Start by marking “Sleeping ’til Sunrise (Mangrove Stories, #5)” as Want to Read:
Sleeping ’til Sunrise (Mangrove Stories, #5)

Sleeping ’til Sunrise

(Mangrove Stories #5)

Everyone in Mangrove, Florida, knows Fire Chief Essien Dodd is a saint. He took care of his ex-wife until she died, is raising his teenage daughter alone, and is the kind of man who pulls kittens from trees. All in all, the man’s a catch. But Roark Hammond has sworn off getting involved with a man who’s been hurt before because he can’t guarantee he won’t hurt his prospect ...more
Published December 16th 2015 by Dreamspinner Press

Karen
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Seriously before I say anything else can we just take a moment to admire the cover of this book.

Ok, now as for the story. While I have to agree with several of my friends this is not my favorite Mary Calmes series and honestly I can't say this is my favorite book of the series because that was 'Easy Evenings' but this is a very, very close second.

I absolutely loved Essien and Roark together and the story that was going on here was excellent but like my friend Renee, whose review is far better an
BWT (Belen)
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Fire Chief Essien Dodd moved to Mangrove, Florida with his daughter, Ivy, from Detroit (with a short sting in Miami in between) in order to put big cities and a too-rapid pace of life behind him for a while. Essien has dealt with a lot and is looking for some peace. After moving to Mangrove he sees, and falls for, Pediatrician Roark Hammond.

Roark has deep feelings for Essien, but doesn't want to act on them for a very good reason. I really, really don't want to give anything away here. I know -
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)

No matter how many versions of the same story Mary Calmes writes, no matter how many times she gives different names to almost the same characters, no matter how often she re-uses the same plot, I will always buy her books the second they come out. Whatever the woman did to make us all addicted to her stories worked like a charm. I need her books like I need air to breathe and chocolate and coffee to be a functional human being.

Sleeping ‘til Sunrise is the fifth in Mary’s successful series of
Renée
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Essien Dodd divorced his wife when he couldn't deny his sexuality any longer. They, luckily, maintained a very friendly relationship while raising their daughter. What's a newly-realized-but-never-acted-on-it gay man to do? Oh yes, Essien sowed some oats. However, his ex-wife develops a horribly aggressive cancer, and Essien returns to her side to care for her - and their daughter - full time as she dies.

After both he and his daughter are grieving their loss, they decide to start over in a new t
Ezinwanyi
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Review posted at Oh My Shelves Blog

Essien was a widower raising his daughter Ivy who wants her father to find love again. She tries hooking her dad up with several dates until she settles on their local pediatrician, Dr. Roark. After Ivy’s mother died of cancer, Essien threw himself into work and raising his daughter. Ivy is older now and wants her father to stop hiding, so she maneuvers him towards Roark.
Despite an attraction, Roark avoids Essien at every opportunity until Essien finally pins h
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Nov 17, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m
3.5★'s - I am not a reviewer who uses math to figure out ratings. I actually really hate math and never understand how that works anyway. I am usually pretty straight forward and normally round up. But sometimes I can't. So, this book is getting one of my rare half ★'s.

I am really conflicted. The book had the normal Mangrove charm but there was something about the boys that was missing. I think by the end of the book I had a pretty good grasp on Ess but felt like Roark was still a stranger. I do
Jennifer☠Pher☠
**Audio**

I think I liked it better this go round. My first read seemed like I was a little conflicted.

This did make me very sad this time. I am unsure if I was sad originally but life is not fair and I felt I was chanting that in my head while listening.

No one said it was I guess but it still just sucks.

