Start by marking “The Sacrifice and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Sacrifice and Other Stories

The Sacrifice and Other Stories

A sickly man seeks recovery in a seaside cottage.

A temple slave tends a man due to be sacrificed.

A soldier releases a genie.

In seven fantasy short stories and novellas, men find passion with other men in the most unexpected places, and even the gravest circumstances may open the door to hope and love.

This anthology includes two brand-new short stories. In “The Sacrific
Published November 27th 2015

To ask other readers questions about The Sacrifice and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sacrifice and Other Stories

~✡~Dαni(ela) ♥ ♂♂ love & semi-colons~✡~
Kim Fielding donates all proceeds from the sale of her self-published books to Doctors Without Borders. She is just amazing like that!

The included short stories and novellas showcase Fielding's talent as a writer and story teller. She can weave a tale like no one else and make you believe in the impossible.

Five of the seven stories can be downloaded and read for free, but having them all in one place is pretty awesome.

Plus, you can support Doctors Without Borders, which delivers emergency medi
Kim
Nov 15, 2015 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This anthology contains a collection of my fantasy stories. Two of them are brand new, but there are also 2 additional shorts and 3 novellas, all compiled in one book. I'm donating all the royalties to Doctors Without Borders. I'm hoping you'll enjoy some new stories and maybe some old favorites, all while helping out a good cause.
Gail Carriger
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
That craptastic cover just makes me so angry because what's inside is leagues superior. (Why must this be?)

This is a collection of Fielding's fantasy m/m shorts, which I like and think are her strongest works. Fielding writes classic stunning visionary fantasy extremely well. I could see her on the honor roll of the greats of the field, except she also includes gay sex. Her characters are almost always resilient, but broken. That's why I advise starting with this collection, get an idea of her w
Kazza
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: anthology
It would be nice if people would get behind this book because... All royalties from the sale of this book will be donated to Doctors Without Borders/Medecins Sans Frontiers. Helping out an incredible humanitarian organisation like this is always pretty fantastic.

Review to come
Tully Vincent
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: slaves
The Sacrifice – 5 stars
Rylo is a temple slave sold by his own parents. He’s chosen to give comfort to a soldier who’s scheduled to be sacrificed the following morning. The story grabbed me from the first paragraph and reeled me in. I enjoyed the dynamic between these two, the switch up between them given their sizes and role in the story.

Treasure – 4 stars
A romantic swashbuckling fairy tale adventure with dragons, pirates, imps, sprites, and magic. There’s hurt/comfort, sweet that will make your
Ami
Average: 3.5 stars rounding it up for good 'cause :)

Most of the stories in this Anthology have been previously released and can be downloaded for free (three of them are written for the Goodreads M/M Romance Don't Read in the Closet Event. However, considering that ALL royalties from this anthology will go to Doctors Without Borders/Médecins Sans Frontières, I thought it was worth of paying the $4.99. Besides, the stories are good. If you love Kim Fielding, you should buy this and know that you
Gaufre
Apr 23, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: abandoned, romance
I read three stories. I liked the first one, was bored with the second one, and the third one felt like the first one.

Synopses of stories. (view spoiler)
Courtney
This was a fantastic collection of stories. Some of them were lengthy enough that I forgot I was reading an anthology, I was so wrapped up in them. Some I loved, some I liked, but all were good and well worth the read.
Joan
Collection of short stories/novellas

not rating
Kara
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Sacrifice~ Rating: 4 Stars
Rylo is a slave for the temple. Ohron picks Rylo to serve him on the night before he is to be sacrificed. While I did really like the pretense of this story the ending was just so abrupt I was left feeling confused and wanting to know what happened. You do get the sweet between these two men and the steam which was very hot! So I did really like this story.. The ending was just so abrupt and leaves you wondering what happened.

Treasure~ Rating: 5 Stars
Julian has b
The Novel Approach Reviews
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars Kim Fielding is a new to me author, and I thoroughly enjoyed my first go round with this writer. Fantasy is a hit or miss genre with me, but I liked this book. It was an elegant mix of stories—some dark, others light—and really showed the author’s prowess in world building and character creation. Five of these stories are previously published and can be downloaded for free, but the addition of the two new tales, all of the others in one book, and the worthy cause, make this book an ext ...more
Joyfully Jay
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

The Sacrifice and Other Stories by Kim Fielding gives us a glimpse of the wonderful fantasies this author so loves to produce. On top of giving two new never before published tales, the author wants us to know that all proceeds from this collection will go to benefit Doctors Without Borders and so it is no surprise that the theme of healing runs throughout this novel. Below is a short review of each individual story and at last an overall rating for the entire col
Erin
Dec 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-fantasy
I really enjoyed this collection of stories! I had read some of them before but it is nice to have them all in one book. "Guarded" was my favorite story and I was happy to read the follow up about Mato.

