Start by marking “The Book of Shhh” as Want to Read:
The Book of Shhh

The Book of Shhh

(Delirium)

A perfect companion to Lauren Oliver’s bestselling Delirium trilogy, The Book of Shhh expands on excerpts included in the original series. Lauren Oliver delves deeper into the world created in the Delirium trilogy and provides fans with an in-depth look at the terrifying society that her characters live in. This free novella includes case studies, exercises, invocations, q ...more
Published May 17th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Shhh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Shhh

Start your review of The Book of Shhh
Chesca (thecrownedpages)
“It kills you both when you have it, and when you don’t.”

Revisit the world of Delirium through The Book of Shhh (Safety, Health, and Happiness), a companion to Lauren Oliver’s Delirium trilogy.

This book is the basis of the law in the world of Delirium. It contains details about the cure and its procedure, and other important things related to the disease Amor Deliria Nervosa or ADN.

It is a must-have! If you’ve read Delirium or if you plan to read it, you should get a copy of this handboo
Farith
2.5 stars.

To be honest, I don't know what I was expecting from this book and for sure I didn't like it but I didn't hate it. It didn't gave me anything new about the Delirium world.
Now, if you liked the Delirium trilogy, this novella might be for you, but it just didn't work for me.
It's a matter of complete indifference to me.
Yhen Villas
Nov 19, 2015 marked it as to-read

OHMYGOODNESS!!! THANK YOU, LAUREN OLIVER!!!! I NOW LOST THE ABILITY TO EVEN!!!!
Peppermint
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
The pen and the sword are as mighty as what motivates them. If it is amor deliria nervosa, both are weapons of mighty danger.

I started reading this book 10 minutes after it was released. And I was not disappointed. Delirium is one of my favourite books and this was a wonderful short story that would have fit perfectly between the pages of the original trilogy. To be honest, I would have enjoyed this much more if it had been published around the same time as the Delirium trilogy. Despite that
Amy
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nice context to the Delirium series but a bit on the short side.
vivian :)
Jul 19, 2020 rated it liked it
ok i honestly think this should be read before the actual trilogy! it really introduces the world and gives a lot of background information. it’s only 50 pages but it reads like a handbook (which it kinda is) so it was a little boring. but if you are planning to read or have read the delirium trilogy, definitely check this out! it’s free too! :))
Kersi
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
while reading the introduction i expected way more, but it was still informing for knowing the world of 'delirium' a bit better
Hari ~Brekker-Maresh~
May 25, 2016 marked it as to-read
OMG I'm dying.

If anyone asks, I blame Lauren Oliver 200%

Yes 200% cuz TWO new books in ONE YEAR???

Damn 2016 is gonna be excellent.
Lauren Oliver, what did I ever do to you but thank you, I love you and I would much rather die of anticipation for your two new books than.... Idk... A bullet to the brain.

I take it back, I'd rather die WHILE I read your books. Then I'd resurrect myself somehow and read the endings.

Also HELLLOOOOO people THIS. IS. BIG!! This is THE. BOOK. Omg I can't even bye.

I mean
Erin Lynn
Interesting but Dull

I was really excited when I heard that Lauren Oliver was writing a companion novella to her Delirium trilogy. I thought it would be fun to dive back into that world and see things through the eyes of the government.

It reads like it should, as a handbook. While it's interesting to see what is expected of people in the post-deliria world, it reads as a bit stuffy and dull. I know that if it were a real handbook meant to govern my life. I would make the same choice as Lena and
Jill booksandescape
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Book of Shhh by Lauren Oliver is a companion novella to the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver. This novella is the handbook that citizens are given to read and live by, and help protect everyone from getting infected with the 'disease' amor deliria nervosa in the Delirium series. This novella is very interesting because it shows how the society thinks it's doing the right thing by preventing love, but they are clearly not doing the right thing.
Tina
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-reads, e-books
Elizabeth Aguilar
Dec 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Content warning: homophobia, (mention) of suicide, (mention) homicide, (mention) of cheating, (mention) of alcoholism, (mention) of eating disorders

The Book of Shhh is a short companion piece, which explores the policies, expectations, and values within the Delirium universe. If you intend to read this short story, I recommend that you do so while reading Delirium or before starting Pandemonium.

