Start by marking “Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days” as Want to Read:
Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days

Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and Test New Ideas in Just Five Days

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  6,970 Ratings  ·  602 Reviews
NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER
WALL STREET JOURNAL BESTSELLER

Sprint offers a transformative formula for testing ideas that works whether you’re at a startup or a large organization. Within five days, you’ll move from idea to prototype to decision, saving you and your team countless hours and countless dollars. A must read for entrepreneurs of all stripes.” —Eric Ries, author of
Published March 8th 2016 by Simon & Schuster

To ask other readers questions about Sprint, please sign up.
Jake Knapp Thank you! And for what it's worth, I'm antsy for it to be released, too. Publishing takes a while, as I'm finding out. :)
Ciro Hi, I just finished reading a Kindle edition. The images are, in the majority, fully readable even without using zoom feature. Some of them are more…moreHi, I just finished reading a Kindle edition. The images are, in the majority, fully readable even without using zoom feature. Some of them are more packed with information, but using the zoom feature and rolling the screen allowed me to read them all.
So, I think Kindle is good enough to enjoy this title.(less)

Jake Knapp
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Well, I'm biased, but I thought it was pretty great. Definitely better than the rough drafts! :)
Ran
Mar 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 650s, nonfiction
You know what? I really like the idea behind Sprint ... it's a shame I really don't have any practical business applications for this idea. However, the book itself is wonderfully designed and packaged to convey direct information. It's refreshingly straightforward with checklists in the back! I can only focus on a problem for five days straight, so this seems extremely applicable to my work method.

The Sprint Method in Summary:

photo sprint.png
John Norman
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Creating and evaluating new product features is my world.

This book has a double grade:

If you know nothing about how to limit the scope of your product and validate it, this book is for you. It is a decent all-in-one plan to test a big idea in a week. The methodology is sound and fits in with decades of research regard product development and design, as well as more recent work in usability and "lean" modes of development.

The book has judicious guidance on getting the right team together, getting
Brinton Atkinson
My company (Lucidsoftware) was actually able to get the book early (being backed by Google Ventures). We had the chance to read it, and my team actually put the process to the test. It really helped us get a better sense of direction and focus for the future, while saving us so much time. I think we would all recommend it. If you'd like a deeper review of what happened, check out our post about it: What we learned running our own google ventures sprint - https://www.lucidpress.com/blog/2016/...
Niels Mulder
Sep 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Practical guide in how to proper host a Sprint. I think it can be a bit more concise, although the checklist at the end is very helpful. Following the format saves you a lot of time. You still need to keep practising and finetuning your skills by running a lot of Sprints.
David Tucker
Apr 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Overview

Being a bit of a process geek, I was excited to read Jake Knapp's new book, Sprint, which covers the refined innovation approach that is used at Google Ventures. I feel that this book is a must read for executives, digital product owners, as well as designers/developers (and I would rarely categorize one book as good for all of those demographics).

Detailed Review

One of the great things about this book is that it takes some of the core aspects of agile/lean methodology but boils them into
Adam
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting and informative business book. It details the "sprint" process used at Google Ventures (the venture capital arm of Alphabet / Google). The sprint is a way of approaching business problems, typically but not exclusively related to product design and marketing, through an intensive five-days of analysis, prototyping and feedback gathering.

As someone who works with large corporations where decision-making is often painfully slow, and meetings can be unproductive, it's nice to see a bet
Bernd Schiffer
Good approach, good outline to follow. I can see how it would be helpful for a lot of companies.

But what marketing genius came up with that name? Not only is it already widely used within the Agile community (Scrum sprints), but it also has a different meaning (here: dash as in track and field; Scrum: huddle or get-together as in Rugby). If this method takes off, this name will be cause for lot of confusion :(
Garrio Harrison
Mar 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I went into Sprint thinking it was going to be a good book for startups and small businesses. I quickly realized many of the tools and actionable insights outlined in the book can apply to organizations of any size and across pretty much any industry. I’d highly recommend it. – The book’s website has a lot of great resources worth checking out too.
Lynn Thompson
I kept waiting for the "wow" moment but there really wasn't one. It's full of good info if you are new to software development or agile. Create prototypes, work with your team, get feedback quickly...
Maria Lasprilla
In January 2018 I will be taking part in a Design Sprint, and I've been reading the book to dig into the details. Only then I will feel I have all the information needed to rate the book since it is basically a practical guide to put the methodology in practice.

