Start by marking “The Book of Shhh” as Want to Read:
The Book of Shhh

The Book of Shhh

A perfect companion to Lauren Oliver’s bestselling Delirium trilogy, The Book of Shhh expands on excerpts included in the original series. Lauren Oliver delves deeper into the world created in the Delirium trilogy and provides fans with an in-depth look at the terrifying society that her characters live in. This free novella includes case studies, exercises, invocations, q ...more
Published May 17th 2016 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about The Book of Shhh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Book of Shhh

Chesca
“It kills you both when you have it, and when you don’t.”

Revisit the world of Delirium through The Book of Shhh (Safety, Health, and Happiness), a companion to Lauren Oliver’s Delirium trilogy.

This book is the basis of the law in the world of Delirium. It contains details about the cure and its procedure, and other important things related to the disease Amor Deliria Nervosa or ADN.

It is a must-have! If you’ve read Delirium or if you plan to read it, you should get a copy of this handbook. I
Farith
2.5 stars.

To be honest, I don't know what I was expecting from this book and for sure I didn't like it but I didn't hate it. It didn't gave me anything new about the Delirium world.
Now, if you liked the Delirium trilogy, this novella might be for you, but it just didn't work for me.
It's a matter of complete indifference to me.
Yhen Villas
Nov 19, 2015 marked it as to-read

OHMYGOODNESS!!! THANK YOU, LAUREN OLIVER!!!! I NOW LOST THE ABILITY TO EVEN!!!!
Peppermint
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
The pen and the sword are as mighty as what motivates them. If it is amor deliria nervosa, both are weapons of mighty danger.

I started reading this book 10 minutes after it was released. And I was not disappointed. Delirium is one of my favourite books and this was a wonderful short story that would have fit perfectly between the pages of the original trilogy. To be honest, I would have enjoyed this much more if it had been published around the same time as the Delirium trilogy. Despite that,
Amy
Jun 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-owned
Nice context to the Delirium series but a bit on the short side.
Kersi
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
while reading the introduction i expected way more, but it was still informing for knowing the world of 'delirium' a bit better
Hari ~Brekker-Maresh~
May 25, 2016 marked it as to-read
OMG I'm dying.

If anyone asks, I blame Lauren Oliver 200%

Yes 200% cuz TWO new books in ONE YEAR???

Damn 2016 is gonna be excellent.
Lauren Oliver, what did I ever do to you but thank you, I love you and I would much rather die of anticipation for your two new books than.... Idk... A bullet to the brain.

I take it back, I'd rather die WHILE I read your books. Then I'd resurrect myself somehow and read the endings.

Also HELLLOOOOO people THIS. IS. BIG!! This is THE. BOOK. Omg I can't even bye.

I mean
Erin Lynn
Interesting but Dull

I was really excited when I heard that Lauren Oliver was writing a companion novella to her Delirium trilogy. I thought it would be fun to dive back into that world and see things through the eyes of the government.

It reads like it should, as a handbook. While it's interesting to see what is expected of people in the post-deliria world, it reads as a bit stuffy and dull. I know that if it were a real handbook meant to govern my life. I would make the same choice as Lena and
Jill booksandescape
Aug 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The Book of Shhh by Lauren Oliver is a companion novella to the Delirium series by Lauren Oliver. This novella is the handbook that citizens are given to read and live by, and help protect everyone from getting infected with the 'disease' amor deliria nervosa in the Delirium series. This novella is very interesting because it shows how the society thinks it's doing the right thing by preventing love, but they are clearly not doing the right thing.
Tina
May 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-reads, e-books
NayDoubleU
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, own, dystopian
Whoa

This was a crazy easy read. I actually felt like it was a real booklet and I kept think it my God. Is this serious!? This definitely makes me want to read the actual series and I look forward to it
Dave T
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read.

Not exactly a riveting book but it gives an interesting insight into the author's imagination. Now I'm on to the trilogy for the second time.
Irene_flowerflake
Apr 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: delirium
It was frustrating but that's exactly what it was supposed to be. Nice companion to the trilogy. Doesn't offer any information we don't already know though.
Rebecca Williams
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read in one sitting addictive and shocking !!!!
Jessica
Nov 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Entertaining! I liked reading more of the absurd rules of this dystopia.
Laylarenee
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As always...amazing

Series WS amazing a d this too is nothing g short of awesome. Recommended to all I come close to.
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Amusing little handbook from a series that I read years ago, really takes me back to that world and reminds me that the series didn't end properly.
Sacha Black
May 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
As a mega fan of Lauren Oliver, I loved reading this manual and getting a little more insight into her world building. Nice and short, its an awesome look at the dystopian aapects of their world.
Jenn
Jul 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own-ebook
This didn't give much to the series but it was neat. It reminded me as a brochure someone wold hand you to get you to join whatever. lol
Bree (jasperandspice)
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed-books
When I received the email that Lauren Oliver was releasing an eBook companion to the Delirium series I immediately went to download it - even quicker because it was free! As soon as this book was announced it was in my iBooks library and I have no regrets.

