Start by marking “Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking: 101 Entirely Plant-based, Mostly Gluten-Free, Easy and Delicious Recipes” as Want to Read:

The highly anticipated cookbook from the immensely popular food blog Minimalist Baker, featuring 101 all-new simple, vegan recipes that all require 10 ingredients or less, 1 bowl or 1 pot, or 30 minutes or less to prepare

Dana Shultz founded the Minimalist Baker blog in 2012 to share her passion for simple cooking and quickly gained a devoted worldwide following. Now, in th
Published April 26th 2016 by Avery

To ask other readers questions about Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking

Lisa Vegan
I've loved the recipes I've seen on the blog and so I was very interested to read this cookbook. I like that many of the recipes require 10 ingredients or less, one bowl or one pot, and 30 minutes or less to prepare. That's my kind of cooking! I think the blog recipes stick to those “rules” but not all the recipes in the book do, but enough do, and each recipe does show estimated prep/cook/total times. A few seem worth the extra time they take.

Gorgeous photos!

Contents:

Introduction

Resources

Metho
PorshaJo
I love this book. The author indicates that all the recipes either require 10 ingredients or less, 1 bowl or 1 pot, or 30 mins or less to prepare. Each recipe has a map in the upper corner indicating exactly that for the recipe. Many of the recipes can also be made gluten free which is also marked in the map. I'm OK with gluten, but have a friend who must eat gluten-free so nice to have more recipes to make now for him.

The book came about because of the blog, Minimalist Baker. I'm sure I've run
Irene
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I used to use this cookbook on a daily basis for cooking and baking. Versatile recipes inspired by different cuisines. Focus on plant-based and gluten-free ingredients. Some recipes come in ten ingredients or less. Easy to follow recipes and helpful notes on how to make vegan basics such as parmesan, as well as how to stock up your pantry.

I haven't used it so much this year. Some things to note - you do need to make your own adjustments in terms of seasoning but also liquidity. The sauces can b
K.N.
Apr 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2010s, cookbooks, on-shelf
I will preface this by stating that I LOVE the Minimalist Baker blog. I found it once when I was searching for a vegan recipe. Then it came up again when I searched for a different vegan recipe the next week... Pretty soon I recognized the name and would pick MB recipe links over the others. As soon as I saw that she had a book coming out, I pre-ordered it!

I love the concept and execution of the 10 ingredients or less, 1 bowl or 1 pot, and/or 30 minutes or less to prepare requirements, and tha
Kathy
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am trying to eat a whole foods plant based diet so am always looking for recipes I think I will enjoy. This cookbook is loaded with them. The only issue is that I also try not to add oil or refined sugars when I cook and most of these recipes have one or the other. That said many of these recipes would be easy to adapt and make without added oil or sugar. Lots of great recipe ideas for those looking for plant based ideas that don't contain too many crazy ingredients.
Tracy
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
All of the recipes I've made so far have been excellent and as I paged through the book I found just about every recipe appealing. The one thing I have learned is that I prefer quite a bit more spice, so going forward will add at least 50% more to all recipes I make from the get go. I borrowed the book from my public library but have now purchased it - my only cookbook purchase of 2017 (so far)! This author (I love her website too) is now up there with Angela Liddon, Isa Chandra Moskowitz, and D ...more
William J.
Mar 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book from Goodreads First-reads and was very excited to receive this cookbook because we have Vegetarian/Vegan family members and dinner is always an event that we enjoy. This cookbook has many great recipes that I know you will want to try. These plant-based recipes have many options for breakfast, appetizers and sides, main dishes, desserts and beverages. There is a very helpful resource section that tells you how to made a flax egg, vegan parmesan, cauliflower rice, peanut sauce, a ...more
Sarah Mackintosh
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
I felt like, with all the components of each meal, the recipes ceased to be "minimalist." There are some great ideas and options here there for those of us who need to avoid meat, eggs, and dairy!
Nikki
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have tried quite a few recipes from this book and her website. My husband and I love them all. He doesn’t even notice that they are vegetarian. They all have such good flavour. I even got my coworker to pick it up and encouraged a friend after bringing a meal to her house. Lots of Mexican and Thai recipes as well as American food.
Tracy
Jan 11, 2019 added it
Shelves: read-cookbooks
This cookbook is a bit of a conundrum to me: I flagged a lot of recipes that sounded good but there were also a lot that sounded terrible. I'm vegetarian, not vegan, and a lot of the recipes turned me off for trying to recreate dishes that traditionally use dairy, like quiche - that may be a plus for vegans though. Nutritional yeast doesn't sit well with me and there are many recipes that call for it.

