Start by marking “Kid Artists: True Tales of Childhood from Creative Legends” as Want to Read:
Kid Artists: True Tales of Childhood from Creative Legends

Kid Artists: True Tales of Childhood from Creative Legends

(Kid Legends)

The series that began with Kid Presidents and Kid Athletes has a new volume that chronicles the childhoods of 16 celebrated artists—everyone from Claude Monet and Vincent van Gogh to Mary Cassat, Frida Kahlo, Jean-Michel Basquiat, and even Dr. Seuss! Readers will learn:

· Georgia O’Keeffe was so enthralled by nature that she once ate dirt just to see what it tasted like.
Published August 9th 2016 by Quirk Books

To ask other readers questions about Kid Artists, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kid Artists

Start your review of Kid Artists: True Tales of Childhood from Creative Legends
Wayne McCoy
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
'Kid Artists' by David Stabler with illustrations by Doogie Horner tells the story of many famous artists and events that happened when they were growing up.

In some cases, it tells how nature inspired them, like Emily Carr and Georgia O'Keeffe. Sometimes it was a rough life, like being shy like Charles Schulz, or a family losing it's fortune, like Yoko Ono. There are also stories about Pablo Picasso, Frida Kahlo and others.

The stories include illustrations which are mostly humorous. These don't
Briana
Jun 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Kid Artists introduces readers to a number of famous artists as children, telling compelling stories about how they practiced their art or where they learned to love it. A variety of artists from different background and styles ensures there's an artist who will appeal to everyone.

Interestingly, the book does seem to assume some knowledge of the artists in question, even though it's quite likely this could be many young readers' first introduction to a few of the figures.  Some of the mini bios
Braulio  Leyva
Dec 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
"Kid Artists" by David Stabler is one of my favorite books of all time. It shows the lives of many famous artists as kids. The book tells story's from Frida Pablo to Dr.Suess. The book tells the inspiration of the artists, their backstory, and so much more. One thing I especially like about this book is that all of the artists in this story have all had some bad thing or life-changing in their life, from their thumbs getting cut off to moving all around the U.S.. This book showed me that when th ...more
Tiffany Hough
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
A wonderful, kid-friendly introduction to some superstars of the art world.
Z.R. Southcombe
May 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Inspiring, motivating, and a great showcase of artists and their (strange) lives. As an adult artist - and occasionally an art tutor - I found it to be a perfect mix of 'practice makes perfect' and 'make art your way'. Highly recommended for schools, artists, and young artists. ...more
Mary
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Very inspiring book about the artists' childhood and their inspirations and passionate love for never stopping to work on art. This book really helped to understand the artist since mostly their art is what we remember them for. ...more
Christine H
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love, love, love the Kid Legends series, and this latest addition is no exception.

Squinklethoughts

1. Kid Artists is the third installment, preceded by Kid Presidents and Kid Athletes, which are also terrific. I love finding series that are so great that they become auto-buys. I have no doubt I’ll be reading (and buying for our library) the next title in this collection, whatever it might be about.

2. You’ll enjoy finding out what the childhoods of some very famous people were like. Well-known n
Gofita
"Kid Artists" tells the tales of childhood from the artists we know best. What were they like as kids? What happened to them in order for them to become the great artists we know today?

The book is divided into 3 parts: It's a hard-knock life, practice makes perfect, and call of the wild.

The first section focuses on artists who grew up poor or experienced severe hardships from war to death. Yoko Ono was fascinating. She started off as pretty much royalty and then through World War II became desti
Ebookwormy1
Kid Legends Series review…
Kid Legends is a multi-author, multi-illustrator series that is a big hit with students. The text and illustration have a casual style that often includes an undertone of sarcasm. Kid Legends is not as far over the edge or a busy as the “You Wouldn’t Want to be…” series, which I find annoying, but they use a little zest with the subject matter. This upbeat tone, even in the accounting of serious childhood struggles, maintains the positive message that all will come out
Ximena De Leon
Feb 12, 2021 is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Alice
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting book! If I were an art teacher 6-9th Grade, I would read a chapter a week or so and teach from that while the students are working on their projects. I learned a lot.
What is cool and different about this book, is that it isn't a life sketch of the artist (though I feel like it covers a lot of the artist life) it focuses on their childhood.

