Start by marking “Sweet” as Want to Read:

Sweet

Not every love story is a romance novel.

For Jules Burns, a lonely baker, it is the memory of his deceased husband, Andy. For Teddy Flores, a numbed-to-the-world accountant who accidentally stumbles into his bakery, it is a voyage of discovery into his deep connections to pleasure, to the world, and to his own heart.

Sweet is also the story of how we tell stories—of what we
Published February 4th 2016 by Interlude Press

To ask other readers questions about Sweet, please sign up.
Alysia Constantine If you're asking whether this is that, no, that's a different writer.

John Maddalena
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful story about life, love, grief and the moments in between. It's these moments that give us pause and make us anxious and sweaty palmed. The subtle ways we flirt. The times we are blinded by our emotions. The uncertain sadness felt after a loss, and the skeptical exhilaration of the start of something and someone new.
Also, the food and recipes mentioned throughout sound absolutely amazingly delicious!
An amazing debut novel. Highly recommended.
Juxian
Dec 08, 2016 rated it did not like it
Jesus. No. Shudder. This kind of book and me just don't mix. Incredibly verbose. Very poetic. I can take poetic in small doses but when there is nothing but poetic - thank you, no. Too much prettiness and sweetness. Nothing happening. Always "not there yet" and "near misses". No story, just words. Dragging for so long that I completely stopped caring. Bored to tears. Sorry.
Aղցela W.
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 200-300pg, m-m, library
This was a really good read that I borrowed from the library. Jules Burns is a lonely baker mourning the loss of his husband, Andy. Teddy Flores is a numbed-to-the-world accountant who accidentally stumbles into his bakery and, with the help of a mouthy baker’s assistant, some good pastry and Jules himself, rediscovers his deep connections to pleasure, to the world and to his own heart. This book had me hooked from the first chapter. This book has some desert that I really wanted liked sunshine ...more
Jude Sierra
Jan 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
From the first paragraphs of this book two things were obvious. First, the author was doing something *different* with the style of this book and second, it was so beautifully written, I *had* to see what it was.

Beyond the honestly stunning prose and very clear style of this book was a very simple and yet also hearty story. The narrator of the story tells us this so clearly -- the characters carry both a story that isn't new (heartbreak, healing, love, attraction etc.) but, as is with all of ou
Skye Kilaen
Gorgeously written M/M love story between widowed bakery owner Jules Burns and trapped-in-a-cube accountant Teddy Flores, who unexpectedly ends up in the bakery one rainy morning. It has a fairy-tale feel complete with narrator that speaks directly to the reader. In the hands of a less skilled writer this could feel clunky, but Constantine is quite skilled. This book is so kind to its main characters, especially when they're wrestling with guilt, grief, and fear, and it's so warm and loving. If ...more
Charlie
Jan 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was lucky enough to be offered an advance review copy of delightful Sweet by Alysia Constantine. Invited into the world of Jules’ bakery and all its delicious enticements, this clever romance has everything you could possibly want; from slow burn meet cutes, tragic backstory, knowing narrators and a couple that you champion through all of life’s little missteps. It is Two Boys Kissing meets Chocolat, by way of a delicious array of cupcakes & confectionary, and a little bit of haunting.

Jule
Joyfully Jay
Feb 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

Every once in a while a book comes along that is not what was expected. Sweet falls into that category for me and I was thoroughly entertained, moved, and riveted during the time I spent with this book. It was not time spent with one specific character, but time spent in their world and a good portion of the book had the same feel as watching a play where it’s the immediate moments that are the most important.

The prose here is filled with many words and feelings
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Love, loss, grief, joy...and chocolate! This is such a beautiful story. Awkward and tender, gentle yet thoughtful, I fell immediately in love with both Jules and Teddy. I loved the slow build up and the exquisite baking.

Teddy and Jules meet through glimpses, words and bakery treats. Jules can write and he can bake but he is still mourning the loss of his husband and suffering from almost paralysing social anxiety. Teddy is very sweet, but a little grey and lacklustre when we first meet him.

