Start by marking “Clutch” as Want to Read:
Clutch

Clutch

This a previously-published edition of ISBN 9780692489895.

clutch: a novel is the laugh-out-loud, chick lit romance chronicling the dating misadventures of Caroline Johnson, a single purse designer who compares her unsuccessful romantic relationships to styles of handbags – the “Hobo” starving artist, the “Diaper Bag” single dad, the “Briefcase” intense businessman, etc. Wi
Published October 10th 2015 by Becker Press

To ask other readers questions about Clutch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clutch

Ana Vizentim
3,5 Stars

I really enjoyed to read about Caroline's dating/relationship mishaps.
It was funny and I releated with myself so many times!!!!!!

I loved Mike!!!!!
Elle's Book Blog
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, lol-humor
I generously received an ARC of this book via the author, Lisa Becker in exchange for an honest review. Thank you! :)

:: 5 Hilarious Stars ::

This book is absolutely hilarious! I really enjoyed reading about the dating misadventures of the main character, Caroline. She is smart and spunky, but can’t seem to find her one true love no matter what type of guy she dates. Mike, her best friend since they met in Harvard, is just as funny. He’s the type of guy that never settles down. He likes to run h
1-Click Addict Support Group
Clutch was a light, sweet, funny read! I absolutely loved the chapter names and how they related to Caroline’s dates.

“Lord, give me coffee to change the things I can,” she lifted her glass, “and a tall glass of Chardonnay to accept the things I can’t. That’s about the only gospel I can get behind.”

Caroline, purse addict and handbag designer, is looking for the one. Unfortunately, she is only finding losers. Her best friend since business school, Mike is with her along the way for the entire hila
Emily
Caroline Johnson left home to pursue her dream of making clutches. Her Aunt Mimi had made the art of getting a clutch something special to Caroline and she sees a niche that she is passionate about. Harvard is hard but meeting Mike has Caroline glad he sat next to her on her first day. He has been her rock and friend throughout and when he suggests they move to LA so he can open his bar, Caroline agrees. They are the best of friends and through the years they have gotten closer but will Caroline ...more
Jazmen
Dec 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
***THREE AND A HALF STARS***

The theme of this review is more.

Let's get right to it, shall we?
I really enjoyed Clutch. I did. But what could have been a 4 or 5 star read, suffered due to the length of the book. It just wasn't long enough. Just as I was really getting into the groove of the story--it was over. No bueno. I needed more.

It was too short lived. Let's talk about the story:
Clutch is the story of the "dating misadventures of Caroline Johnson." That is the gist of it. The reader is taken
iamnotabookworm
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
According to this story, men are like bags. And I find the comparison very amusing and very fitting. The author is very clever to come up with this idea. It's amazing. And yes, I did enjoy the story. Thanks again, Lisa W. Becker for the review copy.

For a person who likes bags and at one point, thought that the more I have them, I could have more variety and more choices to choose from. I used to think that it would be amazing to have bags in all colors to match outfits or have a different one wh
Michelle
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, comedy
Review can be found on my blog here: https://booksonthebookshelf.wordpress...

......

This book had me literally laughing out loud as I read along and flipped through the pages. A witty, light read that will have you in stitches, and laughing so hard that you cry and you read the trials and tribulations of Caroline Johnson’s love life and her dating experiences.

Caroline describes each of the men she goes on a date with and describes each as a type of handbag. I thought this idea was brilliant to th
Brittany from Can’t Quit Books
This book was a refreshing new twist on a romance novel.

The book was split into several chapters which were all titled different handbags. Each handbag was based on a different guy to match is personality or characteristics. (i.e. Diaper Bag- singe dad)

Caroline is a southern belle who has created her own handbag business. Her best friend Mike also own his own bar where several of the book scenes and dates take place. These two friends have different views on relationships. Mike has a three date
Jenna
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audiobook version of this book.

Such a cute and fun light listen! Enjoyed as we experienced all the different "bags" Caroline encounters in her dating endeavours as she tries to find Mr. Right. There were some hilarious moments and some disheartening moments throughout that made this an excellent listen. The author wraps the story up with a somewhat predictable pairing, that I personally would have liked to see more of throughout. A satisfying ending to this standalone.

Definit
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I would give this 4 1/2 stars

This book reminded me of When Harry Met Sally. Caroline and Mike meet at Harvard and become fast friends. They see each other through good times and bad and have that one time in college where they hooked up....which they tease each other about all the time.

