Start by marking “The Singing Stones” as Want to Read:
The Singing Stones

The Singing Stones

3.78  ·  Rating details ·  1,021 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
It begins one momentous October day when an unexpected letter arrives, inviting Lynn McLeod to the Virginia Blue Ridge home of Stephen Asche, her former husband. Stephen's daughter-by another woman-is troubled and needs her help. Lynn is a clinical psychologist whose work with terminally ill children has brought her a compassion and understanding that may help this little ...more
Published 1991 by Fawcett Crest (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Singing Stones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Singing Stones

Carolyn Hill
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Thought I'd re-read some old Phyllis Whitney romantic suspense to see how she compared to Mary Stewart. The answer is poorly. While this book has a New Age theme and deals with the possibility of reincarnation and past life regression, it feels more like a parlor game treatment. There's no magic here that Mary Stewart knows how to conjure. I liked the use of the setting outside of Charlottesville in the mountains where the 'singing stones' become like the voice of the Greek chorus. Other than th ...more
Nancy
Apr 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
I really dislike not liking a Phyllis Whitney book but this one was not likable.

There's no good reason Lynn should ever have gone to that house considering her history with the family. Then she meets Julian and he seems to be able to talk her into anything. It seems as if the middle of the book is her running to him after every conversation with anyone and getting his opinion of everything said. I got whiplash from her running in and out of his office.

And the way the adults treat Jilly is negle
Kw
May 11, 2015 rated it did not like it
Hated it. All sorts of ridiculous new age gobbledegook - auras, magical stones, living rocks, reincarnation, hypnosis and more. A true testament to the created rather than the Creator.
Just ghastly.
I used to love her books. Haven't read one in years, and won't again. When did she change?
Ma. Julie Bee Unlayao
Jan 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I really "like" the book, not "love" though i enjoyed a lot and it kept me nailed on my seat because the book is really a page turner (believe me). I love the characters especially Lynn (brave, loving and determine), Stephen, Jilly and Mr. Julian as well (mysterious, skeptic and optimistic). The romance between Lynn and Stephen is just plain not boring though, the suspense is not sooo smashing, but the MYSTERY is AMAZING, thought-provoking and very compelling. This is a story of a woman named Ly ...more
melydia
Nov 14, 2008 rated it liked it
My mother gave this to me because it takes place in Charlottesville, Virginia, where I used to live. I imagine she picked it up at a garage sale somewhere in Illinois.

This was a very quick read. The characters are more or less believable, but I was terribly unimpressed with Stephen and therefore Lynn as well. I also thought the ending was kind of forced. I like to be surprised at the identity of the killer in a "wow, I never would have suspected him/her but it all makes sense now" kind of way in
Meghan
Aug 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was my first Phyllis Whitney book. She had been recommended to me because I love Mary Stewart's novels, and so far I am not disappointed. I really enjoy this type of romantic suspense, where setting is so innately connected with the mystery.

I really liked the story, and it definitely captivated my interest. My only complaint, and really the reason the book got knocked down a star, is that I wish it had more interaction with the hero. I feel like a good part of the book was spent with Lynn
Katie W
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Lynn married Stephan young and it ended in divorce--when he met a beautiful, famous dancer. Twelve years later, Lynn is asked to come and help his daughter, Jilly, because of her work with terminally ill children. Jilly isn't dying, yet she is. She holds a secret and has to deal with the fact that no one seems to care or can help her.

