Start by marking “Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely” as Want to Read:
Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely

Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  18,518 ratings  ·  1,550 reviews
The enemy wants us to feel rejected . . . left out, lonely, and less than. When we allow him to speak lies through our rejection, he pickpockets our purpose. Cripples our courage. Dismantles our dreams. And blinds us to the beauty of Christ’s powerful love.

In Uninvited, Lysa shares her own deeply personal experiences with rejection—from the incredibly painful childhood a
Published August 9th 2016 by Thomas Nelson

To ask other readers questions about Uninvited, please sign up.
Karin Reese any of Brene Brown's books, particularly "I Thought It Was Just Me" and "The Gifts of Imperfection." Ms. Brown has extensively researched shame and…moreany of Brene Brown's books, particularly "I Thought It Was Just Me" and "The Gifts of Imperfection." Ms. Brown has extensively researched shame and vulnerability. The first book I listed was particularly eye-opening to help me see how much shame I was carrying and help me start figuring out ways to work through it. I have recommended her books often!(less)

·  18,518 ratings  ·  1,550 reviews

Start your review of Uninvited: Living Loved When You Feel Less Than, Left Out, and Lonely
Rachel B
This book was a little unfocused. It seemed to touch on every topic and yet not really say anything. To sum it up, "God loves you, so you should live your life feeling loved. If you don't feel loved, that's a problem. The solution? Know that God loves you." Which isn't wrong - it's just incredibly simplistic and not overly helpful.

TerKeurst also took a few verses out of context and read into Bible stories a bit more than I believe is wise. There were a few good nuggets, but nothing t
Callie
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2016
2/5 stars.

So, I'm just going to go ahead and give you the bottom line right from the start - I was rather disappointed in this book.

I read The Best Yes by Lysa Terkheurst a while ago, and I really found it helpful, so I thought I'd pick up her new book. I generally think that Terkheurst is a good writer, but this book really fell flat for me, I think for a few reasons.

1. This was not a great time in my life to read this book. I was trying to remember my own pa
Rosie
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Oh my stars.

I wish I could have had this book a couple years ago. It would have saved me so much hurt. But I didn't, and that's okay. God brought me through and helped me work through it. In her book, Mrs. TerKeurst walks through how to overcome the pain of past or present rejection, and how to in turn live loved. If you've ever tasted that bitter sting of being rejected, I strongly recommend you pick this book up. As she points out, not tending to these wounds just allow a seed of b
Donella
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just What I needed

This book touched me so personally that I am in tears. It was like the author was speaking directly to me.
Amber
Oct 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those "highlight every other sentence and re-read every month" type books. I think everyone who has ever walked the earth has dealt with rejection in one form or another. Rejection can be devastating and crippling. It is so easy to be consumed by it, to allow it to change who we are and what we think about ourselves. I am a big fan of Lysa's but the way she walks through this book and how to process and grow from rejection is beautiful. I highly recommend this book for everyone.
Brandice
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was great. I'd never heard of it but stumbled across it on display at the bookstore. Parts of it were incredibly relatable for me - some very familiar feelings and actions. It gave me a lot to think about.
Nikki
Oct 30, 2016 rated it it was ok
This is not a Gospel driven book. Many Christian women authors today seem to want to use our depravity to make sure we know we're not alone and almost make us feel okay about our feelings, however ungodly they may be. This book is no exception to that. While there were a few chapters that spoke to me, by the end, I just wanted so badly for her to use my sinfulness, my depravity, my "lonely, left out feelings" to remind me of why I need Christ and drive me toward self-forgetfulness and gospel cen ...more
If you have ever felt rejected, left out, cast aside or even simply feel unloved at times, this book will have something that will help you feel loved and will help your emotional pain heal as you learn to accept God's love for you and his forgiveness. This was an easy read and I loved how organized the book was. I would recommend buying the hardcopy because at the end of the book, Lysa listed all of the important bible verses that were used in each chapter and also made another section that lis ...more
Stephanie
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
My feelings about Uninvited can best be summed up with a dispassionate "meh, it was alright." Lysa TerKeurst's writing style didn't do much for me and the chapters felt a little disjointed and unfocused. I did like the overall message the book was trying to convey, but the way that message was flushed out was disappointing and, if I'm being totally honest, forgettable. This isn't a book that will stay with me or that I'll refer back to in years to come. Judging from the glowing reviews here on GoodReads, ...more
Jill
Oct 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you have ever felt rejected, I would recommend this book. I've been dealing with feeling left out, duped, and, well, uninvited lately. This book was a good reminder that a lot of the feelings we deal with right now are tied to things that happened in the past, and that God never rejects us. I plan on buying my own copy so I can highlight and mark it up good.
Crystalyn
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I skipped many paragraphs. Her writing style doesn't captivate me and to be honest, her experience of being rejected didn't compare to the depths of what many of us experience. I appreciate the concept, though. But I was disappointed. This is the third book of hers that I have read and haven't been captivated. I think the cover art was pretty and the title and subject matter is what made we want to read it.
Kara Neal
Skip it

