Start by marking “Princess of Athelia: An Unfinished Fairy Tales Novella” as Want to Read:
Princess of Athelia: An Unfinished Fairy Tales Novella

Princess of Athelia: An Unfinished Fairy Tales Novella

(Unfinished Fairy Tales #1.5)

*This is a 27k novella.*

Kat has now moved into the palace, determined to make the most of her time with her beloved prince. Being princess, however, is no bed of roses. She must learn how to behave like a royal, prepare for the upcoming engagement, and defend herself against hostile relatives. And knowing that her time with Edward is limited, Kat isn’t so certain that sh
Published November 15th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Princess of Athelia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Princess of Athelia

Start your review of Princess of Athelia: An Unfinished Fairy Tales Novella
Tweebs♥️ (hiatus)
May 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

This novella had like, 88 pages, and I'm not saying that I cried because these were the last 88 pages I'll ever read about Kat & Edward. I repeatedly told myself to read as slow as possible. My brain failed me because all it heard was, "Yo you're gonna pick this book up and you're gonna read it so quick that you'd put blinking to shame."

never been so disappointed in my entire existence.

I finished this book within 30 minutes. Y'all can say I
Muse-ic ♬
WARNING: spoilers for the Ugly Stepsister!

This is a short tale of the months between Edwards proposal to Kat and their wedding, before Kat returns to her world.

It's sooooo cute!! Guys I love Edward so so much and Kat is so awesome!

I found out about this last night and I bought it immediately. I need more Kat and Edward moments!
In fact I even learned that Aya Ling is writing a SEQUEL to the Ugly Stepsister!!!!!

*excuse me a moment while I die from fangirling*

THERE'S GONNA BE MORE KAT AND EDWARD!
C.P. Cabaniss
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, novella
This was an enjoyable novella and leaves me excited to see what happens in Twice Upon a Time.

It's been a while since I read The Ugly Stepsister, so some of the details were a little fuzzy, but I did appreciate this glimpse if Kat and Edward. I would have liked a little more time with the two of them. It felt a bit jammed with everything it was trying to fit in, but I do aapreciate that it wasn't too overly sappy.
Cynthia
*A complimentary digital copy of this book was received from the author*

Review is also posted on

Synopsis
Taking place at the time nearing the ending of its previous book, The Ugly Stepsister , Princess of Athelia told a piece of story after Katriona (or Katherine) had convinced herself that the only happiness needed to end the story is to find the happiness for herself. Giving up her initial goal to get Cinderella and the Prince fall in love, Kat braved her heart to admit
Angi Naerebout
Jan 18, 2018 rated it liked it
It was a cute addition. Not super spectacular, but nice to have.
Poulami
Originally posted on Daydreaming Books.

*I received a complimentary digital copy of this book from the author.*

Time for a little recap: The Ugly Stepsister (book 1) is a unique retelling of Cinderella where Kat ends up in the story world as one of the ugly stepsister after accidentally tearing the pages of her book. She could only go back to her realm if the happily ever after occurs, so she plans a mission to make Cinderella and Prince Charming, i.e. Prince Edward fall in love but she falls in l
Monica Mertz
Jan 10, 2016 rated it liked it
We get it: lady/princess/queen lessons are booooring! I would have enjoyed more of the relationship between Edward and Kat being exposed, more on the ways they manage to sneak time together. We already know that their time together is limited, and I would have enjoyed actually seeing *more* of them enjoying their time together, instead of convincing themselves that they needed to enjoy what time they had together.
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Come on Ms. Ling! The wait is killing me. I need the next book like yesterday!!!! Please! :D
Alli
Jul 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I usually avoid .5 books in the series......Now I know why

A lot of series have the .5 inbetween books. Usually I skip them but for some reason I went ahead and read this one. Going to be honest the only reason I read it was because it was free with my kindle unlimited subscription. Really it just is life after the ball for Kat and edward . If you read the first book The ugly step sister you know she is already back to her real world. This is book just is their engagement. While it was a good rea
LaCath
So this little bonus story filling the gaps between the last chapter and the epilogue from the first book was a little uneven. At the beginning, it had strong princess diaries undertones, plus way too many allusions to Pride and Prejudice for my taste and I occasionnally wanted to throttle the heroin. However, the second half was way better and remembered me why I - and the Prince - loved Kat in the first place. She has a good heart and is a smart girl, even if way too impulsive at times.
A cute novella that fills in what happened in 'The Ugly Stepsister' after the ball and before the wedding. I enjoyed the fluffy story, my only issue with it is this...................................... it's too short! I love Kat and Edward together and really want to see them get their final (lasting) HEA.
Frances Shellings
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This gives in sight to the between time story

Love this novella!!! It shows a little more in depth into what went on when Kat moved into the palace. And that even though they were in love they still had lessons to learn, obstacles to overcome! And they are not even ENGAGED YET!!!
Shruti
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was just what was needed. Meeting with Edward and Kat was so much fun. Like always I was hoping it would never end. I can never get enough of them.

