Start by marking “Vinyl (Vinyl #1)” as Want to Read:
Vinyl (Vinyl #1)

Vinyl

(Vinyl #1)

All citizens within the soaring black walls of Revinia have metal Singers grafted into their skulls at birth. The parasitic machines issue a form of auditory hypnosis called The Music, which keeps their minds malleable and emotions flat. All artistic expression—especially real music—is strictly prohibited.

On the edge of the city, nineteen year old Ronja struggles to
Published November 26th 2015 by Calida Lux Publishing

Start your review of Vinyl (Vinyl #1)
Sophia Hanson
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book at a very difficult time in my life. It brought me back to myself, and because of that I truly love it. I am so incredibly thankful for the amazing response I have received from my readers, you all mean the world to me. I cannot wait to share the sequel with you this coming year!

May your song guide you home, Anthemites!
Maria
May 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
let me start by saying that this book has a very original concept for a dystopian novel. of course it's not a very well-known novel because it is a self-published book but I feel like if people just picked up this book they would enjoy it. when it comes to the YA community we tend to stay towards the following publishers MacMillan harpercollins and random house, and there's other branches in between but they usually are these publishers. I'm not going to give this book a rating at the moment ...more
stefansbooks
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
UPDATE January 13, 2018: The last book is coming out in April 2018 omg

UPDATE January 11, 2018: Can we talk about how I can't recommend this series enough to you? The second book was actually even better, and I can't have book 3 soon enough ugh.

I gave this book 4.5/5 Stars! It was really good, full review coming soon BUT if you're between buying and not buying this book: BUY IT!!

Full Review: (originally posted on my blog http://stefansbooks.blogspot.com.cy/2... )

This review containts 0 spoilers,
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
(1.5 stars) There is... so much to complain about here. So very much. Can we start with the writing? We should probably start with the plot but we're starting with the writing because what the fuck.

I'm at a loss. I hardly know where to start. The constant epithets? The misused words? The awkward phrasing? Actually, the epithets, 100%, because I have a vendetta against those specifically.

Fun experiment, raise your hand if you have been personally victimized by Sophia Elain's Hanson's epithets!
Cherry (_forevermint)
Dec 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: author-requested
Actual Rating: 4.5

Dystopian at its best.

Sophia Hanson is a talented writer, weaving a tale of hardship, suffering and oppression with an underlying theme of music in a lush fantasy/steampunk setting. Her apt and vivid descriptions bring to life a world, familiar yet horribly altered by the little machines feeding emotion-numbing music into everyone's ears.

Vinyl is full of characters, refreshing and achingly real, some are easy to love while others are easy to hate. The main protagonist, Ronja,
Maitha
Jan 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
Sophia you did a great job for a book from a youg writer
. . . . . . . . .
What the book is about?

It basically about a government who controls their people by a device called a singer which is compound in one of their ears and contact to their brain. The Singer controls their emotions toward the government and also the feelings of the citizens and their memories by sending songs thats have special vibrations to do the job. ( every question you have will be answered in the story, with every
Carla
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
May your song guide you home.

Second read:
It’s still a pretty damn good book two years after the first read!!!
I don’t know why the world is still sleeping on this series?! WAKE UP!

First read:
I'm so happy that this was my last read for 2016. It was (personally for me) a very shitty year and I'm glad to be over with it in a few hours. However, this book was pure gold. I had a few issues with dystopians lately (I guess I just read too many (& bad ones)). I know this book is not that famous but
Jay G
Nov 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Want to see more bookish things from me? Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

Video Review to come on Dec 4th: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsHbA...

In the city of Revinia, everyone is fitted with a metal device embedded into their skull called a Singer. These Singers play The Music, sounds that are controlled by the government and a man who calls himself 'The Conductor'. The Music is designed to make people comply, to rid them of emotions. Ronja, a nineteen
Lauren
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever sat down to read a book and just been so immediately absorbed that you forget you're reading? Well, that's how I felt when I started reading this book. Sophia Elaine Hanson has one of the most incredible writing styles I've ever had the pleasure to come across.

