Start by marking “When Death Draws Near (Gwen Marcey #3)” as Want to Read:
When Death Draws Near (Gwen Marcey #3)

When Death Draws Near (Gwen Marcey #3)

4.33  ·  Rating details ·  311 Ratings  ·  104 Reviews
Gwen Marcey takes death in stride. Until she’s faced with her own mortality.

Forensic artist Gwen Marcey is between jobs when she accepts temporary work in Pikeville, Kentucky—a small town facing big-city crime. But before Gwen can finish her first drawing of the serial rapist who is on the loose, the latest witness vanishes. Just like all the others.

Gwen suspects a connect
Published August 2nd 2016 by Thomas Nelson

Matt
Jun 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Carrie Stuart Parks, and Thomas Nelson for providing me with a copy of this book, which allows me to provide you with this review.

In her latest forensic thriller, Parks brings Gwen Marcey back for another adventure, well out of her comfort zone. After accepting a brief job in rural Kentucky, Marcey arrives to help the Pike County sheriff with a serial rapist. Marcey interviews the latest victim in hopes of getting enough to provide a forensic s
Carrie Schmidt (Reading is My SuperPower)
I’m going to start this review with a sentence I never thought I’d have occasion to say.

If you enjoy Cynthia Ruchti’s books, you’ll enjoy this thriller by Carrie Stuart Parks.

Let me explain. One of the main reasons (out of several) that I consider Cynthia Ruchti one of my favorite authors is the voice she gives to her characters’ inner dialogue. It speaks my sense of humor and makes me laugh even when I’ve already gone through a pack and a half of tissues on a particular book.

Carrie Stuart Parks
Cara Putman
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. The prologue threw me a bit, but man once the story started, I was hooked! Gwen is a great character, and the suspense and mystery were great! Loved, loved, loved this book!

I love a good suspense. If it has interesting characters, a great career, and a plot that keeps me reading, I'm hooked! That's exactly what happened with When Death Draws Near. I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books in the Gwen Marcey series, and this one takes it one step further. Her personal l
Heather Gilbert
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
4.5 stars. Looking forward to the next one!
Christian Fiction Addiction
Aug 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Carrie Stuart Parks offers up another enjoyable novel with her latest, "When Death Draws Near", a book that kept me turning the pages from start to finish. I have greatly enjoyed watching Gwen in her job of forensic artist in the first two instalments in the series, so I was glad to see her return in a whole different kind of mystery as she goes undercover with a group of snake handlers! Gwen is one of those characters who you just can't get enough of, as she shows herself to be so strong in the ...more
Katie
Feb 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
I waited for a while to start this because I wanted to read the second book first. But it didn't seem to matter. After reading the fjrst book, I was intrigued with the series but not overly impressed. However, this book impressed me. I couldn't read fast enough as I tried to figure out the connection between the serial rapist and the snake handling church and who the bad guy was! The suspense was twisty and creepy (just how I like it) and I didn't fully figure out the bad guy. they were on my sh ...more
Ronie
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Carrie Stuart Parks is amazing in this latest Gwen Marcey novel. With a deft stroke, she pens a novel that is compelling and haunting. I could not read it fast enough. Her characters are rich and deep. Her plot is--well, quite frankly--nightmare-inducing. It's been a long time since a novel gave me nightmares, but this one did. It's THAT GOOD! I love the many characters who easily fit the suspect, and the inimitable Gwen Marcey, who's never one to give up. And the ending--yep, she got one over o ...more
Holly
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
WOW OWOW!! Full review coming soon
Vera mallard
Aug 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WHEN DEATH DRAWS NEAR; STORY LINE:

