Start by marking “Christmas at the Vicarage” as Want to Read:
Christmas at the Vicarage

Christmas at the Vicarage

It’s been fifteen years since Rosamunde last lived at the vicarage in Potter’s Cove, the pretty coastal village where she grew up, experienced her first true love—and a heartbreak that changed her life forever. But now Potter’s Cove is calling her back: it’s time to make peace with the past and go home.

Rosamunde’s return to the vicarage in the days before Christmas is a wh

Published November 17th 2015 by Lake Union Publishing (first published October 12th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Christmas at the Vicarage, please sign up.
Rebecca Boxall I think if you read the book on a kindle you should be able to adjust the print size. I hope that helps. Best, Rebecca

Start your review of Christmas at the Vicarage
Brenda
4.5s

As Rosamunde’s flight from Perth, Western Australia touched down, she was keen to get to Potter’s Cove, her home not far from London, where she’d fled from fifteen years prior. She knew it was time to return – she badly needed to see her dad, the Vicar, and her sister Rachel who now lived in London. Rosamunde was also looking forward to catching up with her best friend Kizzie. Christmas wasn’t far away, and she knew it would be a rush of festivities, but Rosamunde was looking forward to it.
☼♄Jülie 

I thoroughly enjoyed this nice easy Christmas romance.

When Rosamunde returns home to the Vicarage in the quaint little English coastal village of Potter's Cove, after a fifteen year absence, she finds herself feeling more settled than she expected and becomes quite reluctant to think about her return to the city life.
Her father welcomes her with open arms and encourages her to relax and enjoy her stay for however long it might be.

This is the place where she grew up and where her beloved father,
Helene Jeppesen
I accepted a review copy of this book on NetGalley, and being 25% into it, I have decided to DNF it because of two reasons:
1) The title and the synopsis made me think that this was going to be a cozy Christmas read that would get me in the mood for the holidays. I was sad to realize that half of this book takes place during summer - which does not get me in the mood for Christmas at all.
2) Being 25% into the book I still don't get what the point of it is? Maybe that will be revealed later, but
Alina
Oct 27, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc
ARC kindly provided by Lake Union Publishing.
Review to follow soon.
Kim
Nov 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: net-galley, kindle, 2015, n
This is a beautifully written debut novel by Rebecca Boxall. It’s set in a lovely village in Devon at a picturesque vicarage.
Rosamunde has returned after being away for fifteen years. We follow what led to her leaving and staying away through alternating tales set in the past and the present.
The Christmas feeling flows through the book as Rosamunde catches up with her friend Kizzie and goes shopping with Benedict. It gives you a warm feeling. The cover of the book gives such promise and you eage
Hope
Nov 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: light-reading, dud, dnf
The Lit Bitch
This book was a bit of a disappointment for me. There were plenty of good reviews for this book but for me, I feel like it needed more. For a book that professes to be about Christmas, there was a surprising lack of holiday cheer. Christmas seemed like it was just background noise and I don’t think that it added anything to the over all story or plot. This book could have taken place at any other time of the year and I actually forgot that Christmas was even happening because it so rarely appear ...more
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I have to admit when picking up this book I thought Christmas at the Vicarage would be a nice winter read that would really get me in the mood for Christmas. To be honest though the whole Christmas part actually only felt like a very small part of this story.

Most of the story seems to be dedicated to Rosamunde and her fist love, which to be honest I felt some parts were slightly far fetched. When she does find happiness again I don't feel that enough of the story was dedicated to that relationsh
Vix
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful book, perfect read in the build up to Christmas. A lovely, heartwarming tale but with some unexpected twists..
Suze Lavender
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rosamunde grew up in a vicarage. Bernie, her father, is the vicar of Potter's Cove. Rosamunde left her friends and family behind because of a broken heart and after fifteen years it's time to finally come home. It's close to Christmas and Rosamunde is at the heart of the village's preparations. Seeing her father and friends again brings back a lot of old memories, both happy and sad. Is Rosamunde strong enough to live with them this time and is there a future for her in the village that makes so ...more
Cari
I was seriously tempted to turn on a cheesy Hallmark Christmas movie late last night, but decided to delve into a holiday novel instead, in order to continue pursuing my reading goal upon which I'm seriously behind. While the rational part of me said that I shouldn't get all "deck the halls-y" before we've even carved the turkey, I just really craved the warmth and optimism of a book set at Christmas time.

