Start by marking “Suicide Hotline Hold Music” as Want to Read:
Suicide Hotline Hold Music

Suicide Hotline Hold Music

Suicide Hotline Hold Music is a collection of poems (mostly short ones) and poetry comics (poorly-drawn mostly-text sometimes-funny things). A human pretends to be a machine in order to provide comfort anonymously. We are made to consider the epic meaning of middle school pantsing. Hearts are broken and mended. Children play with My Little Robot Pony. A troll keeps a food ...more
Published April 12th 2016 by Red Hen Press

To ask other readers questions about Suicide Hotline Hold Music, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Suicide Hotline Hold Music

Susan
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The stylistic eccentricities of Jessy Randall are certainly on full display in her new poetry and comic collection, Suicide Hotline Hold Music. Both the visual and written poems are easily accessible and quite witty. Randall's ability to shape daily life into authentic poetry is unmatched.

Though they may seem so, these are not simple poems and that is part of their charm. Not only are they deeper than they seem, her line breaks create subtle and meaningful layers.

I admire Randall’s point of vie
Daniel Casey
Apr 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Jessy Randall’s poetry is witty and accessible, yet loses no thoughtful rigor or intimacy. I enjoyed this collection immensely as it sparked a certain jealousy in me as well as wonder. On my best day, I wish I was as casually funny as these poems read. Randall is turning into a profoundly good lyric poet who, because she has shed pretense as well as dilettantism, may be one of the best currently writing.

Read full review here: https://misanthropester.com/2016/05/1...
Kevin Hogan
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A slight volume, but I enjoyed it.

The comic-form poems were interesting. Some of them were clever and good -- others struck me as filler.
emma
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, poetry
read in a hammock in the rockies, with a view of mountains and donkeys. i loved this book. it was sweet, humorous, honest. it proved to me that poems about tiny, single, seemingly ordinary moments can be so important. i love the way the book flows, from serious and gentle, to struggles with love, to motherhood. so sweet.
Sandra McRae
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was ok
I suppose there is something to be said about simple witticisms, but this book was heavy on the simple and lean on wit. I did find a few of the graphic poems a bit more resonant than others, but underwhelming is the word I'd use. The title is the best part, for me.
Amy Armstrong
May 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Suicide Hotline Hold Music is one of those poetry books that probably would have remained off my radar if I didn't live in Denver where we have some amazing independent bookstores as well as an amazing community of talented local authors and poets. Anyone who looks further into poet and illustrator Jessy Randall's history will notice that her work has received attention in a variety of places from the conventional such as Asimov's and McSweeney's to the side of a street-cleaning truck.

Suicide Ho
Lucy
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am quite in love with the title and the title poem, which deals with a sad topic. For anyone who has ever been suicidal, there is humor in the situation and Randall has hit upon that. If we can't have laughter from the gallows, we have a bleak existence indeed.

Half of the poems in the book are simply brilliant, economical with language, and witty. The poem, A Different Kind of Stupid deals with the question that any intelligent child thinks on hearing the story of Rapunzel: Why doesn't the pr
Jarret Lovell
May 11, 2016 rated it really liked it

A book of "poetry" for people who don't necessarily like poetry. It's quirky, clever, creative, humorous, and definitely fun to read. The pieces themselves range from random thoughts to graphs to diagrams. I wouldn't call any of the pieces thought provoking, and they won't change anyone's life, but they are fun. I read this collection in between grading a very large stack of papers. While I thoroughly enjoyed many of the pieces, toward the end many of the poems were about parenting, and I felt t
Kaye Booth
May 19, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This collection of poetry makes complicated issues seem simple and manageable. The poems allow us to laugh at ourselves and at life, reminding us of times forgotten and left behind. Their innocent nature reminds us of the people we once were.

You can read my full review of this poetry collection at https://kayelynnebooth.wordpress.com/...
ash newton
Oct 19, 2016 rated it it was ok
i picked this up as a brief read but was slightly underwhelmed by the end of it. the diagram poems are the strongest point of the collection and there are a few genuinely funny and striking bits, but not enough.
Red Hen Press