I've heard that the author is planning on writing another novella. Hopefully it will be out soon.
Kimberly Gordon-Bercich
Apr 23, 2020 rated it really liked it
No reversal

You can’t be all girl power and power to the people and then bail on your friends when they join the cause. Luckily Kat comes to her senses and is back on board by the end. Good thing for Rosie’s sake.
nicola Morrison
Mar 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love the books in this series

I extremely enjoy the way she turned Cinderella into something more. Love all the twist turns. One of the British have read in a long time.
Isabella
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I took one star away because HOW DARE SHE TRY TO FIX HIM UP!!
Kathleen
Jul 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
Why? Kept reading thinking something interesting would happen, and it never did.
Sommer Walker
Nov 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fun novella in The Unfinished Fairy Tales Series.

If you haven't read these books start with The Ugly Step Sister - Book 1.

I loved these books.
Lindsay
Feb 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Seemed like Kat was repeating her mistakes from the first book.
Lisa Dawn
May 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A satisfying epilogue to The Ugly Stepsister.
Stacy Kersteter
Nov 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect

Filled in the gap a little more between book 1 and 2. And as always, a cute story! Thanks Aya!
Pam
Mar 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Tired of stupid heroines who do stupid things. Not going to finish this.
Charlie
Sep 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Jenn
Feb 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own, e-book
For a novella the story was okay, but other than expanding on the months of the engagement it's pretty much the same story as its predecessor. Kat deciding that Edward needs to be happy with someone else and Edward determined to make his own choices no matter the cost. It's cute I guess, but not really necessary and doesn't really cover any new material.
Merissa (Archaeolibrarian)
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, short-story
This is a short but sweet addition to the Unfinished Fairy Tales series, starring "Uncle Ed and Aunt Kat". That part won't actually make sense unless you've read this novella, but trust me, it is just one of the many scenes that made me smile.

Kat is still bumbling her way through the atrocities of royal etiquette, in equal parts both charming and horrifying the court and the members of parliament. I love this about Kat - she is learning that things she took for granted could have a real impact
TheQuixoticBookWorm
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: new-adult
I am generally not a fan of novellas, but I figured since there was an addendum in book 2 to have the reader go back and read this, I would do it. I really appreciate that it was free on Kindle Unlimited as well.

This novella was... sufficient. It served its purpose and filled in gaps of the story that couldn't quite fit with the length of the first book. As well as some other background information. To be honest the extra bit about Edward's extended family was a little difficult to follow, and
Lynette ~ Escaping Reality – One Book at a Time ~
Check out my full review HERE: http://escapingrealitybookreviews.com...

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I bought this novella. I absolutely adored the first book, so I knew I loved the characters and world, but I was intrigued by what the plot could be. You see, it’s difficult to say much without giving the details of the book away, but this novella occurs in the middle of the first book. However, despite my skepticism, I absolutely adored this!
May
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a short story that is set before the second full length book Twice Upon A Time takes place. It showed us a little bit more about what happened after Kat accepted Edward's proposal. As in the previous book, this story had many funny moments and such a cute romance between Kat, once considered one of the ugly stepsisters of Cinderella, and Edward, the prince of the kingdom. I can't wait to read the next part of Kat's adventure in the fairy tale world.
Cinthia
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Loved learning about Kat's adventures in the palace.. Her helping Elle with Elle's project for a girls school.. Can't wait for the next installment...

Merged review:

Thanks for this insight!!!

I loved learning about what kat had to go through in order to be a proper princess. I also liked thAt she was able to show that girls learning more things than propriety is life saving..
fennie

• A Goose Girl (Entwined Tales, #1)
  • The Princess Search: A Retelling of The Ugly Duckling (The Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • A Crown of Snow and Ice: A Retelling of The Snow Queen (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #3)
  • The Little Selkie (Timeless Fairy Tales, #5)
  • A Princess of Wind and Wave: A Retelling of The Little Mermaid (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #6)
  • The Princess Pact: A Twist on Rumpelstiltskin (The Four Kingdoms, #3)
  • An Unnatural Beanstalk (Entwined Tales, #2)
  • The Princess Game: A Reimagining of Sleeping Beauty (The Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • An Inconvenient Princess (Entwined Tales, #6)
  • Happily Ever Afters: A Reimagining of Snow White and Rose Red (The Four Kingdoms, #2.5)
  • Soot and Slipper
  • A Dance of Silver and Shadow: A Retelling of the Twelve Dancing Princesses (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #1)
  • A Midwinter's Wedding: A Retelling of The Frog Prince (The Four Kingdoms, #3.5)
  • Fated: Cinderella's Story (Destined, #1)
  • Snow White (Timeless Fairy Tales, #11)
  • The Coronation Ball (Four Kingdoms, #2.2)
  • Reign of Magic (The Fairy Tale Enchantress, #3)
  • A Dream of Ebony and White: A Retelling of Snow White (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #4)
Aya is from Taiwan, where she struggles daily to contain her obsession with mouthwatering and unhealthy foods. Often she will devour a good book instead. Her favorite books include martial arts romances, fairy tale retellings, high fantasy, cozy mysteries, and manga.

Unfinished Fairy Tales (4 books)
  • The Ugly Stepsister (Unfinished Fairy Tales, #1)
  • Twice Upon A Time (Unfinished Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Ever After (Unfinished Fairy Tales, #3)
  • Queen of Athelia (Unfinished Fairy Tales, #4)