Start by marking “Hogs Wild: Selected Reporting Pieces” as Want to Read:
Hogs Wild: Selected Reporting Pieces

Hogs Wild: Selected Reporting Pieces

"A master of both distilled insight and utter nonsense" (The Believer), Ian Frazier is one of the most gifted chroniclers of contemporary America. Hogs Wild assembles a decade's worth of his finest essays and reportage, and demonstrates the irrepressible passions and artful digressions that distinguish his enduring body of work.

Part muckraker, part adventurer, and part
Published June 7th 2016 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published June 1st 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Hogs Wild, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hogs Wild

Start your review of Hogs Wild: Selected Reporting Pieces
Judy
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent set of essays/short articles. I enjoyed his writing much more here than that of the last book I read about traveling through the most northerly inhabited places.
Danny
Jun 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good collection of "essays" (mostly magazine articles?) by an author with whom I was previously unfamiliar. Frazier's pieces are all written first-person, usually involving him giving a direct account of the people and places he is reporting on. He tackles a wide variety of subjects from homelessness and opioid addiction to the growing feral hog population. All but one or two were fascinating, despite the seemingly random assortment of topics. Many pieces are based in New York City and he ...more
Debbie
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, essays
This collection of essays/long format articles addresses a variety of topics such as hunger, homelessness, the environment, the opioid crisis, and even feral hogs. What made them so informative and compelling to read was that the author focused on the individuals who are working on creative solutions to many of the problems facing us today, and that gives me hope for the future.
Jim
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I consider myself pretty well-read, but until about a month ago, I'd never heard of Ian Frazier. But, by chance I saw his earlier work "Gone to New York: Adventures in the City" in the local library, gave it a read, and was highly impressed with his work, so I added some other titles of his to my list.

He is an excellent writer, and can convey despair and absurdity with equal care.
Kaleigh
This book was an interesting read: there were some stories I found well-written and riveting, and others I found myself zoning out and wondering why there was so much detail.
Over-all, this book was good, and a deviation from what I would ordinarily read.
Cat.
Jun 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These were a lot of fun to read, but I can't finish the book. I've had it from the library for almost six weeks and I'm just not in the right head-space for it.
The wild pigs essay was delightful, however.
Adrian
Oct 19, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took me two years to read this, which is ok. Basically, it’s just a collection of his New Yorker stores I had probably read them already. Pick up Travels in Siberia instead.
Jeff
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Essays about homeless populations in New York, wild hogs, horseshoe crabs, etc. Quality writing but he content was generally not that enthralling. Imagine ‘this American life’ with more science.

Kristin Evans
Normally I like these kinds of books. Ian Frazier is a good writer and I enjoyed some of the pieces.
As a whole, though, it wasn't one of my favorites.
Olga Vannucci
Sep 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nature running wild, and
People too, on Staten Island,
Plus hogs and carp and fungus,
all in abundance.
Barbara Q
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a collection of pieces previously published in Mother Jones, The New Yorker, The Atlantic Monthly and Outside magazines. It's an eclectic mix and all fascinating (to me anyway). Mr. Frazier writes of the homeless in NYC, security at tough hip-hop and rap clubs, feral hogs, Irving Berlin and his wife, the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy, of a river guide on the Deschutes in Oregon, the death of Hattie Carroll, Asian carp, meteorites, Strandbeests in the Netherlands..... I am never bored, and ...more
Kenzie Townsend
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like essays and long format articles like the New Yorker before it became a classy staple. I like the author's writing it is as if he's sitting across from you. Sure, there are some breaks for quick explanations but it has a nice flow of many different topics. Maybe, like a neighbor trying to show you every travel photo on their iPhone but way more interesting. He captures a lot of America and just displays it like a nice picture. Hung there, at the end of a long hallway so everything comes ...more
John Benson
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have always enjoyed Ian Frazier's writing. These pieces bring out his curiosity, more than his usual humor, though it is in them, but more subtely. Most of the pieces take place around New York City and help us understand the city better. I liked the variety of topics in the essays. One of his stronger books, but he is a writer you can depend on for good writing.
Hal
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this one started off very strong, and then sort of dragged on, even though I like his literary asides and turns of phrase. It's a pretty long book. It probably would've been better to just read one essay per week, but it's a library book, so what can you do.
Jim
Oct 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I guess I was expecting humor here, so I was a little disappointed, but he is a good writer. Many of the reports were interesting, though a few I just skipped over because they didn't appeal. Many touched on aspects of our generation, and those I liked best.
Marsmannix
just gave up. interesting but not compelling
vgy
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some 3s,some 4s, but more 4s than 3s.
Fussnik
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book. want to read everything he has written. funny. informative. go get it.
Jane
I didn't read every single essay, but I did enjoy the ones I read. I think my favorite was about the "hip hop cop".
Lee
Nov 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ian Frazier asks good questions, observes well, and writes engagingly on a fascinating variety of topics. This collection focuses primarily on people and places in the eastern United States.
Ryan
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
outstanding, esp the stories about seals, Asian carp, and hurricane aftermath in Staten Island.
Phyllis
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some great pieces on topics around east coast.
Lloyd Fassett

• Snow, Glass, Apples
  • The Last Best Kiss
  • To Best the Boys
  • Ordinary Girls
  • The Third Coast: Sailors, Strippers, Fishermen, Folksingers, Long-Haired Ojibway Painters, and God-Save-the-Queen Monarchists of the Great Lakes
  • Wives and Daughters
  • The Legend of Colgan Toomey
  • Carsick: John Waters Hitchhikes Across America
  • More Minds (Minds, #2)
  • Frat Girl
  • In Patagonia
  • The Night Country
Ian Frazier (b.1951) is an American writer and humorist. He is the author of Travels in Siberia, Great Plains, On the Rez, Lamentations of the Father and Coyote V. Acme, among other works, all published by Farrar, Straus and Giroux. He graduated from Harvard University. A frequent contributor to The New Yorker, he lives in Montclair, New Jersey.