The
Moriah Gemel
Jan 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
You should read this novel very much like you’d savor a fudge chocolate cake–slowly, savoring it, one bite at a time. Not like I did. I devoured it like I was starving, quickly and all at once. Do as I say, not as I do. This book deserves to be savored, because it’s delicious, and so different from so many other books. The narrator speaks directly to the reader–transcends the fourth wall. But that’s not all that’s different. It’s a delight, full bodied story interspersed with blog posts that are ...more
Misty Fritz
Nov 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Much to my delight, I received an advance copy of Sweet to review, and I sped through it with an almost insatiable hunger. Constantine's lyrical turn of phrase is unmatched, and the story moves at a satisfying clip, helped along by a delightful group of side characters -- especially 'Trice, the bakery assistant.

The book is magical (yet mostly realistic) all the way through, but there is one plot point that I felt would have made more sense, and been more emotionally satisfying, if it had gone an
Pene Henson
Jan 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The leads are charming and self-aware, the prose is sprinkled with tiny sparkly thoughts about life and love and reality and imagination. The omniscient narrator voice makes the whole endeavor read a little like Stranger than Fiction, without the taxes. Also the baked goods sound delightful.
Melissa Mendoza
Page Count: 246
Heat Level: 4 flames out of 5
Rating: 4 stars out of 5
Blurb:

Not every love story is a romance novel.

M. Jane Colette
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Sweet

Confession: I grabbed this book off a library shelf without looking at the title, author’s name, blurb, or back, because I liked the cover. There you go—readers do make choices that way.

I fell in love with it from the first page—essentially put life and work on hold until I got to the end. It’s beautifully, lightly written—it reads the way a perfect dessert should taste, and that’s a metaphor that you will appreciate all the more if you read the book.

I actually don’t want to tell you anythi
Rachel Leigh
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What TOTALLY WORKED for me:

The language: Oh my lord, people. This is sensory poetry. Do you know that moment when you read prose that somehow captures an ineffable sensation you’d never quite put into words? Reading this book is like having that moment over and over again for 250 pages. It took me ages to pick out a favorite quotation that wasn’t simply a snapshot of an entire page.

The wit: This novel is perfectly aware of what you, the reader, expect from a love story. It knows the tropes and p
amy
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
I fell in love with the story during the first chapter. The lush writing, the real characters, the stumbling towards romance, the “greek chorus” of the narrative speaking directly to the reader all work together to make this something special. While I’ve always had a love affair with baked goods, I’ve gained a new appreciation for gourmet pastries after reading their wonderfully detailed descriptions and how they retain the love and care of their creator before transferring to the lucky person w ...more
Michelle Osgood
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I fell painfully, impossibly in love with this book--but not recklessly. From page one the narrator warned me that Sweet wasn't a typical romance, so I began with my heart tucked carefully away, and guarded. Much like Teddy, I didn't want to feel too much.

But of course that's not how love works.

Reading this book isn't a passive activity. It's active, it's engaging, it makes you suddenly aware of your body--a thing almost the antithesis of reading, and romance, and escapism. I'd heard, of course
Elizabeth
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
A wonderful love story of two people who are adrift and find something important within themselves. Grief and longing and settling for what's safe and taking the leap into a new life and the sensual language of pastries. Delicious.
Monica
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful. Wistful and sweet and decadent. Makes me long for a sweeter more simple life.
Julian Winters
May 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reading Sweet by Alysia Constantine is a lot like venturing through a carnival. The writing is like cotton candy—airy and meltingly sweet on your palette. At times, it's dizzying and exciting like riding the Tilt-A-Whirl. There's moments that stick with you, like a caramel apple against the roof of your mouth. And there are other unexpected pages of wonder, like the Funhouse, that tickle your insides to a completely unpredictable high.

Told in a very whimsical way, Sweet doesn't remain in one gen
Paola Galindo
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved every part of this book. Specially enjoyed the writer's point of view. The description of the desserts made my mouth water. What a beautiful love story.
Isabella ~Mikku-chan~
Full RTC but here is a small praise from me for the book. *.*
Rachel
this was so lovely I felt emotions im tired but I feel my point comes across
Stella ╰☆╮╰☆╮
REVIEW @Scattered Thoughts and Rogue Words

I’m in the minority here cause readers seem to have loved Sweet. I didn’t love it but I liked it. I don’t think I’ll going to reread it in the next future but I am so grateful to have discovered a new to me author.

