Start by marking “Lucie: Bride of Tennessee (American Mail-Order Bride #16)” as Want to Read:
Lucie: Bride of Tennessee (American Mail-Order Bride #16)

Lucie: Bride of Tennessee

(American Mail-Order Brides #16)

Overwhelmed with responsibilities after the death of her parents, Lucie Croft accepts a mail-order bride contract. When she and her twelve-year-old brother arrive in Chattanooga, Tennessee, life throws another hitch into her dreams when she learns her groom is dead. Homeless and desperate, she accepts help from a handsome hotel owner.

Sebastian McCord understands what it t
Published December 4th 2015

To ask other readers questions about Lucie, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucie

Start your review of Lucie: Bride of Tennessee (American Mail-Order Bride #16)
N.N. Light
I quite enjoyed this story. This author and series are new to me but that didn't detract from my reading experience. I didn't feel lost and each character was appealing to me, even the baddies. Lucie was a great heroine and I swooned a bit over Sebastian. If you love historical western romance, especially mail-order brides, you'll love this one!

Disclaimer: I read this on Kindle Unlimited

My Rating: 5 stars
Vikki Vaught
While I loved the story, the characters needed a bit more depth. I saw several opportunities where the author could flesh out her story, making is a more emotionally-charged read.

If you are looking for a fast-paced, easy read, one to while away a lazy afternoon with charming characters, then you will enjoy Lucie: Bride of Tennessee. Happy reading!
Debra Parmley
Tennessee adventures

Since I've lived in Tennessee for the last twenty years I had to read this one.

I've always loved damsel in distress stories and I enjoyed the way Sebastian always came to Lucy's rescue.

A fun read. I read this book straight through in one day.
Kelly  The Sassy Book Lover
I loved that this one was set in Tennessee. They were definitely two people that needed each other even though they said they didn't. From the start, they are both drawn to each other but try to forget about it. I was not expecting the twist with her boss but loved how Sebastian took care of things. I loved his mother and boy was his daughter a handful but when she came around it was not like I expected.

Lucie was determined to take care of her brother no matter what. I loved her spirit and that
Dana Dobias
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good Story but has some minor inaccuracies

This is the 16th story in the American Mail Order Brides series (Tennessee was the 16th state). Although the female lead did work at Brown Textile Factory, all of the book is set in Tennessee. The basic story is good and believable,but there are minor inaccuracies such as Lucie grabbed her mother 's shawl and a short while later we're told the cookbook is the only thing she had from her mother.
gary c lehn
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyable story..

I loved the way author has told her touching story of a young woman's trails and hardships. Heidi (I have always loved that name) has mixed in just the right amount of romance and drama into the story.
Donna
Jul 11, 2019 added it
No Regrets

I loved this book! One never knows what they will get when answering an ad for a Mail Order Bride. You don't always get what you want! I'm the end she gets much more than she could have imagined.
Kasey
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I definitely enjoyed this one. The beginning was good but the ending was great. I enjoyed the characters and progression of the story. Very enjoyable.
Sharon
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: qwn-it
Better than the last book in the series that I read.
Jennifer Guffey
Lucie: Bride of Tennessee (American Mail-Order Bride #16)
By: Heidi Vanlandingham
4/5 stars

Out of necessity, Lucie had taken the mail-order bride route when the textiles factory had burned down. She was taking care of her younger brother, who had to quit school & take a job selling the newspaper amongst other odd jobs. They were both orphaned, and Lucie didn’t want her brother to end up in an orphanage. However, when she reached Tennessee, she found out that her groom-to-be was dead and she had no
Rocky
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Bride of Tennessee: Lucie and Sebastian's story

Book 16 in the American mail-order bride series begins with Lucie and her brother, Alex, on a train going from Massachusetts to Tennessee. Lucie has agreed to become a mail-order bride after having lost her mother to consumption at a young age, and then when she was nine she lost her father and step-mother in a house fire. She has taken care of her brother for the last ten years but when the factory where she worked burned down the money ran out. Wh
Kathy
Feb 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Lucie is a girl in her teens and for most off her life she has been both parent and sister to her younger brother. When the textile factory burns down and leaves her unemployed she agrees to be the bride of a man in Tennessee. Upon her arrival with brother in tow she is informed that her fiance has died. Thanks to a kind sheriff and a hotel proprietor and his mother, Lucie and her brother are given a place to stay. She is a sweet girl beaten down by life and this was a tender and uplifting story ...more
Melissa
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sweet Story