There were some good things in this book. There really were. But my overall takeaway is that this writer seems awfully petty and fixated on herself much of the time. Another sticking point for me is that she seems to believe God speaks to her personally. Scripture doesn't support that. Looking into her church, pastor, and theology, I'd suggest to proceed with discernment. Test the spirits.
Kris
Rather fluffy and cliche in the beginning, but it did get better, as my friend said it would. I must admit that there are thought-provoking pieces of advice in here, despite the book's weak structure and lackluster writing style. I can see how it would be of great help to some. But it just didn't strike a chord with me. The whole thing was wrapped in too many layers of cheesiness.
Serethiel ☽ ✨

THIS BOOK, Y'ALL.

Lysa TerKeurst delivers such a heartfelt address on rejection, chatting with the reader and sharing hilarious anecdotes as if she's basically your bestie. Uninvited delivers the eye-opening message that it's perfectly natural to feel the sharp ache of rejection... but also gently presents advice on how we can rest in God's eternal embrace throughout it. <3
Nova
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was ok
The positive reviews had me thinking that this would be an excellent read. I was very excited. This is the first time I've ever read a Lysa Terkeurst book, and I just can't give it anything higher than two stars.

For the first few chapters, I was very drawn in to this read. After a while, though, it seemed like something was missing. I had quite a few issues with this book, but I'll list only my main concerns. 1) It's jumpy, going from one topic to the next and doesn't seem to carry a common thr
Christina Claypool
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
When a book comes along at just the right time, it can be a double blessing. Lysa TerKeurst's "Uninvited..." came along at the perfect moment for me.

If we're honest, there are times when we all feel rejected, and less than. Many of us, like Lysa so adeptly writes about, have childhood issues which we can hold onto, if we're not careful. As an author and role model, she is transparent in a sensitive and challenging way, using herself as an example that there is a wonderful freedom God
Lisa
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
I debated between giving this 2 or 3 stars. I was drawn in by the title and subject matter, but didn't feel the book delivered on its promises. I wasn't captivated by the writing and actually skimmed some parts. This was the first book I've read by this author. I was hoping for more- more depth, more personal stories, more connection... just more.
Brooke — brooklynnnnereads

I think the lower rating of this book is mainly attributed to my experience and the pacing of my reading, compared to the content. 3.5 stars is in by no means a bad rating, but I think I would have given this book a higher rating if I meditated and digested on the content more.

When I picked this book up, I thought it was at the perfect time as I was struggling with a lot of the issues that it discusses. However, I was in more of a mood to just ‘read’ and because of that I d
Sher❤ The Fabulous BookLover
Have you ever looked through someone else’s prescription glasses and even though it’s perfect for them it’s a blurry mess for you? That’s how I feel when I read Lysa’s books.

For the life of me I couldn’t connect with this book! Perhaps it’s because I’m not feeling rejected or uninvited. Or it could be because, like most of this authors books, her books are very unfocused.

I’m always about learning and keeping a solid foundation in my relationship with Jesus. And even though I may not be feeling rejected
Stephanie
Jul 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I always enjoy Lysa's writing. It is so honest. This book did not disappoint.

Lysa lets the reader look into her own insecurities to teach the reader lessons when we feel rejected. She gives lots of personal stories and plenty of scripture for the reader to hide in her heart. "Live from the abundant pace that you are loved, and you won't find yourself begging others for scraps of love" is one of the author's quotes that I feel sums up the point of the book. Highly recommend.
Amie Walker
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
This was the first book I have read by Lysa. Unfortunately, I wasn't impressed. I felt like her chapters were unfocused and really didn't get very deep into the topic of rejection. It was very "fluffy" and I was looking for more biblical truths than what she presented. Plus, if I had to hear about her thighs or body image issues one more time I would've simply put the book down.
Kimberly Dawn
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The messages in this book for women by a Christian writer are beautiful and healing. Really though, you don’t have to be especially beaten, battered or rejected to relate to this book. Life is difficult, as M. Scott Peck wisely said, and the sooner we accept that the less difficult it becomes.
At best, life is a beautiful struggle.
Shantelle

I read Uninvited with my ladies' Bible study group. It was really good, and so much of it extremely relevant for me! I found some awesome and inspiring quotes, and a lot of thought-provoking concepts in this book. Though some parts were kind of glum-feeling, truly Uninvited continually pointed back to Christ. And finding love and security in Him. It was beautiful.

