Start by marking “Stop at Nothing: The Life and Adventures of Malcolm Turnbull” as Want to Read:
Stop at Nothing: The Life and Adventures of Malcolm Turnbull

Stop at Nothing: The Life and Adventures of Malcolm Turnbull

In Stop at Nothing Annabel Crabb brings all her wit and perceptiveness to the story of Malcolm Turnbull. This is a memorable look at the Prime Minister in action – his flaws and achievements – as well as his past lives and adventures.

Based on extensive interviews with Turnbull, Crabb delves into his university exploits – which included co-authoring a musical with Bob Ellis
Published May 16th 2016 by Black Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Stop at Nothing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stop at Nothing

Jessica Foster
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: australian
UPDATE: He made a bit of a mess, didn't he? Can't forgive what he did to our ABC. Not a great lagacy at all. He played to too many interests. But Crabb wrote a wonderful profile, she's fantastic.

Australian politics, here I am. Well only thanks to Annabel Crabb. Sure, Turnbull is an interesting person. I mean I don't see myself voting 'right', like ever, but it almost seems like he could be a labor leader. He's intelligent and I'm not feeling sick at the thought of his reinstatement--here at the
Benjamin Farr
An excellent, albeit compact, analysis of Australia’s 29th Prime Minister. Upon reading this book it’s very evident that Annabel Crabb was a worthy winner of the Walkley Award for feature writing for this extended essay, as it’s beautifully written, succinct, fair and factual, combined with Crabb’s unmistakable charm and wit. An excellent book -- not because of voting allegiances or intentions, but because it’s a genuinely good read.
Benjamin Stahl
I never really looked into the politics of my own country that much - America is just so much crazier and more sensational. At the end of the day, even now, Aussies are better at leaving politics to the politicians. Since identifying more consciously as a conservative personally - this was after the general awkwardness of the Abbott government - I aligned myself with the Liberals only by default. I am now much more inclined towards the Australian Conservatives rather than the Liberals.

Anyway, I
Jon
Sep 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extended version of Crabb's Quarterly Essay, it is wonderfully prescient. Very neatly, Crabb moves from interesting anecdote to anecdote, laying out a complicated character and the deep reservations of the Liberal Party towards Turnbull that would eventually be his undoing.
Dilly Dalley
I read this at the end of 2018, a few months after the Liberal party had dumped Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull in favour of the supposedly 'moderate' but really 'populist' Scott Morrison. After the by-election for Wentworth, where the Liberal party took a drubbing in a historically safe Liberal seat. After the massive win of the labor Party in the Victorian election and after Scott Morrison called an early end to Parliament for the year, so the Manus & Nauru doctors bill could not be voted ...more
Laurence Hunt
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Considerably updated compared with the original QE, and still just as excellent. Almost a new piece of writing save for a couple sections, with much more content concerning Turnbull's fall as Opposition leader, to his rather steady and predictable rise to the Prime Ministership, and finally a satisfying amount of insight into his Prime Ministership up until just before the 2016 election. Crabb remains the best writer/commentator on Turnbull, and this edition is well worth reading, even if you ha ...more
Ari
Nov 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read

An interesting book about the life and times of Malcolm Turnbull, good for bedtime reading. However the book suffers from excessive focus on political opinions. The book certainly put me to sleep!
Chrissy
Apr 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was very keen to read this, given I'm a fan of the author. Insightful, slightly disturbing, and an important read. I have more understanding of Malcolm Turnbull, but admittedly I like him a bit less after reading it - a bit too ruthless.
Eng
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book about Australia's ex-PM. I admire his stubbornness and persistence in accomplishing something that he perceived as right things to do. These attributes, however, impacted his career as a politician.
Caitlin
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
I read the version of this book that was released in the lead-up to the 2016 Australian election, which has had a few updates and additions since the previous version as a Quarterly Essay (which came out seven years and a leadership spill ago). This was released at the same time (and same publisher) as a companion book on Bill Shorten – so there was opportunity to read biographies of both contenders for the Prime Ministership prior to the election (I just didn’t get to it in time.)

First and fore
Shani Hartley
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading the background of our PM, Malcolm Turnbull, liking and respecting the man depicted in these pages, with some reservation. However, my favourite tidbit is what I learned from these two sentences (p.131): "Cynics call this 'branch-stacking.' Euphemists call it 'growing democracy.'"
The book was an education about the vast differences between business and politics, something we are currently seeing played out in USA, in the extreme.
If you like Australian politics and/or want to lea
Mark Dunn
A good read, but one which I'd only recommend to people based in Australia, with a reasonable grasp on the current political context. Without that a lot of it wont make sense, and relevance would also be limited. Still, for Australians looking for some insight into our current Prime Minister it's well worth the read
Brendan Waite
Jun 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This story of a man who is prepared to do most anything to get and achieve his goals is spectacularly well written.
I am no Turnbull fan. No L/NP fan. But, let's not kid ourselves... Annabel Crabb can write.
No matter how distasteful I find the subject matter I'll always read what she has written.
Karen Hapgood
Nov 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Annabel Crabb writes an entertaining story of Malcolm Turnbull. Easy and enjoyable read - even for people who are not naturally liberal fans.
Mark
Oct 21, 2017
Indi Eleanor
Aug 20, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Annabel Crabb has been a journalist since 1997, beginning her career at Adelaide’s Advertiser and moving on to cover politics first for the Age and then for the Sydney Morning Herald, where she was a columnist and sketch-writer. She is the author of Losing It: The Inside Story of the Labor Party in Opposition (2005) and the Quarterly Essay Stop at Nothing: The Life and Adventures of Malcolm Turnbu ...more