Start by marking “Brother Jacob” as Want to Read:
Brother Jacob

Brother Jacob

3.21  ·  Rating details ·  156 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Among the many fatalities attending the bloom of young desire, that of blindly taking to the confectionery line has not, perhaps, been sufficiently considered.
Published June 1st 2004 by Kessinger Publishing (first published 1878)

To ask other readers questions about Brother Jacob, please sign up.

Barbara Joan It's 'clean' enough and has some sort of moral basis, in that the dishonest main character gets their comeuppance, but I found it rather slight and…moreIt's 'clean' enough and has some sort of moral basis, in that the dishonest main character gets their comeuppance, but I found it rather slight and would probably want to recommend some other classics with a bit more depth to them.(less)

Nikki
Sep 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I think this is only my second work by George Eliot (the first being The Lifted Veil), and I didn’t find it as compelling as that novella. It’s basically a bit of a morality tale, as far as I can see: don’t be like this guy who pretended to be someone he wasn’t, because it will come back to you. And don’t fuck around with your family’s affections.

Overall, it’s more a little character sketch than a story, with predictable consequences. George Eliot’s writing doesn’t particularly shine here, and I
Mike
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did I really like this book? On the whole, not really. Another one where its length works as an advantage, Brother Jacob is not, overall, particularly good. Overall, it's a passable - mostly predictable - parable soup made with a generous helping of Nemesis and a dash of retard. I can't even say I recommend the whole thing.

But. But. There's just this one part that's so damn good - just a few pages, nothing major - about how opening a pastry shop single-handedly caused a slow and steady demoraliz
Karla
Trying to figure out just what the point of that whole story was...
Camelia
È opinione diffusa che per conoscere davvero un autore sia necessario cimentarsi innanzitutto nella lettura delle sue opere imprescindibili, vale a dire quei romanzi o racconti che in virtù della loro grandezza e notorietà ne hanno sancito l'imperitura popolarità. L'esperienza, però, mi insegna che quando si desidera comprendere nel profondo uno scrittore e il suo mondo, niente può rivelarsi tanto illuminante quanto andare ad esplorarne i così detti scritti minori: quella produzione spesso releg ...more
Jane
Bettie☯
Oct 20, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Bettie☯ by: Wanda

I tried listening to the Gutenberg audio but electronic voice needs to improve a fair bit to make it enjoyable.

Anyway, I'm now reading in snatches online.

Mr. David Faux, in his rash youth, sets upon an apprenticeship as a confectioner but within a very short space of time he loses his sweet tooth and decides to emigrate. In the act of relieving his mother of her savings his mentally-challenged brother Jacob comes in with a pitchfork...
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not much of a plot, not much character devlopment, and overtly moralizing. Jacob is an incredibly frustrating character and his brother, arguably the main character rather than Jacob, is hardly a hero.
Phrodrick
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve been looking forward to reading this short story for two reasons. I am not familiar with the works of George Elliott and found the books in the Art of the Novella series a good way to ease into the works of a brilliant writer.

Brother Elliott is a lovely short story. Given that the central character Elliott is a small time schnook, the tone of the book could have been preachy or downbeat. Instead, one can almost see the author smiling as she (Mary Ann Evans a.k.a. George Elliott) uses a lig
Alberto Benavides
trama , romance, traición y pan , que más puedes pedir ?
Shwetha HS
Jan 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
George Eliot is the penname or pseudonym adopted by Mary Ann Evans, an English novelist of Victorian era. She used the name George Eliot to avoid prejudices of her times against the female novelist, who were expected to write only romances. She wanted everyone to take her works seriously, just like they took male writers’ works seriously. As George Eliot, Mary Ann Evans was, and is still, largely known for her work, Middlemarch.

David Faux is a young confectioner with no good luck at anything tha
Perry Whitford
Sated on hefty dramas such as Adam Bede and The Mill on the Floss, at around the same time Mary Ann Evans indulged her sweet tooth with this little tale up a crafty confectioners comeuppance.

David Faux doesn't have a whole lot going for him on the face of it, but he fancies himself cut out for something better than a confectioner's assistant. So he plans to steal his mother's stash and head off for a life of luxury in the West Indies.

If only he can evade the attentions of his hulking idiot broth
Tyler Jones
Perhaps it is unfair to judge this as a finished novella. Eliot herself never intended it to be published but had given the manuscript to a friend as a gift. Still, in even sub-par Eliot is pretty damn good and the quality of the writing elevates a rather predictible tale.

I don't know why I can't read Eliot without thinking of Faulkner but the pot of a lazy boy dreaming of glory tricking his feeble minded brother reminded me strongly of Jason and Benjy from the Sound and the Fury. Why does Eliot
Amle
This short story is a lesson in morality, a cautionary tale that tells you that can't hide from your past, and if you try it will probably catch up to you in the end. It's not exceptional or anything of that sort. I think I wouldn't recommend it unless you're looking for something that can be read in an hour.
There was however one section where Eliot captures human behaviour in a perfect way, where the contradictory nature of society gets torn between self-serving comfort and gossip.
I wish Eliot
Katie
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mean, it was fine – I'm surprised that (at least on this site) it seems so unilaterally disliked (one of the lowest ratings I've seen out of the things I've read?)

I mean, it wasn't all that deep, and was somewhat predictable, but so are many books, right?
As predictable as any classic tale of tragedy. And it wasn't /badly/ told, and had some bits of society commentary – other people found these to be the good bits; I found them just okay, possibly even detracting from the overall atmosphere/fe
Brother Jacob is a short story by George Eliot, in which she explores the relationship between the selfish, self-centered and ambitious David Faux and his idiot brother, Jacob. - Summary by Lynne Thompson.
Banbury
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
George Eliot's Brother Jacob is a small gem of a book. The anti-hero, David Faux, is deftly drawn, and his brother Jacob embodies the self-destruction of little minds and weak characters. The book is funny, and the ending satisfying.
Katie
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun, clever, short story.
Cynda
Enjoyable. The main character is a fool, the narrator is either speaks foolishly or speaks with irony. I'm not sure. Anyway, story has some scary/funny parts
Catherine
Jan 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic
Great short classic.
Lizzie
Having a little public-domain e-book downloading spree.

I'd still prefer to own a copy of this one on paper, though.
Steven
Apr 11, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"A bog-standard morality tale about reaping what you sow ... nothing particularly memorable or deep."
Deb
  • Dangerous Flirtation
  • Pointed Roofs
  • The Grudge Keeper
  • Dred: A Tale of the Great Dismal Swamp
In 1819, novelist George Eliot (nee Mary Ann Evans), was born at a farmstead in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England, where her father was estate manager. Mary Ann, the youngest child and a favorite of her father's, received a good education for a young woman of her day. Influenced by a favorite governess, she became a religious evangelical as an adolescent. Her first published work was a religious poe ...more
More about George Eliot...