Although there is mostly step by step instructions (well explained), there are also some good bits and pieces that are valuable on their own. One of my favorite was a chapter on prototyping where they talked about what they refer to as "T
Jaroslav Holan
Apr 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tohle se četlo samo. Krok za krokem velmi poutavě vysvětleno jak přivést nápady ke zdárnému prototypu. Přijít s nápadem není zas tak těžké. Obtížná je jeho realizace. A právě tato kniha je dobrým začátkem. Postupy zde popsané pomohou včas odchytit slepé uličky. Pokud stojíte před výzvou realizovat zcela nový jakýkoliv produkt nebo službu doporučuji začít Sprintem popsaným v této knize.

Kniha mimo jiné obsahuje příběhy firem jako jsou Slack a Medium.
Shivanand Velmurugan
Well written. A fast read.

It is a bit disconcerting that authors decided to not mention that most of what they profess in the book is "borrowed" from several processes and methods of the past. There is a whole chapter for thank-you's but no mention of Agile, Scrum, Iterative Design (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itera...). Personally it was irksome, and I had the nagging feeling of being talked down to.

The framework of condensing a lot of techniques into a single week, and with structure is i
Jose Papo
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read book for anyone planning to do a 5-day Design Sprint in Google style. The authors work at Google Ventures and use the same format for all startups invested by GV. I work for Google as Developer and Startup Relations Manager and we also use the format to help early-stage and mature-stage startups inside our programs. The book contains every detail and step by step processes to run the 5 day design sprint. The main sections of the book are organized by day (From Monday to Frida ...more
Andrea Sipos
The overall description of the design sprint process is good, the case studies are interesting. I felt that this book could be more useful for product people at the beginning of their carrier, than more experienced professionals. The books explains the process, but doesn't highlight the reasons behind it.
Daniel
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Learn how Jake and his buddies at Google Ventures have helped startups solve big problems with the Sprint. The book is packed with interesting anecdotes, lessons learnt, and lots of other tips that will help you run your own Sprints. I want to run a Sprint now!
Kevin Orth
May 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well written and a wonderful, informative read for its target audience. The target audience is a manager and/or project manager for a larger company. If you are aspiring to be in this role you will get a lot out of this book. If you are not, I doubt you would get much actionable advice.
Elena
Nov 13, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abandoning at 70%. Not enough ideas worth writing a whole book.
Silver Jaanus
The book was about organising a session to quickly come up with and test a product idea. This can be summarised in max 1 chapter and a whole books seems like a huge waste of time.
Beatriz
Aug 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
I loved it! I think this book is the best way to put into practise the "Lean Start-up" concept. Fast and easy validation of your hypothesis in 5 days using a very structured framework.
Max Cherepitsa
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Толковая книжка про простую методику тестирования гипотез и прототипов чего угодно.
Da_sh
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: do-it-yourself
Very detailed; sometimes it's even ridiculous.
But convincing. And definitely it works.
chalda
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book because of recommendation from the friend but still I started with it a little bit by coincidence (I haven't got downloaded anything else in my reader) and I was really nicely surprised. First it was pleasure to read it - easy language with a momentum. It was filled with experience and enthusiasm and many tips. I expected a book which whole content could be summarized in few sentences but that was not this case. Even I'm not sure I will ever lead a sprint I feel that I can us ...more
Daniel Olshansky
The preface starts of really strong with a short background of Jake Knapp’s personal life and career. While I have to admit guilty to being very motivated, driven and impressed by people who’s success is of his caliber, it is the passion with which he delivers the purpose of the book that intrigues me. You can tell that he enjoys what he truly loves what he does, and for that reason I want to listen to what he has to say and learn from his breadth of experience.

