Start by marking “The Forgotten: Aten's Last Queen” as Want to Read:
The Forgotten: Aten's Last Queen

The Forgotten: Aten's Last Queen

(The Forgotten #1)

Reviewed and awarded the 2016 Indie Editor's Choice by the Historical Novel Society.
Long listed for the Historical Novel Society 2017 Indie Award.

"I am King Tut’s wife, but my name is barely a whisper in history’s memory. I was the last of my family to survive the Aten revolution. I had a child at age 12 and was forced to marry three times. But that didn’t mean my story ended badl/>Long
Published November 11th 2015 by J. Lynn Else (first published August 15th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Forgotten, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Zoe Saadia
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful!

A lover of historical fiction, especially novels put in unusual, "unexplored" by historical fiction, times and places, this novel gratified the reader in me greatly, leaving me satisfied, but wishing for more. If there was a sequel to this novel I would have picked it right away, despite the perfectly rounded-up ending, even.

Not an expert on anything ancient Egypt related, I found it a delight to learn all about Akhenaten and the possible motives to his actions,
Peggysue
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rate this book a 4.5 of 5 due to editing error. This is a combination of actual facts and fiction. The story is told from the point of view of king tut's great wife, the only pharoah that only had one wife and never had a herem. king tut was the half brother of his great wife. throughout egyptian history pharoahs took their sisters, daughters, granddaughters and such as their wives to preserve the royal bloodlines which produced many deformities and deaths of the babies from the incestous marr ...more
Toni Poll-Sorensen
Beautiful prose! I am not a fan of ancient historical fiction but this novel is mesmerizing ! I learned so much about the beauty and horror of the time! Careful research and documentation is masterful !
Lauralee
Ankhesenamun is the third daughter of Akhenaten and Nefertiti. Her early life was happy until her father becomes obsessed with giving birth to a healthy son. She watches in horror as her father commits atrocious crimes for his god, Aten. Once Tutankhamun becomes king, it seems that her nightmare is over and a peaceful era has begun. She marries Tutankhamun and becomes his queen. However, Ankhesenamun realizes that peace is merely an illusion because behind Tutankhamun are power-hungry men that w ...more
Liz
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoy the history of Egypt and Israel and thought I would try The Forgotten.

The author gives a table of content and an alphabetic listing of characters at the beginning of the book. I wish I had marked their location on my Kindle so I could easily refer to them I finally did so and it allowed me to keep the names clear in my mind. The table of content assisted in keeping the myriad dates clear. The story would back and forth from present to past and, since we are reading about BC d
Kourtni R.
This review was originally posted on my blog.

First of all, I want to give a big thank you to J. Lynn Else for being kind enough to send me a copy to review.

To quickly give an overview of the book: the story follows Ankhesenamun, or An, who was King Tut’s wife and sister. She was also the daughter of the previous Pharoah. We get to see her grow up and become the Queen alongside King Tut. We see her go through a lot.

For some reason, this book took me forever to get thro
Kate Ashley
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The extent of the author’s research was impressive and it certainly paid as it added a sense of reality to the story. What made the story so real, however, was the depth each character, main or supporting, had.
For fans of historical fiction, specifically that based on the ancient Egypt civilization, and readers who like stories based on an untold figure in history, this book may just find you delightfully surprised.

Read my full review at UndergroundBookReviews(dot)org!
Lorraine Rankin
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book! I read both books in the series and they were both well researched and brought the characters to life. Enjoyed reading! I love reading books about Egyptian history. Definitely recommend.
The FountainPenDiva, Old school geek chick and lover of teddy bears
Rating: 2.5

The Forgotten: Aten's Last Queen wasn't bad. It just tried to do too much. I made it to the half-way point and just could not finish.

There's not a lot known or written about King Tutankhamen's wife Ankhesenamun save for a letter she may have written to the Hittite king asking for a prince to marry after the death of
Jj
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Forgotten: Aten's last Queen by J. Lynn Else
I loved this book! It's set back in ancient Egypt, but the author has a great way of making the characters come to life! J. Lynn Else is beautifully descriptive in her writing, so you feel like you are there, can see the things they see, and can almost reach out and touch the scenery. She effortlessly weaves the historical information in with the fiction, creating a rich story full of love, loss, betrayal, faith, and family. There are twists
Emma Sotillo
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"...I only had 70 days before a heir to the throne had to be named. For this task, I would trust a foreign prince instead of the snakes that seemed to slither around the halls of the palace, slowly undulating toward me like the darkness encroaching on the city."

