd behave if all that happened to me. Her brother Drew was such a lovely kid I wish there had been more of him in the story. And Cassie's mother was as complex as though she were my own mother. Jonah was the I've-seen-the-same-in-every-book character but it wasn't a big problem.

I actually can't point out a problem alone. It's more about emotions. The book could have taken my breath away, could have made my heart beat faster, could have made me laugh harder. In all of those aspects, it was lacking. It was so interested how it made me travel along with all the sailing part but the plot itself fell flat.

The ending isn't bad. But again, it wasn't great. Also, it ended a little sudden. I understood how everyone got but I feel I needed a less abrupt parting from the characters I grew to love. I think the author has potential but this book could have used more spice.

Review based on an ARC provided by Edelweiss. I also want to thank the publisher for giving me this opportunity.
Profile Image for Danielle (Life of a Literary Nerd).
1,125 reviews245 followers
July 13, 2017
“Marooned at sea with my mother? For four months? This is not real life. This is not my life. ‘What’s the Good news?’ I manage, subtly squeezing my eyes shut, then open, shut, then open, to see if that tilts the world back on its axis.

'That was the good news sweetie.’

Yeah, I was kind of afraid of that.”

A “road trip” romance that takes place during a sailing trip from Oregon to Mexico. Changes in Latitude is really the PERFECT summer read! Cassie is still reeling from the shock of her parents divorce, so she’s devastated - and angry- when her mom plans for a 4 month sailing trip with her little brother, the summer before her senior year. Along the way, Cassie must learn to deal with her loss of control, her strained relationship with her mom, and maybe even get a little romance with a deckhand in their convoy south. Changes in Latitude is high on drama and and entertainment as Cassie learned to let go on the open waters.

Things I Liked :
This book had a really high entertainment factor for me. I can’t say that it was really engaging or gripping, but I did really like the characters and how the relationships all develop, made for a fun read.

This book so perfectly summery! There’s sailing and summer romance, what more could you really want?

I love that Cassie’s hobby/passion was botany. It was such a unique hobby for a YA character and I loved that we got to see her be passionate about something, especially a scientific field!

I also really loved that Cassie recognized she had a bad attitude about the whole sailing trip and her parent’s divorce. Cassie could be bratty and whiny at times, nothing outside the norm for an angsty teen upset at the world (and her mom specifically), but I like that she realized she was being unfair and holding back just to keep that control over her anger.

Things I Didn’t Like :
Cassie and Jonah were actually really cute and had pretty fantastic banter, I just didn’t really love their age difference. He’s 20 and she’s 17, so it’s not the biggest age difference in the world, it just always made me a little uncomfortable.

Changes in Latitude is a great beach read. You can really knock it out in one go. It’s one of those perfect summer stories that keeps you turning the pages and wanting more.

I received a copy of the book from HarperTeen in exchange for an honest review.
Profile Image for Ry.
71 reviews28 followers
July 26, 2019
actual rating: 3.5 stars
Profile Image for Jessica.
719 reviews610 followers
August 6, 2017

Hmm. Overall this wasn't too bad but the main character was a real piece of work. She was such a selfish, whiny little brat sometimes which annoyed me massively.
Profile Image for Madison.
1,063 reviews59 followers
April 25, 2017
Changes is Latitudes is a road trip novel set at sea. A story about big changes, facing the difficulties life throws up, family - whether it is broken or healing - and maybe even a chance at love.

Cassie's life has been one curve ball after another recently. Like her parents' divorce and her father moving to Hong Kong. But the sailboat that appears in her driveway might beat it all, especially when her mother explains that she, Cassie, and Cassie's brother Drew will be skipping their summer plans and sailing the yacht down the coast to Mexico. Life on board is just as awful as Cassie expects - seasickness, tight quarters, separation from her friends and their summer plans, and no distance from her mother who Cassie blames for all the recent changes in her life. But there might also be a few unexpected benefits, like the cute guy who is sailing on another boat in their group. It's a summer of big changes, but it might also be a summer of new discoveries and healing old hurts.

Who doesn't love a road trip and this book takes that to the next level by setting the trip at sea along the West Coast of USA. Rugged weather, gorgeous animal encounters, and amazing scenery provide a fantastic backdrop for the story.