Lynn was young and seemed to try and please others, more than herself at first. But as the story jumps to the future, she really is a strong woman. She isn't afraid
Sue
Jun 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
Ah, Phyllis Whitney. Her novels are one of life's simple pleasures: romantic mystery sans blood, gore, sex, and language. What better for some mind-candy fun? Yes, her novels are somewhat formulaic, but part of the fun is always the setting. Her novels are set in interesting locales that often become a character themselves. I like books with a strong setting; I guess that's how I get to travel, so I've been all over the world with Phyllis. The stones that sing are a an integral part of the story ...more
Dayna Smith
Nov 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another hit by the acknowledged master of romantic suspense. I have loved Whitney for over 30 years and would highly recommend everything she has ever written. This book is no exception. Lynn McLeod is a child psychologist who has been asked to treat the daughter of her ex-husband. Jilly was traumatized after witnessing a murder and fall that crippled her father. As usual the killer is never who you think and Whitney's loonies are truly loony. Score another one for Whitney lovers everywhere. Adu ...more
Sabine Lyons
Jul 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
I am a fan of Phyllis Whitney, one of my favorites is "The Stone Bull." Once again I was not disappointed by this book. It had very human characters for the most part whom I could easily relate to. There were a couple I thought were not quite as believeable, but overall they came alive in the story for me. The plot of the book was also very suspenseful and I felt had an unexpected twist. A great read.
Adriana
Sep 30, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The writing is good, but I had too many issues with the characters and how things played out to even go into it. A shame because I liked the suspense of the whodunit part of the story, but the New Age parts got to be a bit too much for me. This is weird because I’m totally on board with the power of crystals and karma, but it relies too much on a belief of past lives and letting things flow for it to really be believable.
Harvee
Jul 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable mystery with nice descriptions of the Blue Ridge mountains in fall, descriptions of a hot air balloon ride, and a journey into hypnosis for past recall. All skillfully woven into a mystery plot about a troubled young girl who has nightmares remembering an accident and a possible murder involving her father.
Melinda
May 31, 2015 rated it did not like it
Very new agey weird stuff. Reincarnation, lots of talk about karma and fate, and an unconvincing romance renewed with a scumbag cheating man who never shows any remorse. I suppose cheating on your spouse can be excused if the fates decree it.
Delissca
Aug 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Not the best of Phyllis Whitney. The characters were flat. I didn't connect with them at all. There was alot of mystery in this novel, but I just really didn't care about it. There was not one character I connected with or cared about. That, for me, is what a book come alive.
Jenn
Nov 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Read these in jr high, so they're like my first love. Ms Whitney was a treasure. Her books always took me to the places she wrote about, and for a kid trapped in a tiny backwater town that was a wonderful gift for which I'll always be grateful.
Melissa
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My very first favorite author - I have all her books -- been reading these for years
Lauren
Apr 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: gothic, romance
I absolutely love gothic romances with all of the mystery and the strong female characters. Phyllis A. Whitney is an amazing author incorporating an unforgettable story with amazing characters.
Michelle
Dec 26, 2010 rated it it was ok
O.K., TOO New Age, good plot
Lesley
May 05, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, gothic

I forced myself to finish this book. Plot was slow and plodding and characters were uninteresting.
Erica
Jul 14, 2015 rated it liked it
The ending seemed Sudden
Roslyn Glynn
Oct 04, 2007 rated it really liked it
Light read....exciting mystery
Julie Martin
Love these romantic suspence novels.
Jane Drager
Apr 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Phyllis always write well. She writes mainly in the first person and has a knack for holding a reader's interest.
Barbara Woodford
Apr 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Kept me on edge throughout the book. Totally unexpected ending. Enjoyed it!
Diane Wachter
HB-B @ 1990, 10/99. A clinical psychologist receives a letter asking her to help the troubled young daughter of her ex-husband. A novel about reincarnation and destiny. Okay.
Breezy
Aug 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Kate
Jan 30, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-unowned
Creepy! But good.
Karen
Nov 13, 2014 rated it liked it
I felt like reading one of the old mystery/romance books I used to enjoy. Still pretty good, in spite of not having all the twist and turns that so many stories have these days.
Brenda
Aug 29, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I like a good romance/suspense story.
  • Snare of Serpents
  • Winterwood
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear
More about Phyllis A. Whitney

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• A Quiet Life In The Country (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #1)
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Deliver Her
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dark Monk (The Hangman's Daughter, #2)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Rain Girl (Franza Oberwieser, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Silent Harmony (Fairmont Riding Academy, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Shuddering
  • The Unseeing
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The 7th Canon
  • The Sisterhood
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Question of Inheritance (A Very English Mystery #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Hunt (Atlanta Burns, #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Good Neighbor
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Widow File (Dani Britton, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Cater Street Hangman (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Shark Skin Suite (Serge Storms #18)
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Atlanta Burns (Atlanta Burns #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Free Fall (The John Ceepak Mysteries)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Interference
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Man of Some Repute (A Very English Mystery #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In The Market For Murder (Lady Hardcastle Mysteries #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beggar King (The Hangman's Daughter, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The Poisoned Pilgrim (The Hangman's Daughter, #4)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • As The Crow Flies (DI Nick Dixon #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • End of Secrets
    $4.49 $0.99
  • Sun Storm (Rebecka Martinsson, #1)
  • Only the Rain
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Eagle Has Landed (The Liam Devlin Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Red Herring Without Mustard (Flavia de Luce, #3)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Dressmaker's Dowry
  • The Lost Ones
  • The Halo Effect
  • The God's Eye View
  • What She Knew
  • Everyone Pays
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Werewolf of Bamberg (The Hangman's Daughter, # 5)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • The 7th Victim: A Novel: Volume 1 (The Karen Vail Novels)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Shattered Tree (Bess Crawford, #8)
  • The Dante Club