I really liked this story . Lucie went to Tennessee with her younger brother to be a mail order bride. When she arrives, she finds out the groom has passed away. Sebastian owns one of the hotels in town. He offers her and her brother a meal and room for the night. He is drawn to her but has no plans to remarry. She needs a home and he needs a mother for his daughter This was a great story about finding love where you least expect it. I enjoyed all the characters in this book.
Robyn Echols
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Delightful Story

This well-written romance had a well-defined cast of endearing characters, each with their own personalities and quirks. There were several tense moments during Lucie's efforts to provide for herself and her brother after discovering the man she had contracted to marry died before she arrived. She continues to have her challenges which kept the plot interesting. Goog description of the setting.
Kathy
Oct 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Her groom was dead when she got there

He needed a mother for his daughter and she and her brother needed a place to live and a way to support themselves. Liked the way the story made him realize that he needed to marry her.
Shirley Bennett
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: western
A very charming novella - with good-hearted characters. Gives a small glimpse into the past and shows the strength of will that Lucie has. It was a fast easy read and I may just have to look for some of the other books in this series!! I was given this book in exchange for my honest review.
Cindy
This series was my first experience with multiple authors working together to write a series on a large scale. I enjoyed every book in the series and found several new authors that I hadn't read before. ...more
Patricia
Feb 28, 2016 rated it liked it
Actually 2.5 rating. I thought the premise was clever, having the man die before he could meet this mail order bride and have her marry another stranger. I enjoyed the first half of the story more than the second half.
InD'tale Magazine
This novella packs a lot into one story: there are dead parents, a murdered spouse, and even a dead potential spouse.

Read full review in the 2016 June issue of InD'tale Magazine.
Donna
Jan 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Good book.
Vera G
Jan 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Family

I have been reading this series of books and I really like them. This book is my favorite so far. I am looking forward to reading all of them.
Donna Rogers
Dec 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great read!!

This is the first book I've read from Heidi Vanlandingham and I loved it!! Great book.
Can't wait to read more from this Author...
Cindy Nipper
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully sweet romance where Mother knows Best!!!
Betty smith
Another great book in the American Mail Order Bride series. This is the first time I have read a book by Heidi Vanlandingham, and I can't wait to read another one. ...more
Nancy
Sep 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
I love this series! It was a good read!
Brittany
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historicals
I enjoyed this one a great deal! Looking forward to the next one.
Alexis
Oct 01, 2017
C A
Nov 26, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Amelia Changes her Fellow (The Mismatched Mail-Order Brides, #2)
  • The Christmas Plan (The Mismatched Mail-Order Brides Book 8)
  • A Bride for Clay (The Proxy Brides, #2)
  • The Peashooter Society's Plan (The Mismatched Mail-Order Brides, #1)
  • Miranda (Mail-Order Brides of Sapphire Springs, #1; Brides of Beckham)
  • Molly Switches her Man (The Mismatched Mail-Order Brides #6)
  • Nadine Trades her Partner (The Mismatched Mail-Order Brides #7)
  • Avalee Exchanges her Fiancé (The Mismatched Mail-Order Brides, #3)
  • A Love Blooming in the Silent Ranch
  • A Bride for Jack (The Proxy Brides #30)
  • The Untangling of Two Hearts
  • Lacy (Pendleton Petticoats #5)
  • An Enduring Love to Heal Her
  • Thimbles and Thistles (Baker City Brides #2)
  • Irene and the Neighbor (Prairie Tales Book 5)
  • Barclay (Bachelors and Babies, #4)
  • Dallas (Bachelors and Babies #5)
  • Mail Order Sarah
**Join my Reader List for updates on future publications: http://bit.ly/2GuDRoJ **

Whether writing historical western romance, epic fantasy, or paranormal, Heidi Vanlandingham’s books are sweet, where characters are inspired to overcome life’s hardships and loving families build strong communities.

Heidi's words:
I grew up near the panhandle of Oklahoma—what I claim is the “treeless armpit” of the st

American Mail-Order Brides (1 - 10 of 50 books)
  • Lottie: Bride of Delaware (American Mail-Order Bride #1)
  • Willow: Bride of Pennsylvania (American Mail-Order Bride, #2)
  • Hope: Bride of New Jersey (American Mail-Order Bride, #3)
  • Mollie: Bride of Georgia (American Mail-Order Bride #4)
  • Edwina: Bride of Connecticut (American Mail-Order Bride #5)
  • Beth: Bride of Massachusetts (American Mail-Order Bride #6)
  • Adelaide: Bride of Maryland (American Mail-Order Bride #7)
  • Jessie: Bride of South Carolina (American Mail-Order Bride #8)
  • Rachel: Bride of New Hampshire (American Mail-Order Bride #9)
  • Katie: Bride of Virginia (American Mail-Order Bride #10)

News & Interviews