I think what I liked most about this book was the way in which the author makes Cassie likeable. Yes, she is very upset about everything that has happened to her. Yes, she is angry and takes that out on the people around her. Yes, she would rather be anywhere else but on that sailboat. And yet, she never comes across as whiney or ridiculous or boring, which is great. In fact, I really felt for Cassie and could definitely empathise with her situation. I also liked that Cassie readily acknowledges that having her parents divorce might not be the rarest form of upset in her life, it may not be as bad as the things other people might have to deal with, but it is still painful and upsetting. I think this is so important. Just because it might be a common occurrence doesn't mean it hurts or that Cassie isn't entitled to be upset.

I loved that Cassie is into plants. She wants to be a botanist and has a beautiful garden that she carefully tends. It made a great contrast to her life at sea, but I liked that it is a rare interest for YA characters.

This book is all about relationships. Cassie's relationship with her mother is obviously a key one, as is her relationship with Jonah. But there are also other relationships explored, like the one she has with her brother as she learns to see him slightly differently than she has before. And, of course, her relationship or view of herself and her world, which undergoes a few big changes. The romance between Cassie and Jonah is well-paced, a perfect addition to the story, but it doesn't steal the limelight.

Overall, Changes in Latitude is a fun contemporary novel that explores important themes in a very enjoyable way.

The publishers provided an advanced readers copy of this book for reviewing purposes. All opinions are my own.

Find more reviews, reading age guides, content advisory, and recommendations on my blog Madison's Library.
Profile Image for Bookundermybed.
138 reviews5 followers
August 1, 2021
Cassie’s parents have just got divorced and she’s struggling to stay afloat, so when her mother decides they are going on a sailing trip to Mexico she is livid. There is nothing stable about the ocean. But is sailing as bad as Cassie imagines? And when she meets handsome Jonah, things might start looking up.

Okay, this is my first Jen Malone book and I am super disappointed. I really enjoyed the sailing aspects, especially when they were weathering storms. I also learnt a lot about sailing.

Cassie is awful. She has a really bad attitude and she is very immature. I was ready to DNF it from page 20 (but we don’t DNF). Cassie is mean to everyone, especially her mother. I hate how it portrays teenagers. Gosh!
Her brother Drew was really sweet and I liked his happy- go-lucky attitude. I also liked the backing characters a lot. Abigail and Grace were sweetie pies and Miranda and Amy were also so fun.

The other hateable character was the love interest Jonah. He’s all philosophical and beyond his years. He’s so gorgeous and he jokes about everything. SO PERFECT. 🤢
I just didn’t like him. I know some people did but, like, wow, I hated him a lot. I mean he makes Cassie call him ‘Pirate Sexytime’ 🤮.
I can appreciate a good joke but not everything is funny.
Too many jokes makes everything boring and these people make everything a joke.

The book was just about sailing and Cassie hates it until she meets Jonah and they fall in love and then she loves it and she hates her mum but then her mum gets hurt so they become friends again.
THAT’S IT!!!

Everyone was so messed up and their lives were so hard but they just annoyed me. I hated the main characters.

You know that feeling when you are sitting in a long class and you keep looking at the clock to check how many minutes you have left till the class is over?
That’s how this book felt, like I couldn’t finish it soon enough.

This book should have been a perfect summer read but I suffered through it. The ending was also not really an ending and we were left hanging. 😭😭💕
Profile Image for Bookcat700.
112 reviews
May 2, 2021
Changes in Latitudes seemed like the perfect summer read when I first came across it (even if it’s going onto winter and I am currently wearing my fluffy slippers). And yes, I did get summer vibes but I was not satisfied with this read.

Pros
-The crewmates. The people they were sailing with were lots of fun and amazing backing characters.
-Grace and Abigail were cuteness overload.
-I learnt a lot about sailing.
-Drew was a great sibling to our protagonist.
-The San Francisco trip was really cool.