I absolutely adored everything about this book from the characters- I mean Ronja is one of the most badass characters ever but also so damn human- to the incredibly fucked up world that resides in these pages. The whole idea
Jennifer Wilson
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Officially one of my new favorite dystopians!

Within the pages of Vinyl, Sophia Hanson has created a world of both beauty and humanistic horror. Her eloquent writing style draws readers in and refuses to let them go. In this supressed world where the Music reins, her characters grow and develop as they discover what freedom really is. Fast-paced, dramatic, action-packed and creatively unique—Vinyl is a must read. I cannot wait for the sequel!
Jenna
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
4.5 ...more
Maham Farhan
Aug 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hands down one of the most amazing dystopian I've ever read. It's freakin amazing I swear. Sophia has created such a dark and amazing world, and I just couldn't stop marvelling at how good she was at writing through out the book, truly talented. I fell in love with the characters, and have grown so attached to them. All of them, it's like they are real people. The characters, the plot line, the writing, everything is absolutely on point. I can't believe why everyone isn't raving about this book ...more
Peter
Sep 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a very solid debut, and a fresh twist on YA dystopian fiction. Gritty, with a taste of steampunk. Recommended.
Luv2read
First off let me say that we all know dystopian has been done to death lately. I myself was thinking I needed a break from it. But, something about this one peaked my interest and I've been looking for something to pull me out of this lull I've been in. I'm so glad I decided to read Vinyl. It had an original take on the genre. The starring couple, Ronja and Roarke, who are not yet really a couple, intrigued me. Especially Ronja. And the ending had a twist I didn't see coming. I truly could not ...more
Ari Reavis
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
Meh... I was bored... Got a little interested..... Bored..... Skimmed from 37% to 75%. Then it finally got interesting. One of the main things in the book was that Ronja's mom, and maybe Ronja herself, was a mutt. I did not find out what a mutt was or why a mutt was made until 87%. That was highly annoying to keep hearing how she's not a mutt and about how people bullied her for being a mutt and not know what the hell a mutt was. I just didn't connect with any of the characters. Got bumped to 2 ...more
Tasha
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favorite aspect about this book was probably the concept. Everyone is outfitted with these Singers, that are in your ear and the Music makes sure you're a good citizen and aren't getting up to anything rebellious.
I wasn't a big fan of the ship in this. I like Ronja and Roark as characters themselves but I just didn't feel the connection between them. I actually like the idea of Ronja and Henry ((view spoiler)).
At
S.W.
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great book that I'm so glad I discovered.

This book is one of those surprises that seem to pop up every so often. Believe it or not, I saw this one on a couple of Tweets and it was the cover that first hooked me. Then, I think I picked it up from a Bookbub offer. I like to mention how I heard about a book, as I know the author would love to know this info.

Right from the get-go, I was hooked with this one. I think the style of story, and the great characters were a winner. The main protagonist
Kaylin Beach
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"PASSION IS PERILOUS
EMOTION IS TREACHEROUS
DISOBEDIENCE IS DESTRUCTION"

Vinyl by Sophia Elaine Hanson blew my mind! I didn't know where my mind was when I was done reading! I had no idea what to think, and I had no words to describe how I felt about what I had just read. Vinyl is probably the most creative story I have ever read. Sophia's mind is goldmine.

Sophia introduces us to a young girl named Ronja. Ronja lives in a world where The Music rules your entire life. Most people have a singer,
Tamara
Sep 01, 2016 rated it liked it
I'm truly surprised so little people picked this book up. It was quite a surprise.

The idea of the novel was a recycled idea, yet was transformed into something new. The author wrote a unique story based off of the same dystopian worlds we've read about before.

So basically, the author's world consisted of the people being controlled through The Music. This Music makes you obedient to the Conductor, who is in another word, a tyrant to the people. The Music is attached to the citizens' ears with
Kelsey
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5

This book was a dystopian novel. But it wasn't the dystopian novel we have all read at one point or another. So many twists and turns, I couldn't put it down. Ronja is such an interesting character, it was easy to root for her and the friends she finds through the book.

