Start by marking “Bird Box” as Want to Read:
Bird Box

Bird Box

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  85,955 ratings  ·  12,362 reviews
Something is out there, something terrifying that must not be seen. One glimpse of it, and a person is driven to deadly violence. No one knows what it is or where it came from.

Five years after it began, a handful of scattered survivors remains, including Malorie and her two young children. Living in an abandoned house near the river, she has dreamed of fleeing to a place w
Audio CD, Unabridged
Published May 14th 2014 by HarperAudio (first published March 27th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Bird Box, please sign up.
Charlotte Yes, supposedly, I know this question was asked six months ago, and I hope you see this answer. In the inside back cover of my copy, it tells me that…moreYes, supposedly, I know this question was asked six months ago, and I hope you see this answer. In the inside back cover of my copy, it tells me that the film rights have been sold to the director who directed the film, Mama. So, I'm not sure if it's actually being made into a film, but supposedly the script is in place at the studios. As somebody else said, I'm not sure how they'll cover the creatures, because in the book it's easily left to the imagination as they are never explained or even seen by the reader--so the movie could easily ruin the premise if they screwed up on that big detail.(less)
[Name Redacted] No, the author is writing a series of unrelated novels, each one focused on a different one of the five primary senses -- the next one is about…moreNo, the author is writing a series of unrelated novels, each one focused on a different one of the five primary senses -- the next one is about hearing ("Black Mad Wheel").(less)

·  85,955 ratings  ·  12,362 reviews

karen
this is an incredibly original horror/psychological suspense novel that reminds us that with all great horror, the unseen is so much more terrifying than the seen. this is why japanese horror movies are so effective. they don't rely on graphic special effects to build the suspense, and the way they manipulate shadows, sounds, and background space creates an unparalleled atmosphere that leaves a more lasting, haunting impression than "crazy chainsaw-toting psychopath" splatter films. which, don't ...more
Jeffrey Keeten
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeffrey by: Will Byrnes
Shelves: post-apocalyptic
”Creatures…
infinity…
our minds have ceilings, Malorie...
these things...
they are beyond it…
higher than it…
out of reach…
out of--

BUT HERE”

photo closed-eyes_zpsd72b92b6.jpg
Whatever you do DON’T OPEN YOUR EYES!!

Malorie has just confirmed she is pregnant the very day that people begin killing themselves. News travels so fast now. Something can happen in Cairo. Someone can film it, load it to the internet, and within minutes of the event occurring someone in Des Moines is watching what happened. News, mostly tragic news, from around
Raeleen Lemay
Oct 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Night Film
(rating bumped from 4 up to 5 stars after thinking about it more)

A few days ago when I finished this book, initially I was pissed off and disappointed at the ending. It leaves a lot of questions unanswered, but upon a few days' reflection I've realized that it was the only realistic way this could end. SO, if you are wary of reading this because you don't want an open ending, don't be! Malerman made the right choice in leaving some things unknown, because ultimately it works best for this type o
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

Holy crap on a cracker, y'all! This book! Creepsville!! AND I LOVE IT!!

Don't freaking go outside without your blindfold or you might open your eyes.

I must say, if I had to choose what apocalypse I would be in, I would pick the zombies because at least you can go outside and see them and kill them. Unless you're blind and then your up sh•t creek.

One day they start getting reports of people seeing things and then turning violent and killing people and themselves. And of course you start thinkin
Kaceey - Traveling Sister
Hold on tight...this trip is going to blow your mind!

Horror is a genre that I normally avoid completely, but with the rave reviews from my GR friends for this book I felt I needed to step out and give it a try. And it was so incredibly good! Oh my God!

Malorie and her sister Shannon move in together in Detroit. Life immediately throws her a curve ball. Malorie learns she's pregnant from a brief encounter with someone she didn't know well, and thinks this is as bad as it gets. Not even close! Some
Will Byrnes
Close your eyes and imagine the basso sound of voiceover icon Don LaFontaine intoning, “In a world gone mad…” and that is pretty much where Bird Box begins. Open your eyes and go mad. Kill others, yourself. Can you keep from peeking? For how long? In Josh Malerman’s post-apocalyptic, eye-opening scare-scape, something happened. An invasion? Some natural phenomenon? No one is really certain. But what has become clear is that anyone who steps outside with their eyes open goes insane, not just gibb ...more
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(3.5) I feel like this isn't the most popular opinion but I thought this was overall okay.

A great premise, I loved the flashbacks but I hate with a burning passion when things are left opened. If it's aliens, tell me and I'll love it. If you leave things unsaid, I'll assume you had no idea how to finish your book. The ending wasn't as shocking as others have said. Overall a bit underwhelming after seeing all the rave.

In light of the movie I thought I would update this review. The movie absolutel
Norma * Traveling Sister
Sister Read Review by Norma & Brenda

Update: I watched the Netflix adaptation of this book and absolutely loved it but I was definitely more scared and creeped out while reading the book though.

Holy Shooty Balls this was one heck of a creepy book!

