Start by marking “Contagious Culture: Show Up, Set the Tone, and Intentionally Create an Organization that Thrives: Show Up, Set the Tone, and Intentionally Create an Organization that Thrives” as Want to Read:

GET INSPIRED. GET EXCITED. GET RESULTS.

A proven approach to corporate culture that’s positively contagious

You are about to enter a new era of leadership. With more competiton, more connectedness, and more opportunities than ever before, this exciting new era demands a workplace culture that is collaborative, productive, energized, and contagious. A culture that encour

Published November 13th 2015 by McGraw-Hill Education

To ask other readers questions about Contagious Culture, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Contagious Culture

Start your review of Contagious Culture: Show Up, Set the Tone, and Intentionally Create an Organization that Thrives: Show Up, Set the Tone, and Intentionally Create an Organization that Thrives
Coral Rose
Mar 11, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, women-authors, work
Mixed feelings - she asked some questions that have really made me think about my presence and intent at work and at home, on the other hand her "Intend and it will happen" gospel (The Secret style) just reeks of privilege. I, it is true, can likely achieve anything I put my mind to. I am also white, educated, relatively wealthy and live in the United States.

Ugh. Being aware of one's privilege can ruin things. Thankful for all those who have pushed me to the self-examination that has led me her
Darren
Jan 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The use of the word “contagious” was an interesting choice to describe a positive series of attributes for a manager or leader. Of course, it is a valid use, even if we mostly associate the word contagious with a sickness or disease.

So now one is drawn in to this book, you begin to discover that the art of reading it is also contagious, or addictive. Afterwards you, as a manager that exudes impact, wisdom, drive, inspiration and other positive qualities, act as a culture and replicate it out thr
Kimberly Jordan
Jun 14, 2016 rated it liked it
Good Intentions Wrapped in Clunky WooWoo

Setting intentions and showing up responsible for our energy is about checking ourselves at the door, doing resets, caring for ourselves- all reasonable and needed work. Surface therapy is perhaps the tone and intention, but I wasn't left with a concept of what organizational culture is or what strategies make a culture contagious. I don't disagree with the need to bubble up and check our energy, but I wanted more on what makes culture contagious besides
Kathy Hutchins
There are broadly two kinds of helpful self-help books: those that are clear, concise, easy to read, maybe not too deep and those that have a wealth of information, but are more technical and challenging to read. I felt that this book didn't fit into either category. Yes, it has some good reminders. However, it didn't offer much and it was not presented in a logical, easy to relate to manner.
Valerie
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
I received this book for my school district, we have the opportunity to pick a book each year to try to apply to our own practice and share with colleagues. I picked this book as the theme resonated with me, I liked the idea of being more intentional with my presence and with the energy I gave to my students and colleagues, I left this book sapped of my mental and emotional energy.

There was a line in the book "If you do nothing else-Show Up, take care of yourself, focus on creating positive imp
Celia Ludwinski
Sep 27, 2020 rated it did not like it
If you like feel-good books, then this one is for you. The message sent loud and clear is to show up with intention and just try your best to be your best. It's all about feelings and emotions and how to apply those in the workplace. If you like the work of Dr. Brene Brown, then this book will be right up your alley.

If you like books that are fact-driven, verifiable, and provide clear steps for implementation, this book is not for you. From the made up terminology, nonsensical diagrams, and ane
Ashley Martinez
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Contagious Culture is a beautifully written, fun, and accessible book that offers the reader a unique opportunity to dig deep, and really think about the way we show up in our daily lives.

This is not a typical “self-help” or leadership book. Author Anese Cavanaugh has crafted a well-rounded guidebook that includes real life examples, and concrete action steps to help create the life you want in the office, at home, and with yourself. But, only if you do the work.

The book is arranged in five part
Soundview Executive Book Summaries
Contagious Culture: Show Up, Set the Tone, and Intentionally Create an Organization that Thrives by Anese Cavanaugh was chosen by Soundview Executive Book Summaries as one of the Top Business Books of 2016.