I think the above paragraph summarizes the 400+ pages of challenges worth of ancient gods, pharaohs, and queens. I enjoyed this historic-fiction book and I praise how well it was researched by the author.
etherealfire
Aug 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Kindle e-book
Alice R. Jones
Aug 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mesmerizing

I felt like I was taken back in time and I did not want the story to end. My emotions were taken on a rollercoaster ride.
Kait
Nov 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I have ever read!
Beverly Coplen
Sep 20, 2019 rated it liked it
The Forgotten

This story is good but to me it was hard to keep up with since it jumps from the past to the ‘current’ time and then back and forth through the entire book.
J. Else
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
She was more than just an image in stone. She was more than just a pharaoh’s wife. At an early age, Ankhesenamun had to navigate her people through religious upheaval and political dissent. Her life was threatened, but she did not back down. When paths were barred, she carved out a new way. And when sacrifices had to be made, she gave with everything she had.

Ankhesenamun was a girl who had to grow up too fast. She loved and lost, but she never gave up. In this story, a strong woman i
J. Else
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)

J. Else
Oct 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition

Emily
Aug 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good story about one of the less written about Egyptian Queens - Ankhesenamun. Unfortunately, this book suffers from a lack of historical evidence, which leads to the author's need to fill in the blanks. J. Lynn Else has done her best, I'm sure, but the "Moses" / Jewish subplot feels quite forced. The parallels drawn between the worship of "Adonai" and Aten are somewhat overwrought.

Two other personal issues: Firstly, I didn't particularly like the narrative device of chapters alter
Amanda Schnall
The book suffers from historical inaccuracies and is overly-ambitious in trying to weave together the story of Ankhesenamun and Moses.

The Amarna period and the religious revolution is an era ripe for gripping fiction; however, it takes a ton of research and the ability to make sense of what is essentially a collection of theories and unknown identities to do so, and I don't think this author has done that.

It's not terrible by any means, but I do think it suffers from the issues desc
Glenn
Feb 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cheryl Wiegert
Creative way to fill in historical blanks

I'm fascinated by Egyptian history: Tut and his family in particular. This book answers some of the questions in unexpected ways. It's not a page turner but worthwhile read for history buffs who're OK with a little creative license.
Camille Thomas
Michelle
Dec 22, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Last Heiress: A Novel of Tutankhamun's Queen
  • The City of Refuge (Memphis Cycle, #1)
  • The Crook and Flail (The She-King, #2)
  • Men of Bronze
  • The Siege (Agent of Rome #1)
  • The Dagger of Isis
  • Hetaera: Daughter of the Gods
  • The Other Alexander (The Bow of Heaven, #1)
  • Girl Mary
  • Ancient Greece: Everyday Life in the Birthplace of Western Civilization
  • The Hittite
  • Daughter of the Gods: A Novel of Ancient Egypt
  • The Golden Dice (Tales of Ancient Rome, #2)
  • Chronicle of the Queens of Egypt: From Early Dynastic Times to the Death of Cleopatra
  • An Army of Angels: A Novel of Joan of Arc
  • The Rape of the Nile: Tomb Robbers, Tourists, and Archaeologists in Egypt
  • Selene of Alexandria
  • The Drowning King (Fall of Egypt #2)
J. LYNN ELSE loves reading and writing about awesome women from antiquity. Besides history, she also gets nerdy with Star Wars, Star Trek, and MST3K. She’s self-published two historical fiction novels set in ancient Egypt, The Forgotten: Aten’s Last Queen and The Forgotten: Heir of the Heretic. Descendants of Avalon, Awakenings book 1 a YA Fantasy with interwoven elements of the legends and people of King Arthu ...more

The Forgotten (2 books)
  • The Forgotten: Heir of the Heretic (The Forgotten #2)
“Living in beauty can dull your appreciation for such things.” 1 likes