I certainly recommend to any woman who has struggled with insecurity, rejection, or the like.

"It's not about you becoming anythin/>"It's
Tracy S
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was so good because everyone can relate to the feeling of being left out, unwanted, rejected, or unloved at some point in their lives by others, even those close to us. Many of us know we are loved by Jesus, but how many of us live like we are loved by him every second of our lives? This book has practical tips for how to "live loved" through every season and every aspect of our lives. It has wonderful scripture references as well to keep us focused on the truth. We are loved by Jesus, ...more
royaevereads
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
This book is good for a bit of self discovery - thinking about why you feel uninvited or rejected in certain situations. It gives suggestions of how you should change your mindset with scriptural references. However, it didn’t give anything in the way of practical advice. I also felt the title was a little misleading as only one or two small sections related to the feeling of being left out in social situations, and that’s what I was interested in. Most of the book was dealing more with one on o ...more
Schuyler
Sep 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
While I'm not suffering from a deep and traumatic relationship break-up, I was in need of fresh reminders of God's sustaining love when I picked up this book. I think what I most appreciated about Lysa's book was the truth it gave me about God's power, sustenance, and love. As Lysa says on pg. 23, we need our minds braced by truth. My own mind feels weary right now, so I need more time in the words of God, and the life that he gives through Scripture. Throughout Uninvited, I was comforted by the ...more
Jeanie
Jan 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
I've been hurt by rejection and started believing lies about my God and who I am in Him-I deny myself the protection of His truth. And my search for love and acceptance outside of God's presence then leads to dangerous places.

Rating 3.5

TerKeurst is a wonderful writer who expresses herself with vulnerability and rawness. The pain of rejection can spill out in our lives in many different ways and the damage it does can leave us spiritual immature and lacking. Does this only apply to s
Joan
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is, by far, the best book I have ever read on rejection. TerKeurst writes from experience. Her depth of empathy is refreshing. The practical suggestions she gives are inspiring.

There are many who feel they have been rejected by their father and this book is specifically great for this issue. TerKeurst is painfully honest with her own contemporary feelings and their roots in past experience. Those who have experienced rejection with certainly relate.

While that aspect
Amanda
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I was expecting this book to tackle feeling "unloved","less than", "left out", and "lonely" but it seemed to focus primarily on rejection. I'm not sure whether I was in the right season of life to receive what TerKeurst had to offer. If she had written more about the topics in her byline, I think I could have better gotten behind her message.

However, I was able to gleam several nuggets of wisdom that TerKeurst had to share.

“Feelings are broken boards. Only truth is solid, unchaining
Christian Ladies ...: The Schedule 4 29 May 18, 2017 03:53PM
Uninvited - have you started it? 1 20 Dec 19, 2016 11:45AM

• Present Over Perfect: Leaving Behind Frantic for a Simpler, More Soulful Way of Living
  • Love Does: Discover a Secretly Incredible Life in an Ordinary World
  • Everybody, Always: Becoming Love in a World Full of Setbacks and Difficult People
  • Wild and Free: A Hope-Filled Anthem for the Woman Who Feels She is Both Too Much and Never Enough
  • Looking for Lovely: Collecting the Moments that Matter
  • Girl, Wash Your Face: Stop Believing the Lies about Who You Are So You Can Become Who You Were Meant to Be
  • Jesus Calling: Enjoying Peace in His Presence
  • Redeeming Love
  • 5 Habits of a Woman Who Doesn't Quit
  • Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life
  • The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery
  • Own Your Everyday:  Overcome the Pressure to Prove and Show Up for What You're Made to Do
  • Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World
  • Women of the Word: How to Study the Bible with Both Our Hearts and Our Minds
Lysa TerKeurst is president of Proverbs 31 Ministries and the New York Times best-selling author of Univited, The Best Yes, Unglued, Made to Crave, and 18 other books. Her newest book, It’s Not Supposed to be This Way, is scheduled for release in November of 2018. Lysa was recently awarded the Champions of Faith Author Award and has been published in multiple publications such as CNN and Fox News ...more
“Rejection steals the best of who I am by reinforcing the worst of what’s been said to me.” 50 likes
“God’s love isn’t based on me. It’s simply placed on me. And it’s the place from which I should live . . . loved.” 49 likes