Start by marking “i love this part” as Want to Read:
i love this part

i love this part

"Two girls in a small town in the USA kill time together as they try to get through their days at school.

They watch videos, share earbuds as they play each other songs and exchange their stories. In the process they form a deep connection and an unexpected relationship begins to develop.

In her follow up to the critically acclaimed The End of Summer, Tillie Walden tells the
Published November 13th 2015 by Avery Hill Publishing Limited

David Schaafsma
A short elliptical sweet and sad story about a relationship between two teen girls, with lots of space and not much dialogue that juxtaposes tableaux-type depictions of fragments of their relationship with sweeping landscapes and detailed architectural studies of buildings. Subtle lavender washed pen and ink images, emotionally resonant.

Here's 4 or 5 panels from it, so lovely.

Valentina Quiceno
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
La historia de estas dos chicas que haciendo cosas cotidianas juntas terminan enamorándose; los dibujos son preciosos, la verdad es que podía quedarme sumida en ellos durante mucho tiempo. La historia es preciosa, llega con el inicio en calma, un desarrollo que comienza a pitar como una locomotora, y luego el final: real y expectante; te deja con el corazón en la mano.
Isa Cantos (Crónicas de una Merodeadora)
Tillie Walden nos cuenta en Esta Parte Me Encanta cómo el amor puede surgir con las situaciones más pequeñas, cómo puede hacernos sentir como lo más grande del universo... pero también cómo puede acabarse por miedo al qué dirán y a qué pensarán los demás. Con ilustraciones preciosas que transmiten un montón de sentimientos, nos encontramos con una historia que nos romperá el corazón.
MariNaomi
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic
This book was so beautiful, the story so earnest, I cried a little as I read it.

Note 1: I was in public, sitting at the Retrofit Comics table at SPX.
Note 2: I hate crying in public. But it was worth it.
Josi
Sep 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: gelesen-2018

This is really cute but way too short to get attached to the characters and their story so only 3.5 stars from me.
Sylwia (Wish Fulfillment)
More like 3.9
This is a very short graphic novel story that goes through the highs and lows of a relationship between two young girls. It's both concise and subtle, so even though it's short, it makes an impact. I enjoyed it!
Madalyn (Novel Ink)
Mar 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-march-19
well now I’m sad
Esteban Parra
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Una mirada contemplativa y cotidiana por una historia de amor tan aguda como bella. Tillie Walden saca un provecho tremendo de la bicromía del apartado gráfico para enfatizar las etapas, las sensaciones y los sentimientos que van pasando en el avance de la relación entre dos chicas.

Una novela gráfica llena de nostalgia, música y desolación.

Reseña completa: https://goo.gl/PrrrNm
Rachel
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, comics
Deceptively simple: adolescent girls gone giant in giant, scenic landscapes because that's exactly what adolescent love feels like--huge and outsize and epic and impossible. Perfect use of color and scale and scope--I swooned mightily. A real gem, though I wish it were longer.
El Cuaderno de Chris
Mar 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e1
Este libro es una bonita y triste historia de amor de dos amigas adolescentes. Un libro con situaciones que todos hemos vivido y que al final se trata de una historia universal de amor entre adolescentes. Recomendada leerla, las ilustraciones son tan bonitas y tan reveladoras.
George Lester
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-june-2017
It's only short but it's just gorgeous. Stunning artwork and such an incredible story told so sparsely. Yes!
Ghazaal B.
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Erm, :-? What?
(I liked the structure though, like mini flashbacks allover the book.)
Ishani Jasmin
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
tremendously tender and lovely and sad. i saw a lot of myself in this, and i think i was meant to. made me scared to be alive, but glad someone understood enough to illustrate where i was. tillie walden looked into my big dumb heart and got me, and i don't like that she did it, but i can't begrudge her that.
Jason
I love the juxtaposition of landscapes with the extra large figures. It creates a timeless setting for the two main characters which any reader who's been there understands immediately. It makes the way things work out between the two characters all the more tragic.
Mari Julieboe
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourites
nice to know that i can get my heart broken in less than five minutes! but this was so so beautiful
Derek Royal
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
A nice, short, contemplative narrative.
Lisa Lee
Jan 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: female-author
i am hurt.
Bäumchen
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhh es ist sooo süß! So ganz alltägliche Ausdrücke von Liebe <3 Kurz und schön illustriert und perfekt.
Cindy Roa
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una historia sencilla y a la vez muy diciente, en la que los colores nos cuentan tanto o más que los textos mismos. Una historia nostálgica sobre el amor y lo que queda después de él...
Hannah Garden
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics, march-2019
Tille Walden is . . . a wunderkind? A martian? A genius?

