Start by marking “Don't You Cry” as Want to Read:
Don't You Cry

Don't You Cry

3.59  ·  Rating Details ·  13,822 Ratings  ·  1,901 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author of The Good Girl, Mary Kubica returns with an electrifying and addictive tale of deceit and obsession

In downtown Chicago, a young woman named Esther Vaughan disappears from her apartment without a trace. A haunting letter addressed to My Dearest is found among her possessions, leaving her friend and roommate Quinn Collins to wonder where E
Published May 17th 2016 by MIRA

To ask other readers questions about Don't You Cry, please sign up.

Rachel
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Myste I actually think this would be just fine for teenagers (and above), as long as they show an interest in it. It's a good psychological thriller without…moreI actually think this would be just fine for teenagers (and above), as long as they show an interest in it. It's a good psychological thriller without any gore or sex scenes, not much different than your run of the mill episode of Without A Trace, or Law & Order (though much more interesting). (less)

Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 07, 2017 Chelsea Humphrey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
My experience thus far with Mary Kubica: I read The Good Girl and, while I enjoyed it and found it extremely well written for a debut novel, didn’t think it lived up to all the hype it received. I have yet to read Pretty Baby but will do so in the near future. But this one. Wow! I was completely blown away as I was expecting something of the same old thriller, but it was so much more.

The story is told in alternating points of view by Quinn (a girl who’s roommate Esther goes missing) and Alex (an
Deanna
Jul 14, 2016 Deanna rated it really liked it
A couple of years ago I read "The Good Girl" by Mary Kubica and really enjoyed it. I thought the book description for "Don't You Cry" sounded promising and I was looking forward to reading it.

When I first started the book I had a bit of a hard time getting into it. I kept getting confused. I think part of my confusion with the book was due to some formatting issues. A couple of chapters or sections looked like they were kind of smooshed together which made it hard to figure out whose point of v
Jun 27, 2016 Laura rated it liked it
Quinn wakes up one morning to her roommate Esther’s alarm, but no Esther. Where could she have gone? She wakes up every Sunday morning to sing in church choir. She is “Saint Esther” after all. Maybe she left early forgetting her alarm... But her window that goes out to the fire escape is wide open. Something isn’t right - a thought confirmed more and more the longer Esther is missing. Realizing the police might not care so much at this point, Quinn starts trying to figure out where Esther could ...more
Jennifer Masterson
Bam! 4 Stars for "Don't You Cry"! The beginning was shaky but it all came together in the end! I listened to the audio version. It had pretty good narration. It was a little precarious in the beginning but the two narrators did a descent job in the end. This is worth reading or listening to JUST for the ending!!! I tried playing detective and I still didn't figure this one out! Woot!!! Love when that happens!

This novel is told from two different viewpoints. Each with it's own narrator.

I almost p
Linda O'Donnell
Jul 14, 2016 Linda O'Donnell rated it really liked it
Cry Me A River.......

Or would that be more appropriately a lake? That being Lake Michigan and Chicago as our setting here. Frigid November and plunging temperatures. A girl could easily be swept away in the Windy City.

And that's exactly what happens to Esther Vaughan. Her roommate, Quinn Collins, hears the blaring alarm going off before 6 AM and the sight of Esther's bedroom window wide open. Quinn faces into the bone-chilling wind coming through that window and into the stark reality that Esthe
Jan 03, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller, 2016-books
Mary Kubica gives readers another page-turner with her latest book, "Don't You Cry." While not exactly edge-of-your-seat suspenseful, readers will want to puzzle out what exactly is going on and who, if anyone, might be at risk of danger. The writing is tight, the pace is fast, and readers who love a good thriller won't be disappointed. Readers will have to suspend disbelief for one element of the story, but Kubica is forgiven because the story is so entertaining.

I've kept this review purposeful
Maureen
Jan 17, 2016 Maureen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Bad. Oh so very bad. Pages upon pages of prattling on about nothing. Literally nothing happens in this book until the final 30 pages and even that action is overwrought and implausible. Oddest vocabulary choices on top of a terribly written book. Ugh.

ARC from publisher.
Andrew Smith
May 18, 2016 Andrew Smith rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Quinn lives in Chicago. She’s unhappy at work – well, who’d get major job satisfaction from being a photocopy skivvy for a bunch of high earning lawyers – but was desperate to leave home and seek independence. Her flatmate, Esther, is her best friend. Well, she hopes she is. Quinn knows she’s not the best flatmate in the world and when she answered an add for a room she knew she’d be stretching herself financially. In truth, she doesn’t quite cover her half of the rent. She’s untidy too. She lik ...more
Judy Collins
A special thank you to MIRA and NetGalley for an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

H O L Y M O L Y "UnBelievable"! Top 50 Books of 2016!