Christmas at the Vicarage was a perfect choice, as it was probably only set at Christmas f
Lis Carey
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, romance
When publishers specify a font size in ebooks, so that the reader can't adjust it, it makes the book harder to read for many of their intended readers. Being able to adjust the font size is a significant reason to pick ebooks rather than print for many of us, and it's foolish for publishers to pointlessly make the book less readable.

I'm instituting a new policy of mentioning at the start of a review when a publisher, such as Lake Union in this case, does this, and pointlessly makes it harder for
Susan
Nov 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rosamunde has decided to return home to Potter's Cove in Devon after an absence of 15 years. She left following traumatic events and now she thinks she's finally able to face the past and return. She arrives in Potter's Cove at the vicarage to stay with her father. She finds both change and comfort in surroundings she knew and loved as a child. Only time will tell if she will be able to make a new life in Potter's Cove.

This was a warm and delightful read. I especially liked the structure of the
Kathryn
Nov 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, christmas
First sentence: Rosamunde stood calmly at the shoreline.

Favorite quote: 'Excellent, excellent. Just been making sure I can say "vicissitudes" for the service, and I can. My sobriety test,' he chuckled as he disengaged himself from Rosamunde to pop his dog collar on.

The perfect read a few days before Christmas. The story takes place in 2014 and 1978. The chapters are short and well put together each blending together to unfold the story.
Fionna Cairney
Jan 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written and well constructed story by Rebecca Boxall as you can probs see I devoured this in 2 days this is the second book I have read by this author can’t wait to read more of her stuff
Debbie
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Good

This book whilst being joy ful is also quite sad in parts. Worth the read as loved is obtained in different circumstances
Kymm
Christmas at the Vicarage by Rebecca Boxall was a nice entertaining Christmas read. After a fifteen year absence Rosamunde returns to the vicarage at Potters Cove where she grew up, fell in love, and experienced a tragedy. However it's Christmas and time to go back. The weeks before Christmas she's involved with her family, her old friends and all the Christmastime cheer that happens in Potters Cove. Her father is the Vicar and she's missed him and is happy to be back, however the ghosts from th ...more
Vikki Vaught
Oct 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My Musings

What a unique story with complex characters. I was fascinated by the intricacy of the deep emotions in this book. The narrator is absolutely fantastic. She could make a mediocre book seem amazing. I will definitely look other books narrated by her. Happy reading/listening!
Rachel Symmons
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautifully written book

If you love beautifully written stories that make you feel as though you know the characters, then this is the book. What a wonderful gentle story of family and love. It will make you laugh and cry with the characters.
Kim Bell
Jan 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
What a lovely story

What a great read this was from start to finish, the characters were brought to life with great story telling.
Ria
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tis-the-season

I hesitated, unsure of whether to read this or not. Kept it aside always. When I found it on the top position in Amazon list, I decided to give it a whirl. You won't believe it! I was completely engrossed by the story, and kept reading it. In fact, I was searching the google for more books by Rebecca Boxall. And Guess what I found out? It's her DEBUT novel. Wow!

Rosamunde is disturbed by a recurring nightdream. Intrigued by the dream, she decides to return home after fifteen long years. She stays
Carla Johnson-Hicks
This is a romantic Christmas story that I enjoyed. It is the story of Rosamunde and her failed love life. It is told by alternating between the present and her past.

Rosamunde has decided to return home to Potter's Cove in Devon after an absence of 15 years. She left following traumatic events and now she thinks she's finally able to face the past and return. She arrives in Potter's Cove at the vicarage to stay with her father at Christmas time. In the story we meet her sister Rachel who in marr
Jennifer Ritter
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Christmas at the Vicarage is the first novel by Rebecca Boxall. Set in a small town on the Devon, England, coast, this is the story of Rosamunde Pemberton and her homecoming after fifteen years of world wandering. Some times it's homesickness, other times emergencies, but in Rosamunde's case it is a recurring dream that brings her back to Potter's Cove.

When Rosamunde arrives at the vicarage she is warmly greeted by Bernie Pemberton, her father and the vicar. Although the home overall is as she r
Mystica
Nov 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't started on anything for the season and though this was not exactly a Christmas story, it certainly was a story of love, hope, survival and new beginnings which is an equally good Christmas
message.