She is.

Daisy
Quality Rating: Five Stars
Enjoyment Rating: Five Stars

Wow. How do I talk about a book that affected me so much with so few words and such quiet but powerful images? This graphic novel is a stunning look at learning how to not be straight, and the struggle with accepting that. There's a lot of obvious American contextual stuff, but I think it's a universal story for the LGBT+ community, and why I think it's so effective in saying so little; if you know the situation, you know exactly what each pa
Diana
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Este libro tiene muchos detalles que hacen que lo narrado se sienta muy personal, los gestos entre las chicas, la puntualidad de los momentos, los colores, los detalles del dibujo e incluso la música, una música ausente pero que va guiando el ritmo de la historia, y también la forma de mezclar la arquitectura con los cuerpos, es genial, ese es, tal vez, uno de los elementos más hermosos del libro.
Mary
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
oof
Sooraya Evans
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
A decent attempt at making a less erotic version of Blue is the Warmest Color.
nelkku
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
gorgeous artwork and a lovely little story
Tatiana
Dec 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tatiana by: ny mag
Well that was small and lovely and heartbreaking.
Theresa
Jan 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fucking OUCH. I was not prepared for how emotional this made me. It's so simple and understated, and yet it makes a huge impact on the reader. This story very accurately depicts something I went through myself when I was in high school except (view spoiler) ...more
Maggie Gordon
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, queer
My heart is full of ache and this was just beautiful. Tillie Walden is at her best when she talks about human emotions through a somewhat abstract lens. In this case, looking at queer love through subtly strange imagery that shifts throughout the book, returning to something almost normal at the end. Prepare for tragedy and a hollow feeling inside. Never has teenage love and heartbreak felt so weighty. Damn Walden and her beautiful illustrations that rip your chest apart!
Aleksandra
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
oh wow I didn’t except it to be sad.

This graphic novella is so marvelously done, the imagery and the visual metaphors are excellent. I feel that visual art format can offer so much to story-telling and Tillie Walden nails it! It’s so good, she’s so good!

I definitely recommend to read this melancholic and beautiful story about two sapphic girls in school.
Zedsdead
Mar 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Excerpts from the friendship of two girls. These are single-page, context-free snapshots, capturing the two subjects in a series of both casual and emotional moments. Other people appear rarely and only in the background.

The purple-black watercolor(?) illustration sometimes makes them look immense, ten or fifty feet tall, but it's always ambiguous, like it just might be a trick of perspective. It's a neat effect.
  • O Human Star, Volume One
  • Space Battle Lunchtime Vol. 1: Lights, Camera, Snacktion
  • Pregnant Butch: Nine Long Months Spent in Drag
  • Corps sonores
  • Fetch: How a Bad Dog Brought Me Home
  • The Indelible Alison Bechdel: Confessions, Comix, and Miscellaneous Dykes to Watch Out For
  • Heavy Vinyl, Vol. 1
  • The Pervert
  • Chainmail Bikini: The Anthology of Women Gamers
  • The Divided Earth (The Nameless City, #3)
Tillie Walden is a cartoonist and illustrator from Austin, Texas. Born in 1996, she is a recent graduate from the Center for Cartoon Studies, a comics school in Vermont. Over the course of her time at CCS she published three books with the London based Avery Hill Publishing. She has already received an Eisner Award nomination and two Ignatz Awards for her early works. When she is not drawing comic ...more