If you like this collection, I would check out Fairytales Slashed 1 and Magic & Mischief by Megan Derr, another accomplished and talented MM fantasy writer.
Susana
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5 to 5 stars
This is a lovely collection of seven stories, some really short, some long enough to be considered novellas, all dabbling at the world of fantasy, and all really worth reading.
The Sacrifice
Rylo is a sex slave who never thought he had a chance at another life. When he is given the order to accompany Ohron in his last hours before being sacrificed to the Gods, Rylo discovers there are things he longs for, things worth dying for…
Charming characters, hopeful despite the gloomy setting,
Jenn (not Lily)
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ammp-fairy-tale
rating each story as I read them -- my average is 4.89

The Sacrifice: 5 stars -- amazing story! A beautiful connection between the characters, and the most lovely ending!

Treasure: 5 stars -- wasn't sure if I would love this as much as The Sacrifice, but I did -- much longer, slower to develop, but wonderful shape to the story! Julian is so very passive at the start, but he blossoms beautifully. Two for two so far!

Three Wishes: Yes, I knew exactly where this was heading. And it was perfect in the
Ashley E
The Downs - 4 stars
Chasing Away Cold - 4 stars
Mel Gough
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved The Downs especially!
Camylle
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
Collection of Stories that are related by places or event but not necessarily the people.
Sarina
Review written for Love Bytes Reviews.

ANTHOLOGY REVIEW:

In a very rare showing, I liked EVERY story in this anthology, so well done to the author! The stories were varied both in creativity and length so there really is, I believe, something for everyone within the pages of this book. And for a bonus, every story ends in either a happily ever after or a happy for now so I felt good after each one I read. There are two stories that do, however, feature the rape of a character but neither one is te
A.M. Leibowitz
I received a free copy via Inked Rainbow in exchange for an honest review.

The Sacrifice (4 stars)
I enjoyed this short story. It jumped right into the situation, and I appreciated how there wasn't any time wasted on explaining in-depth their world or their situation. The story had an interesting premise, was nicely erotic, and wrapped up with a hopeful but ambiguous ending.

Treasure (5 stars)
This was my favorite of the stories. I loved Julian and Kit and their slowly unfolding relationship. Julian
Angel
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Kim Fielding is a new to me author, and I thoroughly enjoyed my first go round with this writer. Fantasy is a hit or miss genre with me, but I liked this book. It was an elegant mix of stories, some dark, others light, and really showed the author's prowess in world building and character creation.

The Sacrifice. A sensual and elegant tale of slavery and sacrifice. It was a bit on the dark side for me, but enjoyable nonetheless. Ending was a tad bit abrupt though.

Treasure A pirate fantasy adven
Diane
Assortment of m/m fantasy tales. I liked Treasure best.

I made some notes re. each story, so I'll probably do a proper review from them later.
Not all the stories were exactly to my taste, and the emotional bonds felt too hasty in the short stories, but the writing was smooth and well done... despite the unfortunate first impression it makes. In addition to the amateurish cover art, "Foreword" is misspelled, and the Table of Contents is poorly formatted, but the rest of the book has very few error
Shaw Montgomery
Mar 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This collection of short stories/novellas was wonderful. I usually don't like short story and novella collections because I never end up satisfied. With this collection I was happy with each book and they all touched me in one way or another, especially the last story Chasing Away Cold. I borrowed this on KU and I'm probably going to go back and buy it because I'm going to want to read them over and over.
Lorraine
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
A wonderful mix of stories. As always with anthologies, you love some more than others, but they all had something beautiful or thought-provoking in them. The last one, "chasing away cold", made me cry, but I smiled too.
A lovely book, thanks.
Erebia
Mar 04, 2016 added it
I don't know what to think. Maybe tomorrow. Definitely not something to forget easily.
Jul 30, 2016
Dex
May 23, 2016
Antoinette
Mar 04, 2018
Chet
Jul 17, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Kim Fielding lives in California and travels as often as she can manage. A professor by day, at night she rushes into a phone booth to change into her author costume (which involves comfy clothes instead of Spandex and is, sadly, lacking a cape). Her superpowers include the ability to write nearly anywhere, often while simultaneously doling out homework assistance to her children. Her favorite wor ...more