Gwen Marcey, forensic artist, is back in action in When Death Draws Near, book 3 of the Gwen Marcey stories. Pikeville, Kentucky is the center of murder, accidents, and rapes; then, there are the Pentecostal Snake Handlers to add spice. Gwen's job in Pikeville is to render a drawing of the latest victim. What starts as a simple case spirals out of control into much worse. Gwen finds her cancer has returned, her ex-husband is still a controlling conniving jerk wh
Julia Wilson
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
When Death Draws Near by Carrie Stuart Parks is a contemporary Christian thriller. It is the third book in the Gwen Marcey series but can be read as a stand-alone. I had not read the previous novels.
When Death Draws Near's style is reminiscent of the 1950's film noir and I loved it. The novel is written in the first person from the point of view of Gwen. As the novel progressed, in my head, it felt like the voice over in the old black and white Philip Marlowe films. I found it a very clever and
Kelly Bridgewater
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have thoroughly enjoyed both of Carrie Stuart Parks first books in the Gwen Marcey series A Cry from the Dust and The Bones Will Speak. Both stories take a past cancer survivor and throw her in the perils of danger. With the addition of When Death Draws Near, I felt that Parks does a good job tying this story in with the other two.

Parks writes her novels in the first person point of view. This is a hard perspective to write the story in because as an author, they might want to jump around int
Fiction Aficionado
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm really enjoying this series. I’ve always been a fan of detective fiction, and although Gwen Macey isn’t technically a detective, she uses her skills in forensic art (drawing and analysing facial features) and statement analysis to help investigate the cases she’s called into. Author Carrie Stuart Parks has drawn on her own real life experience in creating Gwen’s character, and I have to admit my nerdy side geeks out a little at the glimpses we get into this highly specialised area of forensi ...more
Amanda Geaney (Christian Shelf-Esteem)
Joining the Litfuse WHEN DEATH DRAWS NEAR blog tour w/a book review & #giveaway {http://prmo.me/bBJTG4} http://christianshelfesteem.wordpress...

When Death Draws Near by Carrie Stuart Parks made me want to draw the blinds when I was home alone and check the covers before I crawled into bed. It wouldn’t say it was scary, but the crime element of the story did rattle me a little.

In A Cry from the Dust, the first book of this series, the scandal revolved around a Mormon cult. This time Gwen Marc
Aug 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016
This book provided some very interesting insight into some unusual practices involving snakes in church. I had never heard of this practice and was fascinated and kind of horrified to read about this. I despise snakes, they are my least favorite animal and the thought of them makes me cringe, so this book was difficult to read at parts. There are many scenes that are gruesome and creepy but also kept me on the edge of my seat.

Throughout the book you are with Gwen, a forensic artist, who was call
Amy Bradsher
Aug 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
If you're a fan of criminal suspense books, like those of Terri Blackstock, you'll want to read Parks' latest "When Death Draws Near." It has all the action and suspense of a murder mystery but the drama like you'd find on the big screen. The combination can't be easy to pull off, and yet Parks wrote so many twists and turns into her story that she kept me guessing until the very last page.

Gwen isn't your typical leading lady. She's not super young, super rich, or super pretty. In fact, she's di
Mark
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is only the third book by Parks, and I have enjoyed all three and have found myself wishing she had more books out there to read. This one may be her best yet, and is one I didn't want to put down. The plot and story line were really great, and I found the whole snakes being used in worship thing fascinating. Even though I still think people who do that are nuts, I understand it a little more after reading this novel.

I have never been - and will never be - a big fan of first person point o
Rachel
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I can't recall ever before reading a mystery written from the point of view of an artist who does facial reconstructions for law enforcement. That was such a unique and cool angle to look at cases from, in and of itself, but add in an Appalachian setting, and you know I was hooked. Though the rest of the series doesn't take place in Appalachia, I'm hoping my library has the previous books, because I also quite liked the protagonist, forensic artist Gwen Marcey.

Marcey gets called in by the sherif
Susan Sleeman
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I love forensics and nothing more interesting to me than a forensic artist. It’s even more exiting to know the author, Carrie Stuart Parks, is a forensic artist as it adds such authenticity to the Gwen Marcey Series.

