Start by marking “Maya Angelou: A Glorious Celebration” as Want to Read:
Maya Angelou: A Glorious Celebration

Maya Angelou: A Glorious Celebration

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  105 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Maya Angelou's memoirs and books of essays and poetry have sold millions of copies. Now, MAYA ANGELOU: A GLORIOUS CELEBRATION offers an unusual and irresistible look at her life and her myriad interests and accomplishments. Created by the people who know her best--her longtime friends Marcia Ann Gillespie and Richard A. Long, and her niece Rosa Johnson Butler--it is part t ...more
Published April 1st 2008 by Doubleday Books (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Maya Angelou, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maya Angelou

Habiba Kabbaj
“Maya Angelou: A Glorious Celebration” is heartwarming story, by several authors, although it was forwarded by Oprah Winfrey. “She’s the tall, imposing cocoa-skinned women standing in the winter’s chill, the poet reminding the nation and its leaders of the fragility of our planet, the wonder of life, the hope of humankind at William Jefferson Clinton’s first inauguration as President of the United States.”(Gillespie, Butler, Long, Winfrey.5) This Biography recounts the story of a life-changing a ...more
Nicole
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I was first introduced to the works and life of Maya Angelou due to a Black History project assigned to me by my English Language Arts teacher, and honestly, I have never been this glad to have been given a long term project.
Angelou is truly one amazing human being that remained humble and outspoken to her very last breath. I absolutely adore this woman to no end - both her poetry and her filmography are gorgeous works of art about hope and faith - though her early life consisted of oppression a
Evelyn
Jul 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
A tribute to Maya Angelou's told by family and friends and is fully complimentary on Maya's life. Inserted are quotes from her prior work with photos of life and her notebooks. I absolutely enjoyed this read, and would recommend it. Although Maya deserve all the praises in the book some of the ongoing praises seem to slightly diminish the impact. Redundant?

Hearing such a grand woman can experience a difficult life and admits to making unfavorable decisions or mistakes along life's path and due
Evelyn
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it

Kim
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Maya Angelou fans
I loved this book, though I wish I would have waited until I completed Angelou's autobiography series before I read this book. A dumb move for someone who hates spoilers.

I loved the many pictures in this book - while I had a picture of the different characters in my head while reading Angelou's books, it's nice to see the real people. It was also wonderful to see the various pages of her handwritten drafts appear - a nice insight into her writing process. The quotes from Angelou pulled from vari
Marie
May 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
I have read a few of Angelou's books (years ago!) and have always admired her as a writer and poet...but she is now at the top of my list of heroes. I had no idea that she had done so many amazing things in her life. She overcome such adversity and has become one of our national treasures. I would like to go back and read everything she has written and find a way to see her films and listen to her music (much of it not widely available) as well. What an inspiration!

I loved this book because it
Kristal Cooper
I thought my admiration for Maya Angelou couldn't get any deeper, but I was wrong. This book covers her whole life story as well as the depth and breadth of her work. She is truly a worldly woman with more amazing experiences than any ten people I know. We're just lucky that she cares to share her ideas and perspective with the rest of us.

I give my ratings, however, based on how much I enjoy a book and I'm sorry to say I didn't love it. Someone of Dr. Angelou's age would enjoy it more because th
emm
Jan 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Maya Angelou is a wonderful and talented and stunning writer but even more so she's a woman who has been through many trial and tribulations, a few marriages and lots of other things. I think if your interested in Angelou's work and/or life, and you don't want to dive into a biography or don't understand poetry, I think this is a nice introduction into the life and folklore of Maya Angelou, her life and her work.
Sherece
Jul 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a lovely biography on Dr. Angelou co-authored by her niece/ personal archivist and 2 other biographers (?) Nice read. Revealed Dr. Angelou in an aspect that showcases how resilient she is but not at the expense of being a flat praise-song type of story. I felt I got closer to Dr. Maya Angelou through reading this book... it opened me up further to her history, her struggles and the ways in which she continually persevered.
Dawn CM
Feb 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. I was unaware of much of Maya Angelou's work and was astonished by her accomplishments. She just never stopped working and creating and giving. An outstanding woman indeed, and a joy to read about. I really loved the photos and writings included in the book. Recommended for anyone looking for inspiration.
Crystal
This is a great overview of Maya Angelou's life including her own words and those of her close friends and family. She was an amazing woman and our world is a better place because she was here. She inspired so many people to appreciate life and take joy in living.
MJ
Jun 11, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
There are many lovely pictures of Maya Angelou in this "celebration." She has already written of her life in autobiographies beginning with I know why the caged bird sings.

