Start by marking “Lancelot: Her Story” as Want to Read:
Lancelot: Her Story

Read Book

Lancelot: Her Story

A young girl sees a man rape and murder her mother. She grabs a stick and puts out his eye. Her father raises her as a boy so she will be safe from men's attacks. She practices and practices until she becomes a great fighter - Lancelot. She wants to protect women, and she does.

Lancelot hears about King Arthur, a just king across the sea, and journeys to earn a place at C
Published November 12th 2015 by Hermione Books

To ask other readers questions about Lancelot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lancelot

Sherwood Smith
I have to admit at the outset that I've never liked the Arthurian cycle. Disaster turning on adultery has been a lifelong turn-off for me.

But there’s one exception--this book.

Lancelot: Her Story is the first half of the familiar Arthurian cycle. Though the author and I only met a couple years ago when she came to Variable Paradise, we've been internet correspondents for at least fifteen years, maybe longer. During that time I've read a number of drafts of this book, as Carol Anne Douglas/>Lancelot:
Bib
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another book written in my favorite category - woman disguised and living as man. I never associated Camelot, the Arthurian age with lesbianism...till this book. The ending is left hanging, so for those who dislike cliff hangers, might want to wait for the series to be completed before you start reading.
A.W.
Sep 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a long book but it didn't feel that way at all as I enjoyed reading every page. I thought it was a neat idea to have a female as Lancelot.

It was heartbreaking when Lancelot was in despair and I felt for her because of how the ongoing war affected her.

Review also posted here: https://wp.me/p4Pp9O-MS

I was given a copy of this book from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Heather Jones
Dec 11, 2015 rated it it was ok
There are few things more frustrating than a book that seems to be tailor-made to push all your buttons that ends up simply not working for you. Arthurian re-telling (check) set in a historically-informed post-Roman Britain (check) with cross-dressing female Lancelot (check) in a lesbian romance with Guinevere (check). Yep, should have been perfect. So believe me when I say that I went into this book expecting to love it.

Unfortunately, the premise is the only thing that the story sol
Morgan Dhu
Apr 09, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really wanted to love this book. For the wonderful idea of a female Lancelot, the best knight in the world as a passing woman, and the doomed love between Lancelot and Guinevere as a passion between two women. And I pushed through it, waiting patiently for it to 'click' for me. But it never quite did - though it came close at times.

I enjoyed Lancelot's voice, her innocence about the ways of the world turning to confusion, sorrow and pain as she sees at every turn the treatment of women and th
Susanna Sturgis
The title and subtitle provide the gist: in this telling of the Arthurian story, Lancelot is a woman, a nobleman's daughter raised as a son after her mother is killed, so the romance between Lancelot and Guinevere is illicit twice, once for being adulterous on Guinevere's part and again for being between two women. It's a long book but a quick and enjoyable read. Most of the time I managed to suspend my skepticism about whether Lancelot could have pulled this off. I must confess, though: I'm not ...more
Arthurianmaiden
Jun 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I had written an initial review of this book, before I could finish it, thinking I would leave it on hiatus for months and months. I actually decided to finish the book immediately so I changed my review. My first warning is this: I have read the first part (about 52% of the novel, if kindle is correct) in October 2016 and then stopped reading till May/June 2017. For this reason, I don't remember much of the first part but some particular elements, which is why my review might seem vague about t ...more
Valerie
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtqa, fantasy
Really, really enjoyed this book, though a part of me wants to reserve judgement until I read the sequel (please don't end tragically! I know you're supposed to, but don't..!)

Lancelot: Her Story is very different from anything I've read. It's fairly meandering and doesn't always seem to be going somewhere concrete—Arthurian slice of life, if you will—but that's also one of its charms. If you, like me, have wanted to spend more time in Arthurian legends but can't get past all the tragedy, this book (/>Lancelot:
Catherine Schaff-Stump
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I first heard Carol Anne read part of this book at a convention, and I had to take a look. The book does not disappoint. The characters are fully realized, interesting spins on traditional characters of Arthurian legend. The book examines serious issues such as romance, war, chivalry, and love, all of them in a fresh way without becoming anachronistic. This book is a must read for people who think they've seen everything that can be done with Arthurian legend. I look forward to reading the seque ...more
JB Marsden
Jun 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Arthurian twist

Douglas writes of Arthurian Times with great engaging prose that paints the picture of ancient Britain. The love story of Lancelot and Guineviere has the twist of Lancelot as a woman warrior, enchanting me. If you like jousting and courtly intrigue, this books for you.
Neveen
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I had started reading the second book in this series and I had gotten maybe 100 pages in before I decided I had to read the first one to get a much deeper understanding and connection even though I was already enjoying the second book. There is only one complaint at times it felt they it was a lot more saying than actually doing, which worked in some places but other places felt as if you missed something but the characters and their interactions with each other are great especially women like G ...more
Jessie
Dec 07, 2015 rated it did not like it
I do not enjoy histrionic revisionism. This isn't "A Connecticut Yankee" style "what if." It is a maudlin daydream carried on far too far. I do not like the author's style of writing.
cindy
Nov 27, 2016
Kathy Isenhour
Jun 03, 2016
Rawoyo Abdurrouf
rated it did not like it
May 08, 2017
Mar 05, 2016
Quadri
Mar 31, 2017
Andrew Peters
The legendary Lancelot is reimagined as a woman disguised as a man in Carol Anne Douglas’ lesbian tribute to the King Arthur canon.

Douglas, who describes herself as a “lifelong student of Arthurian and Shakespearean lore,” constructs a post-Roman, Medieval world that is otherwise meticulously loyal to the source material. Read the rest of my review at Queer Sci Fi.
Megan EM
May 29, 2017
victoria
Nov 26, 2015

• Don't Feed the Trolls
  • Witch and Wombat
  • Delay of Game
  • The Magician and the Cardsharp: The Search for America's Greatest Sleight-of-Hand Artist
  • A Young Man Without Magic (The Fall of the Sorcerers, #1)
  • A Borrowed Hell
  • Return
  • The Covert Captain: Or, A Marriage of Equals
  • Silver Kiss
  • Prospero Regained (Prospero's Daughter, #3)
  • The World of Caffeine: The Science and Culture of the World's Most Popular Drug
  • Silver Moon
  • Darkest Light
  • The Fall
  • Until the Sun Falls
  • Armed In Her Fashion
  • You Have Never Been Here: New and Selected Stories
  • Between Golden Jaws (Hallowmere, #3)

Carol Anne Douglas is a writer of fantasy novels and plays. She passionately loves the Arthurian legends and the works of Shakespeare, and is using them as the basis of her own fiction. Her book Lancelot Her Story will be published this fall, and its sequel will be published in 2016.

She worked on a feminist news journal for many years and published many essays. She has taught women's studies clas