Start by marking “Nobody Real” as Want to Read:
Nobody Real

Nobody Real

3.2  ·  Rating details ·  76 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Marcie is at a crossroads.

Finished with school, but unsure what she wants to do next. Abandoned by her mother when she was tiny – but drifting further and further from her dad.

Marcie is real. With real problems.

Thor is at a crossroads too.

Soon, if he doesn't make a decision, he's gong to face the fade. Years ago, he was Marcie's imaginary friend – then she cast him out, ba
Published January 22nd 2018 by Harper Collins Children’s Books

To ask other readers questions about Nobody Real, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nobody Real

Kayla
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it
I got sent this book in exchange for a honest review, all my opinions are my own and thank you so much to the publishers for sending me this book!

In this book we follow Maisie as she is struggling with life and who she kinda opens up to his her imaginary friend Thor, who is a boy with Bear Arms.
This story is about losing your childhood and saying goodbye to things that are in the past and moving on with your life.

I fairly enjoyed this book although I don't think it was entirely always entertaini
Candace
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of 'The Rest of Us Just Live Here' by Patrick Ness
3.5 stars.

I was sent a copy of this book by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

TO ALLISA, MY IMAGINARY FRIEND WHEN I WAS 9 YEARS OLD, I’M SORRY I FORGOT ABOUT YOU. I LOVE YOU. THANK YOU FOR BEING COOL.

Anyway.

Nobody Real follows the story of two characters – one who is real, and one who is imaginary – as their paths re-cross after years of distance. Rekindling their friendship is just what they realise they need, unfortunately they don’t have long before they will lose each other again.

Th
SJH (A Dream of Books)
The author Steve Camden is a spoken word artist and it definitely shows in the poetic narrative style of 'Nobody Real. There are a lot of short, detached words and sentences which have a lyrical sway but which didn't make the book particularly easy to read.

The story is told by teenager Marcie and her imaginary friend Thor, who she cast away several years ago and whose time is now running out for good. We see Marcie struggling with family issues and decisions about her future, as she tries to ma
Brooklyn Tayla
This book was so powerful and engaging, every single page had me thinking what could possibly come next and wondering what on earth would happen with Marcie and Thor, like, the latter is an imaginary friend of Marcie, a bear, in fact, yet, he felt so real? It was just incredible!
"Of course it's happening inside your head, Harry, but why would that mean it's not real?" - Dumbledore.
This quote was pretty much circulating throughout my head whilst reading this book, and I imagine that Steven Camde
Zac
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love stories about imaginary friends and Steven Camden’s new YA book Nobody Real is one of the best. It’s funny, sad and full of imagination.

Thor has the body of a boy but the arms of a bear. He is Marcie’s imaginary friend. Imaginary friends are known for causing trouble but when Thor takes things too far, Marcie sends him away. Thor passes the time doing what he does best, demolishing buildings in the imaginary realm. But when Marcie really needs a friend years later Thor becomes part of he
Anya
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: unfinished
Thank you to NetGalley for sending me this book in return for an honest review. Unfortunately, I couldn't finish this book. I really wanted to enjoy it, the idea of a story written from the perspective of an imaginary friend that is no longer used really appealed to me.
The book is written from the points of view of Thor, a part-boy part-bear imaginary friend and his owner Marcie, who is getting ready to leave for university. The story is about them reconnecting and, whilst I enjoyed reading Marc
Gabrielle W
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This is the first ever book I read by Steven Camden, and honestly, I found the majority of it pretty boring. That saying it starts to pick up the pace the further into the book you get (i.e. the last 1/4 of the book). But, honestly it didn't really do much. The characters weren't developed that well, it was hard to decipher sometimes who was actually talking and characters are introduced that have literally no backstory or no purpose. Its kinda hard to work out which is sad because this story ha ...more
Emily Price
Sep 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I loved the concept for this story and thought it was a great idea for a book. In a kind of Drop Dead Fred world where imaginary friends can lurk until called. However, I always felt whilst reading it that I was gripping onto the story for dear life and I really wanted to love it but couldn’t quite follow it or understand it. I was so confused most of the time.
Even the ending, I thought that maybe it would all tie up for me and explain some things but it didn’t.
I very much enjoy stories by Ste
Steph Warren
May 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
*I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley. The decision to review and my opinions are my own.*

Nobody Real is a gritty reboot of the imaginary friend, perfectly pitched at teens and young adults.