5 creeped out Stars for Norma & 4 freaking out Stars for Brenda!
So for the purpose of this Sister Read it gets a combined rating of 4.5 Stars!

BIRD BOX by JOSH MALERMAN is a wonderfully creepy, scary, eerie, and downright terrifying tale that
Justin Tate
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
**Update: It's awesome to see the movie adaptation bring deserved attention to this book! I read it over a year ago and it hasn't left my mind since. Haven't seen the movie yet because I was scared they would ruin a masterpiece, but it sounds like Netflix did it justice. Here's my original review:

So glad to be recommended this book! Would never have picked it up otherwise. The cover art looks like a tacky mystery, but it's actually a character-driven horror story!

The fear of the unknown is ever-
jessica
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
‘in a world where you cant open your eyes, isnt a blindfold all you could ever hope for?’

welcome to creepsville, usa
population: this book

boy, what a trip. although i wouldnt personally consider this a horror (only because it didnt scare me), it is definitely a spooky story. i really enjoyed the unique premise, the atmospheric writing, and how much it made me think.

but i thought the most compelling part of this story was actually malorie and her constant worry about her kids. sometimes it felt
Matthew
Creepy, tense, scary! (The below lines are kind of spoilerish . . . but nothing the description on Goodreads doesn't already mention)

Unable to use your eyes for fear of madness . . .

Unseen and unknown terrors roaming outside . . .

Trapped inside with the windows covered . . .

The sanity of your companions in question . . .

Running out of supplies . . .

Seeking salvation, but not sure where to find it or who to trust . . .

Pregnant . . .

This was intense and a must read for horror and thriller fans eve
KAS
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jaw dropping, to say the least!!

A friend who I trust implicitly, recently listened to this book, loved it, and mentioned it was made into a movie. So of course, I had to give it a whirl and go in completely blind, pun completely intended.

The first few pages had me asking myself, “What the ‘CRAZY WHAT’ is going on here?” Believe me it got crazier, more intense and more chilling with each chapter.

The book itself has been out for a number of years, but as per usual, I was late to the party, but gl
JV
In the fashion of the Great Cthulhu and the mythological pantheon of Lovecraft's mysticism as well as the inevitable annihilation of the human population in M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening", dawns a much darker reality filled with a myriad of pervasive fears, psychosomatic phenomena, and harrowing possibilities that later culminates with a thrilling yet hopeful, open-ended denouement.
"In a world where you can’t open your eyes, isn’t a blindfold all you could ever hope for?"
Humanity lies in
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Where the hell do I start with reviewing this book? Unlike nothing I've read in a long time this one is a stand out read like no other for me this year. I had wanted to read this for ages and so glad I finally did.

Emotions stirred reading this book I think covered them all, I noted how on edge I was constantly reading this novel. From early pages to the last I was fixated, addicted and full of tension, bordering on fear at times.

Something is out there, something terrifying that must not be seen.
Mandy
Apr 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Just wow! Bird Box was amazing! This definitely lived up to the hype that everyone spoke of. I highly recommend this book if you want your mind to be twisted and turned in ways you can't imagine. Creepy, terrifying, horrid, and downright scary! Loved it! Would make an interesting movie......
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
2.5 stars.

I would not last in the apocalyptic world set out in this book. My dad used to say I had nose problems because let's face it. I have to know what's going on. Walking around for 4 years with a blindfold on every time I went outside? Yeah, dead in less than 60 seconds.
Not this kind of blindfolded either.

This book doesn't give the reader many answers. I do know what the author was going for. The whole scary in the mind of the reader thing. The thing is I need some answers. I get all ants
Kevin Ansbro
I’m ###typing% this with a scarf* over£ my eyEs, so pLease# forgive @any typos+

Please, please don’t do what I did, my fellow bookaneers.
Don’t watch the movie first.
This is a big mistake and to be avoided at all costs.

The story began pulse-like. Staccato sentences that suited the stop/start tempo of a life lived in fear. Malerman’s Morse code narrative drew me in from the start.
In an apocalyptic alternative reality, an abstract thing inhabits our planet; a demonic indescribable entity that if ga
Trudi

Whoah. This is some really good shit. Color me very impressed. I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked this one up, but it totally delivered on tension and suspense, a palpable dread, and a suffocating sense of doom.

Just as a launching off point I'm going to throw two pop culture references at you that I couldn't stop thinking about while reading this book. The first is the music video "Just" by Radiohead. Remember that's the one where there's this guy who just lies down in the
Berit☀️✨
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
4 Unsettling Stars 🌟🌟🌟🌟

don’t open your eyes!

What the **** did I just read? This book was NOT what I was expecting... at all! It was disturbing, creepy, and kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time.... just going to put it out there if I were in this situation, in this post apocalyptic world, I would so be gone in the first day.... just saying....