When you think Mary Kubica could not possibly top THE GOOD GIRL (2014) and PRETTY BABY (2015) .... landing on my Top 10 Book list for both years; out of nowhere, fizzing along like a slow-burning fuse:

Here comes DON'T YOU CRY (2016). Like no other you will ever read. Kubica, a creative "clever" genius; a "walking" Thesaurus. A writing machine! My Pred
Gary
Mar 12, 2016 Gary rated it it was amazing
I have previously read Mary Kubica's other novels and enjoyed them so it was an easy decision to read her latest offering 'Don't you cry'. The novel appears to be a very slow book and when I started to tell my wife about how much I was enjoying it I realised that although I was loving the read hardly anything of note had happened. I can see that this may not appeal to everyone but I enjoyed the slow build up to a climax you know is going to happen, but when.
The story is about a young woman named
Karen
Jun 11, 2016 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was just ok for me. I really liked The Good Girl and Pretty Baby by this author a lot more.

Don't You Cry is a standalone, mystery novel written by Mary Kubica. Although the majority of goodreads reviews are rated at 4 and 5 stars, I didn't quite have the same experience throughout. While I thought the big reveal at the end was certainly whiplash worthy (in a good way), the journey there was a very slow ride for me personally. Add to that my difficulty connecting with the characters in both parallel storylines and it ended up falling in the "just OK" category in my opinion. (view spoil
Melisa
Jul 22, 2016 Melisa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
I'm pretty sure I've never, ever read a book quite like this.

Such a slow, slow burn. Although the plot is slow to thicken, there is a constant sense of foreboding, an ominous black cloud lingering.

Mary Kubica is an extremely talented writer, she can depict overwhelming yet understated doom and gloom like no one. I also had no idea what was going on, how the pieces were going to come together - gotta love when an author can take you on a ride like that. This is my favorite of her three books.

I d
Sue1958

Mary Kubica is an author I accidentally came across. First time was on Net Galley.
Her secound book was sent to me via her Publicist.
Both books I thoroughly enjoyed so when I was sent an invitational widget to download this book, did I wait? Did I heck.

I had to download this and as I was reading this I thought this was a slow burner, what's happening.

As I read though, it was like someone had light a bomb on a huge line......it was sizzling undercurrent and slowly moving along. Then.....
BANG

I
Melissa
Feb 29, 2016 Melissa rated it liked it

My feelings for this one sort of fall somewhere in the middle. I wasn’t disappointed, but I wasn’t totally wowed either. The way the author chose to tell the story, with two very different storylines and two distinct voices, led the way to a pretty great ending. One that made me like the story a little bit more.

Quinn is a twenty-something living in Chicago that wakes up to find her roommate is gone. A window left open, a few mysterious letters and a discarded cellphone make it hard to d
Catherine McKenzie
Jan 05, 2016 Catherine McKenzie rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get an early peak at Mary Kubica's sure to be blockbuster third novel. Kubica is a master of surprising twists and this book is no exception. Every time I thought I had it figured out, she went in another direction. Great characters, atmosphere and suspense blend perfectly in this impossible to put down thriller.
Wendy
Jun 23, 2016 Wendy rated it really liked it
Shelves: jun-16
Mary Kubica gives us another psychological thriller that doesn't disappoint. Don't You Cry has a slow start which leads to quite a build up of page turning suspense and a startling conclusion.
The story is told by Quinn and it begins when she discovers her roommate Esther is missing. Uncertain as to what to do Quinn finds signs that Esther might be in danger.
Alex, also a narrator, is a struggling young man who, instead of going to college with his friends, remains at home with his pitiful alcoho
Aditi
“You will never find the real truth among people that are insecure or have egos to protect. Truth over time becomes either guarded or twisted as their perspective changes; it changes with the seasons of their shame, love, hope or pride.”

----Shannon L. Alder

Mary Kubica, the national best-selling American author, pens her new psychological thriller, Don't You Cry that unfolds a gripping and mystifying story about two women among whom one of them goes missing all of a sudden leaving that woman's
Julie
Don’t you Cry by Mary Kubica is a 2016 MIRA publication. I was provided a copy of this book by the publisher and Edelweiss in exchange for an honest review.

Mary Kubica has a very unique style of writing that pulls me in, little by little, tossing small crumbs of information at me, leaving me ravenous for more details, but always keeping me at arm’s length, oblivious to my hunger pangs.

This spellbinding tale begins with Quinn Collins’ discovery that her roommate, Esther, has disappeared into th
Erin Clemence
Aug 21, 2016 Erin Clemence rated it it was amazing
Mary Kubica again delivers in her masterfully written new novel, “Don’t You Cry”.
The story is told from the vantage point of two protagonists- Quinn is a young woman who is quietly spending her days at her menial job, trying to deny her feelings for her very-not-available best friend Ben, until the day her roommate goes missing. Quinn finds mysterious items among her roommates’ belongings (mysterious letters, legal applications for change of name) and she begins to question if her roommate is w
Kimberly McCreight
Mar 24, 2016 Kimberly McCreight rated it it was amazing
Mary Kubica does it again! Don't You Cry, an artfully crafted, wickedly smart page-turner about the razor thin line between suspicion and obsession, will keep you glued to its pages--and guessing wrong about who to trust--until its breathless ending.
D.B. Woodling
Jul 22, 2016 D.B. Woodling rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All audiences
3.75 Stars

In Kubica’s Don't You Cry, Quinn Collins’s kind and seemingly perfect roommate has disappeared. Further study of Collins makes us wonder if she misses the saintly Esther or merely the good deeds the missing woman routinely bestowed. Though Quinn comes across as a lazy, wimpy, and self-absorbed slob, Kubica – in that uniquely magical way of hers – persuades us to dredge up a little empathy.