The half star is just for some clunky phrasing in a few parts of the book. Hardly a deal breaker. Highly recommended this new twist on a classic genre!
Kiera
Sep 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I posted my review on my blog if you're interested in hearing my thoughts!! Spoiler alert: loveeed it!
Kylie
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed this read, couldn't put it down.
Kadie
Dec 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a roller coaster of emotions and I didn’t put it down until I finished it
Brenda Heming
Mar 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
New and unusual concept!

I enjoyed this book. I read all YA books before my granddaughter and her cousins to be sure it's acceptable. This book passed every test. Lots of excitement, tested loyalties and romance!
tara
Jun 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars. would have been five but my fav character died for nooo reason which was honestly such a downer lol. the cliffhanger at the end was insane i need the next one asap.
Steph
May 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
The Good:

The premise was great, very imaginative, a dark and gritty world.
Characters were nice and flawed, (just how I like them).
Nice pacing and the story arc finished before a mild teaser for the next book which I love, I can't stand cliffhanger endings.

The Annoying:

Sloppy editing and letting terrible, terrible phrases get through like: "...she unbraided herself internally". Like, it's upbraided and it appeared at least twice.

"Her stomach hit the floor. A pin dropped in the halls of her mind."
✧ k a t i e ✧
"Passion is perilous, emotion is treacherous, disobedience is destruction."

Can I give this 6 stars? 7 stars? Because it damn deserves it. Vinyl is one of the best (and original) dystopian novels that I've read in a long time.

Within a few chapters of starting this book, I knew it was going to be good. I could not put this book down. Everything in this book I loved. It's gritty and dark but Sophia Elaine Hanson writes it so well.

Ronja is a feisty, sarcastic protagonist. And Roark? Yeah, I'm in
Melleny
Feb 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was just phenomenal. I enjoyed every second Of this book. This book replaced The Hunger Games. And I honestly think that everyone should read it

My favourtie quote came this book and the context is is beautiful. Sophia has done an amazing job and honestly I would read her shopping list because that's just how much I have loved this book. I Could change one thing, I would change how many copies of this I had or I would change the fact that I don't have her shopping list.

My love and
Bookish_Diana
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviews-tbr
This was amazing. It was this action . Much has happened . There were times that I could not put the book and do something else , because he was so addicted that half of the book read . It was something that even I dreamed that I was the main character and someone rescues ... haha . Something similar like Divergent , but it's not the same. Life is like a district. To live with something you can not get up yet. I recommend it for fans of sci - fi / dystopian / action novels . I will definitely ...more
NANCY HANSON
Dec 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't wait for the others!

It grabbed my attention in the first few pages and kept it threw the entire book. I couldn't put it down and finished it in 2 days. It's futuristic but that doesn't slow down the plotline . I don't read that much science fiction, but I will follow this author's work .
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Vinyl Flooring 1 3 Mar 02, 2018 01:05AM

• Out of Beat (Boys of Fallout, #1)
  • Honeybee
  • Fathomless
  • Something Strange and Deadly (Something Strange and Deadly, #1)
  • I Am Still Alive
  • Like Water
  • Ungodly (Goddess War, #3)
  • Mortal Gods (Goddess War, #2)
  • Quintessence
  • Chased by Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #1)
  • Steel Crow Saga
  • Fate of the Fallen (The Shroud of Prophecy, #1)
  • Stained
  • Get Bent (Hard Rock Roots, #2)
  • Clouded By Envy (Laith, #1)
  • Nowhere But Here (Thunder Road, #1)
  • Bound by Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #2)
  • Fortress of Fire (The Cloud Warrior Saga, #4)
Sophia has been writing novels, short stories, and poems since she was still losing her baby teeth. Along the way she amassed an impressive 35 Scholastic Art and Writing Awards including two National Gold Medals for science fiction short stories. As a Scholastic alumnus she joins the ranks of many great authors including Truman Capote, Sylvia Plath, and Joyce Carol Oates. Her work has been ...more

Vinyl (3 books)
  • Radio (Vinyl #2)
  • Siren (Vinyl #3)
“May your song guide you home.” 8 likes
“It was as if the voice of the violin sparked the wicks of each individual soul, jolting them from sleep.” 7 likes