This seemed to go really fast so I wonder if it was shorter than the others. This one more than the others could use a follow up. Each of these stories gave us a chance to revisit with the couple
CrabbyPatty
A very quick read (ended at 80% with the remaining 20% blurbs for the other books in the Mangrove series). The romance between Essien and Roark is a step or two beyond insta-love so there isn't really an opportunity to get familiar with either MC or to feel any chemistry between them. The story was just too brief, especially since most of the characters in the other Mangrove books appear here (and their backgrounds need to be explained as well).
Rhys Ford
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It was sweet, hot and satisfying. I love Dodd's horror at Ivy's "match-making" but the man needed some loving! I love all of the Mangrove stories but oh, there's something about a man in uniform finding love.
Marte - Thunderella
*** 3 sunrise stars ***

Audio edition, narrator Greg Tremblay.
2 hours 2 minutes

Overall: 3
Performance: 5
Story: 2

An okay continuation of the Mangrove series. It's becoming clear that this is not a series where the point is to read how the main characters get together, but rather how they iron out the details after they get together like bam

It's getting very repetitious.

Ije the Devourer of Books
Jan 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nile Princess
Perfection! Loved this couple, and Ivy was a wonderful character - 14, a little sassy and very outspoken, but never rude. Loved her! The storytelling was witty, romantic, and all around awesome. Loved the cast of characters and the familial feel of the Mangrove community. 5 stars.
farmwifetwo
Jun 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
These books for the most part are very short. They really don't read alone because the characters overlap and the story continues from one to the other. I have a few, but the rest I got via Hoopla so last night I read them one after the other. They flow better that way.
Eleeze
3.75*
Didn't rock my world, but is was good, plus the Mary Calmes formula always entertains me, specially for gym listens.-
Becca
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This has been a wonderful series. I was so happy each one got their happy ending.
Barb ~rede-2-read~
ARC provided by the publisher through Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words in exchange for an impartial review.

Number five in the Mangrove series, this story features sexy fire chief, Essien Dodd. Essien moved to Mangrove when he took the chief position so that his precocious daughter, fourteen-year-old Ivy, would have a safe environment in which to grow up. His ex-wife passed away from cancer during the past year, and he stayed with her and Ivy to care for them until the end. Now he has full cus
Christy
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
“Stop trying to set me up,” I enunciated for her.
“Pardon me?” Her eyes blinking as though she were all innocent sweetness… was a crock. “Stop bringing strange men home.”
She scoffed.
Jesus, what had I just said? “I bet you didn’t think you’d be saying that to me until I was eighteen, huh?”

I really adore these novellas by Mary Calmes, and I would love to live in Mangrove, Florida. Each of the four previous installments have been wonderful, and I was excited to read about Essias and Roarke. The fact
Wax
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mm, own-have
This is probably more of a 4.5 star read, as I didn't find it as great as the first of the series, Blue Days. It can be read as a standalone, but many details of couples and people referenced in previous books would be new and potentially confusing.

Essien Dodd is a nice guy. When presented with an ultimatum, he chose to break up with the man he loved to take care of his ex-wife in her final days as she succumbed to cancer. He also wanted to be there for his daughter who he knew would be relying
Brooklyn
Nov 18, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance-mm
I really liked this book but had to give it three stars instead of four because I felt we were missing part of Essien and Roark's relationship. It's like we jumped in partway through. They already knew each other and had strong feelings for each other. So we basically jumped in just in time to see them get their heads out if their asses and finally get together. But the whole lead up to that was missing.

I really liked seeing Essien's side of this. Usually the author provides the POV of the over
Felicia (Ferishia)
This is the latest (last? I hope not!) book in the Mangrove Stories Series. These book have all been novella stories, which is both good and bad. The good is that you get a really great story, the bad is sometimes, you just want that little bit more. But no matter. Without repeating myself for each of the 5 stories I read, I love them all. They were like short windows into each couples lives but revealed so much! I hope this isn't the last one of the series.
Lila Hunter
3.5 out of 5

My least favorite in the series. The characters had potential, but the plot line made them two-dimensional. The cliches didn't work for this couple, and I didn't believe in their chemistry.
UltraMeital
While I loved the previous installments in the series, this one felt a bit rushed and even in a way "unfinished". It was fun getting almost all the characters from the previous installments in some capacity I just wanted to see more relationship buildup from Essien and Roark. It's not that I didn't like this one, it's more that I wished we got a more solid story and for that we needed more than 90 pages.