Cons
-Our protagonist was utterly self centred and the way she treated her mother was appalling.
-Our love interest has potential but I found him creepy. 🙈
-The fact that everyone had a messed up life with messed up parents.
-When her mum had a concussion and when they sold the house.
-I wish the backing characters were featured more.
-There were a lot of ‘inappropriate jokes’ made that I didn’t understand (I’m not sure if it is a thing or if I’m just ignorant 🙈)

I was speed reading this towards the end so I could finish it but there were highs and lows to this book. I just wish there was so so so much more to this book. I find it really difficult to like and connect to the book if I can’t like or connect to the characters.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Deyse .
290 reviews26 followers
May 21, 2017
I really hate that my slump made me ready this one so slowly. It's a great story and I think the more mature from Malone so far, it has the right balance between cute summery romance and real life shit. The MC is having a hard time dealing with her parents separation and coming from separated parents I could relate to her feelings so much, a situation like this is always messy and hard on everyone involved, it was nice to see this family trying its best to make things work, there was a lot of times when I teared up. I world have liked a bit more of the father side of things, maybe he could have showed up on one scene at the end, same from the friends, I get that there was geographical barriers and stuff, but still. Also, the ending is super open, so I wouldn't have minded a epilogue.
Profile Image for CozyReaderKelly.
421 reviews68 followers
May 8, 2019
2.5 stars - I did not really enjoy too much about this book. It wasn't badly written or anything, but the plot was just bland for me. Also, I read this book because Wanderlost by Jen Malone had such a cute romance with great chemistry, and I expected at least a great romance if not a spectacular plot. Unfortunately, the romance was pretty lackluster as well. About the only part that was really good was the first kiss scene. I thought that was full of sparks and happy feels. I just wish that carried over to the rest of the romance.

The main thing that bothered me was the main character. I know she was bitter from her parents' divorce but I found her pretty insufferable. Which also made it hard to see why the love interest would connect with her. She was horrible at communicating, and I just did not like following her perspective.
Profile Image for ضحى الحداد.
Author 3 books614 followers
June 3, 2018
I really like Jen Malone style in writing .. she is just so good in writing books about road trips and it's like I've been there with the characters through out the journey
Cass is really annoying but Jonah balanced her out that their relationship was just adorable .. but I have to say my favorite character was Drew .. Cass's brother, man I want a brother like that he is such an old soul :)
this book was fun and emotional at the same time .. really recommended if you like the sea and sailing to an epic adventure
May 1, 2019
Really enjoyed this YA piece. At times the main character got a little frustrating and boring, but still it was a quick read and just what I needed to get back into reading as I hadn't read for my entertainment for a long time.
Profile Image for ☆☆Hannah☆☆.
2,909 reviews37 followers
February 12, 2018
This was an okay read. The MC was a real piece of work. I get that her mom didn't exactly help matters by how she treated her marriage or how she decided to move her daughter to a boat. Thankfully things got better towards the end when she found out the truth about why her parents marriage ended.
Profile Image for Nicole.
31 reviews3 followers
January 10, 2019
The beginning of this book was very slow/boring and I wasn't sure if I would be able to actually get into the book at all. After a few chapters, however, the plot picked up and I found myself not wanting to put the book down! The character development throughout the book is amazing. This was an easy read but had such a powerful message throughout it! If you're looking for a relaxing and easy book to read I would definitely recommend Changes in Latitudes!
Profile Image for Jennifer.
1,797 reviews
July 25, 2017
3.5/5 stars

Changes in Latitudes is a standalone Young Adult contemporary novel.

The narrator is Cassie (1st person POV). She is almost 18 years old and getting ready to start her senior year of high school.

The book is part romance, part road trip (but on a sail boat) and part realistic fiction.

Cassie's parents are getting a divorce and her mom wants them to go on a 4 months sailing trip on a small boat.

When I started the book I was thinking that Cassie would be on the boat with her friends. So that part surprised me. I was also not expecting the boat to be so small. That added a level of discomfort to the story.

I knew that there would be a boy involved, and there was one. That definitely made the story more interesting.

The book is basically about a sailing trip. It's about a family going through a divorce and how the teenage children handle the situation.

The sailing part of the story was definitely very interesting. I also thought that how they traveled (with other boats) was very cool.