I'll have to test some of the recipes to decide whether they make up for the ones I'm not intere
Lara
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
This cookbook clearly works for a lot of people, but it's just one of those that's not my style. Very little looks appealing to me, and I'm not crazy about the layout--the Courier-like font really bugs me. Also, I get the idea that minimalist means 30 minutes or less, 10 ingredients or less, or 1 bowl or pot, and it's nice that which of these each recipe is can be found in the upper corner of that page. But some of them don't really make sense to me.

For instance, the Vegan Kale Caesar Salad rec
Marathon County Public Library
This is a fantastic treasure trove of vegan and mostly gluten-free recipes that are beautifully illustrated. I was thrilled to see Minimalist Baker publish a cookbook, as I've been following their vegan website for a while now. I can personally vouch for the one-bowl funfetti cupcakes, as well as many other recipes, so I'm very excited to start cooking many of the recipes that are featured in this gorgeous new, fully illustrated cookbook. I highly recommend this for anyone who is vegan, has food ...more
Elske
Oct 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
In between 3 and 4 stars. I really like the blog Minimalist Baker and I have definitely turn to Dana Schultz again and again for delicious recipes. This book is no exception. Almost every recipe that I've tried, I've at least liked. So why not 4-5 stars? Because there is not much variety. Dana uses a lot of chickpeas, sweet potatoes, the same tahin dressing and the same dough (for pies, the pop tarts from her blog and so on which I find a bit bland). They're delicious recipes, but I miss the var ...more
Cat
Feb 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We use this cookbook multiple times a week. All of the recipes are easy and relatively fast. The photography is amazing and the instructions are totally accessible. This is an excellent book for new and seasoned vegans alike! Dana Shultz is also very aware of gluten allergies and clearly marks which recipes are gluten free. I can imagine that would be pretty useful for a celiac vegan. I would say 90% of the recipes we've tried from this book turned out great. There were some duds, but that's tru ...more
Stephanie
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
The recipes in this cookbook are the same style as their blog and I am going to enjoy making these recipes. I found that I cannot eat certain foods that are required to make some recipes (which stinks), so I'm not sure how I am going to adapt the recipes to fit my needs.

4/5stars
Varied Books
Jul 29, 2016 marked it as on-kindle-to-read
Shelves: cookbook
Skimmed thru 3M. I wasn't impressed w/ the layout. The recipes didn't grab me, maybe buy if the price comes way down.

Price dropped to $1.99 so I got it.
mo
Okay, so I've never actually written a review for a cookbook before, but who says that's gonna stop me. Life is short, and I love this cookbook, so ᕕ(ツ)ᕗ

First off, this is maybe the most accessible and easy-to-cook-with collection of vegan recipes I own. I'm not some mega-cook or anything, but I've been gifted a good number of vegan cookbooks over the years by vaguely-weirded-out-by-veg*nism-but-trying-to-be-kind southern relatives, so I've tried quite a few. And other than a couple of Isa Cha
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great cookbook. The photos are what sell it the most. Just looking at the pictures inspires you to want to make the dishes. But also, the photos are so well done that they inspire me to want to get into food photography! She even offers online courses in food photography.

The recipes are really good too! I know if I'm going to like a cookbook or not if I make at least three recipes that turn out well. I've now made over 20 things, and pretty much everything has been very good. Some thin
Amy
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbook, vegan
I love the minimalist baker blog; it's cute, well organized, full of drool worthy photos, and most importantly - filled with delicious and easy vegan recipes. It would be hard to top. Perhaps that's why the book didn't seem to live up to my expectations of it. Don't get me wrong, it's still a wonderful book and we use it frequently!

The photography in the book is just as inspired and attractive as it is on the site. I also love the font and format of the book. It has a clean layout that clearly c
m
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
You know how it is - it is the beginning of the year, you want to do better, you feel you should do better.

You read the Guardian (for those not in the UK this means nothing). The world is heading for a shit-storm and you are responsible for it. Climate change, plastics, excess, animal cruelty, cancer, etc. You name it.

So what do you do?

Well you take the path of least resistance and go on a semi-vegan diet.

I should caveat all of this by saying, I am under no illusion that when you are eating
Stacie
Jun 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars!
The past week has been dedicated to testing out a handful of these recipes and they were all delicious!

I made the following:

Thai Peanut Burgers (p.176)- Flavor was on point but the texture needed help. I ended up adding some rolled oats and some breadcrumbs to the burger mixture to make it less wet.