It is the emotion that is raw and disturbing here, rather than the actions: Steve Camden has perfectly captured the disastrous, swirlingly chaotic importance of the emotional transition from child to adult in a way that is compellingly real. If you needed tissues for Bing Bong (Inside Out) then y
Amy
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nobody Real My Rating: 4.5/5 stars
ARC kindly provided by Harper Collins in exchange for an honest review
Blurring the lines between reality and the imaginary is a dangerous business, but danger doesn’t always have to be a detriment.
The common catch phrase is that ‘we all have problems’ but if you aren’t real yourself, can your problems be?
Nobody Real is a captivating young adult novel that explores modern society and common teen difficulties through two unique character perspectives. Marcie, is
Erika Muir
Mar 25, 2018 rated it it was ok
ARC kindly provided by Harper Collins in exchange for an honest review

“The real us lives in dark corners” was to me, a message that resonated with me throughout Camden’s novel. By blending the playful and quirky world of imaginary friends with the issues that almost-adult Marcie Baker struggles within reality, ‘Nobody Real’ breaks away from stock standard YA novel tropes and compels its readers to search for themselves even in dark and difficult times.
Marcie Baker is a young, talented girl with
Micha Sevier
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Nobody Real is the story of Marcie, a teenager on the edge of adulthood, and her imaginary friend Thor, who Marcie sent away many years ago. Thor is facing the ‘fade’, when he can no longer exist to Marcie. Macie is finishing her last of her exams when Thor reappears in her life, bringing familiarity and chaos.

This is a really imaginative book that deals with common issues of identity, family and friendship. The narration alternates between Marcie and Thor and uses second person where they refer
Eve beinguniquebooks
Mar 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Marcie and Thor are a team or so it seems to Marcie. The trouble is, she's real and Thor isn't. Abandoned by her mum and pulling away from her dad who grows distant, Marcie finds herself seeking friendship and comfort and that comes from her old imaginary though up friend Thor, a boy with bear arms, arms of comfort and warmth it seems.

I am unsure whether Marcie is suffering with her own mental health alike her dad whom seems depressed throughout the novel. Marcie does talk with others around her
Shannon Wilson
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shijia
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.75* stars

This was an okay read for me. I was expecting much more and was glad I didn't go into it with high expectations, because I seriously would've been let down.

I haven't read anything by Steven Camden before, and picked this up on a whim because I heard he would by YALC this year. Sadly, this did not do it for me.

The writing was okay. The plot was all over the place. I couldn't really connect to any of the characters. I liked the diversity in the book. Marcie's sexuality was subtle and th
BookishKirsten
Nov 02, 2018 rated it liked it
The premise of this book was great but it just didn't live up to it, sadly. It's told switching between two first person perspectives both of which address the other character in the second person, and that literary device just doesn't work - it ends up being confusing. And it has the thing I haaaate of a first person narrator being unreliable by just not thinking about a crucial bit of knowledge they have so it gets saved as a 'twist' for the reader. But that is just a personal bugbear of mine. ...more
Kathleen
The situation/setting of this novel is intriguing __ an imaginary friend and his creator recross paths after many years. The psychological counseling sessions for Thor, who is about to fade, were a nice touch. Nevertheless, I was not interested by Marcie or Thor or the plot line. Katherine Applegate's CRENSHAW ( a story with some similarities but for middle-graders ) packed more emotional power.
Kerrie
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audiobook-reads
2.5 - 3 stars, I can't fully commit!
I listened to this on audiobook, so that could play a part in my struggle to follow the plot but I've heard many people say that too. I liked the flow, rhyme and style of the writing, hence why I kept listening but if anyone asked me the plot I would be completely unable to say more than 'it's about out growing imaginary friends'.

I really liked the concept but I feel the story would be better with a stronger plot.
Demi
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
It was a great book, something I wouldn't normally read but I loved how differently it was written to normal texts. It included problems without explicitly mentioning them and bought the reader into the world of an 18 year old with their future ahead of them.
Yvette
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
received this in a book box. i've never heard of this book before, so i was pretty much going in blind. blew me away. the words have a way of stealing into you, and you don't realise it until you are crying for the things you've had to let go.
Maryjo
Nov 05, 2018 rated it did not like it
Disappointing. The plot was weak and way too slow. I didn’t connect with the characters, either. The ending was moving, but there was no buildup and I had stopped caring by that point.
Stephanie Lam
Aug 28, 2018 rated it liked it
A lackluster novel. The writing and prose was beautiful, but the plot line and actual story was cliched and tropey (not in a good way).
Chelsea
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Chelsea by: Dymocks Joondalup
This was another ARC copy I received courtesy of the Dymocks Joondalup YA Book Club. Again I went into this book completely blind. The story revolves around 2 central characters Marcie and Thor.

I found this book a unique take on something I haven't seen explored. Marcie is real and Thor is not, Camden's work explores the notion of the make believe and how this intersects with the real. And what happens to our make believe friends as we grow up and out grow them. To say much more will essentially
Lola
Mar 01, 2018
Siobhán Bayertz
Sep 30, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Steven Camden is one of the most acclaimed spoken-word artists in the country. As Polarbear, he has performed extensively around the UK and internationally. He also writes plays, teaches storytelling in schools, and was a lead artist for Ministry of Stories and The Roundhouse poetry collective.