THE SOUNDVIEW OVERVIEW:

The key to any company's success lies in its culture. This game-changing guide shows you how to shape and revitalize your culture — by setting the tone, engaging the team and creating a dynamic working environment that encourages growth, productivity and innovation. It a
Cathy Smith
Jan 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is great to read if you need a cheerleader to get you back into the game. The currently popular phrases "showing up" and "being present" may be so pervasive in our culture that they lose their meaning. But Cavanaugh earnestly emphasizes this type of encouragement in a way that resonated with me. The end result is that I gained insight on how to be a stronger, clearer communicator. And, actually, I grew to appreciate the "New Age" language when I realized how important the message of th ...more
Leana Delle
Jun 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
I didn't like this book, at all. I thought the advice in it was regurgitated content from every self-help book on the shelf, and most of what the author had to say could have been said in half the number of pages (if not less). There was nothing unique in this for me. A complete waste of time.
Joan
Mar 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
I read this as part of a book club at work. There are some interesting takeaways. The emphasis on the importance of self-care in the section “Showing Up for You” provided some interesting ideas and exercises to put the learning into practice.
Noushin Jedi
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
Did not attract me.
Sean Higgins
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle, leadership
Some RA RA RA, some repetition, and some good reminders about taking responsibility for oneself and showing up to serve others.
Kristin
Jul 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book had some great tips and most of it was super helpful. Good reminder for workplace energy, but also just for family and personal energy. I'd recommend to most, especially managers.
J Crossley
The author speaks of a concept called The Intentional Energetic Presence (IEP). IEP calls for being fully intentional about the energy you project and the way that you present yourself. People with IEP tend to thrive while those without it just survive. You have to take proper care of yourself in order to maintain your energy. Sometimes you have to do a “Presence Roboot” in order to revitalize your mood. Remember that those who are more upbeat present themselves in a more positive way. People ar ...more
Paulo Peres
Dec 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cultura
O livro é uma boa proposta de método aplicável em empresas (e times). Existem ótimas dicas ao final de cada capítulo que resumem bem um how-to para aquele que quer fazer suas avaliação cultural.

Como é um método aplicado na IDEO, isto me interessou bastante.

Porém, acredito que o livro poderia ser escrito com mais objetividade e em alguns momentos ele se torna difícil de se diferenciar alguns temas de avaliação pessoal, na prática.

Recomendo para fazer refletir sobre sua cultura organizacional e d
Kathryn Vander Meulen
Apr 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
As a fairly new operations manager trying to turn the cultural tide in my company, I thought this was a very thought provoking book with some good takeaways. I received affirmation of things I am doing and was challenged to take them further. For that, the author gets four stars.

However, I could not quite swallow all of the new age-y thinking of mind over matter or think it and it will be. As others have said, much of this may fly in white, middle class America, but it would not have the same im
Kaleigh
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as part of a book club at work and I really enjoyed it! As someone with a passion for continuous improvement, curiosity, and building a collaborative culture I found this book to be chock full of resources, exercises, and quotable quotes. I’ll refer back often to this book!
Candida Stamp
Jan 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Very inspiring. I'm going to go back and read it again more slowly. There are lots of great tips in there. I'm going to take notes on what we can do specifically in my business to be more positive and energetic.
Sue
Apr 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There are many good reminders in this book about showing up as a leader.
Kristin
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic read! This book gives you ways to be a better you in and outside of work as well as gives you the tools to create a work culture that can flourish. A must read!
Amie Martin
Jan 06, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly hard to follow and keep your attention. It is a constant stream of dialogue with no connection between each thought.
Lauren Askew-Larson
Nov 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Chasing Fireflies
  • Daughter of Rome
  • Two Weeks (The Baxter Family, #5)
  • Christmas in Winter Hill
  • Beneath the Surface (Dive Team Investigations, #1)
  • The Emerald Horizon (The Star and the Shamrock #2)
  • The Frontiersman's Daughter
  • Strands of Truth
  • No One Ever Asked
  • The Tour
  • Summer by the Tides
  • Together is Better: A Little Book of Inspiration
  • If I Live to Be 100: Lessons from the Centenarians
  • If I Run (If I Run, #1)
  • The Lost Vintage
  • The Path Made Clear: Discovering Your Life's Direction and Purpose
  • The Star and the Shamrock
  • Turning the Flywheel: A Monograph to Accompany Good to Great

News & Interviews

“Your ability to grow others, hold space, and truly optimize impact is highly dependent on your presence, your own growth, and your relationship with yourself. So in order to lead others, you must lead yourself first.” 2 likes