The joy in this series for me continues to be provided by the relatable and unique Gwen Marcey. She has a unique sense of humor, personal problems that we all can sympathize with, and a unique profession. You can’t help but cheer as she makes a step forward in her struggle with cance
Ellen White
Dec 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
WHEN DEATH DRAWS NEAR by Carrie Stuart Parks. Haven't read her books before, can now see why others rate her so highly. A forensic artist out of a job, goes to a small town in Kentucky to help them. A rapist is on the loose, and the victims are disappearing. Before she can get a drawing to help them get the person. Snake handlers, going undercover, choices she makes in this case. The novel is written in first person, and the compelling story begins at the first page. Characters are very well dev ...more
Staci
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Carrie Stuart Parks has a unique style and one that has improved with each book in the Gwen Marcey Series.

Forensic Artist Gwen Marcey is a middle aged, divorced, cancer survivor with a teenage daughter. She is low on funds and takes on a job in Kentucky that involves exposure to snakes. Creepy.

Gwen talks to herself quite a bit, which is comical. Her daughter is a typical teenager that is into electronics and finds nothing cool about her mom.

When Death Draws Near was an enjoyable suspense novel
Cyndi
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kept me guessing!

Carrie Stuart Parks scores another hit with When Death Draws Near! She kept me guessing until the very end with edge-of-your-seat action and suspense with touches of humor! Add to that the message that I took away... to not look at things & people the way everyone else does... and she has a winner! Highly recommended!
Karen
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such a great book. I love the Gwen Mercy series. Gwen is such a strong character who always finds a way both into and out of trouble. The writing and the story line in this one will captivate you until the very end. Great read. *I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.*
Evangeline
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: default, giveaways
I received this book in a giveaway. I do not normally buy mysteries, but this one quickly drew me in. It was full of suspense and kept me guessing to the very end. Thank you, Carrie Stuart Parks, for a copy of your book and for a job well done.
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I won this off of Goodreads and am so happy I did! I liked it right from the beginning and finished it in a couple of days. The author wrote about some pretty controversial issues and I came out LOVING HER!
Linda White
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
True confessions: I found myself slipping away from my husband's family reunion so I could turn a few more pages in this book! Interesting setting, good characters, and great suspense with a twist I never anticipated. Read it, even if you have to confess later!
Jul 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! I love this entire series, but I think this is the best one yet. The next book can't come out fast enough!
Janka H.
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another page turner from Carrie Stuart Parks!
This authoress is leading the pack both in intelligent mystery/thriller from the Christian authorss pen and in very believable and realistic faith issues.

Forensic artist Gwen Marcey is dealing with the serial rapist and also the series of deaths by a snakebite/poison. The local sheriff seems to have some secrets. May the deaths something in common with the Pentecostal church and their religious practice of serpent handling?
And there is also the cal
Amy
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Leslie M.
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is one of the best suspense/mystery books I've read in a long time! The action and tension just got better and better as the story unfolded. I couldn't read the last two chapters fast enough! I just HAD to know how it ended!

I read the first Gwen Marcey book and was concerned I'd be lost as I haven't read book two, but that wasn't the case. The authentic characters and storyline is well-developed and multilayered. The author's forensic artist background add to the realism. I already hav
Christina
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love Carrie Stuart Parks books! This was a great read with so many twists and turns, I really didn't know who'd done it until the end.
Carrie Stuart Parks is Christy, Carol, and Inspy award-winning author, an award-winning fine artist, and internationally known forensic artist. Along with her husband, Rick, she travels across the US and Canada teaching courses in forensic art to law enforcement as well as civilian participants. She has won numerous awards for career excellence. Carrie is a popular platform speaker, presenting a v ...more
More about Carrie Stuart Parks

Gwen Marcey (4 books)
  • A Cry from the Dust (Gwen Marcey #1)
  • The Bones Will Speak (Gwen Marcey #2)
  • Portrait of Vengeance (Gwen Marcey #4)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Everything We Keep (Everything #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Finding Claire Fletcher (Claire Fletcher, #1)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • What the Dead Know
    $8.74 $2.99
  • Ragdoll (Detective William Fawkes #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • For Your Eyes Only (James Bond, #8)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • A Fierce Radiance
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beyond Reach (Grant County, #6)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)