Butternut squash & garlic mac & "cheese" (p.193)- Not a complete copy of mac & cheese, more like noodles with a garlicky sauce (still totally delicious, just in a different way
Robin
Jan 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019list, cookbooks
Unlike many of my Cookbook Book Club members, I don't read many food blogs. BUT, I do hunt for dairy free baking recipes and that's when I kept finding recipes from Minimalist Baker AND I realized there was an entire cookbook! Not every recipe suits my needs but I really try my hardest to consume more plant-based recipes so this one is a keeper! The Super-Thick Three-Bean Chili was a hit with all the men who ate it. (One detractor felt it was not spicy enough but don't blame the recipe, I always ...more
Rochelle
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book from the public library because I was looking for some minimalist options, and boy am I glad I found this book.

Leafing through the book left me salivating and what I loved the most about the recipes is that the same ingredients were used over and over again in many recipes. For me this means that I can have a truly minimalist pantry and yet cook tons of meals. I also like the book because the receipes are categorised into appetizers, salads, deserts and so forth.

I'm not a
Ash
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
I expected more gluten free recipes but the author has one flour mix that she uses for everything. She just says replace this flour mix wherever the recipe says all purpose flour. There is no mention of flour like buckwheat flour or quinoa flour or how to use them. Definitely a misleading title. Not much variety in terms of recipes and none of them looked simple enough to me. None of the recipes looked appealing or tasty and they were pretty much what you would find in other recipes books.
Jessica
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Utterly fantastic cookbook for delicious, easy to make plant-based food. I am a long time follower of the minimalist baker’s blog and consistently make tasty, healthful meals from Dana Shultz’ recipes. You needn’t be vegan to enjoy this food (but bonus points if you are!). Bravo on this beautiful cookbook!
Gemma
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. The book is a really nice looking book with mouthwatering photography. The recipes are really good, some of them are the best thing I have ever made for example The Vegan Trashy Sandwich. yummy... the recipes are good for ppl that have little time to cook but want to be healthy and also want delicious food. I highly recommend this book.
Malina
Dec 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Never have I find a cookbook that made me want to create almost every single recipe in my kitchen! My only critique is that the "mostly gluten-free" claim is a bit generous. I was surprised to see that many recipes call for wheat flours. Other than that, I've been following the author's blog for years and I can't wait to cook my way through this book!
Mel
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hands down the best vegan cookbook. Recipes are very realistic, made with ingredients that are in every vegan's cupboard, quick, easy to follow, and ultimately - delicious. I have made many ingredients from this cookbook and I am in love. Will definitely be using this cookbook often! Please make another cookbook Dana!
Dale Mullings
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Quite honestly the best cookbook I’ve ever read... and I have lots! This book has so many plant-based, mostly gluten free recipes that I’ve tagged to make, and what I’ve tried so far, each one is a hit. The recipes are simple and I didn’t have to go out to buy crazy ingredients to make them. This will be a regular cookbook that we turn to for weekday meals.
Cindi
Sep 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loving the simplicity

The last thing I need when I'm tired and hungry is a complicated dish with lots of ingredients. Many recipes in this book are vegan adaptations to things I used to make, so they will be going into our regular rotation.
Vegan Cooking & C...: Minimalist Baker's Everyday Cooking 8 60 Jul 17, 2018 02:51PM
Vegan Cooking & C...: Minimalist Baker's EveryDay Cooking... 3 19 Jul 09, 2017 06:35AM
  • The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook: Entertaining for Absolutely Every Occasion
  • Chloe Flavor: Saucy, Crispy, Spicy, Vegan
  • Healthy Happy Vegan Kitchen: Over 220 Inspiring Plant-Based Recipes to Transform Your Health
  • Frugal Vegan: Affordable, Easy & Delicious Vegan Cooking
  • The First Mess Cookbook: Vibrant Plant-Based Recipes to Eat Well Through the Seasons
  • Pure Vegan: 70 Recipes for Beautiful Meals and Clean Living
  • The Homemade Vegan Pantry: The Art of Making Your Own Staples
  • Food52 Vegan
  • The Great Vegan Bean Book
  • Vegan for Everybody: Foolproof Plant-Based Recipes for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and In-Between
  • Naturally Nourished
  • The Love and Lemons Cookbook: An Apple-to-Zucchini Celebration of Impromptu Cooking
  • The Inspired Vegan: Seasonal Ingredients, Creative Recipes, Mouthwatering Menus
  • Wild About Greens: 125 Delicious Recipes from Hearty Soups & Stews to Succulent Sautes & Smoothies
  • Sticky Fingers' Sweets: 100 Super-Secret Vegan Recipes
  • Vegan Bowl Attack!: More than 100 One-Dish Meals Packed with Plant-Based Power
  • Street Vegan: Recipes and Dispatches from The Cinnamon Snail Food Truck
  • But My Family Would Never Eat Vegan!: 125 Recipes to Win Everyone Over—Picky kids will try it, hungry adults won't miss meat, and holiday traditions can live on!