Overall, the story was fine. I enjoyed it while I was reading it. Although I wish that more had happened throughout the book. There was some drama towards the end. And that was my favorite part of the book. However, the story did not end how I was expecting it to end. The ending was too unresolved. I wanted to know what would happen with Jonah, with school ... I wanted more. It just felt like the story wasn't complete.

Thanks to edelweiss and HarperTeen for allowing me to read this book.
Profile Image for Lindsay.
569 reviews
May 20, 2017
Cassie’s world has turned upside down. Her parents divorced, her dad flew overseas to China where he teaches as a professor and her mom explains that they are renting out their house while they charter a sailboat from Oregon to Mexico for four months. So Cassie unwillingly says goodbye to her house, her garden, her friends, and her life of seventeen years as her mom, brother, and her board a sailboat and set sail. Their caravan is made up of two other boats including another family and a sailing expert with his twenty-year-old nephew. The story revolves around Cassie attempting to adjust to life at sea as well as battling her mom, since she is the cause of the divorce, while developing a relationship with Jonah.

This book could have had so much potential. The main character was the reason it failed. Cassie was almost eighteen and yet she acted like a child, pouting and storming off in tantrums when she heard something she didn’t like. Not to mention that her fourteen-year-old brother acted like an adult amidst Cassie’s outburst and guilt trips. Honestly, if I were in Cassie’s shoes then yes, I would be upset over the house rental and living on a boat for four months, but I wouldn’t resort to acting like a child the whole trip, constantly bickering and reminding everyone of how awful sailing down the west coast is. I mean, imagine. Seeing marine life, dolphins, sea lions, and whales along with beautiful sunsets, crystal blue skies and the Pacific Ocean. What other seventeen-year-old would have that chance? And instead of realizing that this is a once in a lifetime experience and accepting that she isn’t in charge of everything, Cassie mopes and is bitter to everyone except Jonah.

But then again, not everyone was raised like me, learning to accept things and not fight back when a decision has been made by the parents. I would have liked the story better if Cassie learned to accept the trip earlier on, instead of at the end, and didn’t use Jonah as her only reason for liking it. She hated everything about sailing until her and Jonah started hanging out and then bam, she is love stricken and spends all her time fantasizing about him.

I love anything to do with the ocean and sailing, but Cassie’s attitude ruined the book for me.

I received an ARC of Changes in Latitudes from Edelweiss.
Profile Image for Brenda Drake.
Author 12 books856 followers
September 11, 2017
This was such a fun story! Jen Malone knows how to write unput-downable (That's word, right?) swoony reads! Cassie and Jonah are perfect together--swoon! Cassie's reaction to her parents divorce reminded me of mine own experience with my parents' divorce. Jen really shows Cassie's growth throughout the novel as she learns to navigate her new life after her parents' separation. Jonah has made my list of book boyfriends (I know - I'm totally not monogamous when it comes to book boyfriends.). He challenges Cassie, and his flirty ways had my heart pitter-pattering (now I sound like my grandma). All the characters were so great in this story. The sailing part was wonderful and I just want to hop on that boat with them and sail into the sunset!
Profile Image for Erica Chapman.
Author 2 books176 followers
July 26, 2017
AWESOME! I want a Jonah of my own!! Seriously swoony and I loved how the author handled the relationship with the mom, and her brother's character growth, and of course Cassie's <3 What a fun ride!

A story that takes place in the open sea but the only sickness in this tale is in your heart when it's over <3

Well done!!
Profile Image for alice.
268 reviews335 followers
Shelved as 'dnf'
June 29, 2017
DNF @ 15%. I'm sure many people will enjoy this fluffy contemporary romance, but I'm just not feeling it. I might pick it up at a later date when I'm up for it, but right now is just not the time.
Profile Image for Deniz.
1,135 reviews99 followers
July 25, 2017
How to rate this?