The writer wrote the story in two time frames (I seem to be reading more and more books like this these days) and one related to Rosamunde as a youngster and then a teenager to the present day time of Rosamunde as a 40 plus. It was a slightly different change to time lines in lots of stories w
Karen Korb
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Thoughts On The Book: Having been to England, Ireland, and Wales I discovered many great authors while plundering around in local book stores. I find that I absolutely adore any book set in the U.K. and I am also a sucker for Christmas novellas, stories, and novels. Between the cover of the book, the setting, and the fact that the word Christmas was in the title I was hooked. I knew I had to read and review this one. At first I thought the book was a slow starter. I could not get into the sto ...more
Carole
Dec 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Christmas at the Vicarage spans three decades of memories for Rosamunde on her return to the small coastal town after travelling around the world for fifteen years. During the build up to Christmas Rosamunde's preparations are intertwined with her memories of the past.

Starting in 2014 and going back and forth in time from 1978 as Rosamunde remembers living in the Vicarage with her sister and father after her mother died. She thinks of her first love, of how her life may have been, if circumstanc
Primrose Jess
Dec 07, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I want to thank Netgalley and Lake Union Publishing for allowing me to read this book in exchange for my honest review.

I had originally requested this book thinking it would put me in the mood for Christmas. I will not lie; you won't find it in this book. Christmas takes backseat to the story of Rosamunde and the series of events 15 years prior that come full circle when she returns home. Rosamunde reflects on the heartaches, coming of age rites, and failed relationships as she savors the tim
Ionia
Nov 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has some really good writing and the story and main character are entertaining enough, but it is certainly not the cosy Christmas read that one would first believe when looking at the cover.

I liked the main character and learning about her life and that of her family, but the swapping back and forth between the present and the past quickly grew tiring. I didn't feel like the author spent enough time in the present and on Rosamunde's current relationship to fill in the romance requirem
Ann Cooper
Nov 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a lovely, gentle read about past loves, current friendships and future relationships. Rosamunde returns to her family home and her father after 15 years' travelling and the book follows her teen and twenties and her first love, interspersed with her life back at the Vicarage.

It is a warm and affectionate look at village life, which was very funny at times - the nativity play being one example. Rosamunde becomes close to her friend Benedict, but feels secure with him because he is gay.

He
Sally Coles
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rosamunde Pemberton has not been home in 15 years following a traumatic time, but she finally starts having a recurring dream that seems to be pulling her home to save someone.

Once back home it seems like she has never been away, her father Bernie the vicar is a lovely warm character, and all her old friends are delighted to see her, and in the run up to Christmas there is plenty to keep her busy.

The story is told in alternating chapters of the past and the present and so we find out what caus
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Christmas with the Cornish Midwives
  • A Christmas Flower
  • A Merry Bramblewick Christmas: A Fabrian Books' Feel-Good Novel
  • Christmas at the Country Practice: A Bramblewick Novel
  • New Doctor at Chestnut House: A Fabrian Books' Feel-Good Novel (Bramblewick Book 1)
  • Summer at the Country Practice (Bramblewick Book 5)
  • Snowflakes over Moondance Cottage
  • Christmas in Vermont: A Very White Christmas
  • Fresh Starts at Folly Farm: A Fabrian Books' Feel-Good Novel (Bramblewick Book 3)
  • The Man Across The Street: An uplifting story of love and hope for 2020 (The Hope Street Series Book 1)
  • Christmas at Wynter House (Wyntersleap series Book 1)
  • Coming Home to Merriment Bay: Part Three: Christmas
  • Christmas at Cuckoo Nest Cottage (Bramblewick Book 6)
  • Snowflakes Over Holly Cove
  • Christmas at the Little Cottage by the Sea
  • The Little Village Christmas
  • Coming Home to Merriment Bay: Part Two: Sparks Fly
  • Magic Under the Mistletoe
Rebecca Boxall was born in East Sussex in 1977 and grew up in a bustling vicarage always filled with family, friends and parishioners. She now lives by the sea in Jersey with her husband, children and cat. She read English at the University of Warwick before training as a lawyer and also studied Creative Writing with The Writer's Bureau. She was nominated for the Romantic Novel Awards in 2020.

Reb

News & Interviews

“Thatchley was so quaint it was the kind of place used by the BBC when it required a suitably old-fashioned station for a period drama.” 0 likes
“She heaved her bags along the platform and bypassed the ticket office, taking the side gate towards the main road.” 0 likes