I loved the purse references and how Caroline always had a different purse, clutch, or wristlet for each outfit. I can't imagine what her closet looked like with all those bags.

While I kinda suspected that they wo
♥️Fantasy Land  Book Reviewer♥️
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

This is my first Lisa Becker and it is a cute read. She made dating at this age funny and kind of enjoyable. Although most were a disaster which made it funny. Good story.
Lisa Mandina
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the idea behind this story, and since I loved the other book I read by this author, Links, I signed up to review the audiobook of this. I am a bit of a purse lover, so I looked forward to that part of the story. I loved how the author used the different types of purses to describe each of the men in the main character, Caroline's life. The book started out a little bit slow and hard for me to read. I didn't connect with Caroline at first, as she just seemed so naive. Now, with the first ...more
Sharon Kallenberger Marzola
Lisa Becker did an excellent job of taking her original short story to a better novel by leaps and bounds with her additional chapters and the epilogue. If takes a sweet, funny story of looking for Mr. Right to the next level. This updated version is the perfect summer read.
Lustful Literature
**JOSIE'S REVIEW**

This is my first time reading a book by Lisa Becker, but I will admit the synopsis caught my eye and I just couldn’t wait to get my hands on it. Clutch is a short read, about 140 pages but I did not feel as though anything was missing from the story. The story is told mostly by Caroline but we get some of Mike’s as well. Clutch is a woman’s novel, the humor is LOL funny and so is the main characters journey to finding love.

I enjoyed how the author titled each chapter in the boo
Cassidy
I wasn’t obsessed with this book, but I didn’t dislike it either. It was a nice and cute middle of line listen. It did provide me with many laughs.
Yvonne
Nov 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Caroline Johnson is fast becoming a huge success in her handbag designer business. She’s not such a big success in the romance department, though. It’s cute how she compares the men in her life to handbags. She sure knows how to find losers, but she also knows how to make us laugh in the process.

Caroline’s relationship with her best friend, Mike, is both realistic and refreshing to see. Both characters are delightful, fun and a joy to read about.

Clutch is the perfect book to sit back, relax and
Livia
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Chick Lit Fans & Audiobook Junkies
Recommended to Livia by: Lisa Becker
Minor Spoilers Alert!!!

What I enjoyed about this chick lit novel:

College best friends-turned-lovers / Realistic / Easy-to-read (listen to) / Entertaining / Wonderful characters / Original / Page-turner / Lengthy timeframe covered / Romantic / HEA

★.•**•★Unabridged Audiobook Info★•**•.★

Narrated by:
Suzanne Barbetta
Length: 8 hrs and 12 mins
Release Date: 05-30-18
Publisher: Lisa Willet Becker
Cover gush: I love this cover because it’s quite simply eye-catching and fresh. The color design and the promi
The Book Junkie Reads . . .
Overall 4 out of 5 stars
Performance 3 out of 5 stars
Story 4 out of 5 stars

Find a good thing hold on to it . . .

Can I say that she was seriously in to her purses, handbags, ect. . . This was a fun read. It got me through an afternoon enjoying the weather. It was pleasant, pleasing, and took me on a ride of a young adult into her maturity. She was strong, independent, intelligent, needed, and determined. Caroline knew what she wanted to do with her life since she was a small girl and her Aunt Mem
BeingKris
Oct 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
K.  Ramjohn
Jun 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clutch was a funny, light chick-lit novel that held my interest from start to finish. We are taken on the dating adventures of Caroline, a handbag designer who compares the men she dated to different types of bags until she eventually finds the one she wants to hold on too. I enjoyed the story. There were so many hilarious moments and I really loved Caroline's best friend Mike who was there through it all.
I listened to the audible version of this novel which was narrated by Suzanne Barbetta. Sh
Jenefer R
Jan 18, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-read
Actual rating: 3.25 stars.

I enjoyed this one. There were funny parts, sweet parts, and quirky bits. Some of the guys Caroline encountered I can certainly relate to. I liked how each one was paired with a handbag which summed them up nicely. Dating life, from what I can recall...it's been a long time, is definitely full of more misses than hits. Overall a very relatable read.

My only complaint is that some parts felt rushed. I understand that the story takes place over the course of a few years,
Vania Nunes
Oct 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Vania by: NetGalley
Funny.
I had already read a book in which the main character compared her dates to comfort food, but it is the first time that I see men being compared to handbags.
Of course this has everything to do with Caroline's work. She is a bag designer.