Well the first half is around 3 stars for me because well frankly I found Cassie extremely annoying. I get anger I get being lost but she was too self-centred and had no empathy for anyone else, nor did she consider anyone else's situation or POV.
But then Jonah came along. And me like Jonah. A lot. I really got caught up in the romance. Let me warn you it's not your slambang insta forever. But it's fancy and attraction that slowly becomes more. Super cute and very slow burn. I loved the near kiss scene though it was utterly frustrating. In the best possible way. Then as things happen, Cassie does not quite change but she starts considering things a bit more and she starts realising that just sulking about crap isn't going to help anyone and with that she grew on me. The last 20% were awesome! So I would in fact give the second half 4.5Stars... which makes 3.75Stars, and while I am happy to have half stars, not going to do quarter ones. So 4 Stars it is.

Retrospectively I really enjoyed the journey Cassie went through. While she didn't actually change that much, she decided to take a leap and more importantly started considering others. I love how much she learnt and how she got through her turmoil through traveling.
Jonah is sigh-worthy, wise and cute. Total book boyfriend material or as Cassie puts it Pirate Sexypants.
Drew is such a wonderful support cast, he is an old soul and I love how Cassie actually gets to know different sides of him during their journey.
The rest of the support cast is equally interesting, even the one's we don't get to see/hear much.
In the end this is about Cassie and her inward and outward journey.

Traveling has been an important part in my life as long as I can think. I am one that is all for sailing in... While traveling I always learn a lot about myself, it reminds me of how insignificant and small my problems are but mostly traveling always opens up one's perspective. Malone did a fantastic job on conveying that. The descriptions of the journey, the places, the elations and the downsides are fabulous. It's clear Malone has done quite a bit of traveling herself but her prose is simply perfect for this book. It's easy to read, yet descriptive and very insightful.

The storyline is well paced, has some cool twists that were totally unexpected. As I mentioned I totally adore the romance. I also love the end. It's not a HEA, but rather there is closure while there is hope and an opening. The end of a chapter rather than THE end. Just like life. I totally love it

So basically my issue was that I found the MC in the beginning to egotistical and sulky. But there are so much beauty and thought provoking moments in this I ended up loving it. And there is a cute romance in it as well.
Wonderful novel for all who are wanderer at heart!
Profile Image for Amanda.
1,065 reviews
January 28, 2018
I really enjoyed the previous book by Malone that I've read and was hoping top enjoy this one just as much. Unfortunately, I had a hard time getting through this book.

Cass is the main reason I struggled with this book. The way she treated her mother was not good and got frustrating. Cass overheard a snippet of a conversation between her mother and father and from that little snippet she blames her mother for their divorce. She never tried to talk to her mom about what she overheard. Instead she mouths off to her mom, gives her the cold shoulder, ignores her, and disobeys her. She acted like her behavior was completely justified and that she didn't have to listen to her mom. I found her immature and even at the end when the truth comes out I still didn't care for Cass.

What I did likes was her brother Drew. He was a sweet character and he handled all the changes in their lives with maturity. While he too struggled with some of the changes he tried to be understanding about them. I also liked Jonah, he too was a go with the flow type person. He was there for Cass and tried to offer support and a voice of reason, even when she refused to listen.

I am disappointed that I did not like this as much as I was hoping to, but I still look forward to Malone's next book.
Profile Image for Alexa.
2,095 reviews10.9k followers
July 23, 2017
This is the second Jen Malone novel I've had the pleasure of reading, and I enjoyed it a whole lot! It was really cool to read a story set on a sailboat for majority of the scenes, as the main character sets or on a months long voyage at sea with her mom and little brother. I found those details fascinating! I also liked that, apart from sailing shenanigans, there was also a lot of stuff that Cassie had to deal with - like her lingering resentment towards her mom and her developing feelings for a member of their sailing caravan. It was a fun read (even if it was a touch predictable), and I would recommend adding it to your summer TBR!
August 12, 2020
Kept waiting for Cassie to trip and fall overboard and die, so that the others could live in peace, but that obviously didn't happen, so I feel cheated out of my Happy Ending. God, she was such a whiny, moany, annoying brat. This book had the potential to be a nice, cheerful read had it not been for Cassie's constant moping.

I get it, she was upset with her mother. But she was neither willing to confront her and have it out with her, nor was she willing to letting it go. And that really d got on my nerves. So yeah, since the female protagonist totally ruined this book for me, I'm going with one star.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 125 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.