I don't think this volume has added anything.
Kelly
May 20, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm glad to know more about this famous American artist. But I felt this book was written for people who already knew her well and wanted to relive those memories. Perhaps I should've read one of her autobiographies instead.
Ellen
Jun 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
Wow! I feel very young and naive that I didn't know so many things about this woman. This is a good overview of her life. Many interesting pictures and a good list of all her work - written as well as performance pieces.
Alex
I'm incredibly impressed with this woman, especially knowing her temperament type. Sadly, members of her type just do not self-transcend very often. However, she has self-transcended in wonderful and glorious ways. This book brings out some of them.
Cortney Davis
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
I didn't read this cover to cover, but it was a great autobiography of Maya Angelou and her history.
I wished it had more of her poetry and where her inspiriation came from, but it was a good and interesting autobiography on her life.
Sandra
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting book. I was always a fan of Maya Angelou, but I didn't know how many more things she did. She lead a very interesting life and knew so many people. She couldn't be put in a certain box. A must read for Maya's fans!
Angela
Apr 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: poets, those interested in notable women
Shelves: 921s-biographies
Though there were less poetry snippets than I expected keyed to life events, I learned to appreciate even more Maya Angelou's incredibly diverse and socially influential life. I see how connections to the entertainment industry early on have both influenced and facilitated her later career(s).
Cindy
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I'm learning a lot about Maya Angelou. I never knew that she was a singer or a dancer..
what a phenomenal woman!

I love love the poem Phenomenal Woman - that's when I first found out about the writings of Maya Angelou.
Alex
Sep 16, 2016 rated it it was ok
I thought thus book was an ok book. Not the best book because i do not know who this lady is. I did learn a little about her. She was a normal person to me i guess, but she is legendary. i would recomend this book people that like autobiographys of interesting people.
Nadine Brown
Mar 18, 2011 rated it liked it
3/16/11 Checked out of Mtn View Library
Isaac Davis Junior
Mar 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A look at the life of this poet/author. Always revealing and sometimes shocking but entertaining from page to page.
Nicole
Jun 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I find her amazing and her words powerful
Roberta
Dec 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting story of Angelou's life. I didn't realize she was a singer and movie director as well as her many other talents.
Alyson
Dec 28, 2008 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book with many photos of M.A. throughout her amazing life with family and friends.
HelenJ
Dec 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A quick but delightful read of a courageous life well lived and devoted to enhancing the life of others. Many beautiful pictures too
Kimberley
Mar 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of my heroes.
Melissa
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A fantastic quick summary of the remarkable life of Maya Angelou. If you want a more in depth knowledge of her life, you may want to read the books she has written.
Terina Maria
Dec 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
!!!!! I refer back to this book for inspiration often! Her life is one that should definitely be celebrated! I learned so much about her that I didn't know. 5 stars!!!
Karen
May 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Listened to the audio version. It was very entertaining and informative about Maya's life.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Tinseltown: Murder, Morphine, and Madness at the Dawn of Hollywood
    $10.74 $2.99
    $5.99 $1.99
    $8.24 $1.99
  • How to Travel with a Salmon & Other Essays (A Harvest Book)
    $14.99 $1.99