Start by marking “Women Who Hurt Themselves: A Book of Hope and Understanding” as Want to Read:
Women Who Hurt Themselves: A Book of Hope and Understanding

Women Who Hurt Themselves: A Book of Hope and Understanding

Many books have described victims of rape and battering, but scant attention has been paid to another form of harm increasingly common among women. Here at last is a book that provides help for the thousands of women who secretly inflict violence on themselves. Filled with moving stories, this powerful and compassionate book is the first to focus on women who harm themselv ...more
Published July 6th 2005 by Basic Books (first published May 12th 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Women Who Hurt Themselves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Women Who Hurt Themselves

Amanda
Jul 14, 2011 rated it liked it
Basically, this book is in two halves. The first half is incredible, easily worthy of 5 stars. The author approaches the topic of women who self-injure in a non-judgmental way--something that is rarely seen. She goes on to demonstrate an actual understanding of how a self-injurer's internal process works, putting into words something which we often cannot. However, the second half of the book talks about the therapy process she uses, and not only is it obvious to me that this process wouldn't wo ...more
duo-la
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
An informative read thus far, but I find it also quite triggering (which...is obvious/to be expected). Kind of problematic that as it's talking the readers through the problems/behaviours the book focuses on in order to help enhance our understanding of them, it can also enable/exacerbate those very same behaviours.
Maggie
Dated. May be of some help to others, I found it not particularly accessible.
Nadine Ben Hassine
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I just love to read this book
Elizabeth Gordon
While parts of this book were informative and interesting, I think the name of the book was misleading. This was not a book about women who hurt themselves in general, but specifically a book about women who hurt themselves due to what the author calls "Trauma Reenactment Syndrome" (TRS). While this may certainly be a real phenomenon -- that some adult women hurt themselves after being abused or neglected in childhood -- it by no means can account for all women who hurt themselves. Perhaps this ...more
Emma
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A very interesting book that I learned a LOT from. It offers a complex look into the life of the abused woman while pairing psychological perspectives with personal narratives. I really took my time reading this book and took many notes on it. I recommend for any future psychologist to read this book.
Jo
Apr 01, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jo by: people who do not lose books
Very dense book with a lot of information some repetitive. But an incredible book for those who want to work with trauma victims (physical, neglect, sexual, etc..) who engage in self-injurious behaviors.
I learned an invaluable amount that I will be able to use in practice. It took me a while to read it because I was learning so much.
Reese
Oct 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the world especially fundamentalists of any sort.
Recommended to Reese by: myself
i know all mine have 5 stars but honestly the books i red get better and better. her theory on Chronic Reanactment Syndrome i really dont think is a theory. its fact and im one of the patients who know it deep down. its very good too because she explains the proper wa to be a therapist so u understand the steps to treatment and they freakin work!!11
Sheri
Sep 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Women and therapists interested in Trauma Reenactment Syndrome.
This book is very informative about a new diagnosis for women who have suffered childhood abuse and/or trauma that changed who they are today. With a proper diagnosis, these women may be able to heal themselves. Very interesting.
Spook Harrison
Came really close and had to put it down, but picking it up again, I'm struck by how much I've grown and changed! TRS is still a fitting diagnosis, but I've come so far in addressing my issues. A lengthy time to absorb all the information here is necessary. A very worthwhile read.
stephanie
Aug 19, 2007 marked it as to-read
Shelves: self-injury
picked up at apa convention.
Kiera Gardner
Apr 01, 2008 rated it liked it
I took a look at this book when browsing through the psychology section at Barnes and Noble. It looks very good!
Jrad
Sep 16, 2014 rated it liked it
Good information, but quite traumatic to read. The stories were very graphic and I found it difficult to get through. There definitely needs to be a trigger warning for sure.
Joseph Brown
Didn't finish
Livie
Sep 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
*Sigh* Unreliable. Bases none of her findings on any proper studies, but rather anecdotes from only her own patients. Extrapolating to try and make women think they have this made up "TRS".
Rachel
Oct 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Very helpful for my career, but reads like a textbook
Amy Deal
Dec 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Bodily Harm: The Breakthrough Healing Program for Self-Injurers
  • Cutting: Understanding and Overcoming Self-Mutilation
  • Bodies Under Siege: Self-Mutilation and Body Modification in Culture and Psychiatry
  • Borderline Personality Disorder Demystified: An Essential Guide for Understanding and Living with BPD
  • A Bright Red Scream: Self-Mutilation and the Language of Pain
  • Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of the Self
  • Borderlines
  • Bloodletting: A Memoir of Secrets, Self-Harm, and Survival
  • The Good Patient
  • My Baby Rides the Short Bus: The Unabashedly Human Experience of Raising Kids with Disabilities
  • Traumatic Stress: The Effects of Overwhelming Experience on Mind, Body, and Society
  • Crazy Little Thing: Why Love and Sex Drive Us Mad
  • Struck by Living: From Depression to Hope
  • The Shutter of Snow
  • Sometimes I Act Crazy: Living with Borderline Personality Disorder
  • The Secret Language of Eating Disorders: How You Can Understand and Work to Cure Anorexia and Bulimia
  • Suicide and Attempted Suicide: Methods and Consequences
  • Whispers: The Voices of Paranoia

Dusty Miller’s passion as an activist, and her life-long addiction to fiction compelled her to write the adventures of Alice Ott, Raging Granny and cyber sleuth.Danger in the Air takes the reader on a fast-paced adventure from the quiet villages of Western New England into the epicenter of biological warfare, the high security labs at Ft. Detrick, Maryland. Alice Ott, with the help of a small band