Start by marking “Don't You Cry” as Want to Read:
Don't You Cry

Don't You Cry

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  34,042 ratings  ·  3,625 reviews
In downtown Chicago, Esther Vaughan disappears from her apartment without a trace. A haunting letter addressed to My Dearest is found among her possessions, leaving her roommate Quinn Collins to question how well she really knew her friend. Meanwhile, in a small town an hour outside Chicago, a mysterious woman appears in the quiet coffee shop where eighteen-year-old Alex G ...more
Published May 17th 2016 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Don't You Cry, please sign up.
Rachel
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sharitb
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
When Breath Becomes Air by Paul KalanithiThe Secret to Hummingbird Cake by Celeste Fletcher McHaleRedemption Road by John HartAll the Ugly and Wonderful Things by Bryn GreenwoodMy Name Is Lucy Barton by Elizabeth Strout
2016 Best Books
283 books — 426 voters
A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. MaasEmpire of Storms by Sarah J. MaasHarry Potter and the Cursed Child by John TiffanyCrooked Kingdom by Leigh BardugoLady Midnight by Cassandra Clare
Best Books of 2016
1,516 books — 2,621 voters

More lists with this book...

·  34,042 ratings  ·  3,625 reviews

Chelsea Humphrey
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
My experience thus far with Mary Kubica: I read The Good Girl and, while I enjoyed it and found it extremely well written for a debut novel, didn’t think it lived up to all the hype it received. I have yet to read Pretty Baby but will do so in the near future. But this one. Wow! I was completely blown away as I was expecting something of the same old thriller, but it was so much more.

The story is told in alternating points of view by Quinn (a girl who’s roommate Esther goes missing) and Alex (an
Maureen
Jan 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bad. Oh so very bad. Pages upon pages of prattling on about nothing. Literally nothing happens in this book until the final 30 pages and even that action is overwrought and implausible. Oddest vocabulary choices on top of a terribly written book. Ugh.

ARC from publisher.
Deanna
Nov 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
A couple of years ago I read "The Good Girl" by Mary Kubica and really enjoyed it. I thought the book description for "Don't You Cry" sounded promising and I was looking forward to reading it.

When I first started the book I had a bit of a hard time getting into it. I kept getting confused. I think part of my confusion with the book was due to some formatting issues. A couple of chapters or sections looked like they were kind of smooshed together which made it hard to figure out whose point of v
Quinn wakes up one morning to her roommate Esther’s alarm, but no Esther. Where could she have gone? She wakes up every Sunday morning to sing in church choir. She is “Saint Esther” after all. Maybe she left early forgetting her alarm... But her window that goes out to the fire escape is wide open. Something isn’t right - a thought confirmed more and more the longer Esther is missing. Realizing the police might not care so much at this point, Quinn starts trying to figure out where Esther could ...more
Jennifer Masterson
Bam! 4 Stars for "Don't You Cry"! The beginning was shaky but it all came together in the end! I listened to the audio version. It had pretty good narration. It was a little precarious in the beginning but the two narrators did a descent job in the end. This is worth reading or listening to JUST for the ending!!! I tried playing detective and I still didn't figure this one out! Woot!!! Love when that happens!

This novel is told from two different viewpoints. Each with it's own narrator.

I almost p
Linda
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cry Me A River.......

Or would that be more appropriately a lake? That being Lake Michigan and Chicago as our setting here. Frigid November and plunging temperatures. A girl could easily be swept away in the Windy City.

And that's exactly what happens to Esther Vaughan. Her roommate, Quinn Collins, hears the blaring alarm going off before 6 AM and the sight of Esther's bedroom window wide open. Quinn faces into the bone-chilling wind coming through that window and into the stark reality that Esthe
MomToKippy
This is aptly titled because I really wanted to cry reading this. Some of the most atrocious prose ever. Monotone. Boring. Clipped sentences. Trite language. Excruciating excessive minutiae of mundane things. (Big words like that not included though.) Like this: She took her hat off. She put it down. She took her scarf off. It was black. She looked out the window. Her eyes were brown. She drank coffee. and on and on and on... And the plot is nonexistent as far as what I read. I may be totally cr ...more
Don't You Cry is a standalone, mystery novel written by Mary Kubica. Although the majority of goodreads reviews are rated at 4 and 5 stars, I didn't quite have the same experience throughout. While I thought the big reveal at the end was certainly whiplash worthy (in a good way), the journey there was a very slow ride for me personally. Add to that my difficulty connecting with the characters in both parallel storylines and it ended up falling in the "just OK" category in my opinion. (view spo
Dec 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016-books, thriller
Mary Kubica gives readers another page-turner with her latest book, "Don't You Cry." While not exactly edge-of-your-seat suspenseful, readers will want to puzzle out what exactly is going on and who, if anyone, might be at risk of danger. The writing is tight, the pace is fast, and readers who love a good thriller won't be disappointed. Readers will have to suspend disbelief for one element of the story, but Kubica is forgiven because the story is so entertaining.