Something is out there, something that makes you go mad if you lay your eyes on it.... mad to the point you will kill others, yourself, or both..
Matt
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Matt by: Laura Rash
Shelves: audiobook
After having this book so highly recommended to me by one of my friends on Goodreads, I decided to delve in to see what Josh Malerman might have to say in this twisted novel. Early into the story, Malerman introduces readers to his protagonist, Malorie, a young and somewhat fearful woman. Scrubbing the walls and carpets of blood stains, Malorie appears highly agitated and yet focussed on her task at hand, which serves only to up the ante of what is yet to come. The reader soon learns that someth ...more
Annet
Wow, what a book! Seriously scary and creepy. You just have to keep reading to know how it ends. At least, I had to.... Who can think of such a story...
Suspension and creepiness from start to end, intriguing story. What's going on? What happened leading up to this situation? Will she and kids survive? .... Wew.... one h*ll of a story.
I say, this is also a seriously impressive case of woman power! Great, great, entertaining book.
AB: Looking back at my books in 2015, upgraded this one to five s
Maciek
Bird Box offers a well-known premise - the world as we know it suddenly coming to an end, and the few who survived trying to cope with the new reality - but with an interesting twist (certainly a desirable addition to the formula which, much as I enjoy it, is now beginning to resemble a really dead horse). This is both a good, and a bad thing - and the book is also both these things, as it began well but ended up being disappointing.

The hook of Bird Box is, like in much post-apocalyptic fiction,
Tom Lewis
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Close your eyes. There’s something standing in front of you. Something so monstrous, and beyond human comprehension, that anyone who sees it goes insane and kills themselves and others. This is the new reality for a young mother, Malorie, and her two kids, as they navigate blindfolded down a river in an effort to reach what they hope will be a sanctuary. It’s part survival horror, and part scary as f*ck!
Carol
Holy Shit! Why did I wait so long to read this thriller?

Wonderfully creepy from start to finish, Bird Box made me feel the eerie presence of the mysterious creatures behind my blindfold and hear the sounds of madness! It takes an awful lot to creep me out, but Bird Box succeeded with the suspenseful intenseness of the unknown all the way to the apropos ending.

Be very careful who you trust, but do not miss out on this one! And, oh.....(view spoiler)

Update:

Amalia Gavea
''There are things out there that will hurt you.''

Even though thrillers aren’t among my favourite reads, this one had all the right ingredients. A mix of Dystopian Fiction with a healthy dose of Paranormal and two extremely interesting main characters. It was creepy and fascinating.

News of a series of completely abnormal action begin to reach the USA. In a contemporary world, violent deaths start from an area in Russia and escalate, spreading everywhere. What is it that makes these deaths horr
Sh3lly (grumpybookgrrrl.com)
1 DEC 2016: Only $1.99 on Kindle! Totally worth it (to me at least.)

Image by https://hitrecord.org/records/312779
(because some people think you can't post one image from a Google search without crediting somebody. I mean, it's a book review. I'm not claiming ownership or anything.)

You can't ever look at it or you will go violently insane. That is basically the premise of this book. What is it? What are they? Why are they here? What is it that people see that makes them go crazy? You'll have to r
Sadie Hartmann Mother Horror
Wow. This book. If books are like a movie in my mind, this one is absolutely terrifying. The author, Josh Malerman, particularly preys upon some distinctly female fears, in my opinion.
Our protagonist, Malorie, is young and a little naive. There is a global calamity going on and she seems very preoccupied with her own circumstances.
As a reader, you are concerned with our protagonist's perspective--can she navigate through this story safely for us? I wanted a more reliable, capable protagonist to
Beverly
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Don't open your eyes warns the cover of the book, but instead I didn't close mine as I finished this treasure in one night. Bird Box is such an original premise and is written so very well, its author creates a world of people driven mad by what they see, so seeing itself becomes forbidden. I don't usually read horror, but I am glad I made an exception for this gift box.
Jennifer Masterson
4 1/2 stars but I'm rounding it to 5 for originality. I could not put this book down for the last 100 pages. If you like the Walking Dead, horror or just a good scary thriller than this is the book for you. I hope there is a sequel and a movie!
j e w e l s [Books Bejeweled]
FOUR STARS

I'm not a huge fan of horror, so I always sort of pushed back on this book and never read it when it was published in 2014. This, despite the wonderful ratings it had received from some of my favorite reviewers on Goodreads.

Then, it happened. I saw the labels “dystopian” and "post apocalyptic”. Now we're talking! Those are descriptions that speak my lingo. Some of my most beloved books are a mixture of both of those sub-genres: Station Eleven, Dark Matter, The Girl With All the Gifts.
Indian Readers: Feb 2019 BOTM (ii) - Bird Box 14 87 14 hours, 28 min ago
Movie vs Book 9 66 Feb 08, 2019 12:57PM
Books2Movies Club: * Bird Box - book and adaptation 2 12 Feb 06, 2019 10:55AM
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • Those Across the River
  • Raising Stony Mayhall
  • Come Closer
  • The Eaton
  • Brother
Josh Malerman is the author of BIRD BOX and the singer/songwriter for the band THE HIGH STRUNG.
“It's better to face madness with a plan than to sit still and let it take you in pieces.” 163 likes
“How can she expect her children to dream as big as the stars if they can't lift their heads to gaze upon them?” 25 likes