Essien Dodd and Roark Hammond have been circling each other for the past six month even since
Yomi Mi Ri
Mar 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
Me ha gustado el desarrollo de la trama y uf, me rompen el corazón un poco pero funcionan muy bien juntos.
T.M. Smith
Feb 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Essien Dodd stood by his ex-wife when she fell ill with cancer, living up to his vows, even after the promise had been rendered null and void. He took the job as Fire Chief in Mangrove hoping to start a new life for himself and his daughter, away from the city and the reminders of the mother Ivy misses. Essien and Ivy quickly made friends and were brought into the "family" circle that is the warm, welcome and loving atmosphere of the small town. Es vowed to remain single and devote all his atten ...more
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

I’ve been looking forward to Essien’s story ever since he made his first appearance with his daughter, Ivy in SULTRY SUNSET. You may remember that I initially thought Hutch might actually get together with Essien but Mary Calmes surprised me instead. That being said, I was thrilled to see that Essien the Fire Chief would get his HEA in SLEEPING ‘TIL SUNRISE.

After his ex wife died, Essien has been the primary caretaker for his daughter. Ivy is as spirited and fun-loving as all of Calmes’ other
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a gentle romance. Essian Dodd, Mangrove’s new fire chief has given up dating to focus on caring for his teenage daughter. Roark Hammond’s cancer diagnosis has made him wary of starting a relationship.

This is one of the later Mangrove stories and I love the growing sense of community in Florida’s most perfect small town. Readers get to catch up with favourite characters from earlier stories while we are given hints about stories yet to come.

In this story, Essian and Roark have great chem
Marc | Rainbow Gold Reviews
Essien and Roark have are names that I might not remember, but they are unique enough to stand apart from other names.

I LOVED Essien's daughter in the previous book, but she had a bigger part in their neignbor's book than in her's father's. Kind of missed her here.

I think the setup was interesting. Essien married the mother of his child, but as a gay man it did not work out and they split amicably. When she became sick, though, he took care of her while she was dying. Now he might get into a sim
Nicci
Dec 18, 2015 rated it liked it
I wonder if I would’ve had better connection to the characters if I had read the previous installments in the Mangrove series.

The story didn’t captivate me at the beginning, as I was clueless about Roark’s strange reactions to Essien. As a doctor, I had expected him to be arrogant, confident, and maybe slightly detached emotionally. The first time I meet Roark I gained this impression of weirdness.

I love Essien and Ivy’s relationship. It’s obvious she has her father wrapped around her little fi
goddessani
Jan 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
  • A Beginner's Guide to Wooing Your Mate (Beings in Love #3)
  • Undeniable Magnetism
  • The Alpha's Desire
  • Fireman's Carry (Carry Me #1)
  • Red Lights and Silver Bells (EMS Heat, #6)
  • The Best Parts (Cade Creek #7)
  • Heat (Firefighters, #1)
  • Add Love and Mix
  • Jesse's Diner (Hope, #2)
  • Lost and Found
  • Beyond the Surface (The Breakfast Club, #1)
  • Set Ablaze (Uniform Encounters, #1)
  • F.A.S.T. Balls (Balls To The Wall, #5)
  • Never Too Early: The Beginning  (Never Too Early, #1)
  • Silver/Steel (Arcada #4)
  • Ballsy (Cocky, #2)
  • Shotgun (Coda Books, #7)
  • Sloe Ride (Sinners, #4)
Mary Calmes believes in romance, happily ever afters, and the faith it takes for her characters to get there. She bleeds coffee, thinks chocolate should be its own food group, and currently lives in Kentucky with a five-pound furry ninja that protects her from baby birds, spiders and the neighbor’s dogs. To stay up to date on her ponderings and pandemonium (as well as the adventures of the ninja) ...more

Mangrove Stories (5 books)
  • Blue Days (Mangrove Stories, #1)
  • Quiet Nights (Mangrove Stories, #2)
  • Sultry Sunset (Mangrove Stories #3)
  • Easy Evenings (Mangrove Stories, #4)