The opening line of the book is " Not every kid grows up to be a great artist . But every great artists definitely starts out as a kid"
I enjo
Dianne J.
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautifully written and illustrated. I love the style of writing, explaining to children how these great artists were once children with talents and how they discovered their own ways to share those gifts. Kids ages 9-12 would surely be inspired. I appreciated that there was a bibliography at the back of the book to interest kids in further readings. This book is from a series “Kid Legends” that includes Kid Presidents, Athletes and Writers.
Rayna
Oct 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book to read aloud together with my son (10yrs). The book tells stories from the childhood of many different authors. We both learned quite a lot and more than a few great conversations were had about how different people live, childhood issues and great works of art. We also had a good time looking up the art of each artist.
Whitney
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great little book! I read it with the kids for school, and it was engaging and understandable for all three of them (ages 7-11). Everyone loved the little comic-style illustrations, and there were several times I caught one of the kids browsing through the book on their own. We will absolutely be reading the other books in this series.
Elizabeth
Apr 11, 2018 rated it liked it
My daughter raced through all four books in this series so I wanted to give them a try. I enjoyed this one, but as an adult I really wished there were some photographs (of the people and of their art) to go along with the stories.
Sandy
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brief inspiring stories about a diverse group of artists. Both my seven year old and I enjoyed this book. Just wish it had pictures of works by the artists mentioned. More anecdotal than educational, but still an entertaining introduction to each artist.
emyrose8
Jun 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Neat! I was familiar with about half of the artists featured here, but all of their stories were interesting and made me want to learn more. The stories talk about their younger lives and how they got to be artists instead of focusing on their adult years. The little illustrations are cool too.
Suz
Dec 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and really enjoyed learning about a few artists that I did not know much about. Most I enjoyed, but would disagree with including Yoko Ono in the list. Probably just my opinion, but I do not think she had enough creativity and talent to be included on this list.
Carly
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very cute stories.
Elizabeth
Oct 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I thought it was an interesting introduction to a variety of artists. I think this would be a great book to include when learning about the artists in this book.
Amanda Walz
Oct 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
great snap shots of different artists childhoods
Casandria
A great book for kids who love biographies. My 7th grader was enthralled!
Angie
A few of the entries felt a little heavy handed.
wildct2003
Dec 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Another good book in the series.
Ganesh Vedarajan
Dec 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good reading for young capitalists who like art

It was good and funny 😃😃😃 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎 😎😎 😎 😎

Virginia
Dec 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved the personal stories and childhood experiences of the artists. My only complaint is that it didn't include pictures of the artists' work. ...more
Sage
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love it!!!! I am using this book for a school art project! I am making a print based on basquiat!!!!
Miina Saarna
Apr 09, 2020 rated it really liked it
I assigned this one to my 5th graders who thought it was a pretty good book. So I decided to read it too. What can I say, it’s a fun book! Especially loved the quirky illustrations.
Amy T.
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book about famous artists as kids. My kids enjoyed it very much. The only thing I would change would be to include some of the famous pieces by each artist.
Linds
Jul 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Got this for my art class! Definitely recommend!!
« previous 1 3 next »

• Brother's Keeper
  • Little Leaders: Exceptional Men in Black History
  • Kid Activists: True Tales of Childhood from Champions of Change: 6
  • Three Keys (Front Desk, #2)
  • Nat Enough (Nat Enough #1)
  • If Picasso Painted a Snowman
  • The Boundless
  • Harriet the Invincible (Hamster Princess, #1)
  • Where Do Presidents Come From?: And Other Presidential Stuff of Super Great Importance
  • The Baby-Sitters Club Graphix #1-4 Box Set: Full-Color Edition
  • Dear Edward
  • Never and Forever (The Wizards of Once #4)
  • Sunny Side Up and Swing It, Sunny: The Box Set
  • Click (Click, #1)
  • Clash Royale: A Beginner's Strategy Guide to Tips & Tricks, Winning Games, and Earning Trophies (Clash Royale Guides Book 2)
  • Yayoi Kusama: From Here to Infinity
  • Unlocked (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #8.5)
  • A Place at the Table

Kid Legends (7 books)
  • Kid Presidents: True Tales of Childhood from America's Presidents
  • Kid Athletes: True Tales of Childhood from Sports Legends
  • Kid Authors: True Tales of Childhood from Famous Writers
  • Kid Scientists: True Tales of Childhood from Science Superstars
  • Kid Activists: True Tales of Childhood from Champions of Change: 6
  • Kid Legends: True Tales of Childhood from the Books Kid Artists, Kid Athletes, Kid Presidents, and Kid Authors