Start by marking “Not Your Average 5K: A Practical 8-Week Training Plan for Beginning Runners” as Want to Read:
Not Your Average 5K: A Practical 8-Week Training Plan for Beginning Runners

Not Your Average 5K: A Practical 8-Week Training Plan for Beginning Runners

If you've ever tried a Couch to 5K training plan that promised to work for anyone, only to end up quitting after three weeks because it was too hard, this is the book for you.

Building on the concepts taught in the best-selling book Running With Curves, Why You're Not Too Fat to Run and the Skinny on How to Start Today, Jill Angie gives you everything you need to finish yo
Published November 15th 2015 by Difference Press

Cathy Carpenter
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018-read
I haven't run my 5k yet, but this book gave me a great foundation for my physical training regimen as well as some piece of mind mentally about the whole process. I feel well prepared to dig into training and have a successful 5k in two months.
Wendy
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Having run a few 5k and half marathon in the past-trying to re-up my running again...
Heather
May 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very practical

I liked how no-nonsense the instructions were. I agreed with the recommendations. I disagreed with the suggestion that this was helpful for seasoned runners.
Carianne Carleo-Evangelist
An interesting eight week guide but some chapters are repeated verbatim from Running with Curves: Why You're Not Too Fat to Run, and the Skinny on How to Start Today. I'd be disappointed if these were anything but Kindle Unlimited and I had to directly pay for them. I like her case studies of the two runners and which the reader was closer to.
Kelly
Mar 12, 2016 rated it did not like it
Glad I borrowed this for free from the Kindle library because I would have been really mad had I spent money on it. The first 16% of the book was testimonials about how great the book was. When I finally got to the book part, I thought I was getting the actual tips AND the 8 week training plan. Not so. Got a lot of great tips, but nothing I had not already got for free elsewhere. As for the training plan, there was a link in the end where I could go purchase the 8 week plan or any other plan the ...more
Marcy Evick
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Practical and fun

If you are thinking about participating in a 5k and you aren't sure where to start, this is this book for you. No matter your fitness level, shape, or size, Jill Angie will guide you on your way to train for and complete your first 5k, AND she will do it with knowledge, compassion, experience, and a lot of humor! If you already have a 5k or two under your running shoes, this book is still a great reference. Best of all it comes with a link to training plan that is like getting a
Felicia
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
I had high hopes for this book, but in the end, it was kind of a rip off. I bought the ebook, and the first 16% was just positive quotes for the book. The rest is dependent on a 8-week training journal that you're supposed to download from the author's website. At the end of it, you aren't going to actually run a 5k in 8-weeks. You'll run-walk a 5k. There's nothing wrong with that, but be honest about that up front.
Sadie
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Although I have not started running in any way. I read this and her other book "Running with Curves" to get some information before I start. This book is focused on preparing for your first 5k race and she does a great job walking you through all the different things you need to know for race day as well as how to prepare for it. Hopefully with her advice and techniques I can find myself running.
Charisse Jackson
Nov 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The confidence you need to get started

This is a straightforward knowledge book for someone who needs to the ins and outs of beginning running. I definitely recommend this book for beginners.
Jennifer J Lowrey
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very encouraging and practical

This book provides practical steps to get from a to b without feeling overwhelmed. Love the journal and calendar tips.
Melissa
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fitness
Definitely motivational, as it was meant to be. Jill's purpose with this book is quite clear, telling us all it isn't too late to start and every single body type can run.
Michele
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beginners that can walk 3 miles

Thankful for the motivation. Great at removing any mental blocks that keep someone from being successful and finishing a 5K. You can do it!!!
Milena