Start by marking “Heart in a Box” as Want to Read:

Heart in a Box

Each heartbeat leads Joss closer a shocking truth that will change everything.

Joss Olstad wins the fight to switch from her private school to a public high to “find her pieces” she lost when the Indian artist father she never knew died. There, Joss struggles with a slutty friend, who flirts with her new love; Indian Culture Club girls who press her on her past, as well as
ebook
Published December 20th 2015 by Inkspell Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Heart in a Box, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart in a Box

Start your review of Heart in a Box
Nikita (Njkinny's Blog)
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone

Heart in a Box by Catherine Stine is the first book by her that I have read and this was a different type of story that had me entertained till the end.

The cover and the unusual title were the first things that attracted my attention towards this book and then the interesting blurb sealed the deal for me.

The plot is simple and yet the author has implemented it beautifully. Intriguing the readers right from the start the book takes us on a journey of the u
Christine Rains
Nov 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Joss Olstad found private school stale and stifling. As she starts at a public high school, she's determined to find herself amidst the diverse student population. Her hopes begin to crumble as one friend flirts with her boyfriend, the other Indian girls act judgmental, and her hippie mother refuses to tell her anything about her father. Joss is losing herself even as she trying to find herself. A school project draw out the secret wishes of her heart, and she dares risk everything by going to d ...more
Charity
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For full review please go to: 5girlsbookreviews.blogspot.com, Twitter @camartinez and Facebook "5 Girls Book Reviews"

REVIEW BY: Arianna, age 13 years, 1 month

MAY CONTAIN SPOILER:

This book was really moving.

One girl is trying to juggle true love, a broken family and high school. In many ways this book sounds like a cliche, but for the most part, it is really great! I think it spins what would would be an unoriginal tale into a really interesting and unique book.

My favorite character is Will bec
Holly
Heart in a Box was my first read by Catherine Stine, though I actually have both of her YA sci-fi novels. This contemporary undertaking was a really lovely story of a teenager on the cusp of womanhood who is struggling to define who she is. Josse (pronounced “You-see”) Olstad is a young woman born to a mother of Nordic descent and an Indian father. She kind of hates her “ethnic” name and prefers to go by Joss. She has a great sense of humor, not too snarky or snotty. She has solely lived with an ...more
Lynda Dickson
Dec 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ages 14+
Shelves: young-adult
When she is seventeen, Joss transfers from a Manhattan prep school to a Brooklyn public school, where she promptly falls in love-at-first-sight with William Torres and befriends the wild, blonde beauty Katya. Joss's Nordic mother is unconventional, to say the least, but she doesn't want Joss to follow in her wild ways and is very secretive about Joss's father. The only thing Joss knows about him is that he was Indian, and the only thing of his that she has is a hand-made, painted box. Joss makes ...more
Amy
Feb 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A new to me author! I loved the way the story flowed! I loved that she was mixed race and learning about her family little bit by little bit. And how she had such good relationships with her friends at school and was able to mend ones that weren't so great. Loved it! Definitely will read more from this author!
Kim
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the flow of this book and the up's and downs of life of a teenager and the difficulty of understanding adults. It's about growing up and the pains teenagers go through trying to find themselves and the secrets that parents keep from kids saying they are protecting the kids when they are only protecting themselves.
United Indie Book Blog
I loved it! Catherine Stine is a new author to me. I was hooked by the mystery if Jose's family. String character development. Interesting plot lines. A great story with an solid ending. Jose is determined to figure out her family background. I definitely will be reading more from Catherine Stine. I could not out down the book until I finished it.

by Chantelle
Paula Genereau
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received a copy of the book for my honest review. I liked this book. It was different from anything I've read before.

Stacie Williams
Jan 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Awesome cover and title.
Shelly Wygant
Jun 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great YA read of a girl who is trying to discover herself and navigate her teenage years.

We meet Joss as she is entering a new school. Travel along with her as she makes new friends, has a crush on Will, tries to fit in and struggles with one of her classes. This was a story that flowed well as we get to know Joss and her friends. Joss is also trying to get along with her mom, who is opposite of her and get to know her more about her father.

Ms. Stine did a great job of writing a sto
Michelle Kidwell

by Catherine Stine

Mark My Words Book Publicity
Teens & YA

Pub Date 04 Dec 2015

I am voluntarily reading and reviewing an arc copy of Heart in A Box through the publisher and Netgalley.

Joss Olstad wins the fight to switch from a private school to a public school after the father she never knew died. Her Father was an Indian artist and her Mom spends must of her time stoned.

Will Joss be able to find out who she really is and find out her missing pieces.

I give that book five out of five
Chantelle Bouffanie
Angela
Jun 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not a bad book. Wish there was more depth to the characters. Not sure if this is the first in the series but the ending was rather abrupt
Catherine Stine
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Ruth
Enrapturous
Dec 06, 2017
Daniella
Mar 02, 2018
Catherine Stine is a USA Today bestselling author of historical fantasy, sci-fi thrillers, paranormal romance and YA fiction. Her novels have earned Indie Notable awards and New York Public Library Best Books for Teens. Catherine's newest historical fantasy, Witch of the Wild Beasts, was a second prize winner in Valley Forge's 2019 RWA Sheila Contest.

She loves spending time with her beagle, writi