Jules is still recovering from the death of his husband Andy, a recovering spent in Buttermilk’s kitchen, his bakery, doing what he knows and does better, be a pastry chef. He doesn’t have a lot of relationships outside her kitchen, apart from
Shannon Brown
Sep 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a lovely, lovely bit of magical realism. A fairy tale for the modern age, this certainly lived up to its title, while -- like the best pastries of master baker Jules Burnes, the sweet love story is leavened by some sorrow and tragedy, in the way that the most heartfelt moments in life are often bittersweet.

I was surprised by the unexpected twist two thirds through, but I thought it was actually a gentle and quite effective way to take on the burden of grief and grieving and give it weight
Cynthia
Feb 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I received this book for an honest review from Goodreads Giveaways. It was a great book on how to deal with relationships. Even thought this book is written about 2 men it could be any kinda of relationship on how to deal with being shy, and so unsure what you want in life. One of the gentlemen is a baker and owns a bakery that makes wonderful pastries, and the other gentlemen who is a CPA who happens to come in one day and the wonderful assistant know that they should be together and they both ...more
Suzey Ingold
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has a very unique and interesting narrative style from the first pages: a sort of breaking of the fourth wall that adds to the whimsical and (if you'll pardon the pun) sweet feel of the story. It borders on fantastical in parts but not in any way that would detract from the story that's being told; if anything, it adds further dimensions that you could never have seen coming. I am left with just one, teeny tiny question... When do I get the accompanying recipe book?!
Sonia
Jun 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
I really enjoyed this. The language is vivid and lush, and the characters are fleshed out and real, even as their romance is at times rather...well, magical. There's a nice balance between fairy tale and the realities of grief and loss, and I loved the blog posts connecting baking to all the different ways we love each other. I wish that blog really existed!
Sadie
Jan 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
-Originally reviewed for Prism Book Alliance-
Actual rating: 4.25 stars

Oh my gosh, this book is DELICIOUS. I want to wrap myself in a pastry of its delicate, detailed prose and roll around in a bowl of its soft, sexy…everything…for dessert.

Jules is witty and brave inside the shell of his grief, and Teddy has been repressed for so long he almost doesn’t know how to interact with folks outside of his safety bubble at first. Their road to friendship (and later, love) is as slow and sweet as molasses
Heather
May 21, 2018 rated it did not like it
DNF. Got halfway through this joyless slog before finally admitting defeat and quitting in frustration.

So I picked it up because I'm always on the lookout for a gay love story with a happy ending. Those can be as rare as unicorns, and the recommendations on this one drew me in. So what didn't work for me?

The pretentious conceit of the narrator (of the "Dear Reader" variety), who interjects regularly into the story to mock the reader for getting emotionally invested in fictional characters, carin
Andrea Ríos
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sweet and oh so beautiful. As it's said, and repeated in the book, this novel is about the intrinsical components of our everyday life. Whether it's the joys and sorrows of falling in love or the grandeur and completeness we may find in the simplest of tasks.

I don't know. It makes you want to wax poetic and look around you as if everything were just a bit brighter and better. It brought back to me one of the things that I love most about literature, how with writing and words everything can be l
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Definitely, Maybe, Yours (Sucre Coeur #1)
  • Broken Records (Spotlight, #1)
  • Beneath the Shield (Arbor Heights #1)
  • Bleeding Heart (Mi Corazón Sangrante #1)
  • Sotto Voce
  • Small Wonders
  • Forever Man
  • Secrets in the Air (Secrets, #1)
  • He Speaks Dead
  • Céilí
  • Learning from Isaac (Tarnished Souls, #1)
  • Speakeasy
  • Platonic
  • Hush
  • Black Dust
  • Designs on You
  • Shatterproof
  • Lunch With the Do-Nothings at the Tammy Dinette
Alysia Constantine lives in the Lower Hudson Valley of New York with her wife, two dogs and a cat. She is the author of the novels SWEET and OLYMPIA KNIFE (coming November 2, 2017).

In another life, Alysia was a professor at an art college in NYC. In a life before that, she was a baker/cook for a baker/caterer. In a life even before that, she was a miserable gay teen studying to be a concert violi