I enjoyed the writing style because it reflected the language, layout, and feel of a handbook. Perhap
H.B. Jasick
Jan 10, 2020 rated it liked it
This book was boring, but I think that was it’s exact purpose. it might actually be genius and clever, but it was still hard to read all the way through. Yes, I read this book from cover to cover. I’m not a quitter: It was definitely informational into the inner workings and mindset of the government that exists inside this series. It’s a reference that gives you a little bit of relatability towards the characters, and allows you to decide for yourself which side you’d choose.
NayDoubleU
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own, dystopian
Whoa

This was a crazy easy read. I actually felt like it was a real booklet and I kept think it my God. Is this serious!? This definitely makes me want to read the actual series and I look forward to it
Lettisha
This was pretty much just okay. It is essentially just reading all the rules and laws of the dystopian society that the Delirium Trilogy is set in. It was a little dull for me, but if you're a big Delirium fan this might be of interest to you; plus, you can't beat the price (FREE!)
Sacha Black
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a mega fan of Lauren Oliver, I loved reading this manual and getting a little more insight into her world building. Nice and short, its an awesome look at the dystopian aapects of their world.
Jessica
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining! I liked reading more of the absurd rules of this dystopia.
Laylarenee
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always...amazing

Series WS amazing a d this too is nothing g short of awesome. Recommended to all I come close to.
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Amusing little handbook from a series that I read years ago, really takes me back to that world and reminds me that the series didn't end properly.
Dave T
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read.

Not exactly a riveting book but it gives an interesting insight into the author's imagination. Now I'm on to the trilogy for the second time.
Rebecca Williams
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read in one sitting addictive and shocking !!!!
Irene_flowerflake
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: delirium
It was frustrating but that's exactly what it was supposed to be. Nice companion to the trilogy. Doesn't offer any information we don't already know though.
Sarah Elizabeth
Pretty dull really.
Zoha
Jun 19, 2020 rated it really liked it
She went into detail about stuff, quite cruel
Jenn
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-ebook
This didn't give much to the series but it was neat. It reminded me as a brochure someone wold hand you to get you to join whatever. lol
Bree (jasperandspice)
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
When I received the email that Lauren Oliver was releasing an eBook companion to the Delirium series I immediately went to download it - even quicker because it was free! As soon as this book was announced it was in my iBooks library and I have no regrets.

It has taken me a while to read this book for two reasons:
1. It is an eBook (on my phone) hence harder to read and I'm less likely to read eBooks because of the strain on my eyes from reading off such a small screen.

2. This small handbook is at
Kiana
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hardcore "Delirium" fans
Shelves: good-dystopias
The Book of Shhh worked for what it was: a short, mildly interesting companion novella to the Delirium series. As a huge fan of the original books, there was no way I could pass up on this one--and it's a worthwhile reading experience, one that takes about 45 minutes, and it kept me amused enough in the short plane flight that I read it. Oliver still knows how to write and it's her writing talent that keeps the novella from being utterly dull, especially when you consider how the whole thing is ...more
Caroline Paxton
Some parts of this were interesting and looked at aspects of the "disease" in ways that I hadn't thought of. Honestly, there were times it had me convinced the cure was a good idea. But more often than not, it was just laying everything on really thick in a way that seemed fake and out of place. I wish that the better parts of this book had just been incorporated into the series, rather than released later as an afterthought. It was alright, but I think with more planning and foresight, it could ...more
Lola
I miss the Delirium series so much. I'd love a fourth book, but since that is probably not going to happen (the ending is pretty good) I'll have to settle for these "excerpts" of The Book of Shh, the handbook to the society Lena lives in. It's actually really fascinating and a nice free addition to the series. If you have run out of Delirium books (and short stories), this is a good read. Not necessary, but also not long and totally free. Recommended!

• Life After Legend (Legend, #3.5)
  • A Game of Firsts (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #0.6)
  • Harry Potter: The Prequel (Harry Potter, #0.5)
  • Scenic Route (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #0.3)
  • Hare Moon (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #0.1)
  • Bougainvillea (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #0.4)
  • Flotsam & Jetsam (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #0.2)
  • What Once We Feared (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #0.5)
  • Life After Legend II (Legend, #3.75)
  • Thomas’s First Memory of the Flare (The Maze Runner, #2.5)
  • Liam's Story (The Darkest Minds #1.6)
  • An Untold Tale: Elena's Christmas (The Vampire Diaries: The Return Extras, #0.5)
  • The City of Ember: The Graphic Novel
  • Shadow Days
  • Treachery (Nightshade #2.5; Nightshade World #5.5)
  • The Goddess Hunt (Goddess Test, #1.5)
  • Dog Man: Fetch-22 (Dog Man, #8)
  • The Goddess Legacy (Goddess Test, #2.5)
Lauren Oliver is the cofounder of media and content development company Glasstown Entertainment, where she serves as the president of production. She is also the New York Times bestselling author of the YA novels Replica, Vanishing Girls, Panic, and the Delirium trilogy: Delirium, Pandemonium, and Requiem, which have been translated into more than thirty languages. The film rights to both Replica ...more

Delirium (3 books)
  • Delirium (Delirium, #1)
  • Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)
  • Requiem (Delirium, #3)