Start by marking “Breaking Point” as Want to Read:
Breaking Point

Breaking Point

From the New York Times bestselling author of THE FORTUNE HUNTER
Andrea Yates, a suburban Houston mother of five, horrified the nation on June 20, 2001, when she dialed 911 and said, "I killed my children."
While her husband Rusty, a NASA engineer, was at work, Andrea filled the family bathtub with water and systematically drowned their children, ages six months to seven
Published October 20th 2015 by Diversion Publishing (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking Point, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking Point

Start your review of Breaking Point
Gayle Francis Moffet
An oddly structured walk through the Andrea Yates case. I didn't care much for how it flowed, and I'm uncertain why certain sections were included, but I did find it terrifying and fascinating to watch the events unfold. If you're of a certain age, you remember the Yates case. A loving mother, stricken with Post Partum-Depression and Psychosis, drowned her five children in the bathtub. The media around the case was a mess, with her husband going on national television and many, many people not f ...more
♥ Marlene♥
on Tuesday, November 23, 2004 I wrote:

I have read more then half but I have to say I am very disappointed.I do not like the way it was written.You do not get any reliable information. It is mostly hear say. I discovered this book was written in a hurry and finished before the trial was doneThat's why I have bought another book on the Yates case with much better reviews. Are You There Alone?: The Unspeakable Crime of Andrea YatesI will wait till I receive that one, read it, then finish this bo
Jlsimon
This is a powerful story. It is heartbreaking. This book describes the crime and trial of Andrea Yates. This book got 3 stars for the following reasons.

1. A lot of research went into this book - A strong plus.
2. The material is well organized, and well written - another strong plus.
3. I got this book as an audio and the narrator leaves something to be desired. Every time she says the word "children" she does it with a stabbing force that makes you feel the jab, it's a detraction.
4. Ms. Spencer d
Jill Crosby
A fair telling of the Andrea Yates case, from the morning of her crimes up until...? Everything is pretty cohesive and somewhat thorough until Yates’ actual trial—then the detail vanishes and the events are sped through, like someone who has a deadline to hit and the story they’re covering isn’t quite done yet.

I would have appreciated more detail on: the influence the Woronecki “ministry” had on Andrea AND her husband Rusty; her depressive episodes after each birth; family involvement; how much
Chris
Picked this out of my "pile" of unread books on my Kobo (is it a pile if it's digital?) after a bit of bingeing on some true crime/serial killer shows on TV (Mindhunter and American Crime Story, both People versus OJ and Assassination of Gianni Versace).

I was interested in this case because I suffered from postpartum depression, though thankfully not postpartum psychosis. This book filled in a lot of information I never knew about Andrea Yates's case. I knew it involved severe postpartum psycho
Nov 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tara Brock
Jan 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: true-crime
I would say 3.5 stars is fair. The facts are well researched and a very good additional read, but it seemed to be poorly laid out. I was wondering if she was ever going to tie certain parts together and why some parts were in there at all. Terrifying in its frank look at mental illness and the price that was paid.
Violet
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely Heartbreaking

I knew nothing about this case before starting this book, I couldn’t understand how any mother could of done something like this, but as I read on and on it became obvious that what this poor woman needed was help, not punishment. Reading what her life was like it almost seems as though it was a perfect storm brewing, she had no escape route and obviously didn’t feel she even had someone that she could talk to, until everything boiled over in one awful morning, thanks to
J Crossley
This is the story of how Andrea Yates killed her five children. In 2001, she drowned all five children in the bathtub while her husband was at work. Afterwards, she called 911 to confess. The book looks into Andrea’s struggles with depression, suicidal tendencies, and psychoses.

She descends into an obsessed with hellfire. The author took all the research and wrote a narrative telling the story. Although I was horrified when this hit the news. After reading the book I feel compassion for Yates.
Reva Lucia
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: true-crime
This book was a truly heartbreaking account of the Andrea Yates case. The book was very vivid and well written. A couple places during the trial seemed to drag a bit, but overall it was worth it. I will say though that this crime was 100000% preventable based on this reading. Andrea Yates was failed by the medical community and her husband. She never should have been left alone with those children. The details in this book are sometimes hard to stomach but if it can prevent this from every happe ...more
Kimberly Shifflett
Tragic Account

This was a very well written account of a tragic failure of the mental health system. Andrea Yates deserved better care and had she received that the outcome may have been very different. I wish more would have been done post trial to the several doctors who knowingly failed her. In those cases they could be viewed as just as guilty. I appreciate the authors research and effort in bringing mental illness to life while telling the tragic story of the Yates family.
Julie
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
it will make every hair you have stand on end.. I’m not a parent but I used to live within walking distance from the Yates home, was at the house when he got home from the funeral and used to see him all over town, living his life. Footloose and fancy free. He has a very creepy vibe and I haven’t heard many people around the area that actually even like him.
Susan
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Thought provoking