It has taken me a while to read this book for two reasons:
1. It is an eBook (on my phone) hence harder to read and I'm less likely to read eBooks because of the strain on my eyes from reading off such a small screen.

2. This small handbook is at
Kiana Cook
Aug 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Hardcore "Delirium" fans
Shelves: good-dystopias
The Book of Shhh worked for what it was: a short, mildly interesting companion novella to the Delirium series. As a huge fan of the original books, there was no way I could pass up on this one--and it's a worthwhile reading experience, one that takes about 45 minutes, and it kept me amused enough in the short plane flight that I read it. Oliver still knows how to write and it's her writing talent that keeps the novella from being utterly dull, especially when you consider how the whole thing is ...more
Caroline Paxton
Some parts of this were interesting and looked at aspects of the "disease" in ways that I hadn't thought of. Honestly, there were times it had me convinced the cure was a good idea. But more often than not, it was just laying everything on really thick in a way that seemed fake and out of place. I wish that the better parts of this book had just been incorporated into the series, rather than released later as an afterthought. It was alright, but I think with more planning and foresight, it could ...more
Lola
I miss the Delirium series so much. I'd love a fourth book, but since that is probably not going to happen (the ending is pretty good) I'll have to settle for these "excerpts" of The Book of Shh, the handbook to the society Lena lives in. It's actually really fascinating and a nice free addition to the series. If you have run out of Delirium books (and short stories), this is a good read. Not necessary, but also not long and totally free. Recommended!
Lissa
I think the only thing that The Book of Shhh has going for it is the fact that it was free to download. If it hadn't been free, I never would have paid for it, never would have downloaded it, and never would have read it.

It doesn't add much of anything to the Delirium trilogy; if anything, it made me remember how mad I was after reading the last book in the series and how disappointing it was!
Jordan (The Heart of a Book Blogger)
Actual Rating: 2.5 stars

The Book of Shhh provided some interesting world-building aspects to the Delirium trilogy. It was a little bit on the boring side, but it was supposed to be since it's the handbook/guide that governs the people in this world. I probably would have liked it better if I read it while I read the trilogy.
Sherrie
The Book of Shhh is a great supplement to the Delirium Trilogy. Within the pages of the Book of Shhh you will find ways to avoid the perils of free thinking and the dreaded disease, amor deliria nervosa. I thought this short story was witty and creative and would love to see Lauren Oliver create an unabridged version of the Book of Shhh.
Jessica
Very interesting. It is cool to see the reasoning behind The Cure, and why they believe love is such a horrible disease. I really liked reading from the perspective of the ones who implement The Cure, and how they changed and manipulated situations and past events to make love the absolute worst enemy.
Melody
Nov 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is phenomenal!!!! Composed of excerpts from The Book of Shhh, it's basically a mini world building guide to Delirium and an absolutely fascinating look at one of my favorite fictional worlds ever. I love this so much!!!
Dottie
May 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
An interesting look inside the world of "Dilerium"
Jonicat Motoike
Slightly boring. Gives insight into the Delirium trilogy.

• The Rain Is a Lie
  • The Heir Apparent (The Internment Chronicles, #2.5)
  • Inside the World of Die for Me
  • Resurrection Bay
  • Trundle's Quest (The Six Crowns #1)
  • Lie for Me (Find Me, #0.5)
  • Threader
  • Jacks and Queens at the Green Mill (The Shadow Society #0.5)
  • The Raid (The Eden Trilogy, #0.6)
  • Prophet (Struck, #0.5)
  • Reclaiming Shilo Snow (The Evaporation of Sofi Snow, #2)
  • The Star Cloak (Fairy Realm, #7)
  • Blood Tide (Never Land, #3)
  • Saving Death
  • Herakles (Omega Beginnings Miniseries Book 8)
  • When We Were Heroes
  • Say Something: A Hate List Novella
  • The Rules of Rebellion
Lauren Oliver is the cofounder of media and content development company Glasstown Entertainment, where she serves as the president of production. She is also the New York Times bestselling author of the YA novels Replica, Vanishing Girls, Panic, and the Delirium trilogy: Delirium, Pandemonium, and Requiem, which have been translated into more than thirty languages. The film rights to both Replica ...more