Her romantic life would make a great TV series. All men have the handsome side (like a good handbag), but after a few moments, the flaws pop out. Result: total disaster and many hours of Caroline at Mike's bar, her best friend, drinking Chardonnay.

Mike and
Savannah's Book List
|Thank you @authorlisabecker #partner|

Caroline Johnson fell in love with handbags at a young age. After being educated at Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising and then Harvard Business School, Caroline launches her own line of purses and handbags. She enters into the complex, complicated world of dating in Southern California and likens her experiences with men to different handbag designs -- the “Hobo” starving artist, the “Diaper Bag” single dad, the “Briefcase” intense businessman, e
Nicole Dunton
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very cute and quirky book. I adored it very much. I could relate to the main character in many ways. There was something I saw coming miles away. I was still happy to be right in the end. It was very inspirational. I can't say I agree with some of the things that happened in this book or some of the characters' opinions, but that's not really important. It made them more realistic!

The narrator did a very great job. I would be surprised to find out she's not southern at all. If she isn
Ariadna Basulto
Jul 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was plain fun! From start, literally every single chapter title is a type of bag, to the hilariously awkward dates she goes on, I found myself giggling the whole way through. Caroline was simple adorable and Mike was swoon-worthy and hilarious. Their banter made for an entertaining audiobook and their chemistry had me rooting for their HEA.

Narration by Suzanne Barbetta was spot on and had me laughing the entire time. She’s a new to me narrator and I really enjoyed her work. I’m lookin
InD'tale Magazine
With chapter titles like Hobo, Diaper Bag, Fanny Pack, and of course, Clutch, this chick-lit romantic comedy serves up an equally entertaining number of dates that match. Caroline is sweet, funny and blind to the obvious.

Read full review in the 2018 September issue of InD'tale Magazine.
AJ's book-reMarks
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was gifted, don't remember by whom, but thanks! Finally got to read this light, funny, and entertaining story. Loved the idea of each chapter named after a type of purse, bag, pocketbook, whatever you call it!
Amanda
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5

Living through dating/relationship mishaps are never fun, but reading about them are the best, and CLUTCH absolutely delivers!
Even though it is a bit predictable (read enough romance and this will happen), I enjoyed the laughs and the unique take on the beginning of each chapter.
ReadingDiva Book Reviews
REVIEW: Have you ever read a book and felt a connection to it? As if the author was capable of capturing your thoughts and experiences? Clutch is the first book I read by Lisa Becker and it will not be the last. Clutch was short, but a great read.

The story is funny and the characters are quite relate-able. Caroline is a southern beauty, charming and a great friend to Mike. She is smart, beautiful and funny and a great catch, any man would be lucky to have her, but before she can find that guy sh
Bethany Clark
Nov 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read! I'm a purse girl all the way - Marc Jacobs, Vera, Kate Spade, just to name a few! Although I am not able to buy as many as I would like being a single mom of three. Someday...I will buy a purse a week versus a purse a season!
OK, enough about me...on to Ms. Caroline Johnson.

As the story begins, she meets this awesome, yet very sarcastic guy, Mike, during her time at Harvard Business School, yes I said HARVARD! He showed up with a coffee, gave it to her and they have been besties
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Dangerously Close (Adrenaline Highs, #3)
  • Curing the Blues with a New Pair of Shoes (Domestic Equalizers #5)
  • Accepting Fate (Defining Destiny #2)
  • You Can't Go Home Again
  • Fix You (Fix You, #1)
  • Pitch Perfect (Boys of Summer, #1)
  • The Frenchman
  • Mates, Dates, and Saving the Planet  (Mates, Dates)
  • Ace Jones: Misadventures in a Winter Wonderland
  • Gisborne: Book of Pawns (The Gisborne Saga, #1)
  • Murder, Mystery & Dating Mayhem (The Gray-Haired Knitting Detectives Book 1)
  • Love in the Afternoon (Feeling the Heat, #1)
  • Cupcakes and Crushes (Turtle Pine, #1)
  • The Fairest of Them (Rae Hatting Mysteries, #1)
  • Better Together (Sweet Haven Farm, #1)
  • One Heart to Give (Heart's Intent #1)
  • Into the Light (Lightbearer, #1)
  • A Sadness Within
Lisa Becker is an award-winning romance writer who spends her time like she spends her money - on books and margaritas. As Lisa’s grandmother used to say, “For every chair, there’s a tush.” Lisa is now happily married to a wonderful man she met online and lives in Manhattan Beach, California with him and their two daughters. So, if it happened for her, there’s hope for anyone! You can share your l ...more