This book brought up a lot of information concerning mental health and the law, particularly post partum depression and the way it is dealt with at court level. The influence that Rusty and the preacher had on Andrea also makes the book and the situation something that should be read by all involved in the mental health system.
Sheri White
Feb 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019-reads
The case itself is fascinating, but the book was just okay. It went on too long, and painted her husband Rusty in a way-too-sympathetic light. They touched on his controlling issues, but I think he had a lot more culpability in Andrea's breakdown.
Jane Thompson
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
True Crime Story

This is a book about Andrea Yates, who killed her children while mentally ill. This book have me the details of this story and helped me to understand it. I had read nothing about it except the newspapers, so I felt this was more of the whole story.
Sasha Sierra
A lot of research went into this book but the focus is way too much on the pre-trial events and not enough to the trial/appeal - as though the appeal was just an afterthought.
Cindi Rosby
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very tragic death to five little innocent children drowning by their mother in 2001 in Houston. TX. A severe case of mental illness.
Lisa  Keegan
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio
the medical field failed her. her husband failed her. Yes, she killed her kids but it was out of psychosis.
sandy elder
Hard to read

Very detailed and hard to follow the court proceedings. Really does help you to see the incompetence of some mental health professionals.
Emily Sherwood
Dec 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A true story of how traditional gender roles, bad religion, and the ineffective and flippant mental health system in the United States can combine to have tragic results.
Cynthia
This is a book about Andrea Yates and goes through the criminal trial. I love books that have to do with court cases so unless you are similar to me in that respect, you wouldn't enjoy it. I was annoyed when I finished the book because it didn't even cover her actual trial, only her competency hearing. I had to go online to find out what happened!
Cynthia
A page turner! I had no idea the life Andrea Yates lead up to the tragic drowning of her kids. I found the book very interesting. I would have given it more stars if it didn't end as soon as it did...it ended before the capital murder trial. It left me sympathetic towards her, her husband, and of course, those children.
Bethany
Apr 15, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'll admit I picked this one up out of morbid fascination for the crime. I knew it would be factual without being sensationalized. It was still so sad, but after reading this you realize how mentally ill Andrea Yates was. The middle to the end text is pretty dry- court proceedings and descriptions doctor's notes.

I'm giving it 3 stars because I learned something new about mental illness.
Ashley
Nov 19, 2015 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
#
NC
Own in hardback.

FS: "The Houston, Texas, police officer eased his turquoise blue squad car up to the middle-class, Spanish-style house at the corner of Beachcomber and Sea Lark."

LS: "And he walked around the young woman whose hips twitched like those of a belly dancer draped behind her veil."
LaDene Mayville
A well-written book about a very tragic murder of innocent children. It's hard to give this story any higher ratings due to the true events that happened; but yet it helps to try to understand why a mother would methodically murder all of her children. Very sad story.
Melynn
Oct 23, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is depressing due to the situation, but very interesting to me. My cousin was one of the defense lawyers so it had a little to do with my family. Just a sad book!
Jordan
Apr 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Another one of those rare books to which I assigned a negative rating in my personal book journal. A real downer.
Renika Jacobs
Not a good book

It wasn't really well written and seemed like it left a lot unsaid. I only finished it because I kept hoping it would get better. I don't recommend this book.
Stacey
Mar 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A balanced look at the case and the mental illness Andrea Yates was suffering. I have a lot more empathy for the woman now. Well done.
Becca Ritchie
Book was good. Fascinating. The last couple chapters were slow going.

• Death Sentence: The Inside Story of the John List Murders
  • Murder on Birchleaf Drive: The True Story of the Michelle Young Murder Case
  • Evidence of Love: A True Story of Passion and Death in the Suburbs
  • No One Is Perfect: The True Story Of Candace Mossler And America's Strangest Murder Trial
  • A Twisted Faith: A Minister's Obsession and the Murder That Destroyed a Church
  • Little Shoes: The Sensational Depression-Era Murders That Became My Family's Secret
  • Are You There Alone?: The Unspeakable Crime of Andrea Yates
  • For Laci: A Mother's Story of Love, Loss, and Justice
  • An Only Child and Her Sister: A Memoir
  • Beyond All Reason: My Life With Susan Smith
  • Exposed: The Secret Life of Jodi Arias
  • Sleep, My Child, Forever: The Riveting True Story of a Mother Who Murdered Her Own Children
  • BOY MISSING: The Search for Kyron Horman
  • A Dark Night in Aurora: Inside James Holmes and the Colorado Mass Shootings
  • My Daddy is a Hero: How Chris Watts Went from Family Man to Family Killer
  • Imperfect Justice: Prosecuting Casey Anthony
  • Becky: The Heartbreaking Story of Becky Watts by Her Father Darren Galsworthy
  • Because You Loved Me
Suzy Spencer is known for her true crime books, including "Breaking Point," the story of Andrea Yates, and "Wasted," a New York Times best-seller. Her newest book is "Secret Sex Lives: A Year on the Fringes of American Sexuality."