I've kept this review purposeful
Judy Collins
H O L Y M O L Y "Unbelievable"! Top 50 Books of 2016!

When you think Mary Kubica could not possibly top THE GOOD GIRL (2014) and PRETTY BABY (2015) .... landing on my Top 10 Book list for both years; out of nowhere, fizzing along like a slow-burning fuse:

Here comes DON'T YOU CRY (2016). Like no other you will ever read. Kubica, a creative "clever" genius; a "walking" Thesaurus. A writing machine! My Prediction: Best Book for Movie Adaptation and Top Thriller of 2016. Three in a row award.
Gary
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have previously read Mary Kubica's other novels and enjoyed them so it was an easy decision to read her latest offering 'Don't you cry'. The novel appears to be a very slow book and when I started to tell my wife about how much I was enjoying it I realised that although I was loving the read hardly anything of note had happened. I can see that this may not appeal to everyone but I enjoyed the slow build up to a climax you know is going to happen, but when.
The story is about a young woman named
Karen
May 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just ok for me. I really liked The Good Girl and Pretty Baby by this author a lot more.
Andrew Smith
May 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Quinn lives in Chicago. She’s unhappy at work – well, who’d get major job satisfaction from being a photocopy skivvy for a bunch of high earning lawyers – but was desperate to leave home and seek independence. Her flatmate, Esther, is her best friend. Well, she hopes she is. Quinn knows she’s not the best flatmate in the world and when she answered an add for a room she knew she’d be stretching herself financially. In truth, she doesn’t quite cover her half of the rent. She’s untidy too. She lik ...more
Melissa

My feelings for this one sort of fall somewhere in the middle. I wasn’t disappointed, but I wasn’t totally wowed either. The way the author chose to tell the story, with two very different storylines and two distinct voices, led the way to a pretty great ending. One that made me like the story a little bit more.

Quinn is a twenty-something living in Chicago that wakes up to find her roommate is gone. A window left open, a few mysterious letters and a discarded cellphone make it hard to d
Jan
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
This author is quickly becoming one of my top 10 favorite go-to's when it comes to mystery and suspense.

This story is told through 2 voices during the same present time period. Quinn, a young single girl trying to make her way in life in the heart of Chicago, and Alex, who lives in a small Michigan town. Alex is a young man who's path in life was dictated by the actions of his parents. Turning down a full scholarship, he is now a busboy at the local coffee shop, struggling to pay the bills as hi
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
For a long while I did not know where Mary Kubica's Don't You Cry was going. I had my suspicions, which vacillated wildly at times, but I was completely wrong! Not that I minded, for getting to the conclusion was an interesting ride.

Quinn Collins discovers her flatmate, Esther, is missing from their Chicago residence after hearing strange noises coming from her room. Searching through Esther's possessions for some clue as to where she may have gone, Quinn discovers that Esther may not have been
Barbara
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016-challenge

Quinn Collins and Esther Vaughan are friends and roommates that share a Chicago walk-up apartment. After Quinn returns home from a drunken Saturday night out she finds Esther gone. Quinn is troubled but reluctant to call the police. Instead she waits for day after day, hoping Esther returns. She also ransacks the apartment for clues to Esther's whereabouts and calls a mutual friend, Ben, for help.

During her exploration of Esther's things Quinn discovers that her roomate did some odd things befo
Paromjit
Mar 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is a dark and sinister psychological thriller. It is told from the POV of Quinn, whose flatmate goes missing in Chicago and Alex, a lonely cafe worker who becomes aware of a newcomer in a small harbour town on Lake Michigan. He refers to the stranger as Pearl, because of her bracelet as she refuses to give her name throughout. From her description, however, it is Esther. Quinn slowly becomes aware that Esther is missing and this begins to throw her into a blind panic.

Quinn reports Esther as
sue

Mary Kubica is an author I accidentally came across. First time was on Net Galley.
Her secound book was sent to me via her Publicist.
Both books I thoroughly enjoyed so when I was sent an invitational widget to download this book, did I wait? Did I heck.

I had to download this and as I was reading this I thought this was a slow burner, what's happening.

As I read though, it was like someone had light a bomb on a huge line......it was sizzling undercurrent and slowly moving along. Then.....
BANG

I
Melisa
Dec 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thriller
I'm pretty sure I've never, ever read a book quite like this.

Such a slow, slow burn. Although the plot is slow to thicken, there is a constant sense of foreboding, an ominous black cloud lingering.

Mary Kubica is an extremely talented writer, she can depict overwhelming yet understated doom and gloom like no one. I also had no idea what was going on, how the pieces were going to come together - gotta love when an author can take you on a ride like that. This is my favorite of her three books.

I d
Catherine McKenzie
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an early peak at Mary Kubica's sure to be blockbuster third novel. Kubica is a master of surprising twists and this book is no exception. Every time I thought I had it figured out, she went in another direction. Great characters, atmosphere and suspense blend perfectly in this impossible to put down thriller.
abby
May 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-thriller
When Esther disappears, her roommate Quinn realizes just how little she knew about the person she considered her best friend. She searches Esther's room and her phone, and discovers one shocking piece of evidence after another. Perhaps most terrifying of all is what happened to Esther's last roommate. Quinn starts to suspect the girl she's lived with for the past year just might be a monster, and she might be next to die...

Alex is eighteen and trapped in a small town with no future. He gave up a
Ray Palen
May 05, 2016 rated it did not like it
One of the worst books I've read in a long while. What makes it stand out, in a bad way, is all the hype this received. Following Kubica's first two novels, each of which were decent thrillers, she follows up with this snoozer of a novel. Not sure what she was going for. There is little to no suspense or likeable characters. The prose is stilted and distracting and the 'twist' , which comes far too late to save this drippy novel, is ho-hum at best A must to avoid if you are looking for a solid p ...more
Heather
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Def. the best Mary Kubica book I've read yet! So many plot twists!
Julie
Don’t you Cry by Mary Kubica is a 2016 MIRA publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Mary Kubica has a very unique style of writing that pulls me in, little by little, tossing small crumbs of information at me, leaving me ravenous for more details, but always keeping me at arm’s length, oblivious to my hunger pangs.

This spellbinding tale begins with Quinn Collins’ discovery that her roommate, Esther, has disappeared into th
Kimberly McCreight
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mary Kubica does it again! Don't You Cry, an artfully crafted, wickedly smart page-turner about the razor thin line between suspicion and obsession, will keep you glued to its pages--and guessing wrong about who to trust--until its breathless ending.
Wendy
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jun-16
Mary Kubica gives us another psychological thriller that doesn't disappoint. Don't You Cry has a slow start which leads to quite a build up of page turning suspense and a startling conclusion.
The story is told by Quinn and it begins when she discovers her roommate Esther is missing. Uncertain as to what to do Quinn finds signs that Esther might be in danger.
Alex, also a narrator, is a struggling young man who, instead of going to college with his friends, remains at home with his pitiful alcoho
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
$1.99 on kindle today 6-2-17
Aditi
“You will never find the real truth among people that are insecure or have egos to protect. Truth over time becomes either guarded or twisted as their perspective changes; it changes with the seasons of their shame, love, hope or pride.”

----Shannon L. Alder

Mary Kubica, the national best-selling American author, pens her new psychological thriller, Don't You Cry that unfolds a gripping and mystifying story about two women among whom one of them goes missing all of a sudden leaving that woman's
Erin Clemence
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Mary Kubica again delivers in her masterfully written new novel, “Don’t You Cry”.
The story is told from the vantage point of two protagonists- Quinn is a young woman who is quietly spending her days at her menial job, trying to deny her feelings for her very-not-available best friend Ben, until the day her roommate goes missing. Quinn finds mysterious items among her roommates’ belongings (mysterious letters, legal applications for change of name) and she begins to question if her roommate is w

• The Drowning Girls
  • She's Not There
  • Not a Sound
  • The Outliers (The Outliers, #1)
  • Her Every Fear
  • All Is Not Forgotten
  • The Underground Railroad
  • The Pocket Wife
  • Only Daughter
  • Accidents Happen
  • Beartown (Beartown, #1)
  • Girls on Fire
  • The Sham
  • The Blackbird Season
  • Forget Me Not
  • That Night
  • Where'd You Go, Bernadette
  • The Twilight Wife
Mary Kubica is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of four novels. She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, in History and American Literature. Mary lives outside of Chicago with her husband and two children.
“She is beautiful. Magnetic, really, the kind of individual who draws people with her idiosyncratic hair and heterochromatic eyes.” 3 likes
“Or the fact that the rest of the world has moved on, while I'm stuck in a life of stagnancy.” 1 likes