In this dual point-of-view suspense, we also meet Alex, an eighteen-year-old boy, who seems to hav
Didi
FANTASTIC.
This was a suspenseful, nail-biting thrill ride. I adored this book. I clued in a little in the second half and because my mind was over-operating at full speed, figured out some of the incredibly engrossing plot.

Read the synopsis and that's it. The plot unraveled slowly, building tension and mystery in a way that made me anxious to find out what the hell was happening.
The ending was of course, bittersweet. Very good, but left me feeling a bit morose with one specific outcome. Wonder
Christina
Aug 24, 2016 Christina rated it really liked it
4 stars!

Sunday
In hindsight, I should have known right away that something wasn't quite right. The jarring noise in the middle of the night, the open window, the empty bed. Later, I blamed a whole slew of things for my nonchalance, everything from a headache to fatigue, down to arrant stupidity.
But still.
I should've known right away that something wasn't right.

This is the opening paragraph for this novel. It is from Quinn Collins POV. She wakes up one Sunday morning, in her downtown Chicago apart
Michael
Quinn and Esther are best friends and flatmates living in the Chicago area. Over time, they have developed a strong bond, with the two looking out for each other. When Quinn is woken one morning by Esther's alarm clock only to find her not home there seems little cause for concern. All she can gather is for some reason Esther has gone through the window and has left a mysterious letter signed "All my love E V". After a few days though with Esther not returned, Quinn desperately looks through her ...more
Abby
May 31, 2016 Abby rated it really liked it
Shelves: suspense
When Esther disappears, her roommate Quinn realizes just how little she knew about the person she considered her best friend. She searches Esther's room and her phone, and discovers one shocking piece of evidence after another. Perhaps most terrifying of all is what happened to Esther's last roommate. Quinn starts to suspect the girl she's lived with for the past year just might be a monster, and she might be next to die...

Alex is eighteen and trapped in a small town with no future. He gave up a
Noeleen
May 19, 2016 Noeleen rated it liked it
This story is told from two perspectives, Quinn who shares a room with Esther Vaughan in Chicago and Alex Gallo, an eighteen year old who lives in a quiet town outside Chicago. When Esther goes missing both Quinn and Alex’s stories merge eventually, resulting in a disturbing and sinister climax.

This was my first time to read a book by this author. I thought it started off well and it did keep my interest throughout. While not exactly a nail biting thriller, there were plenty of suspenseful eleme
Carol -  Reading Writing and Riesling
The ending will blow you away!

My View:
A well-drawn, detailed exposé of small town lives. The characters in this book are so well defined and written you could almost walk up to one of them in the street ( you would also recognise their street, their homes, their family, their work place… their idiosyncrasies …) and say hello as if greeting an old friend.

Be warned though this is a very slow burn. Yes there is a disappearance early in the piece but life goes on. Esther might have just popped out
Lala BooksandLala
Aug 11, 2016 Lala BooksandLala rated it really liked it
Don't You Cry was such a fantastically written novel. It tells two stories, happening during the same timeline, but from two characters who've never met. We have Quinn, searching for her missing roommate Esther, and Alex, who in a different city has met a mysteriously woman named Pearl. Of course these stories eventually collide, but in ways you never expect.

I gave this book a 4/5, it is Mary Kubica's best and I cannot wait to read even more from her in the future. Each time I read a story by he
Susan Johnson
Apr 26, 2016 Susan Johnson rated it really liked it
A well written story told by two totally unrelated narrators, Quinn and Alex. The story flips back and forth between and makes you wonder how, and if, the stories will connect.

Alex is a lonely 18 year-old, abandoned by his mother and living with his alcoholic father. He works as a dishwasher trying to keep a roof over his and his dad's head. His only real friend is an agoraphobic, elderly woman named Ingrid. He runs errands for her and she sort of mothers him. Then one day at the restaurant he
  • The Drowning Girls
  • Baby Doll
  • The Sister
  • I See You
  • Small Great Things
Mary Kubica is the bestselling author of THE GOOD GIRL (2014) and PRETTY BABY (2015). She holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio, in History and American Literature. Mary lives outside of Chicago with her husband and two children and enjoys photography, gardening and caring for the animals at a local shelter.
More about Mary Kubica...

“She is beautiful. Magnetic, really, the kind of individual who draws people with her idiosyncratic hair and heterochromatic eyes.” 0 likes
“Or the fact that the rest of the world has moved on, while I'm stuck in a life of stagnancy.” 0 likes