The book start off with a couple a
Sergey Kochergan
Check-lists and tips with tricks how to perform prototyping and quick testing for real life scenarios.
Nathan Crowther
Oct 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ux, ux-favorites
Sprint was recommended to me by a friend, Bryan Sebesta, and a mentor, Seth Jenks.

Sprint walks the reader through a week-long process from identifying the problem to testing a solution. The process is meant to take every working hour of every day with lots of time constraints to keep things fresh and moving.

This sounds awesome, but seems hard in practice. However, the value is crystal clear and communicated throughout the book: that the design process is messy, but it can also be structured in s
Timothée Astier
The authors of this book have obvious expertise about helping startup teams solving real problems. SPRINT is a short and pleasant reading. The 5-day method is clearly explained and the transition to implementation on real cases is made easy by many practical advice and checklists.

I think you get maximum value from the ideas explained in this book if you go and try to run an actual Sprint with your team. I will definitely consider to try it as soon as I can gather a team working full time on our
Sebastian Gebski
Apr 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I classify this one as a "hammer-book". Why a hammer? Because it's about extremely crude & simple idea that won't cause a "wow" (or "oh snap!") exclamation, but still, even if the prescription is that simple, people just don't follow ...

"Sprint" is all about validated experiments, short, with fully dedicated (& decisive!) people on board. It's about proper decision making - not based on "expert's opinion", but on collaborative work of actual hands-on experts. Doesn't seem very revealing?
Ostap Andrusiv
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Викликає книжка змішані відчуття. З одного боку, дуже багато води і common sense. З іншого, підхід справді цікавий. Тому від книжки очікуєш більшого, ніж отримуєш.

Головний меседж, який я собі виніс з цієї книжки: за тиждень можна встигнути багато, особливо, якщо сфокусуватись на проблемі і не відволікатись на все лишнє. Виключити месенджер, нотифікейшини, фейсбуки, etc. 3-4 години сфокусованої праці над задачею зазвичай достатньо, щоб ввійти в потік, а звідти і до рішення недалеко.

Висновок: 4-.
Eugene
Jun 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: startups
Great hands-on book on creating a prototype and testing it within just 5 working days. It dives into the detailed process so it is easy to re-create this process yourself. Lot of actionable insights and attention to details: from making sure your team is equiped with right supplies to discuss prototype and avoiding food coma the during discussion to the right way to talk to customers when they are testing the prototype so you may extract as much vital reactions and insights as possible.

definetel
LibUX: Sprint is [er, was!] the July 2016 book! 1 12 Aug 01, 2016 10:47AM
  • Microinteractions: Designing with Details
  • User Story Mapping: Discover the Whole Story, Build the Right Product
  • Lean Customer Development (Hardcover Version): Building Products Your Customers Will Buy
  • Lean UX: Applying Lean Principles to Improve User Experience
  • Value Proposition Design: How to Create Products and Services Customers Want
  • Interviewing Users: How to Uncover Compelling Insights
  • The Elements of Content Strategy
  • A Project Guide to UX Design: For User Experience Designers in the Field or in the Making
  • Service Design: From Insight to Implementation
  • Breaking the Time Barrier: How to Unlock Your True Earning Potential
  • You're My Favorite Client
  • Undercover User Experience Design: Learn How to Do Great UX Work with Tiny Budgets, No Time, and Limited Support
  • Platform Revolution: How Networked Markets Are Transforming the Economy--and How to Make Them Work for You
  • Remote Research: Real Users, Real Time, Real Research
  • Escape Velocity: Free Your Company's Future from the Pull of the Past
  • Just Enough Research
  • How to Make Sense of Any Mess: Information Architecture for Everybody
  • Content Strategy at Work: Real-world Stories to Strengthen Every Interactive Project
“We’ve found that magic happens when we use big whiteboards to solve problems. As humans, our short-term memory is not all that good, but our spatial memory is awesome. A sprint room, plastered with notes, diagrams, printouts, and more, takes advantage of that spatial memory. The room itself becomes a sort of shared brain for the team.” 12 likes
“By asking people for their input